Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#SpeakOut - Sexual Assault Allegations Superthread

Options
1356719

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 39,763 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy


    Going insane wwe having emergency meeting

    Source ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭bennyl10


    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Source ?

    Sportskeeda have it on twitter

    https://twitter.com/colohue/status/1273736117242736644?s=21


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze


    Travis Banks getting it now too. Honestly, seeing how prevalent this is, this might be it for me and wrestling


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭showpony1


    It truly is one of the most bizarre businesses around.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze


    showpony1 wrote: »
    It truly is one of the most bizarre businesses around.

    I stopped watching WWE when the Saudi deal happened, thinking indy wrestling was like the fun alternative. This is just an absolute kick in the nuts


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Clegg


    Jimmy Havoc's ex is now speaking out about the 3 years of emotional and mental abuse she suffered.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty


    Britwres is trash. It's not just Britwres but it in particular is trash. Like the peado stuff that gets thrown around all the time about British wrestling really hits home when you start putting names and faces on victims. The rampant abuse of women (and some men too) goes further and deeper than I thought it did and that was with the benefit of knowing the scene is made up of some pretty horrid people. There's gotta be a total clear out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,763 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy


    I don’t remember a day like this in wrestling on either side of the the Atlantic in regards to stories of this nature. It won’t stop me watching wrestling as I believe the good far outweigh the ****ty people involved in wrestling. I just stopped watching the Saudi shows bar the first one because I didn’t feel okay watching them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭bennyl10


    Clegg wrote: »
    Jimmy Havoc's ex is now speaking out about the 3 years of emotional and mental abuse she suffered.

    Really poignant that One

    Seems like an absolute scumbag


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,763 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy


    showpony1 wrote: »
    I just read one fan #speakout because William Eaver shouted at him at the merch table...

    Shouting at someone isn't a good thing to do but come on let's not dilute the seriousness of the allegations.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭the eternal struggler


    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Shouting at someone isn't a good thing to do but come on let's not dilute the seriousness of the allegations.

    This is all very serious and there's already people with silly grudges trying to dilute it. I saw a guy from Scotland complain that Tyler Bate texted his Mrs trying to shag her. Like there is actual rape and sexual abuse allegations out there, stuff like shouting at a merch table and texting someone's girlfriend is just not helping really. Probably done with wrestling myself because of all this and I was barely hanging by a thread before it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88




  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty


    This is all very serious and there's already people with silly grudges trying to dilute it. I saw a guy from Scotland complain that Tyler Bate texted his Mrs trying to shag her. Like there is actual rape and sexual abuse allegations out there, stuff like shouting at a merch table and texting someone's girlfriend is just not helping really. Probably done with wrestling myself because of all this and I was barely hanging by a thread before it.

    Some are downright illegal, some show the attitudes towards women some of these guys have and some show the downright psychotic behaviour some of these women have had to put up with. None of it is positive.

    For some names already mentioned it might be tip of the iceberg stuff.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭showpony1


    This is all very serious and there's already people with silly grudges trying to dilute it. I saw a guy from Scotland complain that Tyler Bate texted his Mrs trying to shag her. Like there is actual rape and sexual abuse allegations out there, stuff like shouting at a merch table and texting someone's girlfriend is just not helping really. Probably done with wrestling myself because of all this and I was barely hanging by a thread before it.

    The most bizarre one i read was a girl saying that she wouldn't have sex with David Starr so he angrily went into the next room and had a hand shandy to porn.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton



    Very much struggling to believe that one


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,763 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy



    His experience show has already been recorded but his co host said the other one is being recorded Sunday and they'd talk about the stories that were breaking during the recording. I'm not sure they were expected to have to address this. I can see his wife being on the podcast now to presumably defend herself.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton


    OVW was long gone before dming was a thing and his wife is not from Kentucky so how would the commissioner be a family friend? In any case it appears that Kentucky doesn't have a commissioner rather a board, with multiple members.

    I think we may have heard before now if Cornette made people have sex with his wife to work in OVW it's so bizzare


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus


    Omackeral wrote: »
    She says it's Alexander Dean.

    Not shocked about him.
    Anyone who has ever met him will know why.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston


    OVW was long gone before dming was a thing and his wife is not from Kentucky so how would the commissioner be a family friend? In any case it appears that Kentucky doesn't have a commissioner rather a board, with multiple members.

    I think we may have heard before now if Cornette made people have sex with his wife to work in OVW it's so bizzare

    Joey Janela may or may not have alluded to it...

    https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1241429131998437377


  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭the eternal struggler


    Not shocked about him.
    Anyone who has ever met him will know why.

    Is correct I was waiting for this too from stuff I heard through several grapevines.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton


    J. Marston wrote: »
    Joey Janela may or may not have alluded to it...

    https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1241429131998437377

    I can get them having an unconventional relationship but I can't see a situation where everyone in OVW had to **** his wife to get booked.

    We are talking major stars and lots of people over many years and to have not heard anything about it it seems mad.

    "Grooming" suggests, to me at least, underage or paedophilia, not a woman "sliding into" a guys DMs.

    Everything has gone mad! We will see what happens


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,745 ✭✭✭hynesie08


    showpony1 wrote: »
    The most bizarre one i read was a girl saying that she wouldn't have sex with David Starr so he angrily went into the next room and had a hand shandy to porn.

    Is that the girl who said no because she had thrush? Who also said he had sex with her when she was blackout drunk??? Or does he have a habit of aggressively **** in bathrooms after girls tell him no..


  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭the eternal struggler


    showpony1 wrote: »
    The most bizarre one i read was a girl saying that she wouldn't have sex with David Starr so he angrily went into the next room and had a hand shandy to porn.

    It's all so stomach turning.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,985 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy


    I know this is for British/Irish wrestling, but was there any more about the Velveteen Dream accusations?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭bennyl10


    The Jim Cornette stuff is insane.

    Wouldn’t recommend it for early morning, but bat-s doesn’t cover it


  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar


    CastorTroy wrote:
    I know this is for British/Irish wrestling, but was there any more about the Velveteen Dream accusations?

    Some fans disproved it apparently but there hasn't been anything else about it since then.


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,763 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy


    OVW was long gone before dming was a thing and his wife is not from Kentucky so how would the commissioner be a family friend? In any case it appears that Kentucky doesn't have a commissioner rather a board, with multiple members.

    I think we may have heard before now if Cornette made people have sex with his wife to work in OVW it's so bizzare

    Well ovw is still there but his day to day involvement ended in 2006 because he was sent home. She's from California I think. Well as I said it was tweeted the Jim cornette experience was recorded last night for today but I think there may be a re recording and he will have to address it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,763 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy


    WWE have said they are aware of the allegations and are investigating them in regards to Jordan devlin. I think off line these allegations should be investigated because for all the good of social media it's not the place for these very serious allegations.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty


    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    WWE have said they are aware of the allegations and are investigating them in regards to Jordan devlin. I think off line these allegations should be investigated because for all the good of social media it's not the place for these very serious allegations.

    Considering most of those accused aren't in a major company that have the resources to conduct such an investigation then what other platform would you say is right? Keeping in mind some of the claims made aren't illegal, but do show the attackers as the creeps that they are. Some of these happened years ago, how do you get legal justice then?

    Huge credit to everyone who has spoke up. The idea that there's some huge upside to outting someone as a creep, sex pest or worse is ludicrous and a bit horrible to be honest. Chances are you're losing bookings, you're out of the loop with the boys club in the back, there's potential legal ramifications against you and you have to deal with a load of sexist dudes in your mentions accusing you of making up a traumatic experience. There's literally no reason to make the stuff up!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo


    I understand why people feel sketchy initially when stuff like this breaks. If you're kind of an outsider looking in and don't understand, it can seem like someone can just pick a name, pick a type of abuse and ruin someone. But that is to fundamentally misunderstand what happens in the real world to people who've traditionally spoken up.

    This isn't the first series of stories to break, yet many of those accused got sheltered and protected, there's some nasty tweets from 2017 from Will Ospreay that kinda shows the attitude many in the business had towards protecting their friends and using their fame to have anyone who accused them essentially blacklisted from wrestling and written off as 'crazy'. The Michael Elgin/Moses Malone story is another sad one: he continued to use and protect a guy who raped her and doesn't contend that, but at the same time both tried to use her for sex acting as a shoulder to cry on while gaslighting her into trying to keep quiet about speaking up...some really messed up stuff. She had evidence and posted screenshots he didn't/couldn't contend to back up all of this. What was the end result? Dave Meltzer painted a picture of her as a crazy liar, Elgin sued her for defamation (which the judge threw out and backed up that what she said was true if not illegal), many on Twitter started to attack her saying that a GoFundMe she set up was a scam, when even Elgin admitted there were legal proceeding etcs. It was a mess. That's what being a victim has been like even since the likes of MeToo. If you're a 'normal' person with no following, you're going up against a famous person who can, with one quote-tweet, send an army of their fans (who don't know a thing about them personally but are also emotionally invested in their public persona) after you to attack you.

    So no, it tends not to happen that people put themselves in that firing line. Consider David Starr's ex who started all this: on Wednesday morning he had an almost obsessive and aggressive cult following who preyed on every word he said, he'd been accused of basically being a nonce publicly before and it got zero traction, and he'd kept a folder of nudes etc of her he threatened to release if she ever spoke up...how do you think she felt looking at THAT lay of the land before saying anything?

    Also I can say for a fact that, with the allegations being released and shared wildly at the moment, it's being vetted by people who are demanding some form of proof and multiple sourcing before posting anything. Sadly there is something to the allegations that are being put out there, even if we don't want to believe some of them because we liked watching them wrestle. Also fwiw, I dunno if I'll ever tell this story fully myself, but I can personally state that after early experiences in wrestling I made a pledge myself to never bring a girl I was dating around wrestling because of the experiences of one I did. It's a thing, unfortunately, and I'm on those people's side because I had to see it through the eyes of people I cared about down the years. I wouldn't go near being involved in local wrestling for years after I left because I had such a bad taste and image of many of the people involved, until I found a place that shared my values that I felt happy to support and promote (and they've helped mould a generation of wrestlers who thankfully preach and live those values now, giving hope for the future).

    There are reasons behind why it is that way that I'll speak up on if someone more qualified and better served to doesn't first. But maybe this is the start of a change of the culture, hopefully.


Advertisement