Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched the first episode. Enjoyed it. Will watch the next 2 today

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Watched the Swedish version of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, assume its the original film.

Really enjoyed it. I never seen the one with Daniel Craig in it so might give it a go after watching the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    I never seen the one with Daniel Craig in it so might give it a go after watching the original.

the rape scene in it is pretty horrific, is the swedish one graphic too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Watched the Swedish version of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, assume its the original film.

Really enjoyed it. I never seen the one with Daniel Craig in it so might give it a go after watching the original.

I thought the original was far better personally and I’m not much into the whole foreign cinema thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SilverangelA5

Ive been trying to watch episode 9 and 10 of "This is us" and keeping getting an error message.

Anyone any idea whats going on? Is this due to changes made to amazon after Brexit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ive been trying to watch episode 9 and 10 of "This is us" and keeping getting an error message.

Anyone any idea whats going on? Is this due to changes made to amazon after Brexit?

Brexit should be irrelevant unless you were of course signed up to UK Prime. Had a look there's 2 blocks of season 5 that could be the issue maybe but you don't state which season.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SilverangelA5

Brexit should be irrelevant unless you were of course signed up to UK Prime. Had a look there's 2 blocks of season 5 that could be the issue maybe but you don't state which season.

Thanks for that.

Yes trying to watch season 5 and also yes I signed up for a year to prime uk last year .

What do you mean 2 blocks of season 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

hkjohn wrote: »
    If you've not seen Patriot, drop everything and watch it.It's bonkers but brilliant

Thanks for recommending, I'm loving it. Bloody brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

What do you mean 2 blocks of season 5?

Search for the show and 2 season 5s show up, one of them is finicky and doesn't include the episodes you looking for the other one does, think 9 is up, 10 to be released? Don't watch show so I'd only be assuming there.

Going off Irish Prime btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,837 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I signed up for Prime Video & it's works fine. But the Mauritanian movie shows on a banner but won't show on My Prime. Is it not available in Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

Made in Italy - utter dross. Should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I had been watching Black Sails on Prime and was about half way through season 2, and now they won't play anymore. Seems like you need to subscribe to Starzplay on Prime for an extra £4.99 a month to watch it now. Feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

fryup wrote: »
    the rape scene in it is pretty horrific, is the swedish one graphic too?

The rape scene in the original wasn't too graphic if I'm honest. As I said, I haven't seen the Daniel Craig version so not able to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I had been watching Black Sails on Prime and was about half way through season 2, and now they won't play anymore. Seems like you need to subscribe to Starzplay on Prime for an extra £4.99 a month to watch it now. Feckers.

I don't think you can do that in ROI but you can using Rakuten TV or Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Glebee wrote: »
    Made in Italy - utter dross. Should have known better.

Who in their right mind would cast Liam Neeson in such a film AND tell him to use an english accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Who in their right mind would cast Liam Neeson in such a film AND tell him to use an english accent.
    You would have thought James D'arcy (being an actor himself) would have said something.

I am a fan of Liam Neeson (and I know personally that he is a really lovely guy) but he needs to be a bit more picky with the roles, he was terrific in Ordinary Love recently which is a really excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Was looking forward to watching the documentary on the murder of James Jordan, seems only available in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Occono wrote: »
    I don't think you can do that in ROI but you can using Rakuten TV or Apple TV.

What's the story with Rakuten TV?

Is it free, as when we got our new TV last year seen the app was installed with it but never really used it at all.

Have enough other apps like Netflix, Prime and NOW to keep us occupied so haven't really bothered with Rakuten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Watched the first hour of this last night

https://www.amazon.com/Dissident-Jamal-Kashoggi/dp/B08QTQFNT5

Very good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

bugsyb4 wrote: »
    What's the story with Rakuten TV?

Is it free, as when we got our new TV last year seen the app was installed with it but never really used it at all.
    Their TV stations are free but seem to be mostly rubbish, so I haven't bothered with them.
    I do use it to rent films though. They've got a points system for rentals so, after renting a film, you get a discount on the next one (and the prices are competitive with Google Play, etc before the discount). Picture quality is good, although I've generally just been renting HD as they don't offer much in 4k for the titles I've been interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

palm springs getting some really good reviews , out today

Palm Springs review – ingenious time-loop romance you'll hope never ends
    With Covid having turned all our lives into Groundhog Day, it’s perfect timing for this razor-sharp take on the genre

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/apr/08/palm-springs-review-the-time-loop-film-is-back-again-groundhog-day

• Registered Users Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

peteeeed wrote: »

With Covid having turned all our lives into Groundhog Day, it’s perfect timing for this razor-sharp take on the genre

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/apr/08/palm-springs-review-the-time-loop-film-is-back-again-groundhog-day
    Its really excellent, the two leads (and jk simmons as usual) terrific

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

One of the best films I've seen in a long time, would highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

I have Getflix DNS running on the home router and can watch live premiership and just watched the first minute of the very first episode of The Handmaid's Tale to make sure - all on Prime.
    Don't need a VPN...
    Getflix have brilliant step-by-step instructions.
    PM if you get stuck.

Also, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc. all working perfectly on all devices connected to the home router.

does it effect gaming consoles speed connected to router ?......also, can you then watch likes of rte player too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It's alright. Starts off okay, but runs out of steam by the end. Not a fan of that Samberg guy either: seems to think he's a lot funnier than he actually is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finished Season 8 of the X-Files and, like last season, I have mixed feelings. I was curious to see how my thoughts on Agent Doggett and Reyes would hold up as I remember enjoying them when I first watched this season twenty odd years ago. My opinion remained unchanged. I warmed to Doggett quite quickly, and by the time we got to the finale I was fully behind his character. I like the friendship he develops with Scully, but for me the working relationship doesn’t quite come off. Maybe it’s because Scully just doesn’t feel right opposite a sceptic. I also wish they had done an episode with Scully about what happened to Doggett’s son. They give this story to Mulder later on in the season, but I think they could have also worked it in earlier with Scully. It would have made perfect sense with Scully being pregnant. I was surprised on my rewatch how little the back story of his son comes up. I remembered it as being quite prominent in the season, but in actual fact it’s mainly discussed in one episode, and not a very good one at that. We don’t know much about Reyes at this point but she comes across as interesting.

The season feels weird without Mulder. This didn’t bother me much as a kid because I only started watching a few seasons beforehand, but if you’ve been with the guy for 7 seasons straight, and then he’s not there, it does take some getting used to. I can understand why long-term fans at the time must have found this jarring. His presence is particularly lacking in the more mundane episodes, as sometimes the Mulder/Scully dynamic can lift things; but the Doggett/Scully relationship can’t do the same. When he returns to the season, it does give everything a boost. I cheered a few times when I saw him on screen. What’s frustrating though is they take about 2/3 of the season before they explain what happened to him. It’s not because Duchovny wasn’t around, as he appeared in a few episodes here and there. It felt like they teased it out forever.

Overall, I liked the writing for the characters. Kersh is probably the standout of the season. He comes across so sinister and menacing. One of my favourite moments in the season is when Mulder defies orders to investigate an X-File, and when asked for his name, he gives Kersh's.

The writing for the plots leaves a lot to be desired, however. I’m pretty lost at this point when it comes to the mythology. The monster-of-the-week episodes were often poor, and at times the show began to feel like a chore. A lot of them are akin to superheroes acting bad to the point where I was thinking Billy Butcher from The Boys would be better on the case. For example, in ‘Surekill’, we have a guy that can see through walls. In ‘Salvage’, we have a guy that is made of metal. In ‘Badlaa’, a mystic that can manipulate reality so that those in front of him can’t see him. It made me realise the same was true in previous seasons: we had a guy that was super-fast, a woman that could manipulate the earth, a guy that could control the weather, a guy that could control lightning etc. I wonder do the writers when they’re stuck just pull up a list of X-Men characters and pick one of the powers out!

I’d forgotten the way in which Mulder returns to the show and it was pretty OTT. Mulder, earlier in the show, was revealed to have attended conferences, and been a high-profile figure in the UFO world. It’s hard to swallow he could just return like Lazarus and not cause a sensation. I wish he had just returned as Scully did earlier in the show. A lot of the endings were unsatisfying. There’s one episode, ‘Invocation’, where Scully and Doggett, and a plethora of other people, meet and talk with a child who has returned from being abducted years later, but hasn’t aged a day. It later turns out he was an apparition of some sort. Scully at the end of the episode doesn’t seem fazed by any of this, which doesn't sit well.

I enjoyed the episodes where Mulder gets to play off Doggett. Their dynamic works quite nicely, probably because it’s more traditional for the show. The ending of the season was exciting and Skinner gets a big revenge moment against Krychek. The final scene with the kiss is a nice moment, but the explanation for what happened to Scully leaves a lot of questions. I wonder if Chris Carter even knew what was going on. My favourite episode of S8 was one that didn't centre around any of the main characters: 'Redrum', featuring Joe Morton who played Miles Dyson in Terminator 2. The storyline involves him playing a friend of Doggett, accused of murdering his wife, and every day that passes he goes backwards in time, bringing him closer to the fateful day. I really liked the concept here, but few ideas this season got me invested like this.

My feeling coming out of this season was that the characters continued to be ones I wanted to root for, but that the storyline material was getting weaker. Nowadays, series don’t tend to be 20 odd episodes in length, so maybe that’s a factor. Going to give Season 9 a look now and see what I make of the Doggett and Reyes partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Finally got round to watchin the us office. I know its been out years. Have to say enjoyed it immensely. I laughed and i cried and laughed some more and cried another bit too.

Def worth a watch if u havent seen it already.
    All seasons available

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Finally got round to watchin the us office. I know its been out years. Have to say enjoyed it immensely. I laughed and i cried and laughed some more and cried another bit too.

Def worth a watch if u havent seen it already.
    All seasons available

I watched it probably six times now, I'm rewatching with herself as shes never seen it. Creeds song hits me in the feels everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

US office is without doubt the best tv comedy series ever made.. Fact.. Must check out the getflix, it has a two week trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I prefer It's Always Sunny to The US Office

Advertisement