Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS Plus Collection looks to be Sony's answer to Gamepass.

Could just be an expansion of their PS Now streaming service though.

Exclusives from Sony coming to PC are apparently end of console life exclusives so don't expect to see everything coming to PC.

Yeah Jim Ryan has said that they're not going to be going the Gamepass route of first-party games being free on PS Now as MS do with Gamepass, because with the money Sony's studios put into their games it just wouldn't be sustainable. So I'm guessing the PS Now will be where such first party games end up becoming free 1-2 years after release for a limited time, then on PS+ Collection a few months later.

PS Now doesn't seem like a bad deal in fairness, over 700 games available on it. It just doesn't match Gamepass particularly with their new releases being free on it. For me though it comes down to quality over quantity, as most of the Xbox first party games simply don't interest me, whereas most of the PS ones do and I'm happy to pay for them. That might change with some of the studios MS have bought and what games they come out with.

I think Sony just need to beef up PS Now a bit more, even if they're not willing to bring it as far as MS. No more adding big-name games but only for two months. Try get the same deal with EA Access that MS now have. Maybe do a combined PS+ & PS Now subscription offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dustempire

Anybody knows where's the best chance to pre-order a PS5 here in Ireland? I've only found UK options that wouldn't deliver to the Republic anyway and parcelmotel seems risky as the console dimensions are huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You don't really need one on day one. There will be plenty around come christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I'll get the ps5 but probably not for another 2 to 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

dustempire wrote: »
    Anybody knows where's the best chance to pre-order a PS5 here in Ireland? I've only found UK options that wouldn't deliver to the Republic anyway and parcelmotel seems risky as the console dimensions are huge.

Preordered mine via Amazon/Parcelmotel because you don’t have to pay upfront. It gives me time to come up with the funds up until a week before release date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The PC is the best, it is already next gen and you can get the games at a reasonable price, I have not paid more tan 50 for a game in the last 5 years and I will certainly never feel justified spending 80 euro on a single game. Sony games coming on PC also means it is really the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The PC is the best, it is already next gen

Whichever is best depends on what each individual is looking for. At the moment no PC exclusive coming soon excites me whereas I think all the consoles have something exclusive that I'm looking forward to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC has far and away the most exclusives. Not many big games but lots of games that don't suit consoles and then there's indies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As I’ve always said, PC and consoles are not a directly comparable proposition for most people.

I know that if I want to play the broadest range of games at the best quality I should invest in good PC hardware (which I do).

I also know that for a substantial majority of people, a significantly cheaper console that sits under the TV and plays the handful of games they want without hassle is all they need. (I should also note I’ve come to value consoles far more during the era of working from home, just to step away from the PC for a while in the evenings).

A PS5 / Xbox Series X vs an RTX 3080 are entirely different value propositions for all but enthusiasts.

But honestly I’m fortunate enough to be able to just split the difference: consoles for the console games I want to play, and a good PC for the PC and multi-format games I want to play.

PC heads remind me a bit of people who still listen to vinyl. Nobody cares but you always tell everybody it's the best experience. It is true but still, nobody cares.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »
    PC heads remind me a bit of people who still listen to vinyl. Nobody cares but you always tell everybody it's the best experience. It is true but still, nobody cares.

And console people constantly remind you how pc is awful and too expensive compared to their poverty machines.

Honestly both types are as annoying as each other but if either one tells the other their choice is crap then of course you're going to get **** flung back at you because, quell surprise, both are viable and good and have their advantages.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And console people constantly remind you how pc is awful and too expensive compared to their poverty machines.

Honestly both types are as annoying as each other but if either one tells the other their choice is crap then of course you're going to get **** flung back at you because, quell surprise, both are viable and good and have their advantages.

It's always PC people going on about how superior the system is. Most people have a PC or laptop but it's not powerful enough for next gen gaming.

I did fire up Papers Please today for the first time since 2014 according to Steam and enjoyed it.

RasTa wrote: »
    It's always PC people going on about how superior the system is. Most people have a PC or laptop but it's not powerful enough for next gen gaming.

I did fire up Papers Please today for the first time since 2014 according to Steam and enjoyed it.

Trust me, plenty of console people that haven't used a pc or one since vista talking about crashes and hardware issues that just don't exist anymore. It gets boring and always ends up in a dumpster fire of thrash talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Honestly I'm not on any 'side', I happen to play more on PC now but it was consoles for decades before. If I'm enjoying the experience I don't really care which is 'better' or more popular. It's a bit sad that grown adults still argue over gear, [not so much here but across the net, going on years] whether it be console vs PC [or indeed even Ps vs Xbox] or Canon vs Nikon vs Sony vs Fuiji ... it gets tiring and very pointless.

One thing I do know though is that a lot of people will just auto select Playstation, , they just won't even consider any other option. Maybe they got sucked in by tv advertising and popularity over the years who knows? The poll here kinda looks that way too

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dustempire

Gally79 wrote: »
    Preordered mine via Amazon/Parcelmotel because you don’t have to pay upfront. It gives me time to come up with the funds up until a week before release date.

Thank you, was about to do exactly that but wasn’t sure that parcelmotel would deliver that big a parcel... I think ps5 with the box might not fit in their standard locker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Going with the PS5 since I'll be getting a new PC to play Cyberpunk 2077, which would make me getting an Xbox Series pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was leaning towards buying both but, now, I think I'll just go for the Xbox Series X and get the PS5 in 2021.
    Demon's Souls is the only reason for me to own the PS5, and it's almost enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was leaning towards buying both but, now, I think I'll just go for the Xbox Series X and get the PS5 in 2021.
    Demon's Souls is the only reason for me to own the PS5, and it's almost enough...
    DS is what tipped me over for my pre-order.
    Just hope it arrives in time now.

Only replayed it on the PS3 a few months ago but the promos look amazing, and then seeng that Bloodborne is one of the freebie plus games...

May go for a lower spec’d xbox down the line but for now will stick with the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Xbox series X

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gamestop offering a trade on xbox consoles. One x for series x for 200 if you also trade 3 select games. Can't see any PlayStation offer but for this week only, they will give you 250 trade credit against a ps4 pro.

https://twitter.com/GameStopIE/status/1307628080534519808?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Gamestop offering a trade on xbox consoles. One x for series x for 200 if you also trade 3 select games. Can't see any PlayStation offer but for this week only, they will give you 250 trade credit against a ps4 pro.

Managed to get 224 cash for my ps5 slim FF 15 edition from cex, worth a look there too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

daheadonu wrote: »
    Managed to get 224 cash for my ps5 slim FF 15 edition from cex, worth a look there too

Yeah, I'll be seeking my pro to cex in a couple of weeks, hopefully it will still be 237 cash but wouldn't mind a small hit by then.

Wonder if the likes of the Turkish and Indonesian PSN store will be much cheaper than EU,still can't get over those nprices

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Wonder if the likes of the Turkish and Indonesian PSN store will be much cheaper than EU,still can't get over those nprices

Hoping so as buy most of my games from them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

They are cheaper?

They are cheaper?

Yeah got nioh 2 with season pass for 30 euros there a while ago for example very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The PS5 is a big auld girl.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Why do comparisons (and the actual manufacturers for that matter) all assume everyone stands their console up? In the real world I don't know anyone who doesn't have their consoles sitting flat in the unit under the TV, just like the Sky / Horizon box etc.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    Why do comparisons (and the actual manufacturers for that matter) all assume everyone stands their console up? In the real world I don't know anyone who doesn't have their consoles sitting flat in the unit under the TV, just like the Sky / Horizon box etc.

Mine all stand up. After the PS360 disaster I want my expensive consoles to have as much airflow as possible.

And I don't have access to a TV unit.

Advertisement