Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downton Abbey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭paulbok

@ ryan606,
    The ITV add uses Lou Reeds Perfect day, as sang by Kolacny Brothers & Scala choir.
    Link

They have use Scala covers for all the series adds and specials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The more I think about it today the more annoyed I am about how they've handled the Branson/Ireland stuff.
    Well before you get too worked up about it you have to remember it's just a glorified soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

how are they going to free our Mr Bates, thats what Im dying to know!

Does anyone else find Thomas extremely irritating? or is it just me.

and I have to say I hope Edith gets a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 akiko

Have you done something jolly with your hair? I just love Edith and Sir Anthony!

I found episode one to be really enjoyable. Although I thought the wedding scene would be more romantic (based on the dramtic proposal in the snow) I loved the clip where Matthew is sitting in the church and you hear the crowd outside cheering as the carraige arrives!

So looking forward to next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

SarahBM wrote: »
    how are they going to free our Mr Bates, thats what Im dying to know!

About halfway through the second series Bates (as well as the Bates–Anna relationship) just really started to irritate me, and unfortunately that seems to have continued in the latest episode. I felt a little disappointment every time a scene went to Bates in prison. I don't see what Anna does in him and am not too pushed what happens to him.

Which is weird as I was such a huge Batesy fan in series one. I think they just turned him into a moany put-upon scapegoat and the continual run of bad luck and seemingly ever-increasing doom surrounding him and their relationship just got tedious and started to really grate on me.
    Does anyone else find Thomas extremely irritating? or is it just me.

Hardly just you. As he's always been portrayed as nothing but a manipulative, yet cowardly little weasel of a character who is only out for himself, I think the writers would have gone drastically wrong somewhere if you did like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Delighted this is back, I usually record 2-3 episodes and watch them together, with a bottle of wine and a fire on, cannot wait. OH really likes it also so its great. One of the best things of winter approaching :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 akiko

About halfway through the second series Bates (as well as the Bates–Anna relationship) just really started to irritate me, and unfortunately that seems to have continued in the latest episode. I felt a little disappointment every time a scene went to Bates in prison. I don't see what Anna does in him and am not too pushed what happens to him.

Which is weird as I was such a huge Batesy fan in series one. I think they just turned him into a moany put-upon scapegoat and the continual run of bad luck and seemingly ever-increasing doom on their relationship just got tedious and started to really grate on me.

Hi emeraldstar, I agree. I was always very fond of Bates and really enjoyed him standing up to Thomas!
    I thought there was too much time given to the prison scenes on Sunday night. They also seem to be hinting this new cell mate is going to cause lots of trouble so im not expecting it to improve just yet :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Which is weird as I was such a huge Batesy fan in series one. I think they just turned him into a moany put-upon scapegoat and the continual run of bad luck and seemingly ever-increasing doom surrounding him and their relationship just got tedious and started to really grate on me.

Agreed. The relationship between him and Anna never really worked for me but I was fine with it as long as it was at Downton. Now they're nipping in and out of jail every 5 minutes I couldn't care less. When I saw the cell mate I thought, I hope he shanks Bates, or Bates shanks him, anything that makes it impossible for Anna to visit him in prison every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Great episode
    Best part was when the crowd were cheering and you could hear it in the church

I've a feeling the cellmate with Bates will play a role
    Maybe Bates will get a vicious beating which will send Anna hysterical, I can see the tears already

It would be a distracting sideline, I hope the writer doesn't try it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I have a feeling Bates is not long for this world.......

• Advertisement

awh, I love the Anna and Bates relationship. I love Bates! Hell, I'd marry him, if he wasnt a convicted murderer. But I can see how some people might find him annoying.
    I know we are all supposed to hate Thomas, but I don't even hate him anymore, he just bugs the hell outa me. and O'Brien is getting on my goat too. It never came out about the soap, which I was waiting for all last series.

side note, I love the way Matthew calls Mary "Darling!" - so lovely.
    sorry. Im a pure sap. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

watched it today with no stupid ads every 5mins, i recorded last nite and fast forward the ads, brilliant show, so what is going to happen to downton ?there is no cash to keep them all in the high life, what about the servants they will have to go.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

cats.life wrote: »
    watched it today with no stupid ads every 5mins, i recorded last nite and fast forward the ads, brilliant show, so what is going to happen to downton ?there is no cash to keep them all in the high life, what about the servants they will have to go.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Oh don't fret, I'm sure it'll work itself out. Either Matthew will inherit this fortune and the Crawley clan will win him round with regard to keeping it, or else some other fortuitous circumstance will occur to provide financial aid or to recover/prevent the loss of Robert's investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Enjoyed it overall but Branson was a bit of an issue for me. I felt his character came on way too strong for the first episode of this season. I thought his feelings would be more subtly introduced over a few episodes at least. Got the impression that they wanted just to squeeze all the Irish issues into the one episode and I felt making him drunk in the episode was just a reason to get the whole 'Branson issues with class and Ireland' over and done with. Getting the feeling that Branson isn't good to have a well fleshed out character if they carrying on portraying him the way they are. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Missed the first episode - anyone tell me when this is back on again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭brian_t

Mc Love wrote: »
    Missed the first episode - anyone tell me when this is back on again?

The first episode is repeated on UTV/ITV next Sunday at 4.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Is this much good? Half thinking of watching it..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

qwabercd wrote: »

This is series 3 that has just started so it might be a better idea to catch up on the first two series? Although I'm sure you can catch up with the stories :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I really enjoyed last night again, so happy for Edith now although i think that was all solved rather quickly!! I hope she has more of a story line soon and Sybill too, I like both of them more than I ever liked Mary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shopaholic86

Have to say I was a bit disappointed they didn't show Matthew and Mary's wedding last night - other than that I enjoyed the episode! Although I am also getting tired of Bates, loved him in the first series!

qwabercd wrote: »

you mean you are not watching already :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I would say catch up on the first 2 series and xmas special first :D

Thomas is really getting on my goat. just get rid of all the valets I say, but then what would Bates do when he gets out of jail.
    I dont think Matthew realises what he married either. He will have to give in to Mary or forever be victim of her jibes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thread needs a re-naming to Downton Place :)

Seems very advanced if Edith and Anthony are breaking up via text.

Drama or wha!
    Love Sybill being compared to Maud Gonn! LOL and GO EDITH!!! I hope she like runs for parliment or something! nothing like a good auld campaign to get everyone going!!!
    I wonder what Matthew ment about the estate being mis-managed though. he was a little vague. I think Robert might have been doing a crap job for the last 30 years and now Matthew has to tell him! opps.
    cannot wait for next wk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Good for Edith but it would still be nice for her to find a love interest. Totally agree with you SarahBM - Matthew has a bit of b/s to clean up. Loved His Lordship's quote about Catholics lol - not feeling the love there lol

• Advertisement

Matthew didn't look that keen on Carson wanting to hire new staff. He'll probably sack the lot and make the rich folk dress themselves.

The Irish stuff isn't as bad as it could have been but a quick nosy on twitter shows the British viewers don't get it at all, they think Branson's just being a twat. I'd say the Dowager's "why are the Irish rebels so well bread" comment went totally over their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Yeah re the Irish stuff I thought it was well done that we heard Robert being Anti Catholic before Branson arrived on the run. And he wondered why he couldn't have a normal family like other people and sons in law " who fought for their country" - I wonder are the writers using subtle irony here or is the irony of that statement lost even on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Drama or wha!
    Love Sybill being compared to Maud Gonn! LOL and GO EDITH!!! I hope she like runs for parliment or something! nothing like a good auld campaign to get everyone going!!!
    I wonder what Matthew ment about the estate being mis-managed though. he was a little vague. I think Robert might have been doing a crap job for the last 30 years and now Matthew has to tell him! opps.
    cannot wait for next wk!
    Yeah LOL is right laugh out loud at Sybil being compared to Maud Gonn! She hadn;t done anything except run after her husband who had left her. . GO EDITH? whaat.. she wrote a letter and it got printed in a paper.. so.?..she was stood up last week at the altar... she wdnt have wrote the letter if Scrallen hadnt jilted her. she wd hav bn on her honeymoon and wd not have cared about this cause you are saying she is all for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

i dont understand, if branson was such a big republican then why was he originally working in the uk as a chauffeur for the aristocracy??
    poor captain crawley, that mary is turning out to be a proper c*nt. regarding the mismanagemt of of the estate it looks like robert made a terrible job of keeping it going and as we seen squandered a lot of money, i would imagine this is a reference point to the demise of these large houses....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

i dont understand, if branson was such a big republican then why was he originally working in the uk as a chauffeur for the aristocracy??
    poor captain crawley, that mary is turning out to be a proper c*nt. regarding the mismanagemt of of the estate it looks like robert made a terrible job of keeping it going and as we seen squandered a lot of money, i would imagine this is a reference point to the demise of these large houses....

For money. Michael Collins worked in a stockbrokers office in London. Getting to know the enemy was one of the reasons the whole rebellion thing worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 missdisco

must have missed Lady Gregory's part in Ireland's rebellions. I thought she just wrote plays and pined after Yeats.

LOL at Julian Fellowes. So, that was the tragedy in Ireland, those poor aristocrats turned out to shift for themselves. And Mary danced with one at a ball! Branson, you unfeeling knob!

(I heard somewhere that he was meant to be just a yorkshire lad, until the actor was cast. Why they didn't make him do a yorkshire accent or something and save themself the pain of writing this storyline?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

missdisco wrote: »
    must have missed Lady Gregory's part in Ireland's rebellions. I thought she just wrote plays and pined after Yeats.
    She was big in the cultural revolution side of things. Would host young writers at Coole Park, support Irish-language theatre and stuff. All very unbecoming.

missdisco wrote: »

(I heard somewhere that he was meant to be just a yorkshire lad, until the actor was cast. Why they didn't make him do a yorkshire accent or something and save themself the pain of writing this storyline?)

Allen Leech said he auditioned with a Yorkshire accent and Fellowes liked him but when he discovered he was Irish he had a "brain wave" and thought given the historical setting it would add more drama than just a plain old Yorkshire man with political ideas. Leech said he tried to get them to keep him from Yorkshire because he worked really hard to get the accent right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

The whole side plot with Tom, the Irish Republican, is annoying me at the moment. His character has become one dimensional and adds nothing to the show. Hopefully he goes on the run and we don't have to hear him constantly say the words "Dublin" or "Ireland" over and over.

I agree on the Mary issue. Cybill might be back on the table soon. Now that would be some twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I have to say I am going off Lady Mary's character - not feeling the love there. I also feel Julian Fellows although a good writer does need a crash course in Irish history. However, am intrigued as to what Mathew is going to turn up with the running of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 missdisco

Allen Leech said he auditioned with a Yorkshire accent and Fellowes liked him but when he discovered he was Irish he had a "brain wave" and thought given the historical setting it would add more drama than just a plain old Yorkshire man with political ideas. Leech said he tried to get them to keep him from Yorkshire because he worked really hard to get the accent right :)

someone should tell him to ignore all his brainwaves.

poor captain crawley, that mary is turning out to be a proper c*nt. .
    Id like to reply to you about Branson and Downton but your language is out of order. The writer of Downton wont be telephoning you any time soon.

con1982 wrote: »
    I agree on the Mary issue. Cybill might be back on the table soon. Now that would be some twist.
    Are you on something because that doesnt make sense. You sound :eek:

Cris Jones wrote: »
    Id like to reply to you about Branson and Downton but your language is out of order. The writer of Downton wont be telephoning you any time soon.

piss off mate

• Advertisement

i think she meant that cybill will be back at the dinner table in downtown which is the central focus of the house and indeed any stately home, you are either trying to wind people up or are a complete moron:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cris/overthenest - stop winding each other up. Back on topic please.

Mr E wrote: »

that chris lad started it with his crap but point taken, my apologies

My housemate who I normally watch downton with is back from a 2 wk holiday and has caught up on Downton, I cant wait to sit down sunday night with a pot of tea and a bickie - oh Mr Bates (said in my best Yorkshire accent) *swoon!

piss off mate
    Is over the nest a cockney...not Irish anyway with that type of talk..:D
    i think she meant that cybill will be back at the dinner table in downtown which is the central focus of the house and indeed any stately home, you are either trying to wind people up or are a complete moron:mad:
    Oh you mean Sybill who is already at the dinner table as she is sitting there last time I saw but then you don't really watch the show do you (or don't understand it..:D)
    Mr E wrote: »
    Hello Mr E... "over the nest" is the one using the "over the top" language.
    that chris lad started it with his crap but point taken, my apologies
    Thank you for your apology. Accepted.:D

What i meant was, I hope Matthew sees the error of his ways with Mary. If Tom disppears, then the lovely Cybill will be back in the house. Maybe romance could kick of between Matthew and Cybill. Its a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

con1982 wrote: »
    What i meant was, I hope Matthew sees the error of his ways with Mary. If Tom disppears, then the lovely Cybill will be back in the house. Maybe romance could kick of between Matthew and Cybill. Its a long shot.

......over Mary's dead body !!!!

I bet Mary can't have kids. Her and Matthew are far too happy this series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Didn't see that one coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I bet Mary can't have kids. Her and Matthew are far too happy this series.
    Looks like there is a good chance that Matthew and Mary
    will be bringing up Lady Sybil's baby. I'm in bits here, I liked Lady Sybil, I can't believe she has died :eek:

Advertisement