Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Radio5 wrote: »
    Any motor ad which suggests that SUV's of any kind are driven on mucky roads/tracks or mountain roads, in short anywhere that's off road. That's not where they are driven in Ireland so they need to make the ads more specific to our Irish driving styles!

"Spend your hours in traffic in comfort."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I don't care enough to be bothered by ads but I figured folks posting here are the best to ask.

The McDonald's ad with the two girls coming home from a holiday - waiting for luggage, looking for car in the rain, etc.

The girl with the hat looks very familiar. Anyone know if she is a TV series or does she just look like another actress?

[Removed Image]

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

The Donegal Catch ad?

No, the donegal catch ad I actually like. This is the 'I'm TV advertising' ad where a little annoyance tries to imitate some of the popular ads over the years. He ruins them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I posted somewhere, maybe here about the Dublin mint. I signed up for the free Michael Collins coin. They sent me four other coins too and then sent me threatening letters for not paying for them, and rang me in work to ask if i wanted to put a deposit down for the 450 euro gold coin.

Never again.

There's been complaints about them from when they set up here. People thinking they're an official state mint when they're nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's been complaints about them from when they set up here. People thinking they're an official state mint when they're nothing of the sort.

Yeah, there’s a ring of .co.uk, 0898 to the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I don't care enough to be bothered by ads but I figured folks posting here are the best to ask.

The McDonald's ad with the two girls coming home from a holiday - waiting for luggage, looking for car in the rain, etc.

The girl with the hat looks very familiar. Anyone know if she is a TV series or does she just look like another actress?

[Removed Image]

She's the head off Emily Atack (present day), who would do serious damage at a Maccy D's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Tim76 wrote: »
    She's the head off Emily Atack (present day), who would do serious damage at a Maccy D's

Until your post I was not aware of Emily Atack so she is not the person that makes the McDonalds girl look familiar.

And I don’t see the similarity to be honest in picture of Atack online.

I know it's been mentioned before but that elf lidl ad. It's pathetic. The ad actually is so ridiculous. The dad looks like he'll be ringing samaritans before dessert. The mam is treating the idiot dad like he is invisible. It's a terrible ad shows nothing positive whatsoever and looks like primary school kids designed the set and little elf figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

GCIREL wrote: »
    I know it's been mentioned before but that elf lidl ad. It's pathetic. The ad actually is so ridiculous. The dad looks like he'll be ringing samaritans before dessert. The mam is treating the idiot dad like he is invisible. It's a terrible ad shows nothing positive whatsoever and looks like primary school kids designed the set and little elf figures.

It looks like an failed ad for LSD.

I said this somewhere else, but it's not helped by the fact the Dad killed Donna Burke in Red Rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I said this somewhere else, but it's not helped by the fact the Dad killed Donna Burke in Red Rock.

The other guy from Red Rock is in the TAM Ireland add, Filing cabinet etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Somebody actually watched red rock? I tried an episode but God it was dreadful..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Somebody actually watched red rock? I tried an episode but God it was dreadful..

Wasn't that bad.

I for one loved it.

Can't have been that bad if Amazon bought the rights to it.

Haha and he was a dick in Dublin murders! Couldn't take him seriously as an actor after seeing that ad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im hating the lidl xmas advert, if i have somehow seen the advert during the week, my next visit is to the Aldi across the road

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is that Vodafone ad with the old lad diving into the water supposed to make us all weep and video call people abroad. Another ****e Vodafone ad

Fairly popular with some people I know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

No, the donegal catch ad I actually like. This is the 'I'm TV advertising' ad where a little annoyance tries to imitate some of the popular ads over the years. He ruins them all!

Just saw it a while ago. Awful, he reminds me of that "nice ghost" twerp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

The Guinness Christmas ad.

Purely because my old boss is the lad that says "Don't forget to turn the lights out"

His voice gives me shivers every time I hear it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

A certain feelgood song made popular in the Blues Brothers has forever been ruined for me by a certain online retailer that treats its employees very badly.

Whenever I hear it now, I feel the Hate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

lertsnim wrote: »
    Is that Vodafone ad with the old lad diving into the water supposed to make us all weep and video call people abroad. Another ****e Vodafone ad

If he puts his phone in that pouch the camera won't be pointing in a way that you could see him - it would be either pointing away from him or at his stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

tedpan wrote: »
    The Guinness Christmas ad.

Purely because my old boss is the lad that says "Don't forget to turn the lights out"

His voice gives me shivers every time I hear it..
    Would you prefer to go back to the Japanese rugby players?:D
    That's a Christmas keeper in my eyes. More so then the Coca Cola Holidays are coming

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

To encourage companies to prop up RTEs declining revenue by having their ads on tv.

I noticed that ad and thought to myself when do you ever see advertisers actually advertising themselves. RTE must be really desperate for cash if they are putting ads on like that which are aimed at what, maybe less than 200 people whose job it is to commission TV ads?

Yeah thats their whole scam, they try to convince people that they are an offical mint and that the coins have some sort of intrinsic value when they're not worth a jot.Insert a few phrases like 'limited edition' and 'dont miss this amazing opportunity' and the scam is complete. The UK has a burgeoning industry along those lines with commemorative medals with royal figures on them and Id guess there are some links with Dublin Mint back to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I noticed that ad and thought to myself when do you ever see advertisers actually advertising themselves.

Well these ran on UK TV a few years ago.

and

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

lertsnim wrote: »

I'll always prefer ads like that silly Lidl one, even if it is a bit irritating, than these bloody you won't believe they're actually actors Barry's Tea type ads that try so hard to get to the heart of the Irish family.

At least they didn't have someone write a poem for it like the annoying Aviva ad which is another favourite with advertisers and RTE etc for the start of major sporting events on TV. And it's so bloody lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

All these sentimental christmas ads, with the theme of people coming home/not coming for Christmas have reached saturation point. Two current ones that spring to mind are the 3 ad (I think) where your one is skyping her family back home because she has a little baby and can't make it, and the fella "skinny-dipping" while on the phone to who I assume is his grand-daughter.

The Irish have been emigrating for generations- why is it such a big deal now? And besides, never have we been more connected than now with technology. I nearly hear more local news off my brother abroad than from anyone else! What about those who emigrated maybe fifty years ago and never touched back to home ever again?

Totes emosh Over-sentimental bull****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bah humbug. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That Amazon 'Somebody To Love' abomination is driving me spare these days. Hopefully it'll be gone by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That Amazon 'Somebody To Love' abomination is driving me spare these days. Hopefully it'll be gone by Christmas.

I was hoping it would be gone after Black Friday but no :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That Doireann Project ad doesn't encourage me to tune in at all, it looks sh1t.

Advertisement