Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knightfly

dulpit wrote: »
    To be fair, their recommendations on the main website can be odd. If you buy a TV, Amazon be like "We think you'd like another TV". I got a DSLR a few years ago and instead of my recommendations being full of things like lenses, cases, etc; it was instead recommendations of other DSLRs.:confused:
    Yes, but it can also be quite creepy. A friend once got a stair gate to keep her dogs out of the kitchen. Amazon decided she'd got a baby and started recommanding baby products. After a few years it was starting to recommend Back To School products...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

knightfly wrote: »

It keeps suggesting live sports for me; I've no idea why. I've never watched any and never will

Maybe as there's money in sports channels so they want to get new paying customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Big fan but found Season 5 very slow altogether.

I understand its an xmas release series so assuming filming has been able to start I'd say December 2021.

Supposed to be the final season - but there are 2 more books - not sure if thats good or bad.

I really enjoyed season 5 , i thought season 4 was the poorest for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭KildareP

fryup wrote: »
    watching the grand tour on TV...the picture goes from bright to dark repeatedly and its annoying

but watching on the laptop its fine:confused: is there a fix?
    At a guess, sounds like it's switching in and out of HDR mode.

Anyway, I've cancelled Prime altogether - lots of rewatching to be getting on with Star next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I really enjoyed season 5 , i thought season 4 was the poorest for me.

I get that some people like the character development, for me it was overplayed, almost an hr of watching 1 character cry alone.

Minimal action.

That and having to cull actors post shooting for real life actions made it choppy.

Going the way of GoT - good when it followed the books but losing its way.

Hoping it can wrap up well but hard to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve finished season 2 of the marvellous mrs maisel and like some have said it’s as good as the first season. I like most of the characters but Joel’s mother would get on your nerves. She’s the type of person who means well but is okay in small doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

I was hoping to join Amazon prime video as daughter needs to watch The Handmaid's Tale for school, and i cant find it anywhere else to stream. Strange thing is, it seems that seasons 1 & 2 are blocked here, although season 3 is available. I have a fire stick. Is there a way to get around this so we can watch from season 1? Apologies if im asking the obvious, im not at all technical. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

I’m a few episodes into Absentia. Liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

carr62 wrote: »
    I was hoping to join Amazon prime video as daughter needs to watch The Handmaid's Tale for school, and i cant find it anywhere else to stream. Strange thing is, it seems that seasons 1 & 2 are blocked here, although season 3 is available. I have a fire stick. Is there a way to get around this so we can watch from season 1? Apologies if im asking the obvious, im not at all technical. Many thanks.

Sign up for a VPN. I use ExpressVPN, and you can even get a free 30 day trial if you don't want it beyond that (https://www.expressvpn.com/features/vpn-trial). Set it up and set your region to UK on it. It works for me: I get all the UK content on Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you don't particularly need Prime then you might as well buy the DVD's from Amazon - about €40 for all three seasons.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

read the book its better, and avoid the sequel, the author tried to pander to its success and ruined the original ending

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Sign up for a VPN. I use ExpressVPN, and you can even get a free 30 day trial if you don't want it beyond that (https://www.expressvpn.com/features/vpn-trial). Set it up and set your region to UK on it. It works for me: I get all the UK content on Amazon Prime.

AWS are very good at detecting VPN's just be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭manodepeeple

I have Getflix DNS running on the home router and can watch live premiership and just watched the first minute of the very first episode of The Handmaid's Tale to make sure - all on Prime.
    Don't need a VPN...
    Getflix have brilliant step-by-step instructions.
    PM if you get stuck.

Also, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc. all working perfectly on all devices connected to the home router.

Also a few places online that will give you a 30 day free trial for Audio books and the full audio is also on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8gFH5ybelM

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knightfly

This is one of the weird things about Amazon's content for Ireland; random episodes can just be missing. Nobody knows why.

I'm curious, why does your daughter need to watch a specific program for school. It feels odd that they should require that she watch something that isn't free-to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Seek out the original film instead from 1990. Much shorter and tells the story just as well, better IMO. I'd also recommend the book, in paper or audio form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

read the book its better, and avoid the sequel, the author tried to pander to its success and ruined the original ending
    is_that_so wrote: »
    Seek out the original film instead from 1990. Much shorter and tells the story just as well, better IMO. I'd also recommend the book, in paper or audio form.

FFS he's literally said his daughter needs to watch the series, not read the book or watch an entirely different film.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

knightfly wrote: »
    I'm curious, why does your daughter need to watch a specific program for school. It feels odd that they should require that she watch something that isn't free-to air.

As a parent of teenage kids this does seem odd.
    Why would the school not provide copies or choose a more accessible show?
    Maybe it’s the book they are studying and the kid doesn’t like reading (2 of my 4 hate reading, I’ve set them up with Audible instead)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

The situation is that my daughter has been studying the book as part of her Leaving Cert course. She would be very familiar with the book, having written essays on it etc for the course. A little while ago, the class were discussing how written works are "adapted" for television, and how a film or tv series can end up being far removed from the original. They started talking about Handmaid's Tale, and my daughter realized she was one of very few in her class who hadnt seen it. The teacher suggested it might be a good idea to watch it in her spare time if she could, but it isnt a necessary part of the syllabus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thanks for explanation. Makes sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭jos22

can primevideo be shared via amazon household in Ireland, added sister to my household and prime delivery working but keep saying to sign up for prime video. My account is full prime

jos22 wrote: »
    can primevideo be shared via amazon household in Ireland, added sister to my household and prime delivery working but keep saying to sign up for prime video. My account is full prime

Can't remember how many exactly but you can have more than one video playing with the same login details at the same time.

Might be three you can have going at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭jos22

Can't remember how many exactly but you can have more than one video playing with the same login details at the same time.

Might be three you can have going at the same time?

but it dosent work like prime delivery where they can use there own amazon account and login

loyatemu wrote: »
    FFS he's literally said his daughter needs to watch the series, not read the book or watch an entirely different film.
    And I pointed out that the film, also an adaptation, is better, but you rant away now if it makes you feel better.

The situation is that my daughter has been studying the book as part of her Leaving Cert course. She would be very familiar with the book, having written essays on it etc for the course. A little while ago, the class were discussing how written works are "adapted" for television, and how a film or tv series can end up being far removed from the original. They started talking about Handmaid's Tale, and my daughter realized she was one of very few in her class who hadnt seen it. The teacher suggested it might be a good idea to watch it in her spare time if she could, but it isnt a necessary part of the syllabus.
    Season 1 is the book. The rest is imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Someone on here recommended The Bureau.

I tried to find it last night but couldn't see it, searched for the title and all and it came up on the search bar but nothing in the options box.

Is this available to Irish subscribers?

I get plenty of results for The Bureau but the only thing remotely close that came up was The Humanity Bureau - Nicholas Cage so enough said.

None of the other 59 results even had the word Bureau in the title:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

The Bureau is not on the main Prime Video. It is on one of those extra subscription services within Prime Video which are only available in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I get plenty of results for The Bureau but the only thing remotely close that came up was The Humanity Bureau - Nicholas Cage so enough said.

None of the other 59 results even had the word Bureau in the title:rolleyes:

ya why do they do that? at least now tv is more straightforward - "that title is not available"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jos22 wrote: »

I don't think so, my wife has prime and the benefits are shared, but if I log into Prime Video I can't watch anything without subscribing separately.

Weirdly, if I log in using my details I see all the profiles including my own Amazon account, and the same if I log in with her account. It's a mess but that's prime video in general.

Advertisement