Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Calls for an end to direct provision, repeal of the 27th amendment (anchor babies) ,a 90 day asylum process and full welfare entitlements including hap payments for all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Calls for an end to direct provision, repeal of the 27th amendment (anchor babies) ,a 90 day asylum process and full welfare entitlements including hap payments

Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭Odhinn

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2020/0601/1143769-4-books-to-read-to-be-a-better-white-ally/

"One of the most damaging things about white privilege is that those who benefit from it often have a limited understanding of its existence. Me and White Supremacy educates readers on how to recognise and counter the privilege within themselves so that they can correct unconsciously damaging behaviours and help other white people to do better too.

Filled with practical exercises, this is a go-to resource for anyone who wants to confront racial prejudices within themselves and have the right tools, language and knowledge join the fight."

Nothing about "children having it being drummed into their heads that they're bad people just because they're white?"

You're just reading in to it what suits your agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Odhinn wrote: »
    Nothing about "children having it being drummed into their heads that they're bad people just because they're white?"

If its taught in schools then yes it is being drummed into their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's the Irish State Broadcaster preaching to Irish people that they need to "recognise and counter the privilege within themselves so that they can correct unconsciously damaging behaviours and help other white people to do better too".

This argument takes as its starting point the position that we, as white Irish people, are privileged, unconsciously racist and need to do better; in other words that we're bad.

If you're old enough to remember what this country was like when the Church ran the show you should be able to recognise the parallels with original sin and penance to keep people in line.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    If its taught in schools then yes it is being drummed into their heads.

We've yet to see any evidence of that, as the "bad = white" thing seems to be a bizarre and highly hostile reading of a few books.

It would also help if you define what "schools" you are referring to - primary, secondary or third level

It's the Irish State Broadcaster preaching to Irish people that they need to "recognise and counter the privilege within themselves so that they can correct unconsciously damaging behaviours and help other white people to do better too".

This argument takes as its starting point the position that we, as white Irish people, are privileged, unconsciously racist and need to do better; in other words that we're bad.

If you're old to remember what this country was like when the Church ran the show you should be able to recognise the parallels with original sin and penance to keep people in line.

Keep people in line with what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

If you're old enough to remember what this country was like when the Church ran the show you should be able to recognise the parallels with original sin and penance to keep people in line.

Well let's all be bad and stop paying the license fee altogther. Let them get the €160 off their precious "New irish" and let's see how they fare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Keep people in line with what?

You asked for an example. I gave you an example and Geuze gave you another one. I then explained the example to you when you acted obtuse.

You're arguing in bad faith so I'm not going to waste any more time on you.

You asked for an example. I gave you an example and Geuze gave you another one. I then explained the example to you when you acted obtuse.

You're arguing in bad faith so I'm not going to waste any more time on you.

Yes, I disputed your interpretation of the books, however you then stated
    that the purpose of these books are to keep people in line. It's only logical, therefore, for me to ask you what you think that "line" is.

Y'know, you'd be forgiven for thinking Boards is an American site if you went by threads like this. Who in the **** in this country is "drumming into the heads" of kids that they're bad because they're white? Seriously, go outside and talk to some real Irish people.

How so? One poster made the comment. It wasn't echoed or liked by the other regular posters in the thread.

And you're right... boards could be mistaken for an American site, rather because of comments like your own. The dismissal of a thread simply by seizing on a single post to represent the whole. I haven't seen you refute the more logical and better written posts on the thread.. just easier to pluck out something minor to deal with. Perhaps pick something that received a lot of likes, and then argue against it?

Calls for an end to direct provision, repeal of the 27th amendment (anchor babies) ,a 90 day asylum process and full welfare entitlements including hap payments for all

The thread is about racism. Not the asylum process, DP or Welfare.

Successfully connect racism to them, sure, go ahead, but nobody has so far. Can we stick to the thread topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What do we expect now with our children having it being drummed into their heads that they're bad people just because they're white?

Invented victimhood complex raises its head again.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

cian68 wrote: »
    It's not a cold truth though is it? You've made it up

They’ve the largest unemployment rate in the state.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009164-esri_migrants/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

DelaneyIn wrote: »

is that because of racism or the cause of racism do you think ?

Well let's all be bad and stop paying the license fee altogther. Let them get the €160 off their precious "New irish" and let's see how they fare.

Poles don't pay the tv licence?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Der Local wrote: »
    Which books should I read to make me a better racist?

doesn't matter ,
    if your white you a racist ,
    if you don't agree exactly with whatever crowing self enriching political publicity whore your already too racist

The Irish Times did the same. Several interviews with African-Irish who described racism permeating Irish society, without giving any examples or being challenged to do so, one even described "silent racism" whereby she encounters no racist sentiment but just knows it's there.

I sympathise with any of them who did encounter genuine racism in Ireland but considering we gave their families a home here, along with plenty of social supports paid for by Irish people's hard work, it would be nice if they returned the favour by not breaking the lockdown en masse to spread Coronavirus. This last issue was something else the Irish Times ignored, along with most media. It seems Gemma and John's small gang of nutters protesting is a travesty but thousands protesting about something 3,000 miles away is A-OK.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/frustrated-and-angry-thousands-march-in-dublin-to-protest-death-of-george-floyd-1.4268066

The vast majority of Africans got here via the asylum swindle. Over 30k got leave to remain after the citizenship referendum.

They have the highest unemployment rate in the state. If Intreo have a non building sector course running, you know a large number of those in attendance will be African.

We house them, provide them with healthcare, free education, welfare and very generous child benefit payments. The likes of which would seem like a lottery win back home.

Never once have we been thanked. If there were justice, most, or their parents would have been deported within a few months of their asylum application.

Instead we are labelled as the rebirth of Nazi Germany. I’m starting to slowly realise that no matter what we do, we are on a hiding to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭b.e.s.s.

statesaver wrote: »
    Only white countries of course, bruh :rolleyes:
    Sorry. I know the topic is racism, but isn't your very own statement has a hint of racism? I mean, I don't get it what do you mean when you say "white countries"? Cheers

b.e.s.s. wrote: »
    Sorry. I know the topic is racism, but isn't your very own statement has a hint of racism? I mean, I don't get it what do you mean when you say "white countries"? Cheers

European countries. Countries where the native people are white.

This is basic stuff. If he said black countries, you’d know well he meant African countries.

European countries. Countries where the native people are white.

What about people who are born and bred in these countries but are not white?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

mynamejeff wrote: »
    if your white you a racist
    Invented victimhood complex yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The thread is about racism. Not the asylum process, DP or Welfare.

Successfully connect racism to them, sure, go ahead, but nobody has so far. Can we stick to the thread topic?

People who disagree are being branded racist by the Twitter lefties .

Do you agree with it or racist? You only get to say yes or no. That's how it works

People who disagree are being branded racist by the Twitter lefties .

Do you agree with it or racist? You only get to say yes or no. That's how it works

Then don't base any degree of value regarding what's said on Twitter. I don't. I won't ever post any links to twitter messages or stories, because I know that it attracts the most toxic of attitudes. It's a social media platform rife with extremist ideas. People who feed off each others misery and encourages an echo chamber of nastiness. There's no room for discussion or the changing of people's beliefs there.

Just ignore twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A black guy in Salthill recorded a video when the Gardai were arresting one of the little scrotes for being involved in the fight there yesterday claiming it was like the cops in America using excessive force.

I pity the Guards these days having to put up with gobsh1tes with smartphones as they try to do their job.

He was on Galway Bay FM this morning eating a large piece of humble pie, someone must have told him over the last 2 days how idiotic he was because I doubt he copped it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

b.e.s.s. wrote: »

I think his statement was meant with irony. It's often the progressives that espouse that only white people can be racist. Open to correction but I believe that statement was meant tongue-in-cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I feel that this current issue in the USA is warranted but a few things bug me.

I am not racist.

1. All lives matter, shouldn’t be focused upon one race
    2. What happened in Dublin yesterday is a joke, can we focused on issues that affect Ireland like Health and Homelessness and have a protest rather than something in another country.
    3. There are videos being shared on social media by kids of African American descent portraying guards as being bad ass and heavy handed, and yet I never see any other race like Chinese or Eastern European doing this,I feel that this is an area that is be exploited and an dangerous precedent.

I also find that many people are cautious and are afraid to speak out without being targeted.

This is all about everyone, not just one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

If 16% are unemployed, and 45 percent are working, what is the status of the other 39%

Virtually none are elderly, and children can't make up all of them, most of them are probably Irish citizens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement