Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#SpeakOut - Sexual Assault Allegations Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,909 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Knew Alberto Del Rio was a piece of ****

https://411mania.com/wrestling/alberto-del-rio-sexual-assault-charges-grand-jury/

As previously reported, former WWE Superstar Alberto Del Rio, aka Jose Alberto Rodriguez Chucuan, was arrested in May and is facing charges of sexual assault after allegedly assaulting a woman. PWInsider had an update on the current movement on the case and Del Rio’s status. Per the report, that there hasn’t been additional movement on the case as of July 8. [...] Alberto Del Rio was previously released on $50,000 bond. He’s reportedly hired several defense attorneys to represent him in this case.

Jeez, that's awful. Of course, innocent until proven guilty. Dude does have a laundry list of offenses, I'm amazed how he keeps finding work. Be shocked if he worms his way back into WWE, but do you think he'll be back in TNA again?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

You'd have to think once the charges have been put before a grand jury, that they'd indict? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Jeez, that's awful. Of course, innocent until proven guilty. Dude does have a laundry list of offenses, I'm amazed how he keeps finding work. Be shocked if he worms his way back into WWE, but do you think he'll be back in TNA again?

Interesting question.
    I'd say Impact would gladly have him back as he is a name.
    AEW wouldn't touch him as it seems to be aiming for a zero policy type of thing (officially anyways) As for WWE if he gets convicted they'll never touch him - "Alberto who?" - you know yourself.

He's 43 now so he could easily go 5-7 years. Maybe more. Thing is apart from all this mess isn't he known for some crazy coke habit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

He's boring as hell even without the baggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will Ospreay statement two days ago.

Ec6a9eqWsAAXaxb?format=png&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I read someone saying he is weaponising mental health and I fully agree.

Ospreay is a scumbag. He denied and denied and denied that he blackballed a woman who his friend raped, got caught in a lie and then disappeared. Now after the heat has died down he's out with the depression spiel. Excuse me for not buying it.

Also, fúck Meltzer who has come out today and compared him to Hana Kimura. Hana Kimura did nothing wrong. Ospreay is a cúnt and deserves his public flogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »

Ospreay is a scumbag. He denied and denied and denied that he blackballed a woman who his friend raped, got caught in a lie and then disappeared. Now after the heat has died down he's out with the depression spiel. Excuse me for not buying it.

Also, fúck Meltzer who has come out today and compared him to Hana Kimura. Hana Kimura did nothing wrong. Ospreay is a cúnt and deserves his public flogging.

thats sick if he's doing that. I know anxiety isn't the worst of mental health conditions like bi polar and others but I suffer from anxiety at times(thankfully not as much now) but I've never used it to get sympathy or change the subject but I've never been accused of anything as serious as he has. IF that is what he is doing than **** him and the horse he rode in on.

And Dave meltzer can go and do one as well. Bruce Pritchard was right(never thought I'd say that) but meltzer needs to not be held in such high regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's exactly what Ospreay is doing, trying to deflect from what he's been caught in, even Stevie Wonder could see it.

It seems to be a pattern for any celebrity these last few years. Get into some sort of trouble, conveniently fall back on mental health.

Just own up to it, and maybe his conscience wouldn't be nagging at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I remember reading a story about Jericho's cruise where Booker T went nuts when Meltzer saddled up to him and Flair. If only more wrestlers treated Meltzer with the same utter derision as the ones that have given him the time of day, have only ended up overinflating that ego of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

Lads, the answer can be both. The depression is real. It may have been triggered by the reaction to his scummy behaviour, but that doesnt negate the issues he has.

I'm not a fan of him, but you cant look at it as simply as you are! Depression is real.

Speaking out isnt just about the abuse (which is horrific) it is about the wrestling fans who creep all over wrestlers too. Alot of people living in glass houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lads, the answer can be both. The depression is real. It may have been triggered by the reaction to his scummy behaviour, but that doesnt negate the issues he has.

I'm not a fan of him, but you cant look at it as simply as you are! Depression is real.

Speaking out isnt just about the abuse (which is horrific) it is about the wrestling fans who creep all over wrestlers too. Alot of people living in glass houses...

I don't think any one his doubting the existence of depression.

Some are just saying its convenient that Will is choosing to come out with this now. Screams damage limitation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

depression is real. It may have been triggered by the reaction to his scummy behaviour

This is highly suspect and screams of deflection. Having major depressive disorder is a SERIOUS mental illness, not feeling down because you got caught as a liar and manipulative scumbag. It's normal that he SHOULD be feeling down - he's reaping the rewards of years of abusive behaviour. It comes off as emotionally blackmailing fans into getting back on his side.

For his sake, I hope he's playing this up for sympathy - depression is a horrific, devastating, long-standing mental illness.

This reminds me of when Kevin Spacey tried to deflect his sexual predatory behavior with "hey I'm gay".

You are all making assumptions. None of you are psychologusts. My point is that the depression may have been triggered by the reaction to his bad behaviour. A mixture of guilt and realisation that he made some scummy decisions.

I am not a psychologists but understand from a mental health aspect (very different bad behaviour of course) where this can happen. If he is deflecting then he is beyond sociopathic, not against the realms of possibility but we cant diagnose someone we dont know.

Osprey and others cant get back on peoples good side. What he did doesnt deserve a quick forgiveness because he can do a flip and is good at his job, that takes time. I would hope that we are all grown up enough to know that its not that simple, 'i did something bad, I'll play the depression card'

If you;ve never been through it (some will say you have but you havent if this doesnt resonate), you will never understand.

As for Spacey, he was a serial predator. Long spells of same behaviour. Does Osprey have a history of covering up bad behaviour (i honestly dont know, open to correction) point being Spacey had a pattern, does the other fella?

Life is not simple.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    This is highly suspect and screams of deflection. Having major depressive disorder is a SERIOUS mental illness, not feeling down because you got caught as a liar and manipulative scumbag. It's normal that he SHOULD be feeling down - he's reaping the rewards of years of abusive behaviour. It comes off as emotionally blackmailing fans into getting back on his side.

For his sake, I hope he's playing this up for sympathy - depression is a horrific, devastating, long-standing mental illness.

This reminds me of when Kevin Spacey tried to deflect his sexual predatory behavior with "hey I'm gay".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well if his depression is triggered by his bad behaviour, he deserves it. You reap what you sew.

That said, Im betting is a deflection.

Only my two cents... But I agree that the osprey "depression" is bull*hit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Joey Ryan is back on Twitter, and he's come out fighting.

One hour long. Just started watching it (having a wild Saturday night, me...) but at the start he denies all allegations and says he has evidence to prove this.

Ballsy stance to take given the sheer amount of allegations towards him. But it's only fair that both sides are heard, gonna watch the rest.

*Edit*
    J bet me to it. Really should have reloaded the page before hitting reply :p

Here's the tweet in question...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeyRyanOnline/status/1284620725400113152

A 58 minute video is a hefty watch if I am to be honest. Wonder why he is coming out now tho? He went quiet and even closed his promotion Bar Wrestling. Shouldn't he have come out fighting it at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

One hour long. Just started watching it (having a wild Saturday night, me...) but at the start he denies all allegations and says he has evidence to prove this.

Ballsy stance to take given the sheer amount of allegations towards him. But it's only fair that both sides are heard, gonna watch the rest.

Please make bullet points, the only thing I have less interest in watching than a joey Ryan match is a joey Ryan promo.......

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Please make bullet points, the only thing I have less interest in watching than a joey Ryan match is a joey Ryan promo.......

Only 15 minutes in. It's hard to know with this stuff but the allegations he is defending with DMs and texts from the women involved do favour him. But how much stock do you put in DMs and texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Watched it. Ain’t a body language expert but I think everything he’s saying is true (or he at least isn’t bluffing, that’s for sure). He is holding his hands up about a few shady things and talks through the others.

Call me hoodwinked but I’ve a feeling from the tone of txts and DM details that Ryan is a bloke acutely aware of consent. In all the shared content he shows nothing that would scream truly scummy behavior.

I am watching the video at the moment and honestly I don't know what to believe any more.

**edit**
    I am 26 minutes in and ah jaysus I don't know. A lot of women he is defending against. A lot. Surely he cannot be squeaky clean against them all.

At the same time one cannot instantly presume all are telling the truth either. I dunno.

I will say this tho who keeps texts or messages fom two years old? :p
    Also he's either a total stud (squeaky clean) or he is flirting with anyone who has a fanny (to be fair he isn't the only guy who does that in this world) so I dunno. This is mad.

** Further edit**
    He's mentioning the words "mental health" a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The main thing I took from this is that good God, I can barely keep hold of messages more than a year old never mind years old.

If people have to right to call him out on social media without evidence then he has the right to a rebuttal which is convincing in places, but the video only really serves to give you a window into how all over the place Joey is.

He seems to need the constant reassurance and presence of a woman and it's not hard to see how that could lead to dodgy behaviour. Some of the detail he goes into doesn't sound like what he thinks it does so all in all, this video was ill advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

*Edit*
    A 58 minute video is a hefty watch if I am to be honest. Wonder why he is coming out now tho? He went quiet and even closed his promotion Bar Wrestling. Shouldn't he have come out fighting it at the time?

Haven't watched but gong by others' posts, I assume he took that time to find the texts and DMs. I assume with the sleazy character he can portray he thought to keep anything that may cover him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

If you don’t want to watch the whole thing some notes in there

https://twitter.com/wrestlingsheet/status/1284690624965496832?s=21

You are not qualified to make comments on peoples mental health.

This is the issue with wrestling fans. You know nothing about the fella. I met him, he was a bell end. But I dont doubt his mental illness. Triggered by rotten behaviour doesnt mean its attention seeking or BS.

You are the issue with wrestling fans......Alot of them on here.
    Only my two cents... But I agree that the osprey "depression" is bull*hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The fact that he says his lawyer told him not to comment and then proceeds to do an hour long ramble tells you all you need to know. He's trying to rally public opinion because legally he could /should end up in jail.

He's waited, he hopes enough time has passed and that some forgiving men will see his side of it. And to anyone willing to even hear him out the only possible reason anyone can give for the near 20 allegations against him is that there must be a mass conspiracy against Joey Ryan (!)

If legal action is coming a lawyer will tell their client to stfu while they investigate.
    That is normal.
    If he is guilty, then he should be locked up and key thrown away. He has put his case forward for his innocence. Now the accusers can refute that and sue him

He is putting his case forward in the same arena that cancelled him.

The fact that he says his lawyer told him not to comment and then proceeds to do an hour long ramble tells you all you need to know. He's trying to rally public opinion because legally he could /should end up in jail.

He's waited, he hopes enough time has passed and that some forgiving men will see his side of it. And to anyone willing to even hear him out the only possible reason anyone can give for the near 20 allegations against him is that there must be a mass conspiracy against Joey Ryan (!)

• Advertisement

You are not qualified to make comments on peoples mental health.

This is the issue with wrestling fans. You know nothing about the fella. I met him, he was a bell end. But I dont doubt his mental illness. Triggered by rotten behaviour doesnt mean its attention seeking or BS.

You are the issue with wrestling fans......Alot of them on here.

:pac: Love the way you quoted me yet there was this with 7 thanks:

See "this is the issue with wrestling fans" you are talking about - that's called having an opinion. You believe he is genuine. That's fine. Myself, and at least 8 people on here who feel he is not being genuine. That's fine too.

Agree or disagree you have that right. But so do others.

Advertisement