Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost of Tsushima

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I would like ACG, his tastes would work in line with mine from the reviews he has done, as for eurogamer and polygon, i always find they are both willing to push a political view or personal bias and use it against a game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I had no interest in the game if it was another ubisoft formula game but would have liked to be pleasantly surprised if it was a breath of the wild game changer or even something fun like Spiderman. The reviews from the usual sources I trust back up my fears that the game really isn't for me.

No confirmation bias at all. The only bias here is what's being flung at me.

Have to say I'm fond of Metro gamecentral as well.

Even the more negative reviews do state there's fun to be had with the game it just does nothing to push forward the open world game design template that's been used so much in so many games. And as I don't enjoy those games I know it's not for me.

No flinging :D

What I can take on it is alot of critics and YouTubers are saying it does alot to improve on open world tropes in certain aspects (Not all)
    A few opinions I have read state it does take some ques from breath of the wild

I will take on board the negative also to note

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Disappointed to see there is no NG+ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Disappointed to see there is no NG+ :(

Probably be added in an update. Same happened with Horizon, GoW and Days Gone if I remember right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Glad to see it getting great review scores from sources I trust, of course ultimately I'll make up my own mind on it when I play it Friday. This will keep me tied over until fairytale at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I doubt it's a bad game either. It's just disappointing to me that it sounds so ordinary. We've had 5 Sony exclusives now follow the Ubisoft template and while horizon differentiated itself with great combat and Spiderman with movement this just seems to be a bit average of at least better than days gone or the studios own second son.

Would have been nice if they were braver and gave us an actual samurai simulator. Way of the Samurai 3 but with a budget and no jank.

I know every Sony exclusive can't shake things up like god of war did but it would be nice if they did as we aren't really starved of open world template games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We are up to Way Of The Samurai 4 already.

Going to go back to reading Vagabond, I think I will give this a miss for the time being.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I had no interest in the game if it was another ubisoft formula game but would have liked to be pleasantly surprised if it was a breath of the wild game changer or even something fun like Spiderman. The reviews from the usual sources I trust back up my fears that the game really isn't for me.

Good Q and A here from Alanah Pearce, she says the open world is similar to breath of the wild.

https://youtu.be/eGQDI5oUy10

Can't embed it for some reason.

Good Q and A here from Alanah Pearce, she says the open world is similar to breath of the wild.

That's a good thing as I said

That's a good thing as I said

Ahh so you did, I didn't see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There you go.

The BOTW comparison is interesting. This is much more BOTW than Assassins Creed alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

She hasn't convinced me. Doesn't actually sound like breath of the wild at all from what she is saying as her comparison isn't what I liked about how that game handled the open world.

It sounds a bit like they wanted to go in that direction and then chickened out and put the foxes, birds and wind mechanic in there.

It's more a the world is the same because it's pretty and not the open world is handled the same as it dumps you in it and trusts you to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Read EGs review....so its not a great book or movie.

Not sure from reading it what kind of game it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

She hasn't convinced me. Doesn't actually sound like breath of the wild at all from what she is saying as her comparison isn't what I liked about how that game handled the open world.

It sounds a bit like they wanted to go in that direction and then chickened out and put the foxes, birds and wind mechanic in there.

It's more a the world is the same because it's pretty and not the open world is handled the same as it dumps you in it and trusts you to figure it out.

Are you a fan of The Witcher 3, AC Odyessy and Horizen Zero Dawn

Witcher 3 yes, awesome mission design. Even side missions.

Assassins creed odyssey.... I might be if I had the time. Think there's too much busy work in it but the series is so much better now it's gone full RPG. Bounced off it due to too much busy work.

Horizon, not a massive fan. Poorly written sci Fi generic story and bland Ubisoft open world. Combat is really good though. I might give it another shot on pc if it's cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm pretty sure Retr0 won't enjoy another new game unless it's Dark Souls combat on top of a Fighter Jet from AC7 which you also control at the same time, and having no icons on a map. :pac:

Midnight Thursday can't come quick enough!

What I'm really looking forward to is the content created in the camera mode. It's insanely cool. At any point in the game you can hit right on the d-pad and enter this mode.

Then you have tons of options from zooming, adding blur or focus to the back and foreground. Setting multiple camera angles, music, filters. Even turning up the amount if leaves blowing in the wind!!

The game looks so good anyway. Might be the best looking game this generation, but when I got into the editor I lost hours making mini animations.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Grumpy, do you have a review out? Haven't been following this at all, could be a pleasant surprise if i decide to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Quick question regarding download times for those with fibre optic broadband: how long do downloads of this size usually take for you?

I have FTTH, 150Mb option. If I left it on standby, it would be down in under an hour, but took 3 hours today as I was playing a game/watching Crunchyroll. Some games download quicker though, SFV downloaded in under 30 mins last week.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Grumpy, do you have a review out? Haven't been following this at all, could be a pleasant surprise if i decide to pick it up.

Yip it's up. I think you'll like this game. We have similar good taste :)

I think it's great. A Lovely game to just explore and get lost in. They have some very clever mechanics to keep you out of menus and mini maps and in the game.

In a lot if these games I tend to unconsciously watch the mini map to navigate and end up missing half the game. So Instead of following a mini map, the wind blows in the direction you need to go. Or birds or a fox will pop up and bring you to a secret.

You can spend hours just wandering and exploring a rich vibrant living world. It's almost a sightseeing simulator at times :)

There is a flow through the game that makes it so enjoyable to play. Getting around and slipping into combat can be seamlesd. When it clicks is so rewarding. But it has the potential to go arseways quickly if you miss a parry too.

Pretty much everything is really well done and it is impeccably presented.

• Advertisement

Where are your reviews grumpy?

Yip it's up. I think you'll like this game. We have similar good taste :)

Days Gone Bro's for life :pac:

Ah i was happy to ignore this for a while but might have to have a peek now. It's a rare one where i don't mind reading reviews for a game so if you can post yours, will look forward an ol perusal.

Link to the review below. Some mild very early game story spoilers but nothing you wouldn't know from looking at the box.

http://www.bone-idle.ie/ghost-tsushima-review/

How did I forget the best part. If you have to walk with an NPC, follow a bird or fox or really just move along beside anything. If you walk they walk at the same pace, if you speed up they speed up, if you start running they start running !!!

:)

Link to the review below. Some mild very early game story spoilers but nothing you wouldn't know from looking at the box.

http://www.bone-idle.ie/ghost-tsushima-review/

Great read man..... And now i want to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I’ll add my own review here too for anyone interested :)

http://insidethebox.reviews/review/ghost-of-tsushima-ps4-review

Absolutely loved the game, definitely gave me strong Breath of the Wild vibes. Fun combat, the most beautiful open world I’ve ever seen, brilliant music and voice acting and great characters leading the story.

rm212 wrote: »
    I’ll add my own review here too for anyone interested :)

http://insidethebox.reviews/review/ghost-of-tsushima-ps4-review

Absolutely loved the game, definitely gave me strong Breath of the Wild vibes. Fun combat, the most beautiful open world I’ve ever seen, brilliant music and voice acting and great characters leading the story.

Great review man, damn ye anyway with yer tempting words.

Advertisement