Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

How exactly did you work out that they're unneeded?
    The ones I'm talking about seem to almost never be used.
    e.g. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sandycove+Ave+E,+Sandycove,+Dublin/@53.2879256,-6.1126808,167m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x486707defb471c8f:0xa00c7a9973229f0!2sD%C3%BAn+Laoghaire,+Dublin!3b1!8m2!3d53.2943958!4d-6.1338666!3m4!1s0x4867064879417093:0x8749b3abfa3135c5!8m2!3d53.2879316!4d-6.1121299

Of course some are a good use of space as they are well used, e.g. the ones at the 40ft are a good use of public space..
    Most people throw their bikes on the grass in Dunlaoire or up against a wall.
    Did you not notice all the bikes on the green when you noticed all the non distanced drinkers you mentioned before?
    It doesn't have to be a bike rental company.

How many empty and unneeded bike stands have been converted from car spaces, were paid for by bicycle owners and how many have paid for this privilege through a parking fee or bicycle tax.
    But you guys were saying the bike rental companies paid for it, then there's no evidence of that, now you are saying it doesn't have to be a bike rental company.
    Lads, can someone please shut me up and show me factual evidence for Dun Laoire bike stands? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But you guys were saying the bike rental companies paid for it, then there's no evidence of that, now you are saying it doesn't have to be a bike rental company.
    Lads, can someone please shut me up and show me factual evidence for Dun Laoire bike stands? :)

https://irishcycle.com/2018/05/30/breaking-bleeperbike-and-urbo-get-licences-to-run-stationless-bicycle-share-in-dublin-city/

Section 5h, is where the funding comes from : http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie/documents/s63518/dlr Statiionless Bikes Bye-Laws 2018 Septmber 2018 Final Draft.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The ones I'm talking about seem to almost never be used.
    e.g. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sandycove+Ave+E,+Sandycove,+Dublin/@53.2879256,-6.1126808,167m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x486707defb471c8f:0xa00c7a9973229f0!2sD%C3%BAn+Laoghaire,+Dublin!3b1!8m2!3d53.2943958!4d-6.1338666!3m4!1s0x4867064879417093:0x8749b3abfa3135c5!8m2!3d53.2879316!4d-6.1121299

Of course some are a good use of space as they are well used, e.g. the ones at the 40ft are a good use of public space..
    Most people throw their bikes on the grass in Dunlaoire or up against a wall.
    Did you not notice all the bikes on the green when you noticed all the non distanced drinkers you mentioned before?
    Actually no, I haven't seen bikes on the green, but I'll keep an eye out there. I've seen them at the paved areas all right. Throwing them up on the grass is OK if you're hanging around the grass. It's not great if you're going for a swim or a walk with others. You really need proper stands to lock up your frame and keep it safe.

But look at all those empty car parking spaces around there - clearly all unneeded, right?

554356.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some bits of good news for Dún Laoghaire from the easing of restrictions announcement earlier today.

The 2 cinemas & the pavilion theatre will be back open on June 7th.

Restaurants & cafes in Dún Laoghaire will also have their indoor dining back this summer.

The Royal Marine Hotel should be back open to take bookings for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

ted1 wrote: »
    So you can call me a blind zealot. But get upset when I point your your bigoted opinion.

Have a good weekend. I’ll be driving the young lad to training in the morning before I go for a cycle

You have a fine and peachy weekend yourself. I'll leave it there as I don't want to further ruin this thread for people who are bored of this discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

pm1977x wrote: »
    Quoting that Burns chap in relation to bikes is like quoting Elon Musk saying “electric cars are great” not exactly objective seeing as he’s cycling zealot No. 1 and we have him to “thank” for carpet bombing the area with bollards and cycling tracks.

He did give me a good laugh the other day though, soaked to the skin in Sallynoggin trying to set up yet another photo op/propaganda piece with his cargo bike for local deliveries, proving the absurdity of the idea for a country that gets torrential rain even in summer.

I would question the propriety of Robert Burns using his personal social media to shill for extreme anti car measures while at the same time being the senior official responsible for planning and implementing them. If the decision of the Council goes the other way where does he stand?

This came up in a related context recently when City Manager Owen Keegan admitted under questionning by a Councillor that the City Council promoting the Love 30 (kph) campaign was incompatible with its role as the Road Authority hosting a notionally impartial consultation on the 30 limit extension to main routes. In fact it caused serious damage to the credibility of that whole exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

554460.jpg

Sunrise in DL this morning. No traffic:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Off topic posts deleted. The whole bikes v cars topic is a boring pain in the tits and is not to be brought up again. There are other forums for that. Im pretty sure this has been said before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Gaspode wrote: »
    Im pretty sure this has been said before

It's a vicious cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,805 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

in other news the new eleven deli in the old killiney stores is a great addition,

can recommend the chicken and chorizo sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Cyrus wrote: »
    in other news the new eleven deli in the old killiney stores is a great addition,

can recommend the chicken and chorizo sandwich!

Is it open already?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it open already?

Door was open yesterday when I was passing, and people going in, but there's still some work going on outside, maybe for the Druid's Chair outside summer business, but I'd imagine the Deli's business at the moment consists of word of mouth locals and knackered cyclists who need a break.

Is it open already?

Yes for a week now

I posted the following on Facebook a few days ago and might as well post it here as well:

"I was driving the R119 to Dalkey last night and was shocked to see how tight the junction to Castlepark Road has become. A similar job was recently done at the junction with Hyde Road and Castlepark Road.

Given their functions as major arterial routes, would slip lanes not have been a better alternative?

I realize they were excessively wide before but, tightening them to near 90° is over the top.

Yeah, the DMURS dictates road design in urban areas. However, I find the ideals in it very simple minded and borders on spoon feeding at times."

It's going to be a disaster with over 100 apartments being built around the corner in Castlepark School and another 94 in Charleville. This is the very opposite of what they should be doing. Add to this the spike in traffic when the pandemic is over and everyone is vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

Slip lanes prioritise vehicle movements over everyone else. Pedestrians get to cross multiple roads instead of just one and cyclists get to cross their fingers and hope they don’t get run over. And the actual benefit to drivers isn’t as much as people believe. Any comparison to spoon feeding is beyond daft.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

markpb wrote: »
    Slip lanes prioritise vehicle movements over everyone else. Pedestrians get to cross multiple roads instead of just one and cyclists get to cross their fingers and hope they don’t get run over. And the actual benefit to drivers isn’t as much as people believe. Any comparison to spoon feeding is beyond daft.

Left slips don’t add anything to junction capacity

Tight radius slow traffic.

All for traffic safety

godtabh wrote: »
    Left slips don’t add anything to junction capacity

Tight radius slow traffic.

The problem with the above is that it effectively puts a hard limit of sorts on the size of vehicles using these junctions. At least slip lanes provide a staggered approach to pedestrian crossing without screwing with junction geometry. As such left slips provide capacity for larger vehicles like articulated trucks and longer buses.
    godtabh wrote: »
    All for traffic safety

I very much realize that these measures are for traffic safety. However speed ramps at slip lanes are a happy medium..erm...median. While desired lines are often mooted in the DMURS as cutting the amount of crossings, it doesn't change the fact that it makes things very awkward for even modest sized trucks.

Patrick you are a funny bloke. You’d love a motorway through Dalkey.

People are just going to have to slow down and take the corner properly. It’s shocking the angle that Irish people take corners.

Speed ramps are horrible and should be avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

As such left slips provide capacity for larger vehicles like articulated trucks and longer buses.

You can still get a 12 metre bus or coach around that corner; it just has to swing out slightly wider. It was far too wide before - dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists. It was possible to turn left from Dalkey without even slowing down. It's far safer now.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Patrick you are a funny bloke. You’d love a motorway through Dalkey.

People are just going to have to slow down and take the corner properly. It’s shocking the angle that Irish people take corners.

Speed ramps are horrible and should be avoided

Motorway through Dalkey? Eh, No.
    Better permeability for all types of vehicles and other road users which provides greater footfall to the area? Yes. Now, I realize that we rarely see eye to eye on such matters as town planning or how they should function.

Maybe, it's an Aspie thing on my part as I do have Asperger's Syndrome. So, naturally, I would prefer to see Dalkey's road system being more systematic like they are in Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock whilst maintaining the best parts of its character.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

The problem with the above is that it effectively puts a hard limit of sorts on the size of vehicles using these junctions. At least slip lanes provide a staggered approach to pedestrian crossing without screwing with junction geometry. As such left slips provide capacity for larger vehicles like articulated trucks and longer buses.

Longer vehicles can take tighter turns than most people realise. And I’d argue that there’s no need for articulated buses and HGVs through Dalkey anyway. Deliveries can and should be be done by LGV and quite frankly Dalkey is not exactly a trunk route that needs articulated buses.

Longer vehicles can take tighter turns than most people realise. And I’d argue that there’s no need for articulated buses and HGVs through Dalkey anyway. Deliveries can and should be be done by LGV and quite frankly Dalkey is not exactly a trunk route that needs articulated buses.

all the time planning permission is being given for construction work in Dalkey, you will get large vehicles running through the village and the surrounding roads. Maybe not articulated lorries, but there are some pretty big trucks shifting stuff to and from both the Charleville and Castlepark school developments.

That particular junction has just gone from one extreme to the other. It was too wide before and dangerous for pedestrians, it is now too narrow and dangerous for road users, as people turning right in to castlepark road are almost obliged to cut the corner. I've had three close calls there in the past week (two of which were on a bike, before certain posters tell me I am a bastard for driving a car).

They urgently need to get the road remarked as well as getting yellow lines put down, as people are parking right up to the junction and seriously restricting the view of people turning out of Castlepark Road.

Aegir wrote: »
    you will get large vehicles running through the village

dont let them hear you say that in town :o

Cyrus wrote: »
    dont let them hear you say that in town :o

Don’t you know, It has a town hall…..

Always a village to me.

Aegir wrote: »
    They urgently need to get the road remarked as well as getting yellow lines put down, as people are parking right up to the junction and seriously restricting the view of people turning out of Castlepark Road.

Marked or not, they're still breaking the law by parking that close to a junction. But parking laws are very rarely enforced in that area. They also need to do something about the double-parking situation on Breffni Rd. I'm aware that most of the houses don't have off-street parking, but that's their problem. It shouldn't be the problem of other road users.

It does have >11 metre buses though. And if you ever watch a 111 attempting to negotiate the turn outside McDonagh's, it is extremely tight. The overhang of the bus unavoidably has to sweep across the footpath. And the left turn from Barnhill Rd onto Hyde Rd (route 59) is an impossible maneuvre unless the bus swings onto the wrong side of the road on approach.

What >11 metre byses are turning to/from Castlepark Road from the R119?

What >11 metre byses are turning to/from Castlepark Road from the R119?

None that I know of. Although they wouldn't have any major problems doing so.

• Advertisement

What junctions involving buses in Dalkey have had their turning radii reduced?

Advertisement