Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So no need to renew it now as it is valid. Thought I had previously read that if it gets within six months of expiry one should renew their passport.

Why would your passport be valid until a certain date but need to be replaced 6 months before that??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you are irish you do not need a passport to go to the uk. That remains the case after brexit

That’s true too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you are irish you do not need a passport to go to the uk. That remains the case after brexit

Unless you're flying with Ryanair, in which case you need a passport but it's an airline requirement rather than a UK border issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

splinter65 wrote: »
    Why would your passport be valid until a certain date but need to be replaced 6 months before that??

Because a lot of countries in Asia and the Middle East have this crazy rule that your passport must have at least 6 months left on it, even if you only plan to visit there for a few weeks.

The Irish Embassy in Korea has this on the topic........

Travellers should be aware that the entry requirements of almost all Asian countries (not South Korea) stipulate that passports must be valid for at least six months. If you have less than six months validity on your passport, you will not be allowed to enter many Asian countries and will need to apply for a new passport. This process can take up to 6-8 weeks.

What validity do I need on my Irish passport for overseas travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irishfemme

Thanks for this, I actually thought I did something wrong when I saw I needed an affidavit for my child's passport renewal, also I thought there was no need for the guards to sign? But they do!.
    I guess the only good part is the savings on passport photographs cost.

banie01 wrote: »
    Just want to drop in to update my own experience of the Online renewal system.

i bloody love it.
    My son's renewal is quite a complicated affair. His mother is deceased and despite my having both court appointed custody and sole guardianship.
    I still have to go through the rigmarole of the affidavit, and certified death certifciate. I understand why, of course but it is quite distressing digging out the paperwork and getting everything in order including a visit to a solicitor to get the notarisation.

The new system, still requires all that paperwork (despite them having had it sent in twice previously) but it allows for all the verification to be completed by a guard and makes the process a lot simpler.
    This was my Son's 3rd (and final) renewal since we lost his mam, and by far it was the least upsetting.

My own renewal, 5 minutes with my current passport number, PPSN and PPSN card number and expected delivery date is 21/1/20.

Far far better than the passport express or direct application system.

Would love to see far more departments adopt this digital 1st approach to our public services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭banie01

irishfemme wrote: »
    Thanks for this

You're welcome.
    banie01 wrote: »
    My own renewal, 5 minutes with my current passport number, PPSN and PPSN card number and expected delivery date is 21/1/20.

Just to follow up on this, received my passport book this morning!!!

Unbelievably fast turnaround, 5 days ( 3 working).

There really is a digital dividend available in public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey all, quick question if someone knows.

My passport expiry date is March 2020. I am travelling to Spain mid February for a couple of days on this passport.

1. Will I have any issues with a passport weeks away from Expiry?
    2. If I apply for a new passport today, will it cause any issues as my flight etc was booked off my older passport?

Cheers for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

joe123 wrote: »

My passport expiry date is March 2020. I am travelling to Spain mid February for a couple of days on this passport.

2. If I apply for a new passport today, will it cause any issues as my flight etc was booked off my older passport?

Cheers for any info.

Your passport is in date when you travel so it’s fine, as soon as you get back apply for the new one. Do it online and marvel at one of the few things the state has nailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

joe123 wrote: »

Cheers for any info.

already answered earlier in this thread:

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/republic-of-korea/passports/top-passport-questions/passport-validity-needed-for-overseas-travel/

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

With the UK leaving the EU on 31/1, does anyone know if the UK after that date, will insist on people having 6 months validity on their passport prior to travel (EU countries don't insist on this but they won't be part of that in March when we are due to travel).

It's for a childs passport, am wondering if we should just renew online incase. Kids passport expires on April and we are travelling in March.

Airline website says we should be ok, just unsure if they hsve updated it with any changes post Brexit.

https://www.flybe.com/check-in/id-requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Fireball81 wrote: »
    With the UK leaving the EU on 31/1, does anyone know if the UK after that date, will insist on people having 6 months validity on their passport prior to travel (EU countries don't insist on this but they won't me part of that in March when we are due to travel).

It's for a childs passport, am wondering if we should just renew online incase. Kids passport expires on April and we are travelling in March.

Airline website says we should be ok, just unsure if they hsve updated it with any changes post Brexit.

https://www.flybe.com/check-in/id-requirements

Common Travel Area should still apply so should be ok: https://www.dfa.ie/brexit/getting-ireland-brexit-ready/brexit-and-you/common-travel-area/

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Eod100 wrote: »

Cheers, I looked at the site and didn't come across that.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

CTA will apply which was established before Ireland and U.K. joined the then E.E.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Hi, I need to get a passport sorted by the summer. I have been told I can apply for a passport online. Has anyone ever applied for it online and if so, is it hard to do?
    Do I need to send them anything by post along with my online application?
    I never had a passport before if that matters.
    Thanks.
    Sorry if this is posted in the wrong topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hi, I need to get a passport sorted by the summer. I have been told I can apply for a passport online. Has anyone ever applied for it online and if so, is it hard to do?
    Do I need to send them anything by post along with my online application?
    I never had a passport before if that matters.
    Thanks.
    Sorry if this is posted in the wrong topic.

Simple process and MUCH less hassle than going in, in person....Faster turn around also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The hardest part is getting the photo right, just follow the guidelines, may take a couple of goes if using a phone or tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

You can’t apply online if it’s your first passport. Passport express would be the way to apply, would probably be better to do it soon as there are often delays coming up to the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    You can’t apply online if it’s your first passport.
    The DFA website says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

steve-o wrote: »
    The DFA website says otherwise

Apologies, I was sure I read somewhere that online was only for renewals

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

Completed online application on Dec 31st, passport delivered by post Jan 6th. Best way to be sure of a proper photo is to use one of their recommended photo booths, costs 8 euro. Excellent service.

• Advertisement

jt69er wrote: »
    Completed online application on Dec 31st, passport delivered by post Jan 6th. Best way to be sure of a proper photo is to use one of their recommended photo booths, costs 8 euro. Excellent service.

Was that a first time application?...if so, I’d imagine you would need to send them proper identification by post?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

Was that a first time application?...if so, I’d imagine you would need to send them proper identification by post?

Renewal

I have since got an email from the DFA. It stated:
    We will only start to process your application when we receive the documents listed below at our Dublin office:

-Cover page
    -Identity Verification Form
    -Birth certificate
    -Documents to verify citizenship

What is meant by a cover page? Cant find anything on their website.
    Where would I get an Identity Verification Form?
    Will a copy of my birth cert do?
    What sort of document can I use to verify citizenship?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I have since got an email from the DFA. It stated:
    We will only start to process your application when we receive the documents listed below at our Dublin office:

-Cover page
    -Identity Verification Form
    -Birth certificate
    -Documents to verify citizenship

What is meant by a cover page? Cant find anything on their website.
    Where would I get an Identity Verification Form?
    Will a copy of my birth cert do?
    What sort of document can I use to verify citizenship?
    Thanks.

When you apply online it’s all explained. There’s a PDF with your details on it. That’s the cover page. A PDF that the guards sign (the identity form), a copy won’t do (they expressly stage originals only) and if you need any other documents they’ll ask specifically for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Apologies, I was sure I read somewhere that online was only for renewals

I was sure it was only for renewals too!

I did renewal for my mother and it was very easy. She got her photo taken in a pharmacy and they emailed the photo to me, I uploaded it with no issue's and she got the passport about a week later. Great service

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Koala14

Hi. My husband was born in Australia and has an Australian passport. His mother is originally from Belfast(father is Australian born) and has a British passport. I am convinced he is entitled to apply for an Irish passport. He remains unconvinced. Can anyone confirm for sure? And if so, does he need to apply using the normal passport application, or does he need to go another route? Can’t get an answer from passport office direct. Thanks in advance for any advice-it would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Koala14 wrote: »
    Hi. My husband was born in Australia and has an Australian passport. His mother is originally from Belfast(father is Australian born) and has a British passport. I am convinced he is entitled to apply for an Irish passport. He remains unconvinced. Can anyone confirm for sure? And if so, does he need to apply using the normal passport application, or does he need to go another route? Can’t get an answer from passport office direct. Thanks in advance for any advice-it would be much appreciated!

If his mother was born in Belfast then he is entitled to an Irish passport I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why not contact the Department of Foreign Affairs, or your local Embassy/Consulate in the country you are in, it's not clear where you are?

Us nutters on the internet could say anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Koala14 wrote: »
    Hi. My husband was born in Australia and has an Australian passport. His mother is originally from Belfast.......

If his mother was born in Belfast then he can apply for an Irish passport .....

Am I an Irish citizen?

If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship.

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/

Advertisement