Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭JayRoc

My neighbour parkes a yacht on a trailer on the footpath on a regular basis, Gardai and DLRCC were informed...............nothing ever happens.

I can't speak for the rest of DLRCC but that sort of thing is a huge problem around where I live (well...not yachts, but...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

strandroad wrote: »
    It doesn't necessarily equal driving though. My neighbour is disabled, she uses her mobility scooter locally and only drives to hospital appointments. Her problems are: the lack of footpaths and crossings, footpaths not wide enough for scooters especially when scooters or buggies pass, cars parked on footpaths.
    Some of them are only forced to drive or be driven because of such issues.

I'm specifically referring to special parking permits, if parking on public roads is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I’m all for everyone cycling

As soon we get everyone wearing helmets and enforcement if not, everyone insured , everyone with a registration plate , everyone passing a test to use public roads and everyone paying road tax then let’s go for it.

My neighbour parkes a yacht on a trailer on the footpath on a regular basis, Gardai and DLRCC were informed...............nothing ever happens.

Yacht or a boat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

Cyrus wrote:
    As soon we get everyone wearing helmets and enforcement if not, everyone insured , everyone with a registration plate , everyone passing a test to use public roads and everyone paying road tax then let’s go for it.

That's anti-cyclist bingo for me. :)

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    That's anti-cyclist bingo for me. :)

Not really if it’s to be the dominant mode of transport in the city replacing cars as some posters advocate then why wouldn’t the same rules and structures apply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cyrus wrote: »

WTF?

Plenty of reasons not to wear helmets ( which aren’t mandatory)look at the studies. Actually drivers and people travelling in cars would be well to wear helmets and neck braces

Insurance ? That’s just begrudgary. It’s not needed as the cost of claims would be minuscule, cars is compulsory because they are in accidents where damages are outside most peoples means.

Tax? Cyclists pay tax. Motor tax don’t have a motor. Also the wear and tear on a road is tiny compared to a car. They are also 10 kg v 1500+kg
    They are 1.5 ft wide vs 6 ft. The cost of providing infrastructure is much cheaper as they don’t carry the sane weight. The cost of land is cheaper as they need much less width. E.g a bi directional lane fits in a 1 way road

In summary you are grasping at straws and making yourself look silly now.

Not really if it’s to be the dominant mode of transport in the city replacing cars as some posters advocate then why wouldn’t the same rules and structures apply ?

Because they are very different forms of transport. If a car hits a wall at 20 kmh the damage will be severe. If a cyclists hit it he’d bounce off and end up on the ground.
    The standard cyclist Doesn’t go over 25kmh. Motorist ifyen travel at 60+ in urban areas

ted1 wrote: »
    WTF?

Plenty of reasons not to wear helmets ( which aren’t mandatory)look at the studies. Actually drivers and people travelling in cars would be well to wear helmets and neck braces

Insurance ? That’s just begrudgary. It’s not needed as the cost of claims would be minuscule, cars is compulsory because they are in accidents where damages are outside most peoples means.

Tax? Cyclists pay tax. Motor tax don’t have a motor. Also the wear and tear on a road is tiny compared to a car. They are also 10 kg v 1500+kg
    They are 1.5 ft wide vs 6 ft. The cost of providing infrastructure is much cheaper as they don’t carry the sane weight. The cost of land is cheaper as they need much less width. E.g a bi directional lane fits in a 1 way road

In summary you are grasping at straws and making yourself look silly now.

I’m sure someone can give a reason not to wear a seatbelt aswell

As I said if bikes are to become the dominant mode of transport as some of you are advocating then all of this needs to be put in place.

If a cyclist coming down Killiney hill at 40kmph wipes me out and severely injures me, who pays ? They should have insurance silly to suggest not.

It’ll be cheaper of course as chances of that are slimmer but they aren’t non existent.

And re tax call it road tax if you prefer , feel better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

As I said if bikes are to become the dominant mode of transport as some of you are advocating then all of this needs to be put in place.

If a cyclist coming down Killiney hill at 40kmph wipes me out and severely injures me, who pays ? They should have insurance silly to suggest not.

It’ll be cheaper of course as chances of that are slimmer but they aren’t non existent.

How do you think they manage in the big cycling cities on the continent where cycling is the dominant mode of transport?

Well they have no insurance, rarely wear helmets and no registration I am aware of. So why should we be any different? For once lets take something good that is working in other countries and not try to change it...Irish style

A point that many people are missing is that in future cycle lanes such as the ones in the DLR area will be used by people on mobility scooters and other small modes of transport for people with mobility issues. this is happening on the continent so it will open up options for elderly people who can no longer drive and people with disabilities

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbicycledutch.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F12%2F06%2Fwho-else-benefits-from-the-dutch-cycling-infrastructure%2F&psig=AOvVaw1W3Ks0024PQOPSk7Wunp3N&ust=1600367922858000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNCXzKCp7usCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

• Advertisement

You are just a begrudgar who fails to understand the basic laws of physics and the difference between a self propelled 10kg bike v a mechanical propelled vehicle weighing over 1500kg.

Has anyone ever been taking out by a bike at 40kmh on killiney hill. A note to take is that any member of a club or cycling Ireland has insurance.
    As for tax, roads are subsidiesed out of general funds as drivers don’t pay enough. What are your view in footpaths and also bus lanes. Each bus driver has their journey subsided too

Also many cyclists pay road tax but leave the car at home , this reducing traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

If a pedestrian comes around a corner and bumps an old pensioner to the ground, who pays?

Great idea, a few questions:

L & N Plates?
    2 Stabilizers for those on L plates?
    1 Stabilizer for those on N plates?
    Theory test?
    What happens if a child cycling to school can't afford insurance from her pocket money?
    Do we include scooters?
    Where would you put the plate?
    Do those (the majority) who pay motor tax get a reduction as they are now paying bike tax?

I could go on.

If a pedestrian comes around a corner and bumps an old pensioner to the ground, who pays?

Depends on how liability is determined if a civil case is taken.

Who always picks up the bill, us!!!!

Mav11 wrote: »

L & N Plates?
    2 Stabilizers for those on L plates?
    1 Stabilizer for those on N plates?
    Theory test?
    What happens if a child cycling to school can't afford insurance from her pocket money?
    Do we include scooters?
    Where would you put the plate?
    Do those (the majority) who pay motor tax get a reduction as they are now paying bike tax?

I could go on.

I’ll come back to you in it tomorrow there are easy answers to all of those questions

I’ll come back to you in it tomorrow there are easy answers to all of those questions

I can't wait:)

You are just a begrudgar who fails to understand the basic laws of physics and the difference between a self propelled 10kg bike v a mechanical propelled vehicle weighing over 1500kg.

Has anyone ever been taking out by a bike at 40kmh on killiney hill. A note to take is that any member of a club or cycling Ireland has insurance.
    As for tax, roads are subsidiesed out of general funds as drivers don’t pay enough. What are your view in footpaths and also bus lanes. Each bus driver has their journey subsided too

Also many cyclists pay road tax but leave the car at home , this reducing traffic

What am I begrudging exactly ? I’ve already explained I drive very little and take public transport to commute and most places I want to go are waking distance . As family we couldn’t do much less mileage and I’ve even gone eco and got a leccy car to keep everyone’s lungs safe, so yeay for me.

Ted, he's getting very good at the wind up! Shouldn't be taken seriously.

L & N Plates? No just a licence to say you have passed a test
    2 Stabilizers for those on L plates? No
    1 Stabilizer for those on N plates? That would probably be unsafe
    Theory test? Absolutely , using the road need to know the rules of it, that’s a no brained
    What happens if a child cycling to school can't afford insurance from her pocket money? Children if accompanied by a licensed adult are exempt and covered by that adults insurance until they have passed their test. Would also have a min age for unaccompanied cyclists
    Do we include scooters? Yes
    Where would you put the plate? Behind the saddle on a bracelet
    Do those (the majority) who pay motor tax get a reduction as they are now paying bike tax? Course not do you get a reduction in road tax on a second car ?

I could go on.

There you go I couldn’t wait

• Advertisement

Ted, he's getting very good at the wind up! Shouldn't be taken seriously.

It’s very easy trigger cyclists to be fair, it seems outrage and the moral high ground are the default positions :)

What am I begrudging exactly ? I’ve already explained I drive very little and take public transport to commute and most places I want to go are waking distance . As family we couldn’t do much less mileage and I’ve even gone eco and got a leccy car to keep everyone’s lungs safe, so yeay for me.

You are begrudging cyclists for having a safe low cost of transport that doesn’t require insurance or road tax. You think that because a mechanically propelled vehicle that kills several people on our roads a week has it them it’s only fair if cyclists too. With nothing to justify your logic only basic begrudgary

There you go I couldn’t wait

There you go, haven't a clue again. Scooters haven't got saddles.

There you go, haven't a clue again. Scooters haven't got saddles.

That’s it ? I’m sure we could modify them in some way the same way we attach a metal plate to a car , can’t be that hard now can it, where there is a will and all that

You are begrudging cyclists for having a safe low cost of transport that doesn’t require insurance or road tax. You think that because a mechanically propelled vehicle that kills several people on our roads a week has it them it’s only fair if cyclists too. With nothing to justify your logic only basic begrudgary

I also have a safe low cost of transport that doesn’t require insurance or road tax

The dart

I’ve justified my logic , it’s a vehicle using the road, it should be subject to at least some of the same restrictions with a theory test up there near the top and registration so cyclists can be identified if they break the law .

Enforced Points system would be good aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They look fantastic for those who may have balance or other issues. You could fit a weeks shopping in the basket. Love it

Anyone any idea where to buy them?

That’s it ? I’m sure we could modify them in some way the same way we attach a metal plate to a car , can’t be that hard now can it, where there is a will and all that

Sounds a bit Boris Johnson'ish. You're not related are you?:D

It’s very easy trigger cyclists to be fair, it seems outrage and the moral high ground are the default positions :)
    Did you ever ask yourself why?
    Maybe it because cyclists are the most vulnerable road users and we try to have a sense of self preservation.

Sounds a bit Boris Johnson'ish. You're not related are you?:D

I could only wish for some of Bojos genes and that fantastic head of hair he has

• Advertisement

I could only wish for some of Bojos genes and that fantastic head of hair he has

Have a closer look, he's getting a bit thin on top. As for the demented genes.......

Advertisement