Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downton Abbey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Lol, well at least you have it still ahead of you to watch! I'm jealous :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

See this is what's confusing me. It's out today and I'd love to buy it, but with this Christmas special are they then going to release another series 2 DVD which will have the special included or what? I mean it continues where last night's episode left off so it is a sort of continuation of the series. I kind of feel they'll probably release it as a separate DVD, but if they do release an alternative second series DVD with that included and I'd bought the first one I'd be pissed off. I really want it though...
    I received my Series Two DVD in the post yesterday, the Christmas Special will probably be included on the Series Three DVD.

Bonus material includes:
    • Episode 1 commentary
    • Deleted scenes
    • Feature - "The Changing role of Downton from House to Hospital"
    • Feature - "Fashion and Uniforms"
    • Feature - "Romance in a Time of War"
    I'm looking forward to sitting down and watching the series again at the weekend :)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to give in very soon and buy Series 2!

Going by Amazon it looks like the Christmas special is going to be released as a separate DVD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downton-Abbey-Christmas-Special-DVD/dp/B004NSUXHU/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1320872139&sr=1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ollaetta

No way, Sybil's grand. Branson is the incredibly irritating one.

I know why they've included this story line but I have to say that Branson is as wooden as a sawmill full of planks. Does he ever move out of that garage when he isn't driving?

I wonder why the Irish guy was given the surname "Branson" it isn't an Irish sounding name :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

folks, ive just recently started watching downton abbey and something is confusing me, lady mary is to marry that sir whatshisname but is in love with captain crawley who is heir to the abbey and her cousin???? and the family seem to want them to be togehter??? have i that right???
    if so, would that have been the norm back then or even now for cousins to get romantically involved? i thought that type of thing only went on among the travelling community:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, it was common

Before Matthew was ever on the scene Lady Mary was supposed to marry another relation but he died on the Titanic

The fact that Lady Grantham was American was not uncommon at all.
    At the time there were many estates struggling badly with debts. You also had many rich American families making fortunes in oil, coal, copper and so on. However if they weren't part of the New York elite they were basically excluded and on the outside.
    The likes of the Roosevelts or Jacob Astors in NY aren't going to mix with a super wealthy family from West Virginia.

So many American ladies went to England and married lords and earls. The American family get a title and respect, the English family get an injection of cash.
    Sure they pointed out on the show that Cora brought all the money into the marraige

Edit, last point, if the Earl of Grantham died and there was no male heir, then the Earldom is extinguished. So there has to be a man to carry on the title. You can't pass the title onto a women

So yes, marrying within the family was common, that castle was likely in the family for hundreds of years. By having Mary marry a cousin you keep it in the family

I think I've written too much :D

but would the kids not turn out funny? surely the lineage would get worse as it went on if this kept happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

folks, ive just recently started watching downton abbey and something is confusing me, lady mary is to marry that sir whatshisname but is in love with captain crawley who is heir to the abbey and her cousin???? and the family seem to want them to be togehter??? have i that right???
    if so, would that have been the norm back then or even now for cousins to get romantically involved? i thought that type of thing only went on among the travelling community:confused:
    They're only third cousins, so there's no real risk. First cousin marriage was formerly common.

ollaetta wrote: »
    I know why they've included this story line but I have to say that Branson is as wooden as a sawmill full of planks. Does he ever move out of that garage when he isn't driving?
    Not to mention that the red-haired servant who was fired seems to spend all her time sitting in the same chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mrs Ron Burgundy

ollaetta wrote: »

True he is a bit stiff alright, no craic for an irishman. He is hot though imo, maybe that's why I like him :p

Is anyone else a bit irritated by Lady Grantham - I can't stand the way she talks and those faces she pulls are HILARIOUS. Am I the only one who thinks this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Is anyone else a bit irritated by Lady Grantham - I can't stand the way she talks and those faces she pulls are HILARIOUS. Am I the only one who thinks this?

She's awful, but in a good way! Myself and the OH do be in stiches doing impressions of her "Carshon,where are the girlsh?" I was shocked to read that she was nominated for an Oscar in the 80s :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mrs Ron Burgundy

Sesudra wrote: »
    She's awful, but in a good way! Myself and the OH do be in stiches doing impressions of her "Carshon,where are the girlsh?" I was shocked to read that she was nominated for an Oscar in the 80s :eek:

Haha! Same as, we're constantly replaying parts because it's so funny. Shocking that she was nominated for an Oscar, her acting is bloody awful.
    Even though I know she is actually American it sometimes feels as though she's putting on a fake accent, it just sounds so odd and screechy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Haha! Same as, we're constantly replaying parts because it's so funny. Shocking that she was nominated for an Oscar, her acting is bloody awful.
    Even though I know she is actually American it sometimes feels as though she's putting on a fake accent, it just sounds so odd and screechy.

I was so confused by this, I saw her in an episode of "Poirot" about two years ago where she was playing an English character, and her accent was perfect, so I just assumed in "Downton" that she was an English actor doing a bad American accent. I was shocked when I found out she was actually American!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

but would the kids not turn out funny? surely the lineage would get worse as it went on if this kept happening?

This was, and to some extent still is, incredibly common with the aristocratic lines throughout Europe. All of the various royal families are closely related to each other many, many times over. Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are of closer relationship than Mary and Matthew. It's why Prince William's recent marriage to a "commoner" was such a big deal. (Though may be something like 12th cousins - once removed, as there is possible evidence that Middleton is descended from Mary Boleyn.)

Health wise yes it causes problems. Mainly because the risks of passing on recessive negative genes increases. Ie, the Cystic Fibrosis gene is recessive, if I was a carrier but my husband wasn't our children would never get Cystic Fibrosis and would not be likely to carry the gene either. But if I marry my cousin on the same side that the gene was passed from the odds are higher that he has it too, than they are if I marry from the general population. And if he was a carrier then our children are much more likely to be sufferers or carriers. If our children then marry some of our other cousins then the risk increases again. And when they marry their cousins, who are also the result of cousin marriages carrying the same gene, the risk increases exponentially.

Certainly one of the most notable of such health issues is the Haemophilia strain which is common in most European royal families, traced back to a likely mutation from Queen Victoria (who herself was married to a first cousin). You can read about it here if you are interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haemophilia_in_European_royalty

its hard to believe such supposidly educated people made such choices????
    also why did they all wear army uniforms while just sitting around the house??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

its hard to believe such supposidly educated people made such choices????
    also why did they all wear army uniforms while just sitting around the house??

I think the men of that era were educated in how to throw a fantastic dinner party, and how to run an estate, and the ladies in how to embroider cushions and play the piano, not genetics.

as for the Uniforms, I think it was probably a morale thing. keep the spirits up, show support for the armed forces etc.
    But Lord Grantham made it clear he felt pretty useless.

its ironic really that the aristocrats of the time acted similar to the so called dreggs of society nowadays the travellers!
    in terms of the maid who got pregnant, that wouldnt have went on back then would it? they didnt have sex outisde marriage i thought?

also the crawleys seem really nice to work for i was under the impression that those type of people back then were difficult to work for?

point of interest, lady marys father in real life is from westmeath in ireland!

its ironic really that the aristocrats of the time acted similar to the so called dreggs of society nowadays the travellers!

Marrying cousins is just something that was done at the time. Now it's not. It may seem weird to you, simply because it's not something that's so common now, but in the past it was. (And not just among the upper classes - it was quite normal.) Trends and social norms and fashions constantly change. That's all.
    in terms of the maid who got pregnant, that wouldnt have went on back then would it? they didnt have sex outisde marriage i thought?

Are you seriously that naive? People back then were still people - no more or less virtuous than people nowadays.
    also the crawleys seem really nice to work for i was under the impression that those type of people back then were difficult to work for?

Again, people are people - some are nice, some are not. Personality and character varies from person to person, not from social class to social class. There are decent upper class people just as much as there are not-so-decent upper class people.

You seem to have a very black-and-white view of the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Pat Kenny interviewed Alison Moloney on his radio show about her book Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants.

The interview is interesting in showing how far Fellowes took his artistic licence in portraying life at Downton Abbey. The family would not speak to the staff as familiarly as they do on the show and Ms O'Brien wouldn't be 30+ years of age.

The podcast can be downloaded here (5.8MB, 12mins long).

Marrying cousins is just something that was done at the time. Now it's not. It may seem weird to you, simply because it's not something that's so common now, but in the past it was. (And not just among the upper classes - it was quite normal.) Trends and social norms and fashions constantly change. That's all.

Are you seriously that naive? People back then were still people - no more or less virtuous than people nowadays.

Again, people are people - some are nice, some are not. Personality and character varies from person to person, not from social class to social class. There are decent upper class people just as much as there are not-so-decent upper class people.

You seem to have a very black-and-white view of the world!

yes in fairness my views are quite black and white i guess!
    its just i thought back then sex was pretty much out of the equasion with no protection and that.

anyway great episode tonite, i wonder will mathew and lady mary ever get together?

very decent of lord grantham to accept branson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I enjoyed Upstairs Downstairs, I bought the whole lot of it last year and watched it all. Very good show. Hopefully this could be a good show with a similar setting, I always liked that era of history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

any word on the Xmas special.

was there an Xmas special last year,coz I didnt see one :(

SarahBM wrote: »
    any word on the Xmas special.

The Christmas episode of Downton Abbey will be televised on Christmas Day on ITV1/UTV @ 9pm.

TV3 will be showing it on St. Stephen's Day @ 9pm.

(Duration: 2 Hours).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

OH Mr Bates!!!!

SarahBM wrote:

Nope, there wasn't one last year.

And it's two hours long - woopeee! Probably half of that will be ads though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,510 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

looks like Lady Mary's fiancee...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

looks like Lady Mary's fiancee...

Has to be. And we, in the Telekon household, will cheer aloud when it happens. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

at last!!! that was just amazing. can't wait for the 3rd series...just bliss watching downton

That special was brilliant!!! I hope the 3rd series is as good!!! I'm Sooo happy for Mary and Mathew!!!
    Poor Anna, I feel so sorry for her.
    It still hasn't come out about the soap though, is that the only big secret left to come out?
    And Isis, I love Isis.

Made my Xmas day!!!

Enjoyed the Christmas special. Thought it was well done - and glad to see that it did end on a more happier sounding than depressing one.

I can see some possible things happening in the new third season.
    Will use spoilers just in case I might be giving stuff away that is right and people wouldn't want to know or didn't catch on to.

Below stairs:

I can see Mr Carson retiring when somehow Bates manages to get off with murder eventually. As Thomas will have filled Bates old role, once again Bates will try to still stay a head of Thomas, one step ahead of his antics eventually by slotting into Carson's role.
    The hints last season of Carson not being well, will aid his exit from top of the staff household.
    When he goes Mrs. Hughes might go with him into retirement (and set-up a small B&B?).
    That alone will shift Sarah O'Brien, Lady Grantham's Lady's maid possibly into the leading female household role - and that will put the cat amid the pigeons!

:pac:

Interesting times ahead.

A great show.

That was so good. Totally didn't think that would happen at the end... had a smile on my face for a good 10 minutes after it was over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

About time those two crazy kids got together. :pac:

At least series 3 won't be all about will they/won't they.

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    It still hasn't come out about the soap though, is that the only big secret left to come out?

I dunno if it will ever come out. O'Brien didn't tell anyone did she?

I dunno if it will ever come out. O'Brien didn't tell anyone did she?
    Nah, I think that story's over and done with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I wonder if Patrick from Canada is ever going to reappear

Was an interesting story and when there are fortunes then relatives do appear looking to make a claim. So it's a realistic storyline

But one episode and it's done
    So rushed, if it was going nowhere they should have left it out as it's nothing more then a filler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Now that's how you do a Christmas special. Warm fuzzy feelings.

Sorry if this has been covered before but did Bates bop the wife or not?

• Advertisement

I assume bop means murder?

It was never revealed

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I assume bop means murder?

It was never revealed

Thought that was the case, thanks. I started wondering during the special with everyone totally convinced that there was no question but that he was innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm guessing Bates did do it - probably to be revealed in a later "twist" after he eventually gets released. He'd make a charming villain.

Yeah, Bates probably did the deed

Always watch the quiet ones!

ugh i really hope he DIDN'T do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Bates poisoned Pamuk as well, and infected Lavinia with the flu. He's been behind everything for the whole show.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Apologies if this has been asked already, my wife is an avid fan and missed the showing on Xmas day - she thought it would be on the TV3 player but it doesn't seem to be there, any idea why? Is there anywhere else she can view it online? I've checked both the UTV player and the ITV player, and the programme is there, but it won't let me view with my Irish IP address. Thanks!

Its being repeated!

DRAMA: Downton Abbey
    On: ITV1 Central
    Date: Sunday 1st January 2012 (starting in 3 days)
    Time: 15:45 to 17:45 (2 hours long)

Christmas 1919. Downton Abbey is hosting a lavish Christmas party, yet despite it being the season of goodwill, tensions are rife and Bates's arrest has cast a shadow over the festivities. Will he be a condemned man or will he be found innocent in time to dance with his new wife at the annual servants' ball? Mary has to consider her future with Sir Richard Carlisle following a contretemps at the shooting party and Violet has concerns about Rosamund, whose new suitor - the dashing but raffish Lord Hepworth - is not all he seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I loved loved the Christmas special and really looking forward to Series III.

mikemac1 - I think that the storyline of the Canadian cousin is going to resurface.

Poor Lady Edith seems to be a bit desperate to get a husband - that would be an interesting storyline too in the next series.

just watched the repeat of the xmas special again (coz Im sad like that) and I was reading the review of it on the Guardian's website (for some reason there is no blog) and there are comments just slating it and the series in general. Now I know Downton is not everyones cup of tea, but its not THAT bad, like.
    I love it. cannot wait to get the box set of S2 and the xmas special on dvd so I dont have to put up with all the bloody ads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement