Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cyrus wrote: »
    I thought cyclists were the most vulnerable road users? which is it?.
    I have no idea, I never said one was "more" than the other. I was simply calling you out for trying to weasel out of an argument with this pathetic denial that they are road users.

You obviously cannot come up with a good answer which does not make you look like a hyprocritial moron, poor auld weasel. Don't worry, we all know, you are not alone I see it in discussions on drugs and you are not the first to try it with pedestrians. Fingers in the ears like a stupid child.

i dont see people walking down the middle of the N11.
    I have seen drunks do it, but it was extremely common to see adults on their way to work racing across the road in a very dangerous manner at one spot on my commute, at cabinteely. They used to have to have gardai on duty. In the end they put in pedestrian lights, but you still see some dangerous crossing at that point, and its very common in other sections, people avoiding the pedestrian flyovers.

And as for comparing us to other countries are you incapable of any sort of independent thinking?
    Your suggestions have been asked all the world over, by similar idiots who cannot stop to think for a second. Are you incapable of any original questions? are you incapable of seeing the arguments against your much repeated suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

This thread is after getting lively. Two different topics under discussion:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

rubadub wrote: »
    ...calling you out for trying to weasel out of an argument with this pathetic denial...
    ...make you look like a hyprocritial moron, poor auld weasel...
    ...Fingers in the ears like a stupid child...
    ...by similar idiots who cannot stop to think for a second...

Its very difficult to take on board anything that you said in that post besides insulting the other poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,721 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have no idea, I never said one was "more" than the other. I was simply calling you out for trying to weasel out of an argument with this pathetic denial that they are road users.

You obviously cannot come up with a good answer which does not make you look like a hyprocritial moron, poor auld weasel. Don't worry, we all know, you are not alone I see it in discussions on drugs and you are not the first to try it with pedestrians. Fingers in the ears like a stupid child.

I have seen drunks do it, but it was extremely common to see adults on their way to work racing across the road in a very dangerous manner at one spot on my commute, at cabinteely. They used to have to have gardai on duty. In the end they put in pedestrian lights, but you still see some dangerous crossing at that point, and its very common in other sections, people avoiding the pedestrian flyovers.

Your suggestions have been asked all the world over, by similar idiots who cannot stop to think for a second. Are you incapable of any original questions? are you incapable of seeing the arguments against your much repeated suggestions.

thats beautiful, showing your true colours now, i don't often report posts but ill make an exception in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

thats beautiful, showing your true colours now, i don't often report posts but ill make an exception in this case.

Please do, then a Mod might come along and tell you all to stop going way off topic on the thread :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mav11 wrote: »
    Well the "whatever" come from nobody seems certain what the figure is. I certainly didn't quote it. But if the Govt can borrow at 0%, which they are currently doing, then I would expect this debt to have a similarly low rate.

So if for arguments sake, it is at 0.005%, then annual interest payments would be in the region of €150k. Which I would argue is not material to their current woes, unless as I said, they made a complete horlicks of it.

Have you gone through the details in the meeting papers and minutes of recent Council and Corporate Policy Group meetings to better understand the financial position?

http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie/ieDocHome.aspx?bcr=1

Have you gone through the details in the meeting papers and minutes of recent Council and Corporate Policy Group meetings to better understand the financial position?

http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie/ieDocHome.aspx?bcr=1

Put me out of my misery. Before I start trawling through all these documents, on a URL that is not immediately apparent from the main site, what of relevance if anything, will I learn?

BTW are you a local authority (DLRCC?) employee / ex employee? You are, aren't you??

Put me out of my misery. Before I start trawling through all these documents, on a URL that is not immediately apparent from the main site, what of relevance if anything, will I learn?

BTW are you a local authority (DLRCC?) employee / ex employee? You are, aren't you??
    Nope, not a current or ex-employee. You have agendas, minutes and links to webcasts of Council meetings. You really can't complain about democratic defecits unless you review the existing info.

Had to travel from Stillorgan to DL this afternoon around 4pm. Traffic was backed up along Stillorgan park almost to the N11. Absolutely jammed:(

Had plenty of time when approaching the junction with Carysfort Ave to see what the hold up / problem was. The sequencing of the lights to cross Carysfort Ave was 7 secs green followed by over 60 secs red. Now depending on how dozy the front cars were up to 5 cars could get through on the green sequence. By my reckoning many more cars were being added to the back end of the queue during the 60 sec red sequence than released during the short green sequence.

So it would seem that this lends some support to the arguments both here and on the travel / transport forum, that it is the change in light sequences to favour pedestrians that is leading to congestion not the provision of additional cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

thats beautiful, showing your true colours now,
    You showed yourself up as a troll a good while back, and it was far from beautiful, it's cringeworthy stuff.

You should actually look up what they do in other countries, it would really sicken & infuriate the likes of yourself, like how some countries actually pay people to cycle to work rather than tax them.

• Advertisement

Nope, not a current or ex-employee. You have agendas, minutes and links to webcasts of Council meetings. You really can't complain about democratic defecits unless you review the existing info.

Life is too short to go to obscure parts of a website where Local Authorities and Govt Depts hide information while at the same time being able to say that all the information is available!!

For gods sake, they state that the relevant information to this decision is being withheld from the public! Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

From your URL http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/mgMsg.aspx?T=1064933&M=1064934

or this one http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/mgMsg.aspx?T=1064960&M=1064961

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK Folks, any further discussionof cycling/driving needs to be takenbto the transport forum. That conversation is not specific enough to Dun Laoghaire and is boring your fellow forum members to tears.

Life is too short to go to obscure parts of a website where Local Authorities and Govt Depts hide information while at the same time being able to say that all the information is available!!

For gods sake, they state that the relevant information to this decision is being withheld from the public! Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

From your URL http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/mgMsg.aspx?T=1064933&M=1064934

or this one http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/mgMsg.aspx?T=1064960&M=1064961

I'm not trying to defend anything or anyone. I'm just sharing the link where you can find some of the information you were looking for.

You're welcome.

When you publish lots of stuff, then EVERY link is an obscure part of the website.

I'm not trying to defend anything or anyone. I'm just sharing the link where you can find some of the information you were looking for.

You're welcome.

When you publish lots of stuff, then EVERY link is an obscure part of the website.

Are you sure that you are not a public / civil servant current or ex?? I certainly would put money that you are / were:D

Are you sure that you are not a public / civil servant current or ex??

You're asking a different question now. Why would that be of any relevance?

You're asking a different question now. Why would that be of any relevance?

You are still being evasive.

You are still being evasive.

You asked one question, and I gave a very clear and specific answer.

Now you're asking a different question which doesn't seem to have any relevance to this discussion. If you'd like to explain the relevance, I'll consider answering.

If I was once a teacher, or once a nurse, or once an OPW tour guide, is that relevant to this discussion?

Now you're asking a different question which doesn't seem to have any relevance to this discussion. If you'd like to explain the relevance, I'll consider answering.

If I was once a teacher, or once a nurse, or once an OPW tour guide, is that relevant to this discussion?

In the non civil / public service world one is allowed to ask more than one question.

The relevance lies in the fact that I have noticed that your replies to questions seems like your responding to a Parliamentary Question (PQ). Not designed to mislead, but not giving the whole story either. Bit evasive, cover your ar*e.

Of course I could be wrong.

By the way I'm guessing you were never a front line teacher or nurse, more HEO or AP.

In the non civil / public service world one is allowed to ask more than one question.

The relevance lies in the fact that I have noticed that your replies to questions seems like your responding to a Parliamentary Question (PQ). Not designed to mislead, but not giving the whole story either. Bit evasive, cover your ar*e.

Of course I could be wrong.

I've no skin in this game. I don't work for DLR. It's not my website. It's not my decision to leave the tax at the default level.

It's great to see that people ARE interested in how local government works, but if you're really concerned, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect you to read up on the stuff before you go spouting off about how everything is hidden.

I'm not sure how much information is on that site. I couldn't find the latest financial information, though the 2019 accounts are there.

If you're really interested, phone a local Councillor tomorrow, explain your concern, and you'll probably be able to get your hands on the financials within 24 hours. If you want things to change, give them a bollicking about why you had to phone to get your hands on it.

If you just want to have a bit of a whinge, then whinge away.

• Advertisement

I've no skin in this game. I don't work for DLR. It's not my website. It's not my decision to leave the tax at the default level.

It's great to see that people ARE interested in how local government works, but if you're really concerned, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect you to read up on the stuff before you go spouting off about how everything is hidden.

I'm not sure how much information is on that site. I couldn't find the latest financial information, though the 2019 accounts are there.

If you're really interested, phone a local Councillor tomorrow, explain your concern, and you'll probably be able to get your hands on the financials within 24 hours. If you want things to change, give them a bollicking about why you had to phone to get your hands on it.

If you just want to have a bit of a whinge, then whinge away.

Spouting off is a bit harsh isn't it?

The 2019 unaudited accounts are there and I never complained that everything is hidden, just the financial information relevant to the LPT decision.

Not whinging, just trying to bring satisfactory levels of transparency, accountability and governance to those who are spending MY money.

Spouting off is a bit harsh isn't it?

The 2019 unaudited accounts are there and I never complained that everything is hidden, just the financial information relevant to the LPT decision.

Not whinging, just trying to bring satisfactory levels of transparency, accountability and governance to those who are spending MY money.

So is it worth a 5-10 minute phone call tomorrow to try to get the info that you need?

So is it worth a 5-10 minute phone call tomorrow to try to get the info that you need?

You're missing the point completely. I remember a few years ago trying to get financial information from DLRCC, took 3 months and they posted it out to me.:(

I'm not going and shouldn't need to go there again. Such information should be easily and readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭josip

A good few years ago when we were younger and more naive, my partner in work rang the council to get an explanation of what we as a business get for paying our rates and how they were calculated.

He expected to be told a list of services, like lighting, etc, but instead the person he spoke to said that "rates were used to make up the difference between what we take in and what we pay out."

josip wrote: »
    A good few years ago when we were younger and more naive, my partner in work rang the council to get an explanation of what we as a business get for paying our rates and how they were calculated.

He expected to be told a list of services, like lighting, etc, but instead the person he spoke to said that "rates were used to make up the difference between what we take in and what we pay out."

I’d well believe it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

ted1 wrote: »

This might be a stupid question but will the pocket in the buoy keep things (my keys) dry? Thats all I need it for really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

jams100 wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but will the pocket in the buoy keep things (my keys) dry? Thats all I need it for really

Probably better in the swimming forum but no, not in the Decathlon buoy. They only appear to have an external net. The more expensive ones like the ones from the site below have internal waterproof sections which will keep everything dry. Personally I put phone, keys ect into a small plastic bag and then into the buoy for double protection. if you want to get one locally Viking Marine in Dun Laoghaire sell good ones. About 40 euro..

https://www.saferswimmer.eu/screen/product/safer-swimmer-heavy-duty

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I leave my phone in the car and just leave the key in my pocket with the rest of my gear.
    If I’m on the bike I’ll just leave it with my gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ted1 wrote: »
    I leave my phone in the car and just leave the key in my pocket with the rest of my gear.
    If I’m on the bike I’ll just leave it with my gear.

Thats what most people do however there was a relatively large scale theft in Seapoint last October where a lot of keys/wallets/phones were taken. Probably ok this time of the year when swimming areas are busy but more likely to happen when only a few people about..

One of the original proposals for the new DL baths site was for a swimming area and locker facilities but I cant see the locker aspect mentioned anymore. It just mentioned an area for changing. Maybe I dreamt up the lockers

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/baths_background.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

do we know when these baths will be completed?

and will the water be heated in anyway? i know that might make sound a bit soft, but it'd be amazing.

Advertisement