Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ghost of Tsushima

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Holy shít, that looks class.

I love all that Samurai/Japanese stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wow! god only knows when we will see it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They shipped Infamous First Light in August 2014 so I'd say mid to late 2018?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Spiritual successor to Tenchu????????

Looks stunning. Hopefully not years away from release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think this is a lot further along than people think consider their last full game was released in march 2014 and from their prior games how quickly they can turn around a project, but we've got a lot of games from Sony for 2018 and not many dates past february so it's really going to depend on when they can fit it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Looks incredible. Will have to wait to see what the actual gameplay is, but for a first trailer that's damn impressive and has certainly piqued my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Shu mentioned back in 2015 that he had got a chance to play Sucker Punches new IP, so it is quite possible it will get a 2018 release.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

PS4 dynamic theme. 38BE-G6N8-L93A

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, I honestly thought I have been regularly posting in a GoT (oh that's going to get confusing) thread...

I cannae wait for this. This looks right up my street, and I think it will be one of the first of the PS4's swansongs. I also think it'll be a PS5 launch game, and I can't wait to play it again then. But my god it looks beautiful, and I've every faith in Sucker Punch to pull it off, I'm a big fan of their games and adored the first 2 InFAMOUS games. And as mentioned above, it looks like a spiritual successor to Tenchu (completing ignoring the fact that Sekiro is technically the actual successor to Tenchu, starting out as the next Tenchu game as they own the IP).

Give it to me now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Keep us tide over till cyberpunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Love the story of Samurai fallen from grace and having to resort to the ways of the Ninja to do whats right/get revenge. He might be an interesting character, one with inner conflict, i love the idea.

Games looks decent too :pac:

Nioh 2 is out next week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm gonna say it now, and I reckon I'll be right for me at least. This will be better than Cyberpunk. I've said it.

Can't book weekends off at work, so I'm due to be off the Friday, working Sat/Sun and off for a week then. Roster may be changing so if I can get time off, I will book it! My most anticipated announced game this year.

This will be better than Cyberpunk. I've said it.

:eek:

Well done PM, you've just blown minds all over Ireland with a single sentence....

giphy.gif

:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wary about this one. gameplay hasn't impressed me yet but more so because I'm not sure how it will play. And I haven't enjoyed a sucker punch game since the sky cooper games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ghost-of-tsushima-everything-you-need-to-know.201765/

All info on the game so far
    Main stuff:
    • It’s an open-world samurai adventure.
    • The game is grounded and realistic. There's no supernatural elements in this game.
    • The game is a original work of fiction they are not rebuilding history stone by stone.
    • Ghost of Tsushima is huge – the biggest game Sucker Punch has ever made by a wide margin.
    • You can play the game with a Japanese voice track. Even with a cast of mostly native Japanese speakers, they still have a dialogue coach for the game for authentic ancient Japanese.
    • No branching narrative
    • The game launches July 17th
    • The Game does have a photomode
    • Ghost of Tsushima Has Multiple Difficulty Settings
    • This isn’t going to be a UI heavy game
    • Swordplay and the horse is all mo-cap.
    • The composer of the game is Shigeru Umebayashi

Story

In the late 13th century, the Mongol empire has laid waste to entire nations along their campaign to conquer the East. Tsushima Island is all that stands between mainland Japan and a massive Mongol invasion fleet led by the ruthless and cunning general, Khotun Khan. As the island burns in the wake of the first wave of the Mongol assault, samurai warrior Jin Sakai stands as one of the last surviving members of his clan. He is resolved to do whatever it takes, at any cost, to protect his people and reclaim his home. He must set aside the traditions that have shaped him as a warrior to forge a new path, the path of the Ghost, and wage an unconventional war for the freedom of Tsushima.

The World:

• There a lot of stories in the game that you may not find them all.
    • The game will feature NO waypoints
    • There are many side characters in the game, most which have sidequests.
    • Jin will learn new things from NPC quests
    • Each area in the game has a different theme. That reflects to different stories and narrative themes for each area. The name of the area on the demo is "The forest of no return". Features betrayal stories with darker tone
    • You will roam vast countrysides, explore billowing fields, and tranquil shrines to ancient forests, villages and stark mountainscapes,bamboo forests to the urban center of ornate castles
    • They want to give players alot of navigational options ,we seeing horse riding, parkour and Jin swinging with the grappling hook so far
    • Dynamic time of day and weather , we seeing snow, and rain areas so far
    • Simulated clouds. All dynamic, not painted, never going to be seen twice
    • Procedural skies and procedural sun break tech
    • If you roll around a lot in the mud you will be completely cover. If it starts raining it washes away all the mud and blood
    • “Movement” is the environment theme, expect everything to move - blowing trees, windy fields, falling leaves
    • If you see something and you expect to be able to climb on it, then we want you to be able to climb on it
    • The trailer with Masako from E3 was a side mission
    • Jin will change what is wearing. In a rain-drenched part of the world Jin has traded his traditional armor for a straw raincoat called a mino. This has both mechanical value and narrative value

Combat:
    • The theme of the combat is “mud, blood, and steel”. They want a feeling of intensity and danger in the combat​
    • Combat system can scale all the way up from a one-on-one combat with a worthy opponent all the way up to dealing with a horde of Mongols
    • Master the bow to eliminate distant threats with lethal precision
    • Develop stealth and deception tactics to disorient and ambush enemies with surprise attacks
    • An adaptive landscape and organic approach to combat makes Tsushima the perfect playground for mixing and matching skills, weapons, and tactics to find the perfect combat blend for your play style
    • As Jin’s story unfolds, versatility and creativity will become your greatest weapons.
    • You can customize your katana
    • They want every swing to feel real, so every hit that connects leave a scar.
    • There is a progression system. Jin has learned to use a grapple hook but this is not part of his samurai training. He’s had to learn new tricks to silently kill the Mongols
    • Duels in the game is going to be very narrative base they want to build the tension, each duel will be around some unique element like the red tree
    • The square button will swing your sword
    • You can kill an enemy with a single strike from the blade if you hold the triangle button and release it at the right moment
    • You parry with L1
    • You can clean your blade with a button
    • Τhe chain assassinations we seen in the trailer you must hit the button at the right time to go to the next one there is a time period
    • Assassinations are one of the tactics you can use. There’s a fear factor here. If you do successfully assassinate someone then it stuns the other enemies around you and gives you an opportunity to perform follow-up attacks
    • You can perform horseback assassinations
    • Weapons we seen so far, swords,bows, stun/flash bombs and big possibility of more
    • Where Jin stabs someone though a screen is call the Shoji assassination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game will feature NO waypoints

Gone from no interest to... interesting.

This one feature made Breath of the Wild the only Open World game I thoroughly enjoyed and good to see at least one company take lessons from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Going to customize my Katana with a Red Dot Sight and Extended Mag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know. Not much interest in this, seems kinda dull and lifeless. Can't see myself liking the gameplay and the world they
    You can clean your blade with a button

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

Sucker Punch to me are still unproven after the infamous games which are just standard open world guff. I'm not excited at all by what I've seen but if this focuses more on player exploration then I could be pleasantly surprised.

Could be another Days Gone though but at least this seems to be trying something different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Gone from no interest to... interesting.

This one feature made Breath of the Wild the only Open World game I thoroughly enjoyed and good to see at least one company take lessons from it.

I'm the opposite. Wandering around aimlessly will immediately turn me off a game. It happened to me in both BOTW and Mario Odyssey. I don't have the patience or the time to play games like that.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. Wandering around aimlessly will immediately turn me off a game. It happened to me in both BOTW and Mario Odyssey. I don't have the patience or the time to play games like that.

Depends how it's handled. Thought scouting the lay of the land looking for clues in Zelda was massively compelling. Every hill, nook and crevice had something in it, a little surprise. It meant wandering off the path to look at something that looked kind of interesting was always rewarding. You could spend an hour walking to your destination as you kept getting distracted and not get there but it still massively rewarding. Ghosts needs that density of content and reward otherwise exploration will feel like a waste of time.

Not sure how anyone could dislike Odyssey, every inch of that game was packed with fun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not sure how anyone could dislike Odyssey, every inch of that game was packed with fun.

I don't dislike it, it's objectively a good game however I just lost patience when I needed more moons to progress but there was no indication of where to find them. I put the game down and haven't gone back to it as I know when I pick it up again I'll be in the same situation. It's basically a game that requires you to find collectibles to progress.

I like the idea of Shigeru Umebayashi composing, he has done the likes of House Of The Flying Daggers and Fearless,

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I don't dislike it, it's objectively a good game however I just lost patience when I needed more moons to progress but there was no indication of where to find them. I put the game down and haven't gone back to it as I know when I pick it up again I'll be in the same situation. It's basically a game that requires you to find collectibles to progress.

That was the fun part for me. And there was always lots of moons to collect, way more than you needed to progress and never had any trouble finding enough to progress. Most of them were really fun to search out and presented a unique challenge. The only time that got repetitive for me was finding the last few in the port game where a lot weren't very inventive and felt like busy work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Also posted in PS4 megathread...

New State of Play this Thursday, 9PM Irish time. Dedicated (entirely!) to Ghost of Tsushima

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The waypoint thing doesnt bother me really, i doubt there will be much climbing in the game, so you will likely just have to pay attention to what NPC's have to say for directions and what to do next..

Those that aren't arsed as much can just follow a guide, it'll be just like the old days :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement