Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#SpeakOut - Sexual Assault Allegations Superthread

Options
  • 17-06-2020 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Anyone else see the david Starr stuff on Twitter. Ott need distance themselves from him immediately

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

David Starr has been accused of emotionally and mentally abusing ex-girlfriends and raping one of those exes. It's all on his twitter where he's made statements apologising and talking about "grey rape". He's finished in wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    David Starr has been accused of emotionally and mentally abusing ex-girlfriends and raping one of those exes. It's all on his twitter where he's made statements apologising and talking about "grey rape". He's finished in wrestling.

what's that when it's at home ? Is this the David Starr who was going on about a union for wrestlers ?

Well you say finished in wrestling, but that's a fairly high bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone else see the david Starr stuff on Twitter. Ott need distance themselves from him immediately

And him the OTT World Champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Omackeral wrote: »
    And him the OTT World Champ!

Needs be stripped of the belt immediately. The more he tweets today the worse it sounds. If ott do nothing about it I will never support them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The odd public insinuating from Gabe and rumours of something along these lines in 2016 doing the rounds is the only time this stuff made it public. My sympathies are with the victims of course.

From a wrestling standpoint (even if, in the grand scheme of things that's a lot less important than sexual assault of any kind) it's awful timing for OTT. He's the main draw, face of the company and their comeback plans revolve around him. Awful timing with them really needing a big sell out show upon return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    what's that when it's at home ? Is this the David Starr who was going on about a union for wrestlers ?

Well you say finished in wrestling, but that's a fairly high bar.

I'd hazard a guess that, unless he likes the grannies, he's saying it is a grey area as to whether it could have been rape or not. Which is not something you should be having any doubts about if you aren't a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Needs be stripped of the belt immediately. The more he tweets today the worse it sounds. If ott do nothing about it I will never support them again.

It's only an allegation at this point. Due process and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Pentecost wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that, unless he likes the grannies, he's saying it is a grey area as to whether it could have been rape or not. Which is not something you should be having any doubts about if you aren't a scumbag.

It's a term that came to prominence during the assault accusations against aziz anzari, to do with non verbal resistance and lack of consent, basically its a bull**** cop-out for people who know what they did was wrong but they don't want to call themselves rapists.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_rape

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Innocent till proven guilty?

Have u read his tweets..he more or less admits to it all. His own tweets paint him In a bad light alot of promotions have already cut ties

• Advertisement

He needs be stripped of the title...theres no grey area in rape.its either rape or not. Hes nothing but a scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah he’s admitted it. If anything what he posted himself was way worse than what she said about him.

The Wrestling Observer reported this as him denying it. He wrote a 4-page note confessing and apologising to his ex about it, but to the Observer readers now who get their updates from there, he denied it all.

This is what I mean when I talk about the slant they put on their stories totally confusing the discourse in wrestling. Every time the story is “famous wrestler is accused of something by less famous woman”, the narrative is “they denied it so she’s probably lying.” Even when they actually confess. They did the exact same with Michael Elgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

He even continued with the gaslighting and victim blaming in his apology and the comments section after directly to his rape victim. Really horrible read

Yeah like even when he confessed it was laced with implications that she was lying. “I’m sorry that, even though we had sex multiple times that night and you said you loved it...” that kinda stuff that’s actually totally unnecessary if you’re actually apologising and remorseful. Like if you dispute it, dispute it. He wants to but obviously knows he can’t, so has to go this route, and is actually proving her point way more than what she’s said herself.

Having said that, it is interesting to see someone so high profile come to terms with the fact that they’re a rapist in real time.

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah he’s admitted it. If anything what he posted himself was way worse than what she said about him.

Exactly. He needs be removed straight away. Hes a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Just read his statement and jesus that was some high end spoofing with impressive mental gymnastics. Such was the level of spoof I swear I'd of read it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I presume prison is on the cards for him as he's admitted to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He needs be stripped of the title...theres no grey area in rape.its either rape or not. Hes nothing but a scumbag

0129-mike-tyson-wwe-ex-1_crop_north.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&q=75
    Cody-Rhodes-and-Mike-Tyson-1286475.jpg?r=1590315293174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

The OTT world title has been vacated.

Always seemed a bit of an odd individual to me, even the character he portrays is weird, strange the Irish fans worshiped him so much. Be interesting to see lads who held him on their shoulders in the stadium distancing themselves now.

I can see a few tweets from wrestlers popping up from the past, ranging from Ryan Nemeth to Pete Dunne, where they hinted that Starr was a knacker and people are lapping it up.

Do these guys really deserve credit when they were aware yet did the sum of fcuk all to help Starr's victims? Maybe if one of them put their necks on the line and outright said what they knew, these women wouldn't have been tortured with the truth being denied for as long it has been.

Anyone who knew and said nothing, be it a performer, behind the scenee or some hanger on in the business, is complicit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I can see a few tweets from wrestlers popping up from the past, ranging from Ryan Nemeth to Pete Dunne, where they hinted that Starr was a knacker and people are lapping it up.

Do these guys really deserve credit when they were aware yet did the sum of fcuk all to help Starr's victims? Maybe if one of them put their necks on the line and outright said what they knew, these women wouldn't have been tortured with the truth being denied for as long it has been.

Anyone who knew and said nothing, be it a performer, behind the scenee or some hanger on in the business, is complicit.

Is it really their place to get involved, though? Some people just want to forget about things and move on. You can't just take it upon yourself to interfere with someone's livelihood on someone else's behalf, based on something from their private lives.

Is it really their place to get involved, though? Some people just want to forget about things and move on. You can't just take it upon yourself to interfere with someone's livelihood on someone else's behalf, based on something from their private lives.

That's grand, but if they didn't want to get involved they shouldn't be tweeting at all.

I probably went too far saying anyone who knew was complicit, it just angers me that these wrestlers who knew would tweet about it indirectly just for "social media cred" and to stroke their own ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Young OTT trainees etc obviously just didn't have the bravery of someone like you would have in that situation.

showpony1 wrote: »
    Young OTT trainees etc obviously just didn't have the bravery of someone like you would have in that situation.

Yeah I was harsh, I've said that already. Apologies for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

People have called him out seen this tweet from may which either people didn’t see or ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

See the quote. Treat everyone the same! It is wrong on every level forever, not just in 2020.

Take notice of people in the game who say nothing or make mind bending statements ..... This is not just 1 person. You cheer alot of wrestlers who do similar.....

The Nal wrote: »
    0129-mike-tyson-wwe-ex-1_crop_north.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&q=75
    Cody-Rhodes-and-Mike-Tyson-1286475.jpg?r=1590315293174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

They where trainees etc doing a job, not fair of you to say anything about them

showpony1 wrote: »
    The OTT world title has been vacated.

Always seemed a bit of an odd individual to me, even the character he portrays is weird, strange the Irish fans worshiped him so much. Be interesting to see lads who held him on their shoulders in the stadium distancing themselves now.

Advertisement