Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I applied for a passport online a few weeks ago and sent the required documents last week. Today, I got an email saying that I need to send them government issued photo ID. The only photo ID I have is my driving license, which I cannot send away as I am driving every day. Would they accept my old learner permit which is out of date 2 years? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I applied for a passport online a few weeks ago and sent the required documents last week. Today, I got an email saying that I need to send them government issued photo ID. The only photo ID I have is my driving license, which I cannot send away as I am driving every day. Would they accept my old learner permit which is out of date 2 years? Thanks.

Say it would need to be in date. Maybe a certified copy would do? Check requirements on site, should have answer

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭shayp83

Hi all, does anyone know if DFA will accept a photo copy of my passport as proof of citizenship for my childs first passport, my birth cert is fairly worn and i don't feel comfortable sending my real passport off to them, i could get another birth cert during the week but was hoping to send it all off first thing tomorrow, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

shayp83 wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone know if DFA will accept a photo copy of my passport as proof of citizenship for my childs first passport, my birth cert is fairly worn and i don't feel comfortable sending my real passport off to them, i could get another birth cert during the week but was hoping to send it all off first thing tomorrow, thanks.

Why don't you want to send your passport? They deal with first passports for children all the time and return your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭shayp83

Caranica wrote: »
    Why don't you want to send your passport? They deal with first passports for children all the time and return your passport.

I'd just be worried incase it got lost is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hi all, does anyone know if DFA will accept a photo copy of my passport as proof of citizenship for my childs first passport.

Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Just send your birth certificate. It's easier to replace your birth cert than a lost passport. If you're concerned about the state of the one you have just call into your local births death and marriages office and they will print another copy for you for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Applying for two of my kids passports, we'll 3 actually but the eldest is a renewal so not relevant. With regards to the two first time passports, do you have to send both the guardians passports/birth certificates or would one for each child do? It says documents for each application have to be in individual envelopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

macnug wrote: »
    Applying for two of my kids passports, we'll 3 actually but the eldest is a renewal so not relevant. With regards to the two first time passports, do you have to send both the guardians passports/birth certificates or would one for each child do? It says documents for each application have to be in individual envelopes.

You only need to send one parents documents with each application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I'm having an absolute mare trying to sort the photo for my son's passport.

Doing the application online. I took the picture myself (many times) in front of plain background with a DSLR stills camera. Well lit, etc, etc.... and it kept rejecting the photos I shot.

I finally gave up, went to the chemist. Got them to do it. Looks like a million other ID Photos I've had before. Uploaded the JPEG version.......same thing! Rejected.

Anyone had similar issue?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Does it say why it is rejected?

Did you call them to see if its an issue with eh website or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

any specific resolution or size limit, dslr would be like 20-50 megs, if not site issue seems resolution could be the culprit.

any specifics given for uploading photo, or why its rejected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Reason was.... "your subject is too close or too far from the camera." Or something to that effect.

As you can imagine I tried every range and the chemist photo looked like the last 10 photos I've done.

File size definitely wasn't the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just do it on your phone. Forget about the DSLR. I’ve done mine my wife’s and kids recently. Stand against a neutral wall and take a shot.

https://passportonline.dfa.ie/Apply/Passport

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ms.RBrite

Yes, I had similar issues even got the photo booth pictures, which were marked as approved but weren't accepted. Turns out it was the issue was his hair, let's just say he's got wild hair! So, I tried again, same pics only difference was I tied his hair up in a pony and what do you know they were accepted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

After you have been send a passport in the post does anyone know how long it takes for your official birth cert, marraige certificate to be send out. If anyone has any experience of this was it a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

billyhead wrote: »
    After you have been send a passport in the post does anyone know how long it takes for your official birth cert, marraige certificate to be send out. If anyone has any experience of this was it a few weeks?

They usually return the documents with the passport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

Caranica wrote: »
    They usually return the documents with the passport

Cheers. They didn't in this case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Like what ted1 said. I had the same error "your subject is too close or too far from the camera." when using a photo taken in at the chemist. I eventually used some random passport photo app on my phone and it worked first time. Took 7 days for my passport to be sent to me (UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I need to send a certified copy of my driving license to get my passport. Do I just get a Garda to sign a copy of my driving license or is there more to it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I need to send a certified copy of my driving license to get my passport. Do I just get a Garda to sign a copy of my driving license or is there more to it? Thanks

A certified copy will need to be stamped by Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm having a right pain with the passportonline website refusing my photos. Following all the rules and still photos are being rejected.
    Photo failure reasons:
    You must be standing in front of a plain, light coloured background. Ensure there is good lighting (not too bright or too dark) and no shadows in the background.

The photo is well lit and I'm in front of a plain white background.

Any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

condra wrote: »
    I'm having a right pain with the passportonline website refusing my photos. Following all the rules and still photos are being rejected.

Any ideas? Thanks

It can be difficult to get right. I got someone to take about 20 photos at slightly different distances and in as night a light as possible, just uploaded them one by one until one was accepted. I found the distance needed to be a little further back than they suggest and then they crop the image slightly. It's no exact science unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Any ideas? Thanks

I submitted an application a couple of weeks ago and it just took trying different angles and a completely plain white (not off-white or cream or anything, even though they say in the guidelines that will be okay). It was annoying at first but then as above I took a bunch of photos in one go and it was just a matter of uploading until one was accepted.

Thank you both. I’ll keep trying

I don't know what's going on. I've tried a dozen times now and it keeps failing. This is driving me nuts. The "Contact Us" page always says "Webchat Agents are busy right now."

This passport is getting rather urgent too. FML :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I don't know what's going on. I've tried a dozen times now and it keeps failing. This is driving me nuts. The "Contact Us" page always says "Webchat Agents are busy right now."

This passport is getting rather urgent too. FML :mad:

Would imagine they're operating on a skeleton staff if at all so passports may not be processed now. If you need a passport for urgent travel for emergency reasons they may be able to assist.

condra wrote:

Passport applications aren't being processed, they're just being accepted and only online at that.

The notice says if it's for urgent emergency travel you should contact the web chat... Could you obsessively refresh to try and catch a free web agent?

I'll do my best. I actually need a passport to get married. My fiances Employment Visa is nearing an end so things are becoming a little more urgent.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

condra wrote:
    I'll do my best. I actually need a passport to get married. My fiances Employment Visa is nearing an end so things are becoming a little more urgent.

Hope you get sorted! Congratulations.

Advertisement