Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Can't help but think this season will be nothing more than a gimmick. 2 races here, 2 races there, half a season.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1267743256672174080?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭geotrig

HighLine wrote: »
    Can't help but think this season will be nothing more than a gimmick. 2 races here, 2 races there, half a season.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1267743256672174080?s=20

Im not sure on this ,it could go either way but it could make it a very interesting season as well , a tight compact season where every or any mistakes counts more than ever , shorter season could hold more peoples interests back to back race in the same circut could be interesting .

on paper it could be great short season of real racing and give mid teams a chance to set cars up differently if the mix of circuts suit certain car types to be setup in certain ways , in reality which is most likely the case with f1 these days it'll be a bit of a procession for a few races. but a least it will be short and have a bit more at stake.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Let's hope anybody but the social justice warrior that is Hamilton wins it. Please dear god.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,253 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Monza could be interesting if it was a title decider. Cant be repeating last years qualy shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Let's hope anybody but the social justice warrior that is Hamilton wins it. Please dear god.
    Plus a million
    He's no where near MSC or Senna levels, if he breaks MSC record this way I'll be super pissed.

• Advertisement

Lewis hasnt been great in Austria whereas Max won the last two in Austria. Red Bull be very excited I'd imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

A little over a month to go for the first race of the season. Woohoo!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

ELM327 wrote: »
    Plus a million
    He's no where near MSC or Senna levels, if he breaks MSC record this way I'll be super pissed.

Completely agree with you there no were near those two legends he fell into the perfect era for Mercedes and their dream machine cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inviere wrote: »
    Agreed. It's a cobbled together mess. The problem now for me is if anyone except Hamilton wins the title, they'll have the "wouldn't have won if it were a full season" monkey on their back. I also think the double header idea is total and utter crap unless they can intervene to make sure the second race actually differs from the first, what's the point?

The whole thing is a gimmick. F1 isn't a natural state of things like a human running fast or jumping high or lifting heavy things. The entire sport is a contrived gimmick.

But this season will be a one-off. That's for sure. But the champion will be the WDC. Every year a champion wins in a dominant car people say "they wouldn't have won if they weren't in the best car". People will probably say that about the winner this year too.

Listening to a podcast on the topic of the races being different. They reckon the second race will be a bit dull as everyone will have had a chance to perfect their setup. But the reckon the second start will be carnage. They will likely be holding grudges from wen someone overtook them at the first corner in the very same race last week..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Completely agree with you there no were near those two legends he fell into the perfect era for Mercedes and their dream machine cars.

As did Senna when he joined Mclaren in 1988.

• Advertisement

There is also supposedly a vote tomorrow about the second race using an F2-esque reverse grid format to prevent being identical.

kksaints wrote: »
    As did Senna when he joined Mclaren in 1988.

Did he have it from 1988 to 1994? As LH will have 2014-2020

How was ferrari in 1996 when MSC joined?

pjohnson wrote: »
    There is also supposedly a vote tomorrow about the second race using an F2-esque reverse grid format to prevent being identical.
    God that sounds god awful.
    I hope that doesnt happen.

For the second race they should use a different layout.

Lewis hasnt been great in Austria whereas Max won the last two in Austria. Red Bull be very excited I'd imagine!
    I'd be happy to see max win a WDC this year, hopefully the weird mix of circuits and two at the RBRing will give him a shot, making up for not having the best car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

If it were Ferrari dominance you can be sure the overlords would have stepped in to try and stop it, just like when rule changes were brought in to (Successfully) stop Ferrari running away with the season again in 2005. Not with Mercedes though. F1 is more boring since 2014 than at any time i've watched it since 1997.

God that sounds god awful.
    I hope that doesnt happen.

For the second race they should use a different layout.

I'd love the reverse grid. It would be a real difference from the first race. The faster cars would get back to the front and having to contend with the slower cars along the way would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Senna had the best car between 88-91 and once again in 94. So he only went 2 seasons without the best car and he'd some of his best performances during this 2 years but he also whinged a lot during those two seasons about not having the equipment to battle Williams. Considering quite a few posters and experts say that Ferrari had the strongest car in 17 and 18 and it was Vettel and team mistakes when Hamilton actually won the Championship I'd say there's a lot of similarities between the two if anything Hamilton's record is better than Senna's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭This is it

Looking back through various races the last few weeks it's clear on most tracks that Mercedes have the best car but Ferrari really do themselves no favors with their strategies and mess them up a lot. Maybe it's taking risks to minimise the Mercedes advantage but it rarely works.

This is it wrote: »
    Looking back through various races the last few weeks it's clear on most tracks that Mercedes have the best car but Ferrari really do themselves no favors with their strategies and mess them up a lot. Maybe it's taking risks to minimise the Mercedes advantage but it rarely works.

I agree, I've been watching a lot of the first half of 2019 on youtube and it's clear that ferrari had the faster car but through driver mistakes, reliability and poor strategy they lost a number of wins/1-2 finishes.

Bahrain and China '19 were the most recent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Hamilton is surely to be admired for his statement on discrimination of US.
    Hopefully he will get more support within the sport and maybe we can see US races cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

flazio wrote: »
    Could someone check something here, if we take the team that started as Jordan and is currently Racing Point as the same team throughout (like when we call Renault the Enstone outfit if referring back to their Lotus or Benetton days) is Sergio Perez the longest serving driver of the Silverstone team?

If you include all the historical team names and drivers then yes Perez has the most (121). In the original entry he was second (91) behind Adrian Sutil (109).

rock22 wrote: »
    Hamilton is surely to be admired for his statement on discrimination of US.
    Hopefully he will get more support within the sport and maybe we can see US races cancelled

Yeah I'm not a big admirer of Hamilton. I don't like much about him except his driving skill. And I really wish I never heard of him from one race to the next. But the discrimination in the US is fair game for anyone with a profile to encourage people to think about it. I can't complain about him highlighting that. Fair play.

skipper_G wrote: »
    If you include all the historical team names and drivers then yes Perez has the most (121). In the original entry he was second (91) behind Adrian Sutil (109).

Fisi could be there or there abouts. Two separate Jordan spells and a stint at Force India.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Fisi could be there or there abouts. Two separate Jordan spells and a stint at Force India.

He had 80 entries for them, so not too far off

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BikeRacer

It's amazing how well you can remember how good Senna and Schumaker can drive going back 20 - 30 years, and then conveniently forget the amount of times Hamilton gets racially abused isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

How is he a SJW? Genuine question, as I don't follow him on social media since I don't like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How is he a SJW? Genuine question, as I don't follow him on social media since I don't like him.

I believe last year he posted a few things along the lines of save the environment etc etc, as well as going vegan and encouraging others to do so, nothing too mad really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

I believe last year he posted a few things along the lines of save the environment etc etc, as well as going vegan and encouraging others to do so, nothing too mad really

I think it's his outright hypocrisy that people can't stand.Hamilton lives in tax haven, has owned a private jet and probably works in the most environmentally unfriendly sport in the world where he is employed by a car manufacturer, he's the last person in the world who has the right to tell other people to be more environmentally friendly.

Yeah really not too mad. I also don't like him but can't fault him for those particular issues. He put his foot in his mouth where he talked about going vegan for the environment and then talked about sending his private jet across the Atlantic to pick up his dog and bring it to America. He got awful stick for that and he sold his jet and started flying on normal scheduled flights. That's hard to fault him really. He's probably a bit of a fool more than anything sinister.

The drivers don't have time to be curious about the world or current affairs. Last year the Japanese gp was under threat from hurricanes (so was the rugby World Cup) it was pretty big global news because it was a huge threat to major cities in Japan. A journalist asked Vettel what he thought about it and he said he hadn't even heard about it. The drivers work on a need to know basis and they don't really give a shyte about things they don't need to know.

Hamilton is not being a out of order on the George Floyd stuff. I think anyone can get behind the idea that some things need to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton is not being a out of order on the George Floyd stuff. I think anyone can get behind the idea that some things need to change.

Hamilton is right on this regard but the sad reality is social media is highly toxic. If a white F1 driver spoke out he would get 100s/1000s of replies from people criticising him and if he doesn't speak out its the same

I'm seeing people tonight being labelled racist on social media because they don't think the March in dublin yesterday was appropriate in the current situation given people cannot attend funerals, are cocooning, cannot visit grandkids (in some cases some ppl have yet to meet their new grandchildren) etc. So they are automatically racist. One person in particular I know is involved with the sanctuary runners from direct provision centres and every Saturday brings 3 or 4 to the local parkrun and provided training assistance to these DP residents but some random person on Twitter starts retweeting his posts calling him a racist. Which can be highly damaging to a person's reputation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement