Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Everyday Racism"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Calls for an end to direct provision, repeal of the 27th amendment (anchor babies) ,a 90 day asylum process and full welfare entitlements including hap payments for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Calls for an end to direct provision, repeal of the 27th amendment (anchor babies) ,a 90 day asylum process and full welfare entitlements including hap payments

Ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2020/0601/1143769-4-books-to-read-to-be-a-better-white-ally/

"One of the most damaging things about white privilege is that those who benefit from it often have a limited understanding of its existence. Me and White Supremacy educates readers on how to recognise and counter the privilege within themselves so that they can correct unconsciously damaging behaviours and help other white people to do better too.

Filled with practical exercises, this is a go-to resource for anyone who wants to confront racial prejudices within themselves and have the right tools, language and knowledge join the fight."

Nothing about "children having it being drummed into their heads that they're bad people just because they're white?"

You're just reading in to it what suits your agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Odhinn wrote: »
    Nothing about "children having it being drummed into their heads that they're bad people just because they're white?"

If its taught in schools then yes it is being drummed into their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's the Irish State Broadcaster preaching to Irish people that they need to "recognise and counter the privilege within themselves so that they can correct unconsciously damaging behaviours and help other white people to do better too".

This argument takes as its starting point the position that we, as white Irish people, are privileged, unconsciously racist and need to do better; in other words that we're bad.

If you're old enough to remember what this country was like when the Church ran the show you should be able to recognise the parallels with original sin and penance to keep people in line.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    If its taught in schools then yes it is being drummed into their heads.

We've yet to see any evidence of that, as the "bad = white" thing seems to be a bizarre and highly hostile reading of a few books.

It would also help if you define what "schools" you are referring to - primary, secondary or third level

It's the Irish State Broadcaster preaching to Irish people that they need to "recognise and counter the privilege within themselves so that they can correct unconsciously damaging behaviours and help other white people to do better too".

This argument takes as its starting point the position that we, as white Irish people, are privileged, unconsciously racist and need to do better; in other words that we're bad.

If you're old to remember what this country was like when the Church ran the show you should be able to recognise the parallels with original sin and penance to keep people in line.

Keep people in line with what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

If you're old enough to remember what this country was like when the Church ran the show you should be able to recognise the parallels with original sin and penance to keep people in line.

Well let's all be bad and stop paying the license fee altogther. Let them get the €160 off their precious "New irish" and let's see how they fare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Keep people in line with what?

You asked for an example. I gave you an example and Geuze gave you another one. I then explained the example to you when you acted obtuse.

You're arguing in bad faith so I'm not going to waste any more time on you.

You asked for an example. I gave you an example and Geuze gave you another one. I then explained the example to you when you acted obtuse.

You're arguing in bad faith so I'm not going to waste any more time on you.

Yes, I disputed your interpretation of the books, however you then stated
    that the purpose of these books are to keep people in line. It's only logical, therefore, for me to ask you what you think that "line" is.

Y'know, you'd be forgiven for thinking Boards is an American site if you went by threads like this. Who in the **** in this country is "drumming into the heads" of kids that they're bad because they're white? Seriously, go outside and talk to some real Irish people.

How so? One poster made the comment. It wasn't echoed or liked by the other regular posters in the thread.

And you're right... boards could be mistaken for an American site, rather because of comments like your own. The dismissal of a thread simply by seizing on a single post to represent the whole. I haven't seen you refute the more logical and better written posts on the thread.. just easier to pluck out something minor to deal with. Perhaps pick something that received a lot of likes, and then argue against it?

Calls for an end to direct provision, repeal of the 27th amendment (anchor babies) ,a 90 day asylum process and full welfare entitlements including hap payments for all

The thread is about racism. Not the asylum process, DP or Welfare.

Successfully connect racism to them, sure, go ahead, but nobody has so far. Can we stick to the thread topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What do we expect now with our children having it being drummed into their heads that they're bad people just because they're white?

Invented victimhood complex raises its head again.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

cian68 wrote: »
    It's not a cold truth though is it? You've made it up

They’ve the largest unemployment rate in the state.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009164-esri_migrants/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

DelaneyIn wrote: »

is that because of racism or the cause of racism do you think ?

Well let's all be bad and stop paying the license fee altogther. Let them get the €160 off their precious "New irish" and let's see how they fare.

Poles don't pay the tv licence?

Der Local wrote: »
    Which books should I read to make me a better racist?

doesn't matter ,
    if your white you a racist ,
    if you don't agree exactly with whatever crowing self enriching political publicity whore your already too racist

The Irish Times did the same. Several interviews with African-Irish who described racism permeating Irish society, without giving any examples or being challenged to do so, one even described "silent racism" whereby she encounters no racist sentiment but just knows it's there.

I sympathise with any of them who did encounter genuine racism in Ireland but considering we gave their families a home here, along with plenty of social supports paid for by Irish people's hard work, it would be nice if they returned the favour by not breaking the lockdown en masse to spread Coronavirus. This last issue was something else the Irish Times ignored, along with most media. It seems Gemma and John's small gang of nutters protesting is a travesty but thousands protesting about something 3,000 miles away is A-OK.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/frustrated-and-angry-thousands-march-in-dublin-to-protest-death-of-george-floyd-1.4268066

The vast majority of Africans got here via the asylum swindle. Over 30k got leave to remain after the citizenship referendum.

They have the highest unemployment rate in the state. If Intreo have a non building sector course running, you know a large number of those in attendance will be African.

We house them, provide them with healthcare, free education, welfare and very generous child benefit payments. The likes of which would seem like a lottery win back home.

Never once have we been thanked. If there were justice, most, or their parents would have been deported within a few months of their asylum application.

Instead we are labelled as the rebirth of Nazi Germany. I’m starting to slowly realise that no matter what we do, we are on a hiding to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭b.e.s.s.

statesaver wrote: »
    Only white countries of course, bruh :rolleyes:
    Sorry. I know the topic is racism, but isn't your very own statement has a hint of racism? I mean, I don't get it what do you mean when you say "white countries"? Cheers

b.e.s.s. wrote: »
    Sorry. I know the topic is racism, but isn't your very own statement has a hint of racism? I mean, I don't get it what do you mean when you say "white countries"? Cheers

European countries. Countries where the native people are white.

This is basic stuff. If he said black countries, you’d know well he meant African countries.

European countries. Countries where the native people are white.

What about people who are born and bred in these countries but are not white?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

mynamejeff wrote: »
    if your white you a racist
    Invented victimhood complex yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The thread is about racism. Not the asylum process, DP or Welfare.

Successfully connect racism to them, sure, go ahead, but nobody has so far. Can we stick to the thread topic?

People who disagree are being branded racist by the Twitter lefties .

Do you agree with it or racist? You only get to say yes or no. That's how it works

People who disagree are being branded racist by the Twitter lefties .

Do you agree with it or racist? You only get to say yes or no. That's how it works

Then don't base any degree of value regarding what's said on Twitter. I don't. I won't ever post any links to twitter messages or stories, because I know that it attracts the most toxic of attitudes. It's a social media platform rife with extremist ideas. People who feed off each others misery and encourages an echo chamber of nastiness. There's no room for discussion or the changing of people's beliefs there.

Just ignore twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A black guy in Salthill recorded a video when the Gardai were arresting one of the little scrotes for being involved in the fight there yesterday claiming it was like the cops in America using excessive force.

I pity the Guards these days having to put up with gobsh1tes with smartphones as they try to do their job.

He was on Galway Bay FM this morning eating a large piece of humble pie, someone must have told him over the last 2 days how idiotic he was because I doubt he copped it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

b.e.s.s. wrote: »

I think his statement was meant with irony. It's often the progressives that espouse that only white people can be racist. Open to correction but I believe that statement was meant tongue-in-cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I feel that this current issue in the USA is warranted but a few things bug me.

I am not racist.

1. All lives matter, shouldn’t be focused upon one race
    2. What happened in Dublin yesterday is a joke, can we focused on issues that affect Ireland like Health and Homelessness and have a protest rather than something in another country.
    3. There are videos being shared on social media by kids of African American descent portraying guards as being bad ass and heavy handed, and yet I never see any other race like Chinese or Eastern European doing this,I feel that this is an area that is be exploited and an dangerous precedent.

I also find that many people are cautious and are afraid to speak out without being targeted.

This is all about everyone, not just one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

If 16% are unemployed, and 45 percent are working, what is the status of the other 39%

Virtually none are elderly, and children can't make up all of them, most of them are probably Irish citizens.

I feel that this current issue in the USA is warranted but a few things bug me.

I am not racist.

1. All lives matter, shouldn’t be focused upon one race
    2. What happened in Dublin yesterday is a joke, can we focused on issues that affect Ireland like Health and Homelessness and have a protest rather than something in another country.
    3. There are videos being shared on social media by kids of African American descent portraying guards as being bad ass and heavy handed, and yet I never see any other race like Chinese or Eastern European doing this,I feel that this is an area that is be exploited and an dangerous precedent.

I also find that many people are cautious and are afraid to speak out without being targeted.

And the same thing happened to a white man in 2016. Killed by a cop pinning him to the ground.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/31/you-re-gonna-kill-me-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-the-final-minutes-of-tony-timpa-s-life/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

A few months ago, a garda had his head stamped on during an altercation with a large group of African origin young people who were causing mayhem in Drogheda.

"I f**king love my young drillers. Good enough for em f**ing pigs. Fckkkkk these guys are dumb. They done skiddy bop on the pigs head”

Has Ellie anything to say about these vulnerable young souls?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4427353/footage-garda-beaten-teenage-drogheda/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

1. All lives matter

No one has said they don't. The point is that in the US, it's become quite clear that black people's lives matter less than others.
    shouldn’t be focused upon one race

When one race is disproportionately murdered by US police, it should be.

No one's stopping you and your cohorts protesting whatever you want, you know. Off you go.

"I've never seen it therefore it doesn't exist." What a bizarre and stupid point.

He says, after speaking out in a thread full of people speaking out that shouts down anyone daring to raise an opinion that differs. :pac:

You're right, it isn't about one, it's about the systematic targeting of black people in the US by its police forces.

Anyone can point to instances of white people in the US being killed but they're far and away less common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

... it's about the systematic targeting of black people in the US by its police forces.

Is that what you meant to say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭gw80

I dont know,
    Has anyone stopped to think for a minute that maybe multiculturism just doesnt work,
    I mean, they say its a great thing but if it was such a good thing then why is it so hard to make it work?
    Laws have to be made, and punishments dished out .
    And it seems that white europeans seem to be the only race of people who want to promote the dilution of their race, the chinese have no interest, the japanese, asians, africans, middle easterns, none of them have any interest in multiculturism, but europeans cant seem to disolve their ethnicity fast enought,
    Funny that.

• Advertisement

You're right, it isn't about one, it's about the systematic targeting of black people in the US by its police forces.

Anyone can point to instances of white people in the US being killed but they're far and away less common.
    Seriously? The guy was a criminal under arrest for committing a crime. That is not systematic targeting of black people. Ot in no way justifys killing the man. Cop will be tried for murder, same as if he killed a white man.

See the link above where the same thing happened to a white man, suffocated while pinned to the ground.

It's the mere fact that it was a black man that makes it different that doesnt sit right.

Bernardsloop, u need to get on social video and see the videos that are happening in Ireland or do you want to be all talk for a specific cause and not for everyone....pathetic response

No point responding and detailing every point

Re white person killed by police

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/31/you-re-gonna-kill-me-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-the-final-minutes-of-tony-timpa-s-life/

Tell me, have you thought about the surpressed people in Burma ?
    Native Americans ?
    Hong Kong ?

Didn’t think so......you need to think of every person in society, otherwise, I would consider you to be racist

The other thing that doesnt sit right is the solution is to discriminate against white people. For example a percentage of college places are given to black people. That's a person of another ethnicity be it white, Hispanic, Asian whatever doesnt get a place in college because of their race. They have to give their place to someone merely because they are black.

Black people are entitled and justified to protest. But white people and business owners being looted are entitled to defend themselves without being called racist. White Cops are entitled to beat the **** out of black thugs without being called a racist. They are entitled to shoot a black person dead without being called a racist. A white person is entitled to criticise a black person without being called a racist. I am entitled to oppose immigration without being called a racist.

This whole "woke" movement is an absolute joke and deserves to be ridiculed.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The other thing that doesnt sit right is the solution is to discriminate against white people. For example a percentage of college places are given to black people. That's a person of another ethnicity be it white, Hispanic, Asian whatever doesnt get a place in college because of their race. They have to give their place to someone merely because they are black.

Black people are entitled and justified to protest. But white people and business owners being looted are entitled to defend themselves without being called racist. White Cops are entitled to beat the **** out of black thugs without being called a racist. They are entitled to shoot a black person dead without being called a racist. A white person is entitled to criticise a black person without being called a racist. I am entitled to oppose immigration without being called a racist.

This whole "woke" movement is an absolute joke and deserves to be ridiculed.

Just like I am entitled to take the above post and conclude that you are a racist.

Cops can just shoot at unarmed black men and women willy nilly can they? That’s part of the problem.

All lives matter, but how are they going to matter when it’s blatantly clear that black lives aren’t on the same pedestal as others?

The problem with Ireland isn’t that it’s blatantly racist, the racists take the guise of concerned citizens who are peacefully trying to raise a point of discussion, and those same people will argue a toss instead of actually discussing in good faith.

why don’t we protest for

Rohingya Muslims in Burma
    Russian occupancy of Ukraine region
    Hong Kong people being suppressed by China
    Catholics in Northern Ireland occupied by UK

Christ, there’s a long list, #alllivesmatter

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

why don’t we protest for

Rohingya Muslims in Burma
    Russian occupancy of Ukraine region
    Hong Kong people being suppressed by China
    Catholics in Northern Ireland occupied by UK

Christ, there’s a long list, #alllivesmatter

Off you go then.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Just like I am entitled to take the above post and conclude that you are a racist.

Cops can just shoot at unarmed black men and women willy nilly can they? That’s part of the problem.

All lives matter, but how are they going to matter when it’s blatantly clear that black lives aren’t on the same pedestal as others?

The problem with Ireland isn’t that it’s blatantly racist, the racists take the guise of concerned citizens who are peacefully trying to raise a point of discussion, and those same people will argue a toss instead of actually discussing in good faith.
    No you're not, that's my point. You cant just give yourself the right to label someone a racist. Racism is actually a crime and needs to be proven. Everyone can read my post and your interpretation and see they are clearly not the same. I didn't actually post what you say I post so your accusation against.me is actually a lie. You're lying and making me out to be racist when I'm not. You're a sad pathetic fool.

No one has said they don't. The point is that in the US, it's become quite clear that black people's lives matter less than others.

It could be argued that their lives matter more than other minorities. Since the Hispanic community is also the recipient of policy brutality, but the Black community receives more media attention.
    When one race is disproportionately murdered by US police, it should be.

Questions of all types should be raised.

Black people are the recipients of more attention by the police due to population, culture, crime, and racism. While there is racism involved (in many cases), it's not helping anyone to ignore that Black groups, especially those involved in gangs, place themselves in dangerous positions. Your objection is simply lumping all deaths together without consideration of the context, and the actions of those involved.

The US needs reform. But not just with the Police, but also the cultural frameworks that currently exist for everyone. Everyone.. because then, it won't be a matter of racism anymore, but about creating an equal society. Not boosting one group over another due to pressure or guilt.
    He says, after speaking out in a thread full of people speaking out that shouts down anyone daring to raise an opinion that differs. :pac:

It's a discussion board, so people come here expecting to find differing opinions. And very few posters on this thread have been shouted down... their arguments might have been demolished but that's a different thing entirely.

Floyd was targeted for using counterfeit money or because he was black? It was the shopkeeper who reported him.. so.. was the shopkeeper racist too then? The police were racist for responding to the shopkeepers call?

Or simply that he broke the law, and his race wasn't an issue until the arrest and the subsequent murder? And yes, I do think it was murder.. at the same time though, I'm not interested in whitewashing what led up to it.

Mix of years: https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

2019: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/police-shootings-2019/

Care to revise your statement, or do you have some better links to prove your assertion? I've found a variety of sites. Different numbers, but all of them have a higher number of whites being killed by police, than black people killed by police.

Off you go then.

Lol, my comment was those who were protesting yesterday and those who are planning for Galway ?

you seem to be concluding that anyone that doesn't 100 percent agree with you is a racist. lot of that going on here .

the vast majority of police shootings in the US result in large scale investigations usually resulting in prosecutions. even where it was proven to be a legal shooting the innocent cop ends up destroyed , ie mike brown

again the huge amount of black on black murders and lack of cooperation with police results in a lower rate of convictions .

So... in your opinion, am I racist for discussing this issue on boards? Am I arguing in good faith?

I'll just assume you've managed to read some of my posts to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mynamejeff wrote: »
    you seem to be concluding that anyone that doesn't 100 percent agree with you is a racist. lot of that going on here .

the vast majority of police shootings in the US result in large scale investigations usually resulting in prosecutions. even where it was proven to be a legal shooting the innocent cop ends up destroyed , ie mike brown

again the huge amount of black on black murders and lack of cooperation with police results in a lower rate of convictions .

+1 , US police kill more white people every year, in proportionality to the amount of black people they kill when weighted against poverty. America has a problem with poor people committing crime and police killing them, not based on race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think we need to stop the zero sum bull****, condemn racism in all its forms. We need to start calling out those who look to pit one side against the other and call them on it, we should also call out those who use the current situation to get away with bad behavior.

It shouldn't be a case of someone wins and someone looses we should all win. We have to get to a position of compromise and mutual understanding for that to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

If 16% are unemployed, and 45 percent are working, what is the status of the other 39%

Virtually none are elderly, and children can't make up all of them, most of them are probably Irish citizens.

Disability allowance is where it's at, jobs seekers allowance and sent off on some stupid course or else 20hrs on some Mickey mouse scheme is for suckers.

+1 , US police kill more white people every year, in proportionality to the amount of black people they kill when weighted against poverty. America has a problem with poor people committing crime and police killing them, not based on race.

ahhh... nah... race is definitely a factor for some. For others, it's the circumstances of the cases.

This is the problem really. Assigning an absolute to it. That everything was correct, or that everything was racist.

Truth is, there's both. Responsibility for the current situation needs to be shared among the Police, the various governors/administrations, and the minority populations. There's a lot of enabling of crime going on in the States. It's been that way for decades... but so too has there been a lot of mismanagement or discrimination against Minority communities with investment being drawn away from them...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement