Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your gardening photos

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Use the link from the attachment to embed it between the image tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I find when you attach a photo it just displays it as the photo name, would prefer to embed it in the post instead so you can see my lovely postage stamp size garden :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can embed it. You just need to copy the link of the attachment and then use that as URL between the IMG tags.

Like I did in this post:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113470981#post113470981

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

New Home wrote: »
    You can embed it. You just need to copy the link of the attachment and then use that as URL between the IMG tags.

Like I did in this post:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113470981#post113470981
    I had a family of hedgehogs breeding in my hedge for about 5 years. Unfortunately no sign of them this year. I think its because i got a chihuahua and he could escape under my side gate so i had to put chicken wire at the end of it and it meant they didnt have access to my nature pond for water.

P. S dont get a chihuahua;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6sUriNEhoRJ8eHmg9

Was looking for pics of the hedgehogs and got distracted amd decided to put together a few pics of the progression of my garden. Some before and afters but probably backwards.
    P. S rhe image imbedding didn't work. Not sure if its because of multiple images or the fact its google photos.

• Advertisement

The latter - AFAIK, Google photos isn't Boards-friendly (but I stand to be corrected). You'll have to upload the pics as attachments, once that works you can then embed them. In general, though, you'll need to attach each of them individually.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/amU4HPhLtVcV6cr39

Got some nice window boxes today.
    Tried to upload image but file size to big it didn't recognise the Google format to upload from url.

Silly question but... if you have them on your phone, why do you upload them to google and then from there?
    Re: the size, you should be able to resize them on your phone, too (depending on your phone, I'd guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Check the second post in this thread - very detailed, clear instructions on how to attach a photo and then get the photo into your post as well.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94689468

New Home wrote: »
    Silly question but... if you have them on your phone, why do you upload them to google and then from there?
    Re: the size, you should be able to resize them on your phone, too (depending on your phone, I'd guess).

They get backed up to google automatically and its an easy way to share. I did try to upload the image directly from my phone bit that was over 5MBs so id said no. I briefly tried to reduce the size but gave up :D

• Advertisement

20200524_170051_zpsczlqvi9k.jpgfinally did ot through photo bucket from the phone app.

Here is a photo of my back garden taken a few years ago as I was beginning to put ideas together for re doing it

EylbBJK.jpg

Its only 3m wide x 8m long, and is north facing, surrounded by walls. I decided I wanted to be able to come out the back and feel like I was in another country (weather permitting, heh)

I decided to do some research on exotic plants which will grow here, and keep that theme, mixing them with shade loving plants.

7Ys3oQE.jpg

So thats what i'm going with, here's some sketches that i'm working with and I started removing the concrete slabs and green shed last week. Theres a decking underneath - hurrah!

hiVcKkZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Interesting project, involving plenty of work, paddylonglegs! As a matter of interest, Monty Don has a series on BBC2, 2 p.m. Big Dreams Small Spaces. Episode no. 1 just shown already today. Lots of inspirational ideas and tips for people starting from scratch!

Interesting project, involving plenty of work, paddylonglegs! As a matter of interest, Monty Don has a series on BBC2, 2 p.m. Big Dreams Small Spaces. Episode no. 1 just shown already today. Lots of inspirational ideas and tips for people starting from scratch!

It will keep me going alright, and hope to post up some progress photos here.

I really like that show, very relatable for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I love that program! Lots of ideas to play with even if you have a larger back garden.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I can't believe someone layed slabs directly onto decking.

I can't believe someone layed slabs directly onto decking.

There’s lots of other plasters to be torn off this project believe me. Photos to follow!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Best of luck with the project, you have a great mature tree at the end of that garden too. Literally decades of time to get it to where it is. Some trellis along a wall and a bench by the tree would be a suggestion (if you're looking for some!)

lordgoat wrote: »
    Best of luck with the project, you have a great mature tree at the end of that garden too. Literally decades of time to get it to where it is. Some trellis along a wall and a bench by the tree would be a suggestion (if you're looking for some!)

So the trees at the back are large alright and they have obviously managed to find somewhere to spread their roots. It’s offering lovely dappled shade in this weather and I plan to put have a small patio here. Around the trees I will have a sleeper raised bed with it high enough to perch with a coffee (beer, who am I kidding). Then back fill, add some planting which will get a slight bit of height.

I was thinking of painting this wall a dark colour to make the garden feel more elongated, but will make a decision when closer to being finished.

This was my bank holiday weekend. Old deck removed and skipped. Begun loosening soil around the planting areas. Next will be putting down hardcore to prep for paving. Finding a paver is the tricky part right now though!

JjHH3lt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This was my bank holiday weekend. Old deck removed and skipped. Begun loosening soil around the planting areas. Next will be putting down hardcore to prep for paving. Finding a paver is the tricky part right now though!

Stick a job up on tradesmen.ie with a low-ish estimate. I'd say you'll get a few bites. Loads of builders still off work on emergency payment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Finally got garden path done. My back is in bits, but done before the rain:)

Screenshot-20200724-162809-Gallery.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Nice! It looks lovely with the cattle feeder :D! I'm planning on robbing the idea next year! Did you settle on what to grow up it yet?

Moo :) viburnum kilimanjaro on the left side (its recovering from the bad wind all year.) Sweet pea on the right. That's the side I'm still working on for next year.

20200724-170949.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Finally got garden path done. My back is in bits, but done before the rain:)

Screenshot-20200724-162809-Gallery.jpg

This looks lovely. Nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Nice job. For the path itself, what size stones is that? Did you just stick some fabric underneath it? I have to do similar but on a smaller scale

Nice job. For the path itself, what size stones is that? Did you just stick some fabric underneath it? I have to do similar but on a smaller scale

I went for a dark limestone 14mm . Dug 120mm deep, Weed membrane, then 60 mm of crushed stone (hardcore) the 30mm of limestone. I used a wacker to compact both hardcore layer and top layer. I haven't edged it yet as I'll probably make flower beds along it at some point. But edging would be best if you not planning on doing that

Moo :) viburnum kilimanjaro on the left side (its recovering from the bad wind all year.) Sweet pea on the right. That's the side I'm still working on for next year.

20200724-170949.jpg

This looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

They keep getting bigger by the minute.

20200731-102835.jpg

• Advertisement

patnor1011 wrote: »
    They keep getting bigger by the minute.

20200731-102835.jpg

Is that bindweed? That stuff gives me nightmares. I let it grow this year and sprayed what i could but barely put a dent in it. Does roundup go off?

Advertisement