Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

Robbie.G wrote: »
    90degree bends have the potential to kill you.How do you sweep past a 90degree bend you can't.I agree with the 37.5 degree bit but contact any stove manufacturer and ask if you can use a 90 bend and see what reply you get.
    I agree with you cleaning is impossible if you use an adapter to clay flue liners, but if a flue is lined with flexi equal in diameter to enamel it can be cleaned from the top down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

DenisCork wrote: »
    I agree with you cleaning is impossible if you use an adapter to clay flue liners, but if a flue is lined with flexi equal in diameter to enamel it can be cleaned from the top down.

Yes but ideally the whole idea is for the chimney to be swept from the bottom up.As for using the back connection on a stove it goes against pure gravity the efficiency if stoves and heat output are measured using a top connection due to natural flue draft.
    Any installation guides will show top outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Just have a question or two on stoves for a house I've just bought and renovating. There's an oil central heating in place and one of the fireplaces has a back boiler (we're turning this room into a dining room so will not be using this boiler. A bigger room with a fireplace will be the sitting room and is where the stove will be located).

From my measurements the room where the stove will be located is approx 20sq metres floor area with 2.64m high ceilings (8' 8"). I've calculated the house needs radiators of a combined output of around 13kW (including the radiator in the room where the stove will be located). Total house is floor area is around 1300sq ft.

Would a 13kW stove boil us alive in a 20sq metre room?

I like the look of the Inis Meain MK2 12.5kW but I won't want to be roasted either.

BTW, I could have my room measurements all wrong when stating I need 13kW. It's a 4 bedroomed house with 2 large-ish rooms downstairs:
    Kitchen/diner: 295sq ft
    Sitting room: 220sq ft
    Hall: 125sq ft
    Bed 1: 201sq ft
    Bed 2: 100sq ft
    Bed 3: 115sq ft
    Bed 4: 65sq ft
    Bathroom & landing: 160sq ft combined.

Also like the look of the Stratford EB12HE which states up to 6kW to the room and up to 12kW to water. Does this mean that it will be heating up to 6kW to the room and up to 12kW to water at the same time? So could it potentially heat at max to both?

One other question. Another Stratford stove, the EB16HE, quotes the room output from 2.5 - 8 kW. How is this output controlled? The bigger unit may suit as I need 13kW for the radiators and perhaps another 3kW for the water tank (although if I turn off the radiator in my sitting room I can reclaim most of this 3kW).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Hi Guys,

I have a pretty big room to heat. 30 Sq Meters by 2.4 m height and there's also an open stairwell.

Thinking of buying a free standing

- Dimplex Westcot 8KW or 12KW non boiler stove.

Anybody have any experiences good or bad with these Stoves ? Pretty reasonably priced, they start at €499 for 8KW and €599 for 12KW. Some others which start at €700+ have nothing obviously extra.

All are Cast Iron, all have Screen wash .. just really small design differences.

I did notice some have firebrick inside, some have steel plates and some have nothing.

Only feature which I would like is enamel finish .. as I think the Matt cast Iron can look a bit grotty after awhile.

Any Thoughts ?

Also I realize that 12KW is probably too large for my requirements but I prefer the look of the double door and the fact that you can put in bigger logs. I would not have to have it burning at the max to heat my room ... or am I missing the point a bit here. Do they have to be at the max to achieve their heat efficiencies.

Back again.... after doing my numbers again I need around a 4kW to room and 14kW to water.

Any boiler suggestions? I like the Woodwarm and Dunsley (in addition to Stratford) but can't see any that match my numbers.

Appreciate any advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Gedmen

Inset or standalone? We got the Stratford Ecoboiler Inset HE 16i It gives 16kw to water. Its steel and English made so no quality concerns.

We burn turf and logs and its brilliant. Good sized firebox so you're not always refueling and good heat to room for a boiler.

http://www.aradastoves.com/boiler-stoves/ecoboiler/eb16he-inset.

It will give you the output you need easily. Make sure your chimney draw is spot on as there can be some smoke when refuelling at times. Possibly the turf is responsible as it doesn't burn as hot as wood or smokeless. It will cost about €1800 or so. Money well spent imo.

Min output: 2.5 kW
    Max output: 16 kW
    Min nominal output: 1.5 kW
    Max nominal output: 5 kW
    Output to Water (solid): 16 kW
    Output to Water (solid): 54624 BTU
    Output to Water (wood): 13.5 kW
    Output to Water (wood): 46089 BTU
    Nett Efficiency: 71.1 %

Gedmen wrote: »
    Inset or standalone? We got the Stratford Ecoboiler Inset HE 16i It gives 16kw to water. Its steel and English made so no quality concerns.

We burn turf and logs and its brilliant. Good sized firebox so you're not always refueling and good heat to room for a boiler.

http://www.aradastoves.com/boiler-stoves/ecoboiler/eb16he-inset.

It will give you the output you need easily. Make sure your chimney draw is spot on as there can be some smoke when refuelling at times. Possibly the turf is responsible as it doesn't burn as hot as wood or smokeless. It will cost about €1800 or so. Money well spent imo.

Min output: 2.5 kW
    Max output: 16 kW
    Min nominal output: 1.5 kW
    Max nominal output: 5 kW
    Output to Water (solid): 16 kW
    Output to Water (solid): 54624 BTU
    Output to Water (wood): 13.5 kW
    Output to Water (wood): 46089 BTU
    Nett Efficiency: 71.1 %

Great thanks, the HE16i and HE16 are on my list but I was worried about some negative reviews I read where it's smoking through a 2mm gap around the air input vent.

Can you control the room output (to say 4kW) while still getting the full 14kW to 16kW to the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Bump.

Anybody have an opinion of the Dimplex Westcott 12KW .... ? €700

or indeed the Henely Skellig 8Kw (non boiler) .. seen a nice Enamel one for €800 in a shop recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 markwin

Hi,
    Has anyone fitted a cara plus, hardware staff keep telling me that it will do up to 14 rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

Hi Stove fans,
    Just moved house and would love to get a multi-fuel stove installed that will heat my HW cylinder and rads in a duel heating system. However I have a feeling that this may prove impractical if not impossible.

My current heating is supplied by a gas boiler in my kitchen. The house is a fairly standard 3 bed semi built circa 1960. The other issue is the hot water cylinder is on the ground floor i.e. same height as the stove.

So I suppose I have 2 initial questions.

1 - Can I have duel system with stove and gas?

2 - Can I have a stove that heats rads and hot water where the Hot water cylinder is at the same height as the stove?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

The Stanley Cara plus has a max heat to water output of 13.2,thats max!
    That means approx 2.6kw for a hot tank and a very rough 1kw per average single rad[this obviously depends on the sizes of the radiators].
    So estimated it will do up to 10/11 single radiators max.
    You should always look for a nominal heat output as a maximum heat output in reality means you have to heavily burn the stove to get that heat output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 markwin

Thanks Sanchez for that, so im figuring that a stratford eb 16 he would give me more than the cara plus then, seemingly you can regulated the output to the room a little better and they say it can heat 14 rads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Id go with the Stratford everytime over a Stanley.
    Stanley are completely over rated and their prices are nowhere near value for money.
    They are living off their quality ranges from years back but people are starting to realise now that they are not quite as good as they used to be.
    Stratford arent cheap but they are worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Id go with the Stratford everytime over a Stanley.
    Stanley are completely over rated and their prices are nowhere near value for money.
    They are living off their quality ranges from years back but people are starting to realise now that they are not quite as good as they used to be.
    Stratford arent cheap but they are worth the investment.

+1
    Stratford are the Rolls Royce of stoves
    Inis-mor worth looking at also
    Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

Has anyone any experience with the Nestor Martin H 23. This is my second winter and I a still finding it very tempermental, somedays I have a wonderful fire while other days it does not perform at all. At present I am using wood that may not be too well seasoned, all hardwood. Brickettes appear to go ok. It loves anthracite but if not watched due very quickly. Euro Heat in England were about as helpful as they could be especially as I purchased it in ireland. It just appears to me to need a lot of watching over, and at the cost of it I feel should be much easier.

So my question is any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone seen any nice/good value insert enamel stoves.

The room is small so apparently anything around 4kw output would be fine.

The ideal would be stanley cara but its listed at 1250 and the best I could see was 1150 plus fitting.

I dont use the fire often enough to justify the price
    plus its way over budget.
    Was hoping to get someit for max €650. (ideally less)

Am I dreaming hoping to get an enamel insert for less than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Does anyone have an opinion on hamco stoves/flue systems?
    Very little info about them here on boards and I could save 300+ euro by going with the hamco solution vs stanley oisin with miflue.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

Hi,

has anyone come across a stove that fulfils these three criteria:

-small (6kw total)
    -total direct air supply
    -with back boiler

I have not yet found any stove that meets all three. The Morso squirel looked good but no Direct air :-(

cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

frankz wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering has anyone seen any nice/good value insert enamel stoves.

The room is small so apparently anything around 4kw output would be fine.

The ideal would be stanley cara but its listed at 1250 and the best I could see was 1150 plus fitting.

I dont use the fire often enough to justify the price
    plus its way over budget.
    Was hoping to get someit for max €650. (ideally less)

Am I dreaming hoping to get an enamel insert for less than that?

My sister recently bought a Henley Standalone stove - They do an enamel insert (http://www.henleystoves.com/insert-stoves/the-achill-6-6kw-stove) - She is happy so far with her stove but only has it a few weeks at this stage. Don't know the price of the insert but her standalone 5kw Druid worked out at less than 500 Euro incl flue adaptor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

We are strongly thinking of purchasing an Achill insert stove(non boiler) 6.5kw from one of the local suppliers and have it fitted into our existing fireplace.It will suit our room size according to its output. We are relatively restricted in the type of stove we can purchase due to the hearth etc not being big enough to hold a non insert stove.

Anyway, the Achill looks nice. Has anyone any experience with this stove or have any feedback they can supply?

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Gedmen

SachaJ wrote: »
    Great thanks, the HE16i and HE16 are on my list but I was worried about some negative reviews I read where it's smoking through a 2mm gap around the air input vent.

Can you control the room output (to say 4kW) while still getting the full 14kW to 16kW to the boiler?

Yes I read that one review too but read it to the end - the Arada technician called out and there was zero problem. He could not recreate any smoking whatsoever. The fuel that was being burned wasn't available to him on the day.

Our stove smokes sometimes when refueling - fact. This is stated in the stove manual. It depends on what we burn and weather / wind conditions. I would definitely buy the stove again its magic for us. I have no experience of other stoves and maybe some people never experience any smoke when refueling? If we burn smokeless fuel or wood this happens much less because the heat is much greater and drives the smoke up and out.

There's a built in thermostat that controls the air intake and hence the burn. If you close or part close the secondary burn intake you also regulate the flow. If your stove is burning flat out to give you 16kw to water you cannot turn the output to room down - its the same fire after all. But heat to room with a boiler stove is generally much poorer than non boiler stoves. Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Hope someone can give me a bit of advice here. I want to change the rope gasket surrounding the door on a morso squirrel stove. I have removed the old rope and scraped out the inlet and wiped it out with water. I have the new rope gasket cut to measure but it's very difficult to close the door as it is. I was told I should glue to rope into place. Will I use any glue or is there a specific glue/cement that should be used? If so where would I be able to purchase it? I picked up an all purpose glue in woodies but it says highly flammable on the pack so I am reluctant to use that.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

I changed the gasket today and used the proper glue. The door is crazily stiff and difficult to close. Anyone else experience this? Anything can be done to loosen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Can anyone help me find a stove that:

1. Takes an external air supply
    2. Has a back boiler
    3. Is room sealed

Finding it impossible to find anything out there and have been told by one supplier that they don't exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

BarneyMc wrote: »

2. Has a back boiler
    3. Is room sealed

Finding it impossible to find anything out there and have been told by one supplier that they don't exist!
    Have you tried the Inis-Mor stove

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sunshine10

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can please offer some advice regarding a leak in our roof following the installation of our Stanley stove last year. The stove was installed using the twinwall insulated pipe, allowing the flue to pass through the ceiling/roof. A flashing kit was used on the roof. My question is should the flashing keep out all rainwater if installed correctly?? or will rain get in from time to time depending on the wind direction etc?

Yesterday morning at one point, the rain came down straight / heavy and a lot of water came through the ceiling very close to the pipe. This is the first time that this has happened, on occasions we have had a small amount of water drip down the pipe itself. thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hairynipple

Hi all

I live in a standard semi detached 3 bed house. Last winter i fitted a Valentia insert stove (non boiler) into the fireplace and am delighted with the heat output.

I regret not getting a boiler stove in the sitting room so now I would like to put a boiler stove in the kitchen to heat the rest of the house (I was thinking beside the patio door or anywhere else in the kitchen that might be suitable)

Has anyone here ever done such a thing or seen it done before?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

BarneyMc wrote: »

2. Has a back boiler
    3. Is room sealed

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/direct-air-supply-stoves.html

Off the top of my head the woodfire and brosley ones fit your needs I think.

I think they are all woodburning only though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

what do u mean by a direct air supply. try nestor martin

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

john_cappa wrote: »

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/direct-air-supply-stoves.html

Off the top of my head the woodfire and brosley ones fit your needs I think.

I think they are all woodburning only though.

...yep I second that list.... In your searches let me know if any of the ones you find have a very small total output (6kw) - its for an A3 passive house.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

improv_12 wrote: »
    ...yep I second that list.... In your searches let me know if any of the ones you find have a very small total output (6kw) - its for an A3 passive house.

:)

A3 is not a passive house?

Morso S11 is 5KW and has direct air supply. No boiler but assume you dont want one given that its only 6kw you want.

Advertisement