Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I have been slacking on this of late, was about to get my first chocobo :P. Need to get my ass back in as i want to play as a machinest class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The grinding needed to level other classes once the main quests are done is what made me stop playing this, it takes aaaaages :(

Anyway, might return for up coming expansion, i did like a lot of what the game had to offer. Just a bit too much of a grind if ya wanna level a different DPS :(

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It really doesn't, not compared to others. I'm levelling a MNK in WoW out of boredom and it'll take longer to do that than it will to eat your XP food, do your daily roulettes and maybe some leves in FFXIV. It is also infinitely faster if you're levelling a Tank or Healer (for obvious reasons) - I was very happy to spam dungeons. Faster still if you have collector edition items, faster if you're in a guild who keeps the XP buff applied, and faster again if you've got your Command Squad done up and are earning XP scrolls each week. It never took me long to level other classes in FFXIV once you get how it clicks, whereas in WoW you really do feel like paying for a boost would just save you hassle, and even then those last 10 levels feel like an eternity.

I found WoW more fluid though, you arent scrounging for quests in wow. I actually cant really remember what pissed me off in FF, i just remember that i was just doing the dungeon/raid dailies for the sick xp, and then anything else felt like a chore..

But yeah i had the wow leveling down to a fine art and with FF i had trouble absorbing everything, found myself asking what guildies likely deemed stupid questions a lot :D so yeah, likely right i just didnt know enough to make the leveling life simpler :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 icat

Hi I am new here,
    which server is recommend to play for Ireland people?
    ping fast and people speak English
    thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Started mucking about in this again myself. Quite nice that I just randomly signed in and it gave me 7 days free time.
    Created a new character and just grinding through. Hit 30 last night and finished the BLM quest. Gonna try keep it going this time as there is no other mmo that even remotely interests me out there right now.

• Advertisement

I love that you can do any class on one toon and the lore is fairly deep.

Additionally there are lots of filler activities like player housing ECT .

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

If you have Final Fantasy XIV: Starter Edition (Just "A Realm Reborn"), you can get the first Expansion, Heavensward for free (until June 27th 2019)

Note: The PC version is for the non-Steam version.

PC: https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/product/560319/final-fantasy-xiv-heavensward-free-edition-pc-download
    PS4: https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP0082-CUSA00285_00-C0EX010000000000

Finished up the base storyline and quests on Monday. Very enjoyable at the end. Although for BLM, one of those last fights is nuts.
    Didn't get a single chance to attack. Just spent the round dodging blue beams on the the ground while the rest of the raid did the dirty work for me :D

One thing for BLM in general - I could see a lot of people giving up on it before lvl 40. I almost did myself. But once you have Bliz III and Fire III, the class becomes really enjoyable and even moreso when you hit 50. Also the story is fantastic, if a little sad at the end.

Just about ready to move into Heavensward content now except the game has given me about 200 unlock quests for hard dungeons. Once I've cleared up the quest log I'll move into that.

Side note - I also ran into my first Hildibrand quest line... wtf was that. I honestly sat there with my mouth wide open for most of it. Frickin hilarious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I tried again to get through the leveling, but couldn't hack it. If i could skip those side quests, it would probably be fine, but i just can't resist accepting any and all quests in games...it's bloody annoying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'm usually the same, but for the most part, the MSQ and dungeons kept me occupied so I never needed the side quests. When I was stuck for a bit of experience, I just did the hunting log and finished out the Novice Trainer stuff. I dunno what quality of side quests there are. I never want to go back to levelling... It wasn't the best experience, and without an MSQ to entertain, I don't know how people do it.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I tried again to get through the leveling, but couldn't hack it. If i could skip those side quests, it would probably be fine, but i just can't resist accepting any and all quests in games...it's bloody annoying :pac:

I would advise leaving all side quests and just focus on the main quests, save the side quests for when you inevitably level another class. Unless of course you really enjoy doing them :pac:

But eh, story wise, i found the base game story pretty meh, Heavensward was quality though, stormblood is good too, i think most favor SB but i really digged HW..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Forgot to unsubscribe, so i guess i'll give it another go skipping the side quests :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Kiith wrote: »
    Forgot to unsubscribe, so i guess i'll give it another go skipping the side quests :P

It is way more engaging in almost all aspects once you get to Heavensward content. Good luck!

RopeDrink wrote: »
    If skipping side-quests annoys you, don't fret. Seeing as you can level all classes on one character, just think of it like 'saving them for your next class'. You're not really skipping them, just leaving them aside for when you need that XP :)

Pretty much this is what I've done. I'm 52 now and only doing the main quest line to get into Heavensward... which is taking forever due to the post main-story.. story.
    Also half leveling a tank every now and then for any side quests I've missed along the way.

I had to buy the bike from FF7 from the store the fact it plays music from the chase scene when your escaping midgar is amazing lol .

Nice i really have to start collecting mounts :), i bought a red mech thing as well that reminds me of the mechs from start of FF6.

Ok that video got me and i ended up buying Bennu also.

Was also checking out some of the fashion reddits and this caught my eye.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXIVGlamours/comments/bw4m1p/brd_the_scion_vigilante/

Just shows how cool the game can look.

One final question, any really decent questlines you guys would recommend?

There has been so much goodness from E3 I missed this , will check it out. I just love how they have done the AU world so much better than blizzard.

Finally back in a position to continue questing. I decided to change main to Bard.
    I like BLM but doing the level 50 trials has made me realise how much of a stationary glass cannon they are. While it's great fun in dungeons or general solo play, doing mid-high movement fights just gets annoying as you're having to cancel so many casts. At least when you suck like me :D

Swapped out to Bard and got it to 50 now so can finally continue on. Enjoying Bard also. Style of play is a bit more reactionary for procs rather than spamming the same combo.

Finally time to move into Heavensward.

• Advertisement

Check my link above I believe that's a hard. Looks amazing.

Yea even my level 50 gear has an amazing look to it. I'm enjoying the utility the class brings so definitely gonna stick with this for a bit.

Noxin wrote: »
    Yea even my level 50 gear has an amazing look to it. I'm enjoying the utility the class brings so definitely gonna stick with this for a bit.

Throw up a screenshot :)

Also its great that you can give something a go and move on to another class without creating a new one.

https://i.imgur.com/kBxEoxp.jpg

Considering it's a level 50 bow using a years old skin, it's still pretty savage looking when until then you've only been using little wooden pieces of crap :pac:

Looks really cool :)

Just finished up "The Keeper of The Lake" for the first time.
    THIS is exactly why I swapped from BLM to BRD. Frickin hell. That last fight, while incredibly fun, would have been a nightmare for BLM. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

BLM will likely get somewhat easier with the changes coming with shadowbringers next week, Healers on the other hand are really getting done in DPS wise with the gutting of the offensive actions down to 2-3 buttons expecially SCH, I hope they reverse on this as I expect a total inversion of Healers becoming hard to find instead of Tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Noxin wrote: »
    ....I like BLM but doing the level 50 trials has made me realise how much of a stationary glass cannon they are.....

BLM really improves from 60 - 70. You gain a lot of mobility abilities (e.g. triplecast) which helps immensely. Further changes in ShB will only enhance the job.

I have every job/class/crafter/gatherer at 70, and while I could inst-queue roulettes with a tank or healer, I still prefer to wait on my BLM. Theres nothing more satisfying that seeing those 45k+ Foul critical/direct hits. I tremble at the thought of doing the same with the new lvl80 nuke 'Xenoglossy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Aetherial Manipulation is incredibly useful - I have it macro'd to always zoom me over to the tank, which is particularly useful for donut type AOEs. Similarly Between the Lines is amazing, but really you don't see that many BLMs using the skills.

The worst thing about BLMs though is when you're tanking and pull a large group (e.g. Ghymlit Dark dungeon) and they single target cast Fire IV...... BLM's AOE rotation is probably the easiest in the game but it's also the most powerful.

• Advertisement

RIP Bard utility buffs :(

Advertisement