Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watchmen- HBO-(***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Penn wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I read last week that the big blue Dr.Manhattan "intimacy device" Laurie went to use in episode 3 was called Excalibur.

Excalibur.

Ex-Cal-Abar :D

*Chefs kiss*

And with that the penny drops also. Am not on episode 8 yet, but suddenly all that prior resting antagonism Laurie had for Angela suddenly takes on a new context really.

Which also reminds to say that Jean Smart has been awesome; charismatic, absolutely no F's given, but still hiding that brittleness from a lifetime ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the hiding of his face was so annoying and not sure the reveal justified it, I hope there is more to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,261 ✭✭✭✭Penn

the hiding of his face was so annoying and not sure the reveal justified it, I hope there is more to it.

He was a hell of a hand actor! :D

I get why they did it. They needed a reason for him to look like Cal later in the episode and for that to be how we see Dr.Manhattan, but didn't want to show what he originally looked like before becoming Cal because since that would be our first look at the real Dr.Manhattan, that's the face we'd always be stuck with in our minds.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,399 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I doubt there is, sure we know exactly who he is. It was so they didn't have to cast someone else to play him before he took on Cal's features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Agreed. I think it was done that way to tether DM with Cal.

it only makes sense to freak out his kids cos angela knew what his previous face looked like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1.8: What a cool love story :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

it only makes sense to freak out his kids cos angela knew what his previous face looked like

That makes no sense. The kids would be freaked out because he’s blue and standing on water.

They don’t use his face in the show so that they maintain the same actor’s voice. It’s a cool stylistic choice I thought. Otherwise another actor would be miming the voice and it would look off, or they use two actors, with two different voices. They needed the consistency as it’s a love story with Angela falling for Dr M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Wasn't mad about the effects for Manhattan. Something just looked a little off. I understand the chasm between TV and movie budgets but still I was expecting something a little bit more spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Just a fantastic show. Take a bow Lindelof. Hopefully it gets renewed. I wouldn't be surprised though if it's just the one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Couldn't take to it. Have up after a while.

That makes no sense. The kids would be freaked out because he’s blue and standing on water.

They don’t use his face in the show so that they maintain the same actor’s voice. It’s a cool stylistic choice I thought. Otherwise another actor would be miming the voice and it would look off, or they use two actors, with two different voices. They needed the consistency as it’s a love story with Angela falling for Dr M.
    and they'd be even more freaked that its their dad who has turned blue and is standing on water.

They did use two different voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

and they'd be even more freaked that its their dad who has turned blue and is standing on water.

Didn't one of the kids have some abilities, they were levitating and making a mini castle in an early episode. They touched on Dr M being able to transfer his powers via dna but didn't elaborate as far as I can remember. I wonder is there something going on with the kids they haven't gone in to yet. He says someone would have to consent before he would transfer his power suggesting they might be in on it to some extent

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

strawdog wrote: »
    Didn't one of the kids have some abilities, they were levitating and making a mini castle in an early episode. They touched on Dr M being able to transfer his powers via dna but didn't elaborate as far as I can remember. I wonder is there something going on with the kids they haven't gone in to yet. He says someone would have to consent before he would transfer his power suggesting they might be in on it to some extent

I think that was just the toy he was playing with, it looked like a type of electromagnetic lego. Sister Knight was in the room with him at the time so she would have been a bit weirded out if he was using some powers to do it.

Where says that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭boccy23

Where says that?

He said his voice was different when Angela selected the body in the morgue. He said I can change to suit but she said no, it suited him that way.

they are not actually their biological kids. (I know the Dr M said he could pass it on in food too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Fantastic show, at the start I was a bit so so, but the last few episodes have been fantastic.
    I really hope there is enough buzz for a S2.
    So each clip of Ozzy has been a year, I must rewatch them again and now that I know that.
    We might get him coming back at the end of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

they are not actually their biological kids. (I know the Dr M said he could pass it on in food too)

Yep aware of them being adopted, but as you say,
    Dr M mentions passing it on, and for example seems weirdly intent on making waffles towards the end of the last ep- eggs seem to be a recurring theme so could be the delivery system for transferring of powers and they did seem to emphasize Topher (name could be a clue too) earlier in the season.

No strong evidence, but the show has been so good at hiding and revealing its plot that I find myself looking at all possibilities.
    Just a fantastic show. Take a bow Lindelof. Hopefully it gets renewed. I wouldn't be surprised though if it's just the one season.
    seems Lindelof is making noises that there may not be a series 2 regardless of viewership as he's put all his ideas to date in to this series:
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/17/watchmen-creator-damon-lindelof-fan-theories-easter-eggs-might-not-get-season-2-really-really-long-time-11170978/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Yep aware of them being adopted, but as you say,
    Dr M mentions passing it on, and for example seems weirdly intent on making waffles towards the end of the last ep- eggs seem to be a recurring theme so could be the delivery system for transferring of powers and they did seem to emphasize Topher (name could be a clue too) earlier in the season.

No strong evidence, but the show has been so good at hiding and revealing its plot that I find myself looking at all possibilities.

seems Lindelof is making noises that there may not be a series 2 regardless of viewership as he's put all his ideas to date in to this series:
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/17/watchmen-creator-damon-lindelof-fan-theories-easter-eggs-might-not-get-season-2-really-really-long-time-11170978/

Well i like that they haven't planned for multiple seasons. Just do 1 properly. Can't wait for the finale now. I'd say when it's over it's popularity will grow and we will get more in time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Season 1 wraps itself up nice and neat, then yeah I suppose why not just keep it at that; nothing worse than a show clearly written as a once-off, then subsequent seasons' scripts dragging stories and plots far past breaking point.

At least with HBO they'll be given as much time as they need to come up with ideas for a second season and not be forced into having to adhere to TV schedules like some other shows do.

boccy23 wrote: »
    He said his voice was different when Angela selected the body in the morgue. He said I can change to suit but she said no, it suited him that way.

My point was that it is the same actor for Dr M throughout, so both voices are the same person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

The issue with taking there time is actors will have moved on they can't tie them down to maybe will will get a second season in 2 or 3 years time contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I assume everyone is aware of the post credit scene at the end of episode 8? I only came across it by accident

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,399 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

siblers wrote: »
    I assume everyone is aware of the post credit scene at the end of episode 8? I only came across it by accident

Yeah, I would have missed it if someone hadn't mentioned it on here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,111 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The season finale will be 67 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Dr Manhattan has obviously chosen Angela for a reason, he can move back and forward in time so he it is obvious that he chose her for a reason, I would be disappointed if the Cavalry finish him off, A super hero getting killed off by a load of racist hillbillies would not sit well with me. He has obviously gone ahead in time and planned what is going to happen, I have to say this is one of the best Tv shows I have ever seen,,,,,top top class..........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The season finale will be 67 minutes long.

I have other reasons to stay up late but I'm going watching it on Sky Atylantic, racy commercials and all.

• Advertisement

Blimey Charlie episode 8 was fantastic. I'm actually ok with this perhaps being all we get, because honestly, how could any season 2 or onwards match what has been almost peerless TV? The law of thermodynamics only points to lesser iterations, Dr Manhattan would understand :D

An absolutely beautiful love story, threaded into a time travel oriented narrative, while answering a bunch of questions posed across the series. The reveal about the sheriff's demise brought a wry laugh from me.

Apparently Alan Moore voted for the first time in 40 years last week; with that change in mind, maybe this might be the adaptation (as such) to finally get him to change his curmudgeonly ways re. TV and film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just an all-round lovely season of television :) A season of television that feels complete; direction that went very often above and beyond; writing that did right by the comics and then some.

I've long thought adaptations should be brave and different rather than sticking firmly with the source material, and this is a great case study in what can happen if that goes well. This has the spirit of Watchmen and by the end many of the same characters, but it also stands proudly as its own wild thing. It feels far truer to the original than the movie - a more literal adaptation - by diverging wildly.

Also satisfying that it all wraps up nice and efficiently - this week's was perhaps the most straightforward of the season in terms of storytelling (the good guys facing off against the big bad in a race against time), but also brought weeks of questions and subplots to a satisfactory and exciting conclusion. Indeed, there's a good case to be made that this series is the most positive example of the often infamous 'mystery box' mode of storytelling popularised by Lindelof and JJ Abrams back in Lost: here the answers were rarely more than a few episodes away, and they almost always felt like sensible, convincing answers at that.

Bonus points for the
    icky but well deserved pleasure of Senator Keene being pulverised into goop
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

One of the best pieces of TV in the past decade without a doubt.

Captivating from start to finish.

Absolutely fantastic. They really went wild with the story but brought it all together in such a brilliant and satisfying way. Favourite part of the episode was just the scene between Reeves and Angela. Really tied everything off so well.

I have to say I almost hope they don't do another season. Just let it be what it was.

Didn't enjoy the last episode as much as the last few weeks. Even with a nearly 70 minute runtime it felt like a 2 parter squeezed into 1.
    I wish they didn't kill off Dr. Manhattan, after having him captured by the under developed & pretty dull 7th Cavalry. Then Ozymandias getting arrested via a wrench to the head made him look like such an idiot. A real lack of looking glass in the episode too after disappearing a few weeks ago. Speaking of lack of a character follow up, I know it was apparently explained on Peteypedia but lube guy, was never revealed last being shown sliding down into the sewer.

Its ending leaves any follow up season hard to go manage as Ozymandias' secret is out now, Manhattan is dead, both Trieu's are dead, Seventh Cavalry/Cyclone are gone & it feels like these characters stories have been told.

Overall the series was so far above my expectations it still feels like a huge success story for graphic novel adaptations, especially for someone like me who is bored with comic book movies.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I both Trieu's are dead

Bian is not

Tzardine wrote: »
    Bian is not

Was she not shown at the end in a car very much not alive??

ERG89 wrote: »
    Was she not shown at the end in a car very much not alive??

I saw her in the car and though she was alive and arrested. But you could be right. I didn't look closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I thought she was alive as well.Cops arrested her it looked like to me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Fantastic season of television. Feels like this is a product of everything Lindelof has learnt over his career.

It takes the best of what Lost and Leftovers did, and then adds some. The writing is ultra focused. Every idea and component of these 9 episodes were meticulously planned, laid out and then wrapped up.

The final was probably one of the weaker episodes, with episodes 3 & 8 being the strongest.

It’s one of those few times where the standard and quality was so high that I almost want it left alone. I’d be perfectly happy with HBO wrapping this up after one season. Funnily enough this comes after I seen Rian Johnson’s Knives Out earlier this month and felt the same way. It was so perfect, it would feel almost criminal to add to it.

Like that old saying goes, you wait ages for a bus and then two come along at once

Mickeroo wrote: »
    She's totally going to find magic waffles in the kitchen next week and get his powers from them :pac:
    Well I wasn't too far off....though we might never know for sure.

Great season of tv, getting this and Chernobyl in the space of a few months. We might never have it as good again.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I thought she was alive as well.Cops arrested her it looked like to me .

She was definitely alive.

Yeah I just looked back at it. Definitely alive. She is blinking in the back seat of the cop car.

Satisfying finale.

I loved the nod to the Hooded Justice with Angela's kid looking at her mask.

Edit: "In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."

anti-climax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭brevity

Ah I don’t think it was an anticlimax, it’s sad to see it end and I think the ending wasn’t the best episode but it was a good ending to the story.

Absolutely fantastic television. Will miss it.

Loved the show, but feel the demise of Manhattan was too easy, even if he wanted it to end that way, I thought it was very weak, he could have used his powers to finish them off without anybody ever knowing, I also felt there should have been more episodes, there was great characters and I would have loved to see more of their stories..

Loved the show, but feel the demise of Manhattan was too easy, even if he wanted it to end that way, I thought it was very weak, he could have used his powers to finish them off without anybody ever knowing, I also felt there should have been more episodes, there was great characters and I would have loved to see more of their stories..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭Cartman78

ziggyman17 wrote: »

I thought that initially as well but having listened to a couple of podcasts since it seems that it was more likely part
    of his masterplan to defeat both Lady Trieu and the 7th Cavalry, whilst simultaneously saving mankind once again, as he realised that technology had caught up with him and he could no longer protect his powers.

Whether he then passes those powers on to someone else is another debate altogether ;)

Loved this show and will miss it. It was complicated for sure but not in a totally ridiculous way like Westworld imho.

Would highly recommend The Leftovers to anyone that liked Watchmen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ziggyman17 wrote: »

Same here. He's a God, he shouldn't have needed to go out there and kill them one by one whilst they were shooting at them. He should have been able to wipe them out in an instant without even moving. It kinda cheapens his death. Still an incredibly good show though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement