Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

CraftySue wrote: »
    Looking for advice on Gardaland tickets, day pass €39, while season pass is €49. I'm guessing I should go for the season pass- just wondering am I missing some catch? Should I buy and print at home before going or can the season pass be got at the park? Family of 4 - 2Adults + 2C, ages 6 and 14 - can't see a family pass option, wondering if there is one? would we want to go to gardaland more than once/ ? Any advice welcome

It depends how far you are travelling to the park. We stayed at Peschiera a couple of years ago. Temperatures were too high to go the park during the day. They offer a cheap ticket after 6pm (€22), so we ended up going twice with our 7,10,12 yr olds. There is a free? bus from the train station.
    The €49 season ticket price is for U6's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Thought this thread was about something like Disneyland, but for gardai. Close

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Hoboo wrote: »
    Thought this thread was about something like Disneyland, but for gardai. Close

Thought it was Templemore looking for a tourism feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

CraftySue wrote: »
    Looking for advice on Gardaland tickets, day pass €39, while season pass is €49. I'm guessing I should go for the season pass- just wondering am I missing some catch? Should I buy and print at home before going or can the season pass be got at the park? Family of 4 - 2Adults + 2C, ages 6 and 14 - can't see a family pass option, wondering if there is one? would we want to go to gardaland more than once/ ? Any advice welcome

There’s no family pass. The season pass is fairly cheap but it is only a season pass. It doesn’t cover you next year at all (compared to say Merlin passes in Germany which are 12 months and similar with Disneyland paris)

If looking for a deal on just a days admission, go to a supermarket and on coke multi packs there’s a 2 for 1 deal. I’ve seen it on some dairy products too. For a purchase of a couple of euro you save 84 euro or so on admission costs.

Another deal is just go after 6pm (closing 11pm) for 20 euro a head which in peak season isn’t a bad idea as the queues are less and it’s progressively cooler as the evening passes. Last summer we did the Mammut ride a few times in a row just before closing as it was such a small queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

We've floated the idea of doing a trip to DLP either around October this year or April next year.

I've no problem with booking hotel, flights and park tickets separately but I was wondering if anyone could give advice on whether it is better to look for a package offer. Do any of the Irish Travel agents offer competitive packages, or am I better off looking at the online vendors?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

puzl wrote: »
    We've floated the idea of doing a trip to DLP either around October this year or April next year.

I've no problem with booking hotel, flights and park tickets separately but I was wondering if anyone could give advice on whether it is better to look for a package offer. Do any of the Irish Travel agents offer competitive packages, or am I better off looking at the online vendors?

I reckon book direct, but go when French are not on holidays.

We got a decent deal at the Explorers Hotel, 10min by free shuttle bus. Kids loved is, €140/ night for a family room b&b

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Emily Bronte

Hi Folks
    Have any of you been to Trabolgan in recent times and what did you think of it? Looking to take 2 grandchildren somewhere fun in August. We've been to Tayto Park a couple of times and loved it but want to go somewhere new.
    I've heard a few different reports on Trabolgan mostly from people who were there years ago. I was told the place wasn't very clean and the food wasn't good. Would appreciate feedback from those who have been there in the last couple of years. Looking forward to your comments.

Was there a couple of years ago and I wouldn't recommend it at all. Rough clientele, drunken parents, children running about unsupervised, dubious entertainment, my child got nits from the swimming cap she rented.

I'd avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Emily Bronte

Thanks won't be going to Trabolgan so 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Hi. Just wondering had anyone stayed nearby to Legoland, trying to get somewhere that caters for families for accommodation (2A3K) for August.. have looked at a few and it's working out at between 600-2k for accommodation midweek for 4days. Bit steep I thought. Thoughts or recommendations.

Also just read a few reviews and they seem a bit up and down, we have 3 kids (8,6,2) I realise the 2 yr old won't get anything from it but the other 2 should? Is it worth going here or should we head to one of the other ones, Thorpe or Chesterfield?
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We stayed in the resort at paddy’s weekend. The kids loved the theme rooms and the fact it opened up into the park. Decent entertainment, food is a buffet but once again the kids loved it getting their own desserts etc. The pool is a bit dated.
    Would recommend it.

ted1 wrote: »
    We stayed in the resort at paddy’s weekend. The kids loved the theme rooms and the fact it opened up into the park. Decent entertainment, food is a buffet but once again the kids loved it getting their own desserts etc. The pool is a bit dated.
    Would recommend it.

Can I ask was it expensive to book?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

booked on Black Friday. Think it was around 580 for 2 nights with 2 day passes for 2 adults and 3 kids. August would be peak season, different than paddy’s weekend

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

2k? wow! I guess it depends on convenience. You could just stay in Windsor and take a taxi to and from the resort each day to save lots. Probably not self-catering but you'd still have lots to spend on food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We were over there last month (2 adults + 2 children aged 7 and 4). We flew out to LGW on the Monday morning of the b/hol weekend. Flights to LGW with Ryanair were far cheaper than to LHR with Aer Lingus. It did cost us an extra £65 each way for a taxi transfer. Overall I still reckon it w
    as €100 cheaper. Our early morning flight was delayed but we were in the park itself by midday.

We stayed in the Legoland hotel and I have to say it was really good. We booked one of the Adventure themed rooms and it was smashing. Kids had their own segregated area in the bedroom with bunk beds, own tv, Lego etc. We all loved it!

As someone pointed out above, the hotels are literally in the park which is very handy. We'd read reviews about the food in the hotel so we opted not to get dinner. The buffet breakfast was fine. Our two night stay with park tickets on Monday and Tuesday was £580.

Food options in the park are pretty poor. For dinner on the first night, I managed to get a pizza delivery to the hotel. Interestingly, a number of people approached to ask where I got it from, saying that the dinner in the restaurant was pretty poor too. On the second night, we got a taxi for £10 each way into Windsor which was really nice.

I saw an offer on Irish Ferries the other day for trips to Legoland. My only concern here would be that they use "partner" hotels. While these hotels are cheaper and some offers give you tickets, parking at the park would be a nightmare based on what we saw. Apparently it could take up to 2 hours to get out on a busy summer day. Last thing you want when the children are tired and grumpy.

For us 2 days was more than enough, it's not that big. If you stay at the resort you get in a little earlier and then there's no rush heading off in the evening. We did DLParis last year, but I'd do Legoland again before going back there. It was a great little trip, it's perfect for smaller children! Not sure what you'd be doing there for 3/4 days though, seriously? 2 days in the park is plenty.

I recognise the OP from the France thread. If you were landbridging, my advice is book the Legoland hotel B&B for 2 nights and get 2 full days on Legoland. Drive into Windsor for dinner in the evenings after the heavy traffic has passed. We're going to head back next yr and I think we'll do the same but we'll hire a car in Gatwick and use that rather than taxis.

We were over there last month (2 adults + 2 children aged 7 and 4). We flew out to LGW on the Monday morning of the b/hol weekend. Flights to LGW with Ryanair were far cheaper than to LHR with Aer Lingus. It did cost us an extra £65 each way for a taxi transfer. Overall I still reckon it w
    as €100 cheaper. Our early morning flight was delayed but we were in the park itself by midday.

We stayed in the Legoland hotel and I have to say it was really good. We booked one of the Adventure themed rooms and it was smashing. Kids had their own segregated area in the bedroom with bunk beds, own tv, Lego etc. We all loved it!

As someone pointed out above, the hotels are literally in the park which is very handy. We'd read reviews about the food in the hotel so we opted not to get dinner. The buffet breakfast was fine. Our two night stay with park tickets on Monday and Tuesday was £580.

Food options in the park are pretty poor. For dinner on the first night, I managed to get a pizza delivery to the hotel. Interestingly, a number of people approached to ask where I got it from, saying that the dinner in the restaurant was pretty poor too. On the second night, we got a taxi for £10 each way into Windsor which was really nice.

I saw an offer on Irish Ferries the other day for trips to Legoland. My only concern here would be that they use "partner" hotels. While these hotels are cheaper and some offers give you tickets, parking at the park would be a nightmare based on what we saw. Apparently it could take up to 2 hours to get out on a busy summer day. Last thing you want when the children are tired and grumpy.

For us 2 days was more than enough, it's not that big. If you stay at the resort you get in a little earlier and then there's no rush heading off in the evening. We did DLParis last year, but I'd do Legoland again before going back there. It was a great little trip, it's perfect for smaller children! Not sure what you'd be doing there for 3/4 days though, seriously? 2 days in the park is plenty.

I recognise the OP from the France thread. If you were landbridging, my advice is book the Legoland hotel B&B for 2 nights and get 2 full days on Legoland. Drive into Windsor for dinner in the evenings after the heavy traffic has passed. We're going to head back next yr and I think we'll do the same but we'll hire a car in Gatwick and use that rather than taxis.

Thks MrEdge, reason we were landbridging was we got an offer of free travel with IF b4 July. We have relations in Guilford so that was gonna be a day but might even cut it down to 3 days as the IF offer (excluding our free travel) for 4 days was 1200 in a 'partner hotel' (that's what it cost to France for 10days this yr) which was accom and tickets. Haven't enquired can I get the boat free but purchase the accommodation and tickets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We stayed in reading in may. It's too far away. Windsor is s better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Thks MrEdge, reason we were landbridging was we got an offer of free travel with IF b4 July. We have relations in Guilford so that was gonna be a day but might even cut it down to 3 days as the IF offer (excluding our free travel) for 4 days was 1200 in a 'partner hotel' (that's what it cost to France for 10days this yr) which was accom and tickets. Haven't enquired can I get the boat free but purchase the accommodation and tickets!!!

You def don't need 4 days in Legoland! If I was you, I'd just book the Legoland hotel for 2 nights, get your passes and breakfast included and then visit the relations on day 3. Book a travel lodge or something similar for day 3.

Once again, your kids are the perfect ages for Legoland. Highly recommended!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

We stayed in reading in may. It's too far away. Windsor is s better option.

Windsor is the best option, yes, as there are also lots to do there that doesn't involve Lego with Bracknell coming second as they both have buses that go to and from the resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭josip

When we go we stay in Travelodge Bracknell which also does a very reasonably priced breakfast.
    Tesco vouchers cover the entry tickets so we treat ourselves to QuickPasses.
    Some parts of the park are a bit dated, the German Legoland is newer and in better nick dunno about the Danish one.
    The dragon roller coaster is better in Germany and Ninjago is standard there unlike Windsor.
    But the Windsor one has a good water park which the German one doesn't have.
    If you haven't been to a Legoland before, you could stretch 2 days out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭badge1123

Hi everyone. Me and the missus are lookin to bring our 18 month old to Cbeebies land in Alton Towers for a couple days next month. Looking for some advice on
    A) best way to get there because I believe it's out in the middle of the country
    B)best place to stay. Do we spend the extra to stay at the theme park or do we save money by staying in hotels near Stoke.
    C)if we do stay in Stoke, what's the transport like to the park?
    Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Coyler

josip wrote: »
    When we go we stay in Travelodge Bracknell which also does a very reasonably priced breakfast.
    Tesco vouchers cover the entry tickets so we treat ourselves to QuickPasses.
    Some parts of the park are a bit dated, the German Legoland is newer and in better nick dunno about the Danish one.
    The dragon roller coaster is better in Germany and Ninjago is standard there unlike Windsor.
    But the Windsor one has a good water park which the German one doesn't have.
    If you haven't been to a Legoland before, you could stretch 2 days out of it.

Decided we going with the kids (9,9,6) to Legoland in Germany. Will fly into Memmingen and probably out of Munich as I've never been. Never been to a Legoland but have done London to death and Gunzburg seems a better resort for now. 2 nights in the park and 1 in Munich is the plan.

Anything I should be aware of outside of QuickPasses? Food seems to better reviewed which is nice. Will get train into Munich which the kids will love. Again, is that straightforward? Need a transfer from Memmingen which apparently they will organise so I'll update on that.

Works out about the same price as Windsor if not a bit cheaper but again would be interested in any thoughts. Happy to provide any feedback when I get back to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Coyler wrote: »
    Decided we going with the kids (9,9,6) to Legoland in Germany. Will fly into Memmingen and probably out of Munich as I've never been. Never been to a Legoland but have done London to death and Gunzburg seems a better resort for now. 2 nights in the park and 1 in Munich is the plan.

Anything I should be aware of outside of QuickPasses? Food seems to better reviewed which is nice. Will get train into Munich which the kids will love. Again, is that straightforward? Need a transfer from Memmingen which apparently they will organise so I'll update on that.

Works out about the same price as Windsor if not a bit cheaper but again would be interested in any thoughts. Happy to provide any feedback when I get back to the thread.
    The food in Legoland germany is ok. Theres a pizza/ pasta place which is fairly cheap but the burger place for a little bit more might be a better bet if you are proper hungry. Its really good and not too expensive (ok, individual burgers are relatively dear but they have a combo deal of 2 burgers which is more reasonable). As you'd expect, at the height of Lunchtime from about 12 to 1 its crazy busy but the busyness dies down fairly quickly after 1pm
    I've no idea of the grub in the resort in the accomodation.
    As for trains, thats handy enough. Theres a public shuttle bus from the park front entrance to Günzburg station which is timed to connect to the train to Munich. Regarding tickets, theres a special day ticket for all (regional) trains and busses in Bavaria, and also the public transport in Munich, called the "Bayern ticket" . I amnt sure if thats available on the bus but you can buy in advance and print it yourself here . You only need to buy one for 2 adults for €32, the kids then travel free automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

Coyler wrote: »

We have been to both. Ours are now 14,12, 9. Germany is newer, Windsor has the water park section. Felt that we preferred Windsor. The "hotels" and mobile homes in Germany are not a scratch on the hotel in Windsor, though they are cheaper. The hotel in London was a bigger overall part of the holiday. We stayed in a 'racer' cabin in Germany, it was a dressed up mobile home, nothing special and no cooking facilities.
    The buffet restaurant in the accommodation facility was to be avoided. We went to the grill restaurant in one of the hotels it was much better, reasonable value. Check out the Therme, swimming pool spa complex in Erding, near Munich airport, it is amazing. We stayed at the Erding Weissbrau hotel(the german beer is made in Erding) it was great though you can find cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Folks, just looking for some advice on Legoland if anybody has been there recently. I have already booked it where I will be staying in the Legoland hotel.

I haven't book flights yet, as unsure whether to fly into Heathow or Gatwick.
    My plan at the moment is probably to fly into Gatwick and then get a taxi there. Has anybody done this and what company did you use. I have done a couple searches on Google on which company to go for but keen to hear of anybody's experience of doing this and if I should avoid any company.

I will also be staying in London for a couple of days after and was planning on probably getting bus or train from Windsor, has anybody any experience or tips. Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

Folks, just looking for some advice on Legoland if anybody has been there recently. I have already booked it where I will be staying in the Legoland hotel.

I haven't book flights yet, as unsure whether to fly into Heathow or Gatwick.
    My plan at the moment is probably to fly into Gatwick and then get a taxi there. Has anybody done this and what company did you use. I have done a couple searches on Google on which company to go for but keen to hear of anybody's experience of doing this and if I should avoid any company.

I will also be staying in London for a couple of days after and was planning on probably getting bus or train from Windsor, has anybody any experience or tips. Thank You.

Heathrow is much much closer to Legoland than Gatwick. 5 star corporate cars Windsor is a reliable taxi service that will pick you up at arrivals. If your plane is landing at 11, tell them it’s arriving at 11:30, it takes ages to get to the terminal from the plane at Heathrow and if you’re over 30 mins late the driver will try and charge extra. He tried this with me but I just refused to pay it on the basis that I’d told them when booking that while my flight was at x it’d take y for me to get there and he didn’t push further. As for legoland itself, I stayed in the castle, the hotel is right next door and both are basically in the park. Hotel guests get in 30 mins before the general public. I went before the school holidays so I was lucky queue wise but you may need a Q bot if you plan to go before September. PM if you’d like any more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

lemmno wrote: »
    Heathrow is much much closer to Legoland than Gatwick. 5 star corporate cars Windsor is a reliable taxi service that will pick you up at arrivals. If your plane is landing at 11, tell them it’s arriving at 11:30, it takes ages to get to the terminal from the plane at Heathrow and if you’re over 30 mins late the driver will try and charge extra. He tried this with me but I just refused to pay it on the basis that I’d told them when booking that while my flight was at x it’d take y for me to get there and he didn’t push further. As for legoland itself, I stayed in the castle, the hotel is right next door and both are basically in the park. Hotel guests get in 30 mins before the general public. I went before the school holidays so I was lucky queue wise but you may need a Q bot if you plan to go before September. PM if you’d like any more details.

Thanks very much for the tip, good to know with the taxi, I will more than likely use Windsor. Decide fly to Gatwick as flying into Heathrow was to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

https://5starwindsor.com/

That’s the link for cab company I used. They had a decent price from Heathrow but Gatwick really is ages away so I don’t know how much it’ll cost from there. Probably much cheaper to get the train to Clapham junction and change there to go towards Windsor. The national rail app is a good one to plan that. Just check first which Windsor station is the closest to legoland.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dr.Dre

Hi guys

I'm thinking about booking a trip for two to Disneyland Paris some time around the beginning of December this year and would love some advice/tips on the best way to go about my trip.

Firstly I would think that this would be a good time to visit and not too busy, has anyone any experience going around this time?

We would move than likely go from a Thursday through to Saturday/Sunday in the first or second week of the month and flights into Beauvais seem to be relatively cheap, however, I would be unsure of how to get from there to Disneyland once we arrive?

Secondly I wondering what are the best/cheapest places to stay for the duration of the trip? The Disney hotels seem to be fairly expensive from what I've seen but perhaps these are best options?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We stayed at Disney Hotel Cheyenne last July with three in a room, it will be perfect for two on a budget, for an airport transfer I can highly recommend Ezyshuttle, it's run by an Irish guy, maybe slightly more expensive than their competitors but they are 100% reliable & professional but a private transfer won't be cheap, look at their reviews on Tripadvisor, I left one & would use again, if you book a shared shuttle which will be cheaper with another company there is a chance that it will be private anyway,

Advertisement