Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downton Abbey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

ugh i really hope he DIDN'T do it!
    i bet he did kill her, so would i if a had to pure witch she was, he is a charming killer,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

cats.life wrote: »
    i bet he did kill her, so would i if a had to pure witch she was, he is a charming killer,
    Maybe she killed herself and had the opportunity to frame him (like the Emmerdale - Charity and Chris story.) He has too much of a conscience, but then again he also acts on the likely outcome of what is about to happen, even if it's to his detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I think she killed her self, because she had nothing else to blackmail Bates with, Carlisle had her story anyway, and there was nothing else for her to gain. So by making it look like Bates killed her, she at least takes Bates down too. I think she was that vindictive.
    "If Im going down Im taking you with me" as they say.

Im interested to see how they try to get Bates off. I bet there is a hidden witness somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

When is series 3 planned for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

angeleyes wrote: »

Poor Lady Edith seems to be a bit desperate to get a husband - that would be an interesting storyline too in the next series.

She could back go to the farmer, the farmer would leave his wife and then they could run away together

Think of the scandal :eek:

Lady Edith looked pretty handy with the tractor. A life on the farm is all she wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

When is series 3 planned for?

I think I read somewhere that they're starting shooting in February, so next Autumn most likely.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    She could back go to the farmer, the farmer would leave his wife and then they could run away together

Think of the scandal :eek:

Lady Edith looked pretty handy with the tractor. A life on the farm is all she wants

Gretna Green anyone? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I thought the Xmas special was like watching paint dry. They really didn't have enough of a plot. Pity, because the series as a whole is quite good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ITV'S PERIOD drama Downton Abbey beat EastEnders because more people recorded it to watch later, new figures have shown.

ITV has broken the BBC dominance over the Christmas shows schedule, according to new figures released yesterday.

EastEnders was shown on RTE 1 on Christmas Day while Downton Abbey appeared on TV3 on St Stephen’s Day.

St Stephen’s Day viewing figures put EastEnders more than a million viewers ahead of Downton Abbey in the Christmas Day ratings war.

But final ratings compiled by Barb.co.uk, which take into account HD viewers and the number of people who recorded shows to watch later, have dramatically changed the ratings order. Downton Abbey, which was listed at fourth place with 8.1 million views, behind EastEnders, Coronation Street, and Doctor Who, has shot to the top spot.

A total of 11.59 million people tuned in to watch the romantic climax in Julian Fellowes’ popular ITV drama, just enough to beat EastEnders’ 11.33 million. Those figures do not take into account programme repeats or views on iPlayer or ITV Player.

Doctor Who came third, with 10.77million viewers, then Coronation Street (10.56 million) and Absolutely Fabulous (9.07million). The return of the BBC's comedy starring Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley at the same time as Downton Abbey may be one of the factors that nearly three million people recorded the drama rather than watch it in real time.

Julian Fellowes' next project, a mini-series about the sinking of the Titanic. The multi-million pound ITV Studios co-production is ambitious in scale - Titanic has an ensemble cast of 89 actors and will be broadcast in 50 countries in April to mark the 100th anniversary of the disaster.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/downton-abbey-beats-eastenders-as-new-christmas-ratings-released-2979351.html

I GREATLY suspected this was the case.
    I know many friends that recorded it JUST to avoid the too many advert breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Titanic project sounds interesting

I read about them recording some of it in Dublin last autumn

Something to look forward to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,571 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Downton Abbey has cast Oscar-winning actress Shirley MacLaine in the show's new series.
    MacLaine has been unveiled as Lady Grantham's mother, Martha Levinson, ahead of filming on the hit period drama's third run, which starts in February (Digital Spy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Downton Abbey has cast Oscar-winning actress Shirley MacLaine in the show's new series.
    MacLaine has been unveiled as Lady Grantham's mother, Martha Levinson, ahead of filming on the hit period drama's third run, which starts in February (Digital Spy)

Shirley MacLaine vs. Maggie Smith. Sounds like a title fight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Don't think I've ever seen her in anything and wouldn't recognise her tbh, so not particularly excited by this!

Don't think I've ever seen her in anything and wouldn't recognise her tbh, so not particularly excited by this!

shirley-maclaine.jpg

She is good actress great in comic roles and she is Warren Beatty's sister

She is good actress great in comic roles and she is Warren Beatty's sister
    Yeah, I looked her up alright though she's still just a name to me. The introduction of Cora's mom should be very interesting!

On another note, my Christmas Special DVD has literally just been delivered :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

read that in the irish daily mail today, no need for spy digital..sounds good, cant wait to see her ruffle maggie smith,s feathers.

Have seen several articles on this. There are quite a few actors yet to sign beyond series 3; that doesn't mean they won't, they may simply be still negotiating terms.

Dame Maggie is getting on though, so she may be wary of signing up to two more series :eek:

However, series 4 and 5 haven't even been commissioned yet, so these contracts they're signing up to or not signing up to are very much on a "what if" basis.

I wouldn't be too worried yet.

bought the Christmas Special for €10 in HMV today. S2 is only €18. I cannot wait for payday to get my Downton Fix.
    How much longer do we have to wait???

'Til the autumn.

• Advertisement

'Til the autumn.

:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I am so looking forward to the long winter nights, fire on and watching downton abbey with a good bottle of wine, love it. Obviously want a great summer first(weather wise). :-)

I am so looking forward to the long winter nights, fire on and watching downton abbey with a good bottle of wine, love it. Obviously want a great summer first(weather wise). :-)
    When that "Sunday evening" feeling will actually be one of joy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I want to watch all of this.......

But I won't....

Temptation of the highest order RD!.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I cannot wait for this to start again.........

have TV3 said when it will air????

youngblood wrote: »

Presumably not too long after ITV, which is mid-September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭brian_t

In advance of season 3 the first two seasons are been shown every weekday on ITV3.
    The first episode is at 5.30pm next Monday Aug 27th
    with the final episode on Friday September 14th

T minus four days and counting.

Bring on Series Three. Very excited :)

I wonder what the 1920's holds in store for the Crawley's. Im really interested to see where the Sybil and Branson story goes. and of course Mary and Matthew too.

and the almighty clash of the in-laws when the Grandma-ma's get together under the same roof.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Can't wait....was glued to it last year!!!!:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

SarahBM wrote: »
    I wonder what the 1920's holds in store for the Crawley's. Im really interested to see where the Sybil and Branson story goes. and of course Mary and Matthew too.

and the almighty clash of the in-laws when the Grandma-ma's get together under the same roof.

This is what I am looking forward to most :D So excited to see this back!

I have waited until this evening to watch the Finale.......(and no spoilers crossed my eyes!!)

Who says patience isn't a virtue???????....

Am so looking forward to the new series!.......:):):)

youngblood wrote: »

Downton Abbey returns to ITV on Sunday September 16th and to TV3 on Wednesday September 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

Downton Abbey returns to ITV on Sunday September 16th and to TV3 on Wednesday September 19th

Ooooh can't wait!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

i am SOOOOOO excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ryan606

does anyone know the song in the new tv3 ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Branson is hilarious.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Well that was amazing :D:D
    So happy its back!
    I wasn't sure about the wedding dress but she actually looked lovely at the altar.

• Advertisement

loved it!!!!! can't wait for next week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

"She is like a homing pigeon; she finds our underbelly every time"

The Dowager Countess vs Martha Leveson did not disappoint!

The Oirish revolutionary stuff was ladled on a bit thick, but at least there was an explanation for the drunken scene.

I loved every minute of the program.........

Great Craic!!!!!:D:)

i loved the scene where they were at either side of the door!! soooo romantic :P

ryan606 wrote: »
    does anyone know the song in the new tv3 ad?

I'm sure one of the songs used is Perfect Day

I found Mary and David a little tedious in this ep, I loved them last series.

Loved the dynamic between Maggie Smith and Shirley McClane.

• Advertisement

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

what were you watchin... lol :D

i think you mean matthew

littlelulu wrote: »
    what were you watchin... lol :D

i think you mean matthew
    My mind has gone today! Even when I was typing it I was like "...David, right?"

*fudge brain*

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

One of my favourites names.............:D;)

But I know what you mean!.........;):eek:

GSWxxxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

They still can't make the Branson character believable. But otherwise a big improvement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The more I think about it today the more annoyed I am about how they've handled the Branson/Ireland stuff.

Reading reactions from various sites from people who aren't Irish, and they all seem to think Branson's a moany twat who should just shut up and put on the suit. I mean, it is the most important time in our history, we're about to sign the treaty, the effects of which are still felt today, we're about to be in civil war, it is all really very important, but the way they have him just ranting about it, and seem to have tacked it on to some sort of class war he's also got going on just makes it seem like it's not important.

The fact that not a lot of people outside of Ireland know our history, not even in the UK, even though it's a shared history, I just don't think it's been dealt with very well. I read an interview with Fellowes where he said he was big up on his Irish history, and he wanted to do it justice, but based on that 1st episode it doesn't seem to be working.

I'll reserve judgement until we see a few more episodes, but I'm not holding my breath.

p.s. I read an interview with Allen Leech and he said that the Dublin scenes were shot in London and the first day he showed up to shoot the set was a street lined with people selling potatoes. He had to say something to the director to get them to change it. So again, I'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement
Advertisement