Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

I've been going home that way again since the weather got dark and crappy.. It's been quite peaceful, and a lot less stressful than the Naas Road!

Other option was to come off at the 9th lock up by Ronanstown Garda station, but that road looks quite narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've been going home that way again since the weather got dark and crappy.. It's been quite peaceful, and a lot less stressful than the Naas Road!

Same just don't leave it too late though I got caught in the office last Friday and passed just before 7pm, fires had been lit and and lot people were hanging around. Now nothing happened but it was enough to make me uneasy. Normally I'm through there before 6 and its been fine lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I’ve just passed through again and the lads who were working seemed to have packed up and left. Couple of lads over there waiting to score and a lad on a scrambler but has it parked up. They seemed pleasant. Said hello.

Stopped to chat with the guys working there this morning and they're waiting for an order of replacement polls to be delivered, there is a huge amount of work as all the cabling has to be replaced and the ducts are blocked with debris. They're installing polls they had in the yard and hope to have some lights back by Christmas. They also mentioned that they're on site from 6.30am so they can finish before the worst comes out on the canal.

When I passed around 1 today, one of the dealers was sitting in a leather seat taken from a car and had a little fire going to keep himself warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 innsmouth

lol, teenagers would cycle into grand canal docks and just terrorize everyone

I've seen a couple of phones being stolen off tables in the smoking areas of bars there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

tnegun wrote: »
    Stopped to chat with the guys working there this morning and they're waiting for an order of replacement polls to be delivered, there is a huge amount of work as all the cabling has to be replaced and the ducts are blocked with debris. They're installing polls they had in the yard and hope to have some lights back by Christmas. They also mentioned that they're on site from 6.30am so they can finish before the worst comes out on the canal.

Fair play. I cycled past while you (presumably you!) were chatting with them. Wondered if it was someone from Boards!

If it was about 8:25 that was me alright

When I passed around 1 today, one of the dealers was sitting in a leather seat taken from a car and had a little fire going to keep himself warm.

Had to laugh during one of the wettest days he was sitting there with a parasol!! Unfupping touchable!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Excellent news.
    Blatant dealing going on in places.

Lights are back on as well just after Grange Castle inbound.
    I also met some plain clothes in an unmarked car driving up slowly with their headlights off the other day. Had a brief chat.

ORGANISED crime along the Grand Canal, primarily Clondalkin to Lucan, and Park West, is being targeted by a major multi-agency operation.

Gardai in Clondalkin and Lucan are both currently involved in the operation to tackle criminal activity along the length of the canal.

Key targets are drug-dealing, vandalism of public lighting to aid drug-dealing, and intimidation of innocent residents using the amenity.

Videos have done the rounds on social media of cyclists having fireworks fired at them along the canal, while a number of cyclists have had their bikes taken off them by gangs of thugs.

The Echo understands the operation started in the last couple of months, and has resulted in a number of arrests.

Gardai have stepped up patrols in the area, including a dog unit last weekend, and hope to have garda push-bikes on the canal by Christmas.

It is deemed by senior gardai to be a long-term operation, tasked with cleaning up the canal area from serious anti-social activity.

The Grand Canal Greenway is a joint project between Waterways Ireland, South Dublin County Council, ESB, Dublin City Council and the National Transport Authority.

According to the council, parts of the infrastructure, particularly lighting and CCTV, have been subject to “serious vandalism and are currently out of commission”.

“Arrangements are being made to bring this infrastructure back into operation – due to ongoing serious anti-social behaviour, these works are not without difficulty,” said the council.

At a Policing Meeting in Clondalkin on Tuesday night, the council said new “anti-vandal” camera parts have been sourced.

The Echo understands the parts won’t arrive from the UK until the end of the year, but will be installed in 2020.

Meanwhile, cabling for CCTV cameras along the canal is currently being installed underground, to prevent it from being vandalised.

Clondalkin Superintendent Seamus Dalton said it is an “ongoing” operation and involves “police on the ground”.

Supt Dalton told The Echo that some cameras had been vandalised deliberately and the recent installation of new cabling is an important aspect to the investigation.

Speaking at a Policing Meeting on Lucan/North Clondalkin over a month ago, Lucan Superintendent Paul Dolan said the difficulty was in resourcing, but it was “going well” and they “didn’t want to lose ground.”

A spokesperson for the council said: “The route links the city to the west of the county and with the installation of the ‘red bridge’ provides a cycling/pedestrian route to Lucan. The primary responsibility for the physical maintenance of the route in South Dublin County rests with the council.

“Despite increased specification there remains the potential that the new works may be the subject of further damage in the future.

Liaison continues with the gardai in this regard. In conjunction with the gardai, the council will make every effort to maintain the CCTV and lighting in operable condition to ensure that the Greenway remains a safe route to serve the public.”

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

It would be just if were possible to divert the cash that CAB hauls off local dealers to be invested into repair and upgrade to the smashed up infrastructure.

The dealers must have read the article.

You could be guaranteed 10-12 hanging around the old lock-keepers house on the right at 1 o’clock for the past 2 months. Hail, rain or shine. Same old faces, same bikes.

Not a sinner around today.

I noticed the council installing what looks like a pump/tool set on the ninth lock when I passed around 5 today. Looked something like this with SDCC stickers on it.

https://turvec.com/product/public-cycle-repair-station/

Delighted to hear all this! Have been away with work for the last week or so but its back to the canal from Monday!

This is what they installed at the ninth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭obi604

This is what they installed at the ninth.

How long will this last with the scum? 2/3 days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

@maltanar: I was almost killed by a gang of lads armed with metal rods on the Grand Canal cycle path, ambushed at a squeeze stile. They made off with my e-bike but not before beating me up. See dents on helmet below. @GrandCnlGrenway @IBIKEDublin @dublincycling @DubCityCouncil @IWAIreland https://twitter.com/maltanar/status/1204178242195935233/photo/1

Jesus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

Glad to hear you are ok! Sorry about your bike - Shocking this stuff happens in this city.

Until they remove those kissing gates and deal with anti social behaviour, I will not be using this cycle path.

It could be a fabulous facility!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

raheny red wrote: »
    @maltanar: I was almost killed by a gang of lads armed with metal rods on the Grand Canal cycle path, ambushed at a squeeze stile. They made off with my e-bike but not before beating me up. See dents on helmet below. @GrandCnlGrenway @IBIKEDublin @dublincycling @DubCityCouncil @IWAIreland https://twitter.com/maltanar/status/1204178242195935233/photo/1

Jesus!!!

As someone who used to work regularly in the area I can say that although I heard they were put in place to prevent dirt bikes coming in. mentioned in the twitter feed as the reason for the kissing gates they didn't prevent that happening

• Advertisement

Guy in work met the same gang at Bluebell and was lucky to escape with his bike and a bloody noise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

You'd wonder how would the Gards take it if an adult was to give them a good kicking if they tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

You'd wonder how would the Gards take it if an adult was to give them a good kicking if they tried that.

Unfortunately they would be obliged to investigate the adult who did that. It's not easy at all being a Garda these days. But I think that in this case they have use the difficulty of dealing with underage criminals as an excuse to do nothing at the Grand Canal. And now the problem appears to have got out of control.

Coincidentally, I cycled the grand canal cycle path from end to end yesterday, with no issues. I did, though, see some youths on the far side of the canal hanging around on mountain bikes. They may or may not have been up to no good.

We all know at this stage that security is a serious issue on this path but I for one would still encourage people to use it as abandoning it to the anti-social elements will only make the problem worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

As I've said before some day they will attack some hard chaw who's mates are not far behind and they will get a severe hiding.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

It was all over the Joe Duffy radio show this afternoon. The Bluebell gang etc etc.
    Harrowing stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Cousin was a beat guard based in Dublin 8 up until the summer til he got a transfer home. Gang is from in and around the Bernard Curtis estate in Bluebell, mostly under 18's. Every guard knows the main ones by name and where they live etc, but when they scoop them up for phone or bike robbing or assault they are let back out on bail the same day in the childrens court. He reckoned it would be more practical use throwing them in the canal each time they caught them, rather than the pointlessness of wasting all day bringing them to station, court etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

FFS - was always told to try avoid the Clondalkin end... Now its Bluebell too!!

For what its worth the Clondalkin end has been fine since the ASB spiked just after Halloween, the lights have been repaired, new CCTV installed and additional Garda patrols after representations we're made by several community groups and local Councillors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

“Anti-social behaviour used by gangs to control parts of south Dublin” - loosely related to this thread and confirms some areas are out of control.
    Bluebell is one of the red zones on their map.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/anti-social-behaviour-used-by-gangs-to-control-parts-of-south-dublin-research-1.4111448

Advertisement