Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Have not read the thread as I am only on Ch 14...

I just wanted to say a big f*ck you to Jules and those bloody pull uos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

At last, the Tim Rodgers review:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I watched an hour of it last night, and will work through the rest over the next few days. I admire his insane dedication to absurdist, deadpan nonsense mixed with manically thorough analysis - for me it’s basically a type of relaxing ASMR.

Finished it earlier today.

Combat system was very enjoyable, although I did find Normal mode a bit too straightforward. Will play through on Hard mode over the next few weeks.

Agree with what others are saying in terms of the game design at times, a bit clunky, linear and repetitive.

Was disappointed in the ending for two reasons:
    1. I am still not sold on the ending...it seems to be to allow them to have a licence to make changes to the story in future episodes

2. I enjoy the original much more after leaving Midgar, and I am annoyed I have to wait for it now :pac:

I am interested to see how they will approach the retention of materia, weapons, experience moving forward. I would like to see some sort of a system where at least part of it is carried over.

Just to add to the above, the soundtrack is great.

First few chapters on Hard mode cleared. Still tearing through the minions as my materia set up is good and I know their weaknesses.

Some of the later bosses I can see been a real pain though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Speaking of the soundtrack it should be released today on some storefronts I think.

Can't find it yet (to buy I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Speaking of the soundtrack it should be released today on some storefronts I think.

Can't find it yet (to buy I mean).

That a bigger version than the one that came with the deluxe edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It's on google play, yeah it's the full soundtrack. 150 tracks or something

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not seeing it on Spotify yet anyway. Guessing it might be a while before they release it on digital services?

Here for those looking

€18.50 for the full 156 songs or 99c each.

Been a long time since I bought music. Would like to hear it on spotify or something first if possible, but to be fair, it was a very good soundtrack

• Advertisement

Ch 9 of Hard mode now...so much for taking a break :pac:

Haven't found it too difficult so far without items and MP restores, you just need to have some forward planning for bosses.

What do people make of the ending?
    I seen a very well put theory on Reddit that what happened in FF7 the original is one possible course of events, and that Aerith and Sephiroth are aware of what should happen, hence the introduction of the specters of faith. I think SE wanted to set themselves up with enough scope so that they can explore new narratives or add to the existing ones.

Difficult to judge it without knowing the end point they are aiming for. I do think that it would be confusing for players that have not played the origianl

One thing is for certain, it has made me want to play the original again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dave0301 wrote: »

Haven't found it too difficult so far without items and MP restores, you just need to have some forward planning for bosses.

What do people make of the ending?
    I seen a very well put theory on Reddit that what happened in FF7 the original is one possible course of events, and that Aerith and Sephiroth are aware of what should happen, hence the introduction of the specters of faith. I think SE wanted to set themselves up with enough scope so that they can explore new narratives or add to the existing ones.

Difficult to judge it without knowing the end point they are aiming for. I do think that it would be confusing for players that have not played the origianl

One thing is for certain, it has made me want to play the original again!

I like the direction they're going, but the mechanism they used is balls.
    There was no need for any of it.

Could have been done seamlessly echos of their original selves appearing at dividing points in the story.

Like when you're doing time trials in a racing game and you're racing a ghost car of your previous run.
    They already have flashbacks from Nibelheim scattered throughout the game. Could do something similar there.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Could have been done seamlessly echos of their original selves appearing at dividing points in the story.

Like when you're doing time trials in a racing game and you're racing a ghost car of your previous run.
    They already have flashbacks from Nibelheim scattered throughout the game. Could do something similar there.

Agree 100% with this, the way it was handled was barrel scraping stuff. I'm still not even sure who that ending was for; fans who want a faithful retread basically get taunted, whereas newcomers to the series now have something that it supposedly a remake, but at the same time has an ending that almost makes having played the original game a requirement.

Like has been said above, nothing wrong with the concept, but everything wrong with the convoluted clusterf*ck way in which it was handled. Square Enix's ability to tell a coherent story is debatable at the best of times, and that ending gave me no confidence that they are going to be able to deliver a satisfying narrative moving forwards.

Padre_Pio wrote: »

goon_magee wrote: »
    Agree 100% with this, the way it was handled was barrel scraping stuff. I'm still not even sure who that ending was for; fans who want a faithful retread basically get taunted, whereas newcomers to the series now have something that it supposedly a remake, but at the same time has an ending that almost makes having played the original game a requirement.

Like has been said above, nothing wrong with the concept, but everything wrong with the convoluted clusterf*ck way in which it was handled. Square Enix's ability to tell a coherent story is debatable at the best of times, and that ending gave me no confidence that they are going to be able to deliver a satisfying narrative moving forwards.
    If I had not played the original, I don't think that ending would make a whole lot of sense...even less so when you have played the original :pac:

For what it is worth, I think Aerith still dies, but to make it even more emotional for players of the original, it will happen and she will know that is has to...i.e. the whole density with a capital D

Just cleared all the battles in the Shinra VR challenge. The last boss was not as tough as the 2nd last one. It was worth it just for Cloud's response to the monologue he had to listen to!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just finished it a couple of nights ago.

Really enjoyed the last boss fights. Very intense, and interesting possibilities as you seemed to be fighting future echos of yourself.
    I'm glad its going in a different direction to be honest. I've played FF7 so many times I know the story and the beats like the back of my hand. Yes its Meta, and needs you to have played the original but I find the idea really intriguing. With so much time and effort involved I can understand Squeenix not just wanting to do a retread.

I'm less happy about biggs and wedge surviving as their deaths were a big part of Barret becoming more human but we'll see where this goes. I think Aerith will die regardless, her death still being a lynch pin event in defeating Sephiroth, but she'll go in to it eyes open and accepting.

They absolutely nailed the characters and development of all the old gang. Watching cloud move from being a loner to being a member of the group made me proper smile at points.

The Tifa theme that was exclusive to the butterfingers promotion in the states is now free on the store if anyone is looking?
    Can see it here

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

On my second playthrough on hard mode and I'm realising how mind-blowing the ost is. Chapter 15 in particular is a highlight: https://youtu.be/xR3Uuw5xomQ

As a FF veteran I'm used to a few battle themes in a FF title but I feel like there's 10+ remixes of the battle theme in FF7R.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Playing the game on hard now as well, the no MP restores make it quite challenging as there's loads of Materia I barely used in normal that are now super important.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Playing the game on hard now as well, the no MP restores make it quite challenging as there's loads of Materia I barely used in normal that are now super important.

I was the opposite. All of my materia was near maxed by the time I started my hard play through.

Prayer and Chakra x 2 were maxed and used for healing as well healing materia for emergencies.

I had two elemental materia and tried to use this to slice through the minions and save MP for boss fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Prayer materia is the best AOE healer, chakra is a great personal top up.

Elemental materia becomes very important, especially for some boss fights. If you junction to defence with the right element it can make it much easier.
    This is very important for the Bahamut hard mode fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Vicxas wrote: »
    Prayer materia is the best AOE healer, chakra is a great personal top up.

Elemental materia becomes very important, especially for some boss fights. If you junction to defence with the right element it can make it much easier.
    This is very important for the Bahamut hard mode fight.

Just on the ending - watched it a few times - not sure Zack is still alive. Is that not just a flashback as Aeris pasts the place he dies?

I know in crisis core he defeats the army but a second batch of infantry kill him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

One thing I really appreciate is how much the item/mp rules change the hard game. I think it breaths new life into the game and changes how you have to think about combat.

Not the biggest thing but definitely something I appreciate.

I am thinking of doing another run through of this as I liked the combat so much.

I have already cleared it in hard mode. Does anyone have any suggestions on making a run through more challenging, but in a fair way?

one of the guys on the thread did a "no-heal" run-through. maybe you could try that you masochist :D

RedXIV wrote: »
    one of the guys on the thread did a "no-heal" run-through. maybe you could try that you masochist :D

I am not quite that bad :pac:

Maybe I will just give the original a play through instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I am not quite that bad :pac:

Maybe I will just give the original a play through instead :D

I did the no heal run on my first play through. The boss fights felt way more tactical as I had to learn their patterns and minimise damage as much as possible. I allowed myself healing outside of combat, with potions and equipping healing materia when needed. I would highly recommend it.

I didn't do the bonus post game content in the battle area. I was somewhat burned out on the game and wanted a break, never got back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

That is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Playing through this atm,very disappointed at how little player Input is required for combat it's a spam square feet besides 2 bosses I have come across,loving the nostalgia though there's a lot of heart in this game.

Some complaints the dungeons needed to be cut down more than once I've turned a corner after a long trek through an area to find another massive slog awaits me!

None more egregious than
    chapter 12,s long trek to getting to sector 7,you learn the plates going to drop and there's no sense of urgency just one big slog a dungeon into another,actually amazed that they turned train graveyard into from a few screen area to 2 completely separate areas InvOf itself! Liked the arith sideplot but should have been cut out and out somewhere else,it just took away from what was supposed to be a fraught race against time Then the plate...wow those goodbyes with biggs and Jesse were so over the top and then biggs isn't even dead and neither is wedge for that matter!I was speechless left it after finding him but will return to finish it off/

• Advertisement

daheadonu wrote: »
    Playing through this atm,very disappointed at how little player Input is required for combat it's a spam square feet besides 2 bosses I have come across,loving the nostalgia though there's a lot of heart in this game.

Some complaints the dungeons needed to be cut down more than once I've turned a corner after a long trek through an area to find another massive slog awaits me!

None more egregious than
    chapter 12,s long trek to getting to sector 7,you learn the plates going to drop and there's no sense of urgency just one big slog a dungeon into another,actually amazed that they turned train graveyard into from a few screen area to 2 completely separate areas InvOf itself! Liked the arith sideplot but should have been cut out and out somewhere else,it just took away from what was supposed to be a fraught race against time Then the plate...wow those goodbyes with biggs and Jesse were so over the top and then biggs isn't even dead and neither is wedge for that matter!I was speechless left it after finding him but will return to finish it off/

Agree with most of that to be fair. Some of the later encounters make things a bit more demanding if you don't have the party set up properly.

Hard mode makes you engage more with the combat and needing to know your enemy and set up accordingly.

Advertisement