Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

eh in the mid 80s there was no such thing as christmas jumpers, that was just what kids jumpers actually looked like. funny enough there were no hoodies until mid 90s. anyone in a hoody was usually training for olympic athletics or boxers in a gym

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Dickie10 wrote: »
    eh in the mid 80s there was no such thing as christmas jumpers, that was just what kids jumpers actually looked like. funny enough there were no hoodies until mid 90s. anyone in a hoody was usually training for olympic athletics or boxers in a gym

Apparently they may have been recording that when news came thru of Gay's passing.

(at least that's what I remember from when RTE reported Gay Byrne's death, and spoke to Ryan).

So it makes it more morbid.

Well, Ireland was a different place-no such thing as central heating. So heavy jumpers all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well, Ireland was a different place-no such thing as central heating. So heavy jumpers all around.

What? Where were you living? Crap ad particularly the part with Tubrity in it, fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The TV advertising ad, an ad about ads, with a smug prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Peloton advert. I cannot stand that guys accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

That horrible ad for say no to treats ahhhhh little scumbag looking young fella begging for a packet of taytos. I want to give him a kick so far up his arse he can never chew again. Hate that ad so much

That brat is in Fair City.... jesus, that advert's so bloody cheap looking too.

And the chest with 'Uncle Gaybo' written on it....why would a family have a treasure chest with 'Uncle Gaybo' written on it?

It's morbid as hell.

It's like something that was sketched out in 2 minutes on the back of a fag box.

:mad:

Ah stop my face is dissolving looking at that cringefest. Awful fúckin tripe altogether.

He was in Red Rock if i recall. The level of advertising is gone to pot. Talk about in your face, low intellect, tacky, cheesy scutter.

EDIT: pun not intended with the cheese bit :pac:

Dickie10 wrote: »

Id imagine hoodies probably became street wear with the rise of rap from New York in the mid to late 80s (Run DMC, etc)??? Im theorising and asking this out of curiosity really as opposed to it being based on any fact.

The Christmas jumper thing seems to be a recent thing driven heavily by social media. Around 13/14 it reached peak ad nauseaum as it was impossible to avoid a bunch of clowns bedecked in Christmas jumpers as they did the 12 pubs nonsense. It was probably around long before that but it would take a brave man or woman to wear one prior.

• Advertisement

GCIREL wrote: »
    That horrible ad for say no to treats ahhhhh little scumbag looking young fella begging for a packet of taytos. I want to give him a kick so far up his arse he can never chew again. Hate that ad so much

The end of the ad where she's like 'you can only have cheese and crackers if you're hungry'...

Isn't cheese banned from being advertised after 6pm because it's labelled a junk food?

Or for a long time, it was. The whole end of the ad is like 'swap one junk food for another junk food'.

The end of the ad where she's like 'you can only have cheese and crackers if you're hungry'...

Isn't cheese banned from being advertised after 6pm because it's labelled a junk food?

Or for a long time, it was. The whole end of the ad is like 'swap one junk food for another junk food'.

100% agree! The proud head on the mam then like she solved world peace when all she has done is give that little scroat extra snack items....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Id imagine hoodies probably became street wear with the rise of rap from New York in the mid to late 80s (Run DMC, etc)??? Im theorising and asking this out of curiosity really as opposed to it being based on any fact.

The Christmas jumper thing seems to be a recent thing driven heavily by social media. Around 13/14 it reached peak ad nauseaum as it was impossible to avoid a bunch of clowns bedecked in Christmas jumpers as they did the 12 pubs nonsense. It was probably around long before that but it would take a brave man or woman to wear one prior.

Hoodies were definitely around in the 80's - As you mentioned Rap, then 'Aciiiid' and 'Madchester' baggy scene. Different style of hoody sometimes, but they were almost everywhere.

Christmas jumpers were around for a long time. Either they were knitted by a Grandmother or relative and became hand me downs (before the era of 'disposable' clothes :() or they people wearing them as a tongue-in-cheek jumper.

But both were very much around during my childhood and teens.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Came here to post about the perfume adverts.
    Christ. I am not sure if I despise them, but they are horrendously shit. Cringeworthy.
    The one with the girl on horseback running up the steps, through the town and up on to a cliff and holding the bottle of perfume up.
    Charlize Theron walking over a puddle "J'Adore".
    And the worst one of all is Johnny Depp, for some reason digging up a pile of sand with eye liner under his eyes and says "Something I can't see...'Sauvage'.."

Suckit wrote: »
    Hoodies were definitely around in the 80's - As you mentioned Rap, then 'Aciiiid' and 'Madchester' baggy scene. Different style of hoody sometimes, but they were almost everywhere.

Christmas jumpers were around for a long time. Either they were knitted by a Grandmother or relative and became hand me downs (before the era of 'disposable' clothes :() or they people wearing them as a tongue-in-cheek jumper.

But both were very much around during my childhood and teens.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Came here to post about the perfume adverts.
    Christ. I am not sure if I despise them, but they are horrendously shit. Cringeworthy.
    The one with the girl on horseback running up the steps, through the town and up on to a cliff and holding the bottle of perfume up.
    Charlize Theron walking over a puddle "J'Adore".
    And the worst one of all is Johnny Depp, for some reason digging up a pile of sand with eye liner under his eyes and says "Something I can't see...'Sauvage'.."

That's Zendaya-kind of one of those 'hot s**t' kinda actresses at the moment-but not really done anything of note.

As for perfume adverts.... I think Lee Mack said it best. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

The 3 Ireland Christmas ad....FaceTime on a big screen between members of a family at opposite sides of the world,with half of them bawling....something upsetting rather than happy about it I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I know it's a good cause n all but that Ad with the kids with the deformed mouths is bloody disgusting, tryin to ate de Sunday dinner after a few half ones last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

That Johnny Depp one is hilarious. It's like something you'd expect to see Derek Zoolander in.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I know it's a good cause n all but that Ad with the kids with the deformed mouths is bloody disgusting, tryin to ate de Sunday dinner after a few half ones last night...

You haven't seen the one with Nadia Forde talking about baby poo....

RTE showed it 5 times one morning... during breakfast time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You haven't seen the one with Nadia Forde talking about baby poo....

RTE showed it 5 times one morning... during breakfast time.

Thanks for the warning..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PgTjhx1VLw

this advert is totally has inappropriate behaviour for children characters. Skeletor and Heman can't be gay lovers because Skeletor is Heman's uncle.

• Advertisement

What is the point of that ad?

He's such a gowl. I hate how he does the accent for the fishermen (filinggg cabinettee) I'm embarrassed on his behalf. The mind boggles! People in an office somewhere all agreed that ad was brilliant and prob got bonuses

The Dublin Mint ad, I'm surprised a high profile artist like Jim Fitzpatrick got involved with this elaborate data collection scam.

Coin is "free" but not free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

The Peloton advert. I cannot stand that guys accent.

The previous one’s catchphrase “You’ve smashed it!” became a euphemism for a green fog stink out in my house

What is the point of that ad?

To encourage companies to prop up RTEs declining revenue by having their ads on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The Dublin Mint ad, I'm surprised a high profile artist like Jim Fitzpatrick got involved with this elaborate data collection scam.

He's quite modest too "I'm delighted to offer my iconic masterpiece to the public" sez he

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm going to murder someone if I hear the Smyth's if i was a toy ad again

I posted somewhere, maybe here about the Dublin mint. I signed up for the free Michael Collins coin. They sent me four other coins too and then sent me threatening letters for not paying for them, and rang me in work to ask if i wanted to put a deposit down for the 450 euro gold coin.

Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Any motor ad which suggests that SUV's of any kind are driven on mucky roads/tracks or mountain roads, in short anywhere that's off road. That's not where they are driven in Ireland so they need to make the ads more specific to our Irish driving styles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

GCIREL wrote: »
    He's such a gowl. I hate how he does the accent for the fishermen (filinggg cabinettee) I'm embarrassed on his behalf. The mind boggles! People in an office somewhere all agreed that ad was brilliant and prob got bonuses

The Donegal Catch ad?

Advertisement