Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

condra wrote: »
    I'll do my best. I actually need a passport to get married. My fiances Employment Visa is nearing an end so things are becoming a little more urgent.

Thanks again

I would suspect that that would not be regarded as an emergency. I'd say you won't get a passport until everything goes back to normal. Of course, this is just me speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I need to get a kids passport renewed, I've all the online paper work and digital photo done, just need a garda stamp.
    The question is will it just be sitting in the passport office until staff resume work or is there some staff working on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"You can still apply for your passport using Passport Online and it will be processed once our service resumes. Online applications that require the posting of supporting documents to your nearest Embassy or Consulate should not be posted at this time.

Post Offices in Ireland will not be accepting applications made via the Passport Express system during this time. If you have already sent an application, your application is safe and will be processed once we resume services. "

From their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes you can, it just might take a little bit longer but you won’t be needing it any tome soon so don’t worry

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Passport offices are closed since March, so there will be a large backlog.
    They’re only dealing with emergency passports at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I read somewhere the other day that passport office staff have been redeployed to essential services until July

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Gammyeye

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Passport offices are closed since March, so there will be a large backlog.
    They’re only dealing with emergency passports at present.

Well that's not true. I was sent my brand new passport last week. Applied online, waited less than two weeks, no issues whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

jlm29 wrote: »
    I read somewhere the other day that passport office staff have been redeployed to essential services until July

Where did you read that? July seems ridiculous, I thought they would open June 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Where did you read that? July seems ridiculous, I thought they would open June 8th.

someone on Instagram asked about passports and got that reply from a passport office worker. I suppose so few people are going to need passports this year that there’s no point having them all sitting around the office looking at each other

Gammyeye wrote: »
    Well that's not true. I was sent my brand new passport last week. Applied online, waited less than two weeks, no issues whatsoever.

Really? I’ve been waiting for my daughter’s passport (renewal) since early April and I’ve been on the webchat several times to follow up and have been told their offices are closed. Website states the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Gammyeye wrote: »

Really???

We sent all our docs in March, kids passports. Nothing back yet. Meant to be flying July 4th and now they passports are out of date in June

The passport office website states that staff have been redeployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Passport office staff are DFA, so reasonable to suggest they are/were redeployed to repatriate citizens abroad as well as to other departments.

I would expect that they have at least a skeleton crew in Balbriggan.

I applied for a renewal on 18th and passport book dispatched today. Passport card printing ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Gammyeye

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Really? I’ve been waiting for my daughter’s passport (renewal) since early April and I’ve been on the webchat several times to follow up and have been told their offices are closed. Website states the same.

Yup. I wasn't in any panic with it, just said I'd stick in the application online and assumed I'd get it within a few months, it arrived less than two weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

fdevine wrote: »
    Passport office staff are DFA, so reasonable to suggest they are/were redeployed to repatriate citizens abroad as well as to other departments.

I would expect that they have at least a skeleton crew in Balbriggan.

I applied for a renewal on 18th and passport book dispatched today. Passport card printing ATM.

Most staff in balbriggan were redeployed to the Department of Social Protection to work on the pandemic unemployment payment.

The advice is to apply online if you can, and not bother with other methods if you can’t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Well my flights being cancelled so I won't need it anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Phil.x wrote: »
    Well my flights being cancelled so I won't need it anytime soon.

I wish mine were

Heading to Spain in July so I really hope it’s here on time!

Seems to be no issue with standard/simple online renewals at least. May be delays with passports requiring supporting documentation. No harm applying anyway, if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Whats the renewal online link.

I appear to be stuck in a circle of links which only offer more information on the www.dfa.ie/passportonline website. All pages have huge header of covid information, but none with actual button to click and start filling in details.

• Advertisement

G-Man wrote: »
    Whats the renewal online link.

I appear to be stuck in a circle of links which only offer more information on the www.dfa.ie/passportonline website. All pages have huge header of covid information, but none with actual button to click and start filling in details.

https://passportonline.dfa.ie/Apply/Passport

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

I applied in early January for passports for my kids. I'm Irish but live in the UK. I had to include my passport in the application and they came back and said they needed my birth certificate.
    By the time I had sent that covid-19 had struck. I've asked on the webchat when they are going to start processing existing applications but was told that they don't know!
    I'm hoping to go to Ireland in August but beginning to doubt that it will happen!
    Very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Gammyeye wrote:
    Yup. I wasn't in any panic with it, just said I'd stick in the application online and assumed I'd get it within a few months, it arrived less than two weeks later.

I applied on April 11th, standard single adult application, still waiting on it. Completely understandable of course, but curious that some are being sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Would think they might start to resume service with the changing of phases. Guess at the moment all non-essential travel is advised against anyway but might try to process any applications received over last while over next few weeks to have back for people who may need to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

I tried again today on webchat ... no change.
    They said to keep an eye on twitter for any update
    https://twitter.com/passportirl?lang=en

It looks like online applications are continuing to be processed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

From the paper yesterday - there are no passports being processed except for emergencies
    At present, no new applications for new or renewed passports are being taken either over the phone or by mail, as the coronavirus crisis has affected production of the documents themselves.

While the Passport Office’s online renewal system is still live, applications received from it are not being processed in real time but rather set aside in a queue until whenever the office reopens.

At present, the only way to get a passport in Ireland is in cases of “genuine emergency”, which include death or serious illness of a family member or for emergency medical treatment applicants. In order to process such an application people have been instructed to use the Passport Office’s webchat service.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/foreign-affairs-department-urged-to-clarify-passport-application-statuses-1003036.html

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

With all the EU countries opening their borders now to holiday travel, when will the Irish passport office start working on reissuing passports? I have managed to get on the web chat service, and they have no idea themselves but I have a holiday booked from last year which is supposed to happen in July and realistically its looking more and more likely as the restrictions are eased. Has anyone any advice? TIA

Looks like lazy journalism as members on this forum have received passports in recent weeks (non emergency passports using online service)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

With all the EU countries opening their borders now to holiday travel, when will the Irish passport office start working on reissuing passports? I have managed to get on the web chat service, and they have no idea themselves but I have a holiday booked from last year which is supposed to happen in July and realistically its looking more and more likely as the restrictions are eased. Has anyone any advice? TIA

The passport office will resume the processing of online passport applications from next week, according to the Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney.

https://www.thejournal.ie/passport-office-applications-5114161-Jun2020/

Advertisement