Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I was up sally gap a day or two after the widespread coverage of the incident up there and I saw two garda cars separately. I have no doubt they were up there in response to the coverage. So fair play to the people updating this and writing emails, keep at it and hopefully there will be an increased presence there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

a148pro wrote: »
    I was up sally gap a day or two after the widespread coverage of the incident up there and I saw two garda cars separately. I have no doubt they were up there in response to the coverage. So fair play to the people updating this and writing emails, keep at it and hopefully there will be an increased presence there soon.

To be honest, I hope there isn't an increased garda presence there. Much much more crime happens elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

To be honest, I hope there isn't an increased garda presence there. Much much more crime happens elsewhere.

Plus increased Garda presence is always a short term localised patch if nothing is done to neutralise the perpetrators further down the low enforcement chain. And since we neither have the means nor should wish to have a Guard at the corner of every street and road - “more Garda presence” is usually not a sustainable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Manholes reopened over the weekend with further attempts to destroy the CCTV, Waterways will attempt to get out and close them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I wonder how effective CCTV is.... who is looking at it and is it being acted on, because from what I have seen... they are wasting their time trying to destroy it

• Advertisement

Not sure who monitors it but I have heard someone asking the scrotes via the loud speaker to move on so they started throwing their cans/bottles at the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

tnegun wrote: »
    Not sure who monitors it but I have heard someone asking the scrotes via the loud speaker to move on so they started throwing their cans/bottles at the cameras.

could they get those devices that only scrotes can hear and gets them to move on? or would that be against their human rights :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

mloc123 wrote: »
    I wonder how effective CCTV is.... who is looking at it and is it being acted on, because from what I have seen... they are wasting their time trying to destroy it

Over €30,000 was spent on a camera at Cherryfield traveller site beside the Spawell a few years back to stop illegal dumping - dumping continues and no prosecutions. They put a few tyres under the camera, set them on fire, then dump a load of crap over the wall, smoke from the tyres covers any activities.

Dick Warner did a barge trip along the canals back in the early 90's for Waterways, (a TV documentary well worth watching), they had a Garda along that section for security reasons and he mentioned that it was a notorious spot for highwaymen and robberies since the canal opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

A couple of years ago, we were passing at the ninth lock and a voice came over the speakers telling us to pick up the plastic bottle that our dog was playing with and happened to leave it behind. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Bob24 wrote: »
    Plus increased Garda presence is always a short term localised patch if nothing is done to neutralise the perpetrators further down the low enforcement chain. And since we neither have the means nor should wish to have a Guard at the corner of every street and road - “more Garda presence” is usually not a sustainable solution.

Well what is the solution? Get chuck norris to go out with a gun?

The only realistic solution I see would be more gardai on the ground

• Advertisement

The community garda on bikes patrolling randomly between the 9th and 11th/ring road during the day would be something right now they know they can act with impunity and have no fear of being caught. Interestingly 3 senior scrotes were inspecting the reopened manholes this morning at 7.30 when I passed.

a148pro wrote: »
    Well what is the solution? Get chuck norris to go out with a gun?

The only realistic solution I see would be more gardai on the ground

2 aspects of the solution:
    1) Ensuring these behaviours don’t develop as much (this is a question for our overall society and is possible to achieve - see a place like Japan where is doesn’t exist at all)
    2) If it still does happen, make sure it is not tolerated and there are real consequences for those involved (and here the issue is not with the guards, but further down the line with the judicial system, as well as with society as a whole which has grown comfortable with tolerating this stuff)

More Garda presence solves nothing in the long term and is a mixed bag even in the short term unless the above points are addressed. Thugs are less and less afraid of the police (while the police is gradually becoming more afraid of them), and know there will be no consequence to their actions. So at best what that extra police presence in location A does is to move the issues to location B (i.e. improving safety in one location is achieved by making another location less safe - a relief for some people but a zero sum game for the overall public). And since we will never have an infinite budget for policing, once the police eventually and inevitably pull ressources from location A again because they are needed more elsewhere, then the issues simply return to location A.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

In the last week I've seen a group of 3 guards and a pair today - both times their car was parked at the 10th Lough flyover and they were walking up and down the dodgy stretch.

Thats great news I've been in touch with several public reps and the community policing rep all commited to increasing resources in the area but I hadn't seen it. Some poor unfortunates motor bike was dumped in the canal last night too along with lighting being burned out, the open drug dealing is still taking place further up too but any garda presence is welcomed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Snowiejoey

Gang of junior scrotes at 11th lock around 17.45 today trying to stop cyclists and escooters heading to Adamstown, just to try them out. Waiting at the top of the incline to ensure their targets have slowed. Route has been relatively Ok to R113 but they have taken over past there. Appalling that one of the few examples we have of good cycling infrastructure is being destroyed by the presence and activities of these. (Apart from the gates!)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

No more greenway in the evenings for me. Back to the road after my experiences during the last two commutes home.
    • Metal object thrown at my face.
    • Firework up my ass.
    • Fake hit.

I've been hit with stuff and knocked off the bicycle over the years on that greenway when passing groups. So those fake hits don't help!

Safe travels for those that continue on the greenway in the evenings. Only about another month of brightness in the evenings anyway before I would take to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

coward wrote: »
    No more greenway in the evenings for me. Back to the road after my experiences during the last two commutes home.
    • Firework up my ass.
    • Fake hit.

I've been hit with stuff and knocked off the bicycle over the years on that greenway when passing groups. So those fake hits don't help!

Safe travels for those that continue on the greenway in the evenings. Only about another month of brightness in the evenings anyway before I would take to the road.

good for nothing wasters

• Firework up my ass.
    • Fake hit.

Can I share your video with the public reps I'm in contact with? After seeing that I'm thinking of trying to get on the media to highlight the inaction or at best ineffectiveness of each and everyone of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

If any of ye work for the big companies in Grange Castle I'd get them to get onto and hassle the government/TD's about the situation too. Only strata of society politicians seem arsed to listen to.

That stretch in particular alongside the estates in Bawnogue/Kilmahudrick/Lindisfarne have always been dog rough as the estates themselves are so isolated. Every now and then the guards will put a bit of presence and move the gous away, but it's not a viable long term solution as guards obviously can't be there all the time. CCTV is pointless if not combined with enforcement as well.

Can I share your video with the public reps I'm in contact with? After seeing that I'm thinking of trying to get on the media to highlight the inaction or at best ineffectiveness of each and everyone of them.

Yes, of course, share away. Thanks for asking and good luck in your quest.

• Advertisement

• Firework up my ass.
    • Fake hit.

Looking at this footage, your boards user ID seems a bit misleading! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

• Firework up my ass.
    • Fake hit.

coming out of town is that before or after Park West?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    coming out of town is that before or after Park West?

After. It's between Clondalkin and Lucan. Just after the 11th Lock.

About 2/3km after Park West past the 9th lock road crossing.

Yes, of course, share away. Thanks for asking and good luck in your quest.

I've passed the footage to them along with the request for what actual actions will be taken rather than promises of discussion will post back the responses. If anyone else wants to join these are the agencies/Councillors/TDs responsible for that area

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Eoin Ó Broin <eoinob@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>
    clondalkin_community@garda.ie <clondalkin_community@garda.ie>; Andrew Lane <alane@SDUBLINCOCO.ie>; Colm Ward <cward@SDUBLINCOCO.ie>; Teresa Walsh <twalsh@SDUBLINCOCO.ie> Francis Timmons <ftimmons@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; wCarey@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie <wCarey@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; Peter Kavanagh <peter.kavanagh@greenparty.ie>; Kenneth Egan <kegan@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; Trevor Gilligan <tgilligan@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; Emer Higgins <ehiggins@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; eoin.obroin@oireachtas.ie <eoin.obroin@oireachtas.ie>; john.curran@oireachtas.ie <john.curran@oireachtas.ie>; gino.kenny@oireachtas.ie <gino.kenny@oireachtas.ie>
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Unfortunately, I think the only solution to this would be mandatory sterilisation of all scobes, or possibly an all-out scummer cull.

As much as I'd love to see that happening, some poxy dictators (Hitler, I'm looking your way) have ruined genocide for all of us by using it against groups of people that didn't deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Have cycled twice from Adamstown to town and have loved it.
    At 7.30am - people jogging and walking dogs, cycling etc.

Doubt il cycle home that way in the evenings after seeing some of the previous posts, little bastards ruin it for everyone.

Does anyone know if the lights along the canal actually work, will need them now for the darker mornings.

sheriff2 wrote: »
    Have cycled twice from Adamstown to town and have loved it.
    At 7.30am - people jogging and walking dogs, cycling etc.

Doubt il cycle home that way in the evenings after seeing some of the previous posts, little bastards ruin it for everyone.

Does anyone know if the lights along the canal actually work, will need them now for the darker mornings.

It's a beautiful route in the mornings. This morning in particular was amazing. Blue sky and that mist that sits above the water when it's a bit cold. Really is a fantastic route when it is peaceful.

The lighs are ok - not that bright but suppose you have to keep the local (good) wildlife in mind. I use the road though as soon as the dark evenings roll in.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Yeah was really nice this morning, had to stop twice for a photo. Such a shame we allow these fookers to ruin everything (although they are just young kids)

In a country like Holland a cycle path like this would be encouraged.. If manged correctly the amount of cars or even bikes it could take off the main roads- would it be too much to have security manning it for 2 hours each evening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A Drone strike to wipe them out.

All the rage apparently :)

Advertisement