Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost of Tsushima

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yeah but can you be a pasty ginge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Review Embargo is up at 3pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Launch trailer meant for Friday was leaked. It's an unlisted video

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is anyone else just kinda.... meh with this game so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is anyone else just kinda.... meh with this game so far

Aye, can't muster any enthusiasm for it. I must have commented on this thread previously because I'm following it but there's nothing about the game that's grabbing me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep. Does nothing for me. These generic open world games don't grab me at all but unlike, say Spiderman, this doesn't even seem to really break from the formula much at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It really looks ludicrously bland to me. Other than sheer technical polish (which is a given with first party releases these days) nothing about it looks appealing. I’m always willing to be proven wrong on something I haven’t played, but would take some seriously stellar feedback to even get me on the fence in the first place.

Also, for a game boasting of a ‘black & white Kurosawa filter’, it looks or sounds nothing like classic samurai cinema from what I’ve seen. This is only notable because they’ve gone so out of their way to insist it is. Just looks more like The Last Samurai (bland, Hollywood-ised take on Japanese culture) than anything from actual Japanese cinema. But hey that’s something hard to properly get out of trailers - just think the whole mystical otherness vibe they’re going for so far seems very silly.

Has there been extensive previews that uz are basing these opinions on?

There is little to none of the game been shown yet that I'm aware of

Maybe wait until you can actually check the reviews / videos out??

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Looks like a new samurai themed Assassins Creed game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Absolutely happy to see what people who’ve played it have to say.

Just based on the extensive marketing to date, I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole, which doesn’t tend to be a reaction marketers want to elicit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Probably been asked a few times here but where is the cheapest place to pick this up? Its 60 quid in Smyths which is more than usual. Doesn't seem to be on Argos' site yet.

Markitron wrote: »
    Probably been asked a few times here but where is the cheapest place to pick this up? Its 60 quid in Smyths which is more than usual. Doesn't seem to be on Argos' site yet.

Never on Argos until the morning of launch

Never on Argos until the morning of launch

Can't remember the last time I bought a game there, what do they usually charge for a new release?

I also read you can be stealthy and and un-samurai like or battle your foes with honor.... which sounds like the bland morality system of Infamous games although mercifully might not be as rigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Markitron wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time I bought a game there, what do they usually charge for a new release?

I think they're usually along the same lines as Smyths, maybe €55.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm looking forward to it quite a lot. I love the samurai genre and the inclusion of a Kurosawa filter makes me believe that there's a lot of love and faith to its setting put into this, but we'll see upon release.

Don't really care for the negative opinions that seem to be in fashion and float around pre-release for 95% of games these days based on scant amounts of footage and essentially trailers.

Unless it's categorically derided by critics, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to it quite a lot. I love the samurai genre and the inclusion of a Kurosawa filter makes me believe that there's a lot of love and faith to its setting put into this, but we'll see upon release.

Don't really care for the negative opinions that seem to be in fashion and float around pre-release for 95% of games these days based on scant amounts of footage and essentially trailers.

Unless it's categorically derided by critics, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Yea hating on stuff for clicks/views is the worst. You watch one video about a game/movie on YouTube and then you get 10 suggested videos of how said game/movie is a gigantic piece of ****

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I also read you can be stealthy and and un-samurai like or battle your foes with honor.... which sounds like the bland morality system of Infamous games although mercifully might not be as rigid.

I hate these systems that punish you or give you "the bad story outcome" because you chose to play the game in a fun way

Hopefully not the case here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I hate these systems that punish you or give you "the bad story outcome" because you chose to play the game in a fun way

Metro Exodus did that to me. Totally didn't even realize it until I got to the end. Really pissed me off. That and the game breaking bug that meant I had to replay several hours of the game made it one of the most disappointing games I've played.

Also, nobody here is hating on the game. Some people have just said they aren't that enthused about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'll be able to talk about it at 3 tomorrow.

But that trailer was poor. I was wondering where the Assassin's Creed Samurai was coming from, but then I watched that launch trailer.

Have a look at this one in Japan much better.

https://youtu.be/ZvF_dv5-aRI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

Playing in Japanese it is, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, in fairness, you're playing a Samurai, who had a code of honor (depending on their master, but still, Bushido) and were typically the 'good' guys. Playing any other way would result in you being banished and becoming a Ronin, which you could then be the bad guy if you wanted. So the 'bland morality system' actually makes sense here.

I'm hyped for this. Had it pre-ordered in GameStop but just purchased it on PSN, because I'm working nights I'm off Thursday and it would pain me to wait until Friday morning to collect it and then go to bed! Looks like the kind of game I'm going to get sucked into. Love the setting, love the dev's previous games, and it looks absolutely stunning. Will be great to play it again on the PS5 I reckon.

I dont think the samurai were as altruistic as you think in real life. Way more nuanced than some Jedi knight stuff and Kurosawa explores it really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah yeah, but in general they had a code and most stuck to it as best they could, while also making sure they followed their orders. But in the case of Ghost of Tsushima, you're a good Samurai (as far as I can tell).

You’re a ‘good samurai’ who also ninja invades bases stealth-killing folk :pac:

As I’ve said before, and this is an aside from this particular game, seems to me like there’s lots of potential in a straight-up samurai sim without all the fantastical flourishes, ninja action etc... Things like the sly trickery and small-town faction dynamics of Yojimbo; the battle planning and muddy brawling of Seven Samurai; the bloody, visually stunning action of Lone Wolf and Cub (this seems to have some of that at least!); the political and moral murkiness of Hara-Kiri; the lively, unpredictable ensemble-work of Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji. There’s a lot of potential there for something that doesn’t feel like it has to be a big, sprawling AAA game. Something that can remain relatively grounded and human, without delving into mystical superheroics. Combat that’s very rare but impactful and meaningful.

And no Retr0, Way of the Samurai doesn’t count when it has a character with the surname ‘Megamelons’ :p

I was about to say Way of the Samurai :D

And also if you read up on it her name in katakana is also big melons so megamelons is strangely historically accurate and was her nickname that was said behind her back.

Way of the Samurai 3 is a bit more grounded than 4. But if you really want a charming, janky but really fun samurai game which is one of the few true roleplaying sandboxes I'm videogames then there's nothing better than way of the samurai... because there's nothing else like way of the samurai.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You’re a ‘good samurai’ who also ninja invades bases stealth-killing folk :pac:

A "good Samurai" doesn't do that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

• Advertisement
Advertisement