Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Penn wrote: »
    I really must actually check out PS Now. I've never taken too deep a look into what games are on it. Maybe it's just constantly been in my head that "It's not Gamepass..."

I subscribe to both and honestly? GamePass is better.

That's not to say Ps now is bad. It's just I find you get more quality games on gamepass and you can download every game. Alot of the old titles ps now are stream only. So forget about doing that if someone else is watching Netflix in the house etc. Very temperamental I found.

But it's still worth it as long as you get your use out of it. I recently completed Control and Killzone thanks to it. I say give it a shot and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McFly85

Penn wrote: »
    I really must actually check out PS Now. I've never taken too deep a look into what games are on it. Maybe it's just constantly been in my head that "It's not Gamepass..."

I’ve actually just gone on at lunch to have a look. Just looking at downloadable titles it’s pretty good, there’s a big enough selection. It does include fallout 4, 2 wolfenstein games, prey, the elder scrolls online and doom, but I guess they’ll be gone soon :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How is the lag on PS Now? That would honestly kill it for me if it's bad in the likes of Hollow Knight or Cuphead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    How is the lag on PS Now? That would honestly kill it for me if it's bad in the likes of Hollow Knight or Cuphead.

Only PS2 and PS3 games are streaming only. One or two can be the exception to that rule (such as primal on PS2 is download for some reason) however most are streaming. PS4 games are all downloadable.

Quality depends on what else is using the network. If it's just you and streaming you should be grand. If something else is happening? It will prompt you that your stream is too poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Having owned a PS4 last gen and gamed on that or gaming PC. This time around things are starting to sway slightly toward XB for me this gen. The MS eco-system, coupled with games pass on both platforms and the games makes it easier for me to dip in and out of. The only thing going for the PS5 for me right now is HZD2 and thats not even a release title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I just finished playing through Code Veronica X and honestly you wouldn't notice the difference. I have roughly a 100 Mb/s connection and I wasn't sharing it with anything/anyone though, YMMV though.

It has a 1 week free trial to test it yourself.
    Having owned a PS4 last gen and gamed on that or gaming PC. This time around things are starting to sway slightly toward XB for me this gen. The MS eco-system, coupled with games pass on both platforms and the games makes it easier for me to dip in and out of. The only thing going for the PS5 for me right now is HZD2 and thats not even a release title.

You can play Horizon 2 on your PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Markitron wrote: »
    Well thats that then XB it is and keep the PS4 haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Is HZD2 not also coming to PS4, so yo can have your cake and eat it.

Well thats that then XB it is and keep the PS4 haha

Tbh, I actually believe them when they say this is a PS5 game. I imagine the PS4 version is going to be seriously compromised. I have a feeling this one is coming sooner than expected too, I am thinking May/June.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,283 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tbh, I actually believe them when they say this is a PS5 game. I imagine the PS4 version is going to be seriously compromised. I have a feeling this one is coming sooner than expected too, I am thinking May/June.

I'm sure the PS4 version will still look glorious, and I doubt you'd miss too much in terms of not having whatever haptic feedback they put in for the Dualsense on PS5.

It's the load times that would be the bigger issue for me playing on PS4. They weren't bad on PS4 in HZD1, but it still takes you out of the game, especially later in the game when you're able to do more fast travelling. SHould be a hell of a lot better on PS5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Plus, after the first game made the jump, a high probability it might come to PC at some stage after release too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭recyclops

I think this and spiderman are getting the breath of the wild treatment originally developed for old tech and then bumped up onto the new one, they will throw in the haptic and force feedback to appease the new console and a slight upgrade with load times etc

recyclops wrote: »
    I think this and spiderman are getting the breath of the wild treatment originally developed for old tech and then bumped up onto the new one, they will throw in the haptic and force feedback to appease the new console and a slight upgrade with load times etc

I would agree with you with Spiderman but not Horizon. I expect that it was developed 100% with the PS5 in mind from day 1, even if I think this might hold it back. I expect it to be a lot more extensive than a quick port with minimal upgrades.

Personally I think HZD was planned to launch around now (Sep/Oct) as a last hurrah for PS4 and then get a PS5 update a few months later.
    But it got delayed, a combination of covid and/or normal development delays. Left them unsure of how to announce the game.

The way they've handled it has been clumsy and professionals don't do that if everything is going to plan.

There's no question it will be held back by the PS4. That doesn't mean it'll suffer as a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McFly85

Personally I think HZD was planned to launch around now (Sep/Oct) as a last hurrah for PS4 and then get a PS5 update a few months later.
    But it got delayed, a combination of covid and/or normal development delays. Left them unsure of how to announce the game.

The way they've handled it has been clumsy and professionals don't do that if everything is going to plan.

There's no question it will be held back by the PS4. That doesn't mean it'll suffer as a game.

I think if it was originally supposed to launch around now it would have been announced last year.

I reckon it was designed as a PS5 game that’s been scaled back for PS4, but will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

Horizon Forbidden West almost certainly began development targeting PS5 without knowing the exact specs. It was only announced 3 months ago, releasing 2021, which almost certainly means late 21, probably November.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Storage is going to be a bloody nightmare next gen. Microsoft has revealed their 1TB storage expansions will cost over 200 quid... you’d genuinely have nearly gotten an Xbox Series S at that price. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-24-xbox-series-x-s-1tb-expandable-storage-costs-usd220

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I can see much juggling and transferring between slow external storage and the onboard SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If the internet connection is better than PS4 then I don't mind deleting and downloading as I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Storage is going to be a bloody nightmare next gen. Microsoft has revealed their 1TB storage expansions will cost over 200 quid... you’d genuinely have nearly gotten an Xbox Series S at that price. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-24-xbox-series-x-s-1tb-expandable-storage-costs-usd220

It's worse here, Seagate have done a Dollar to GBP conversion instead of the normal Dollar to Euro conversion meaning it costs €250 here. It would probably work out cheaper buying it from Amazon US, even with the import fees and additional shipping costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

It's worse here, Seagate have done a Dollar to GBP conversion instead of the normal Dollar to Euro conversion meaning it costs €250 here. It would probably work out cheaper buying it from Amazon US, even with the import fees and additional shipping costs.

Be better off buying another Series S at that point, rather than paying euro prices.

You wont have to change discs to play a different game....just change consoles :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The PS5 really is an ugly looking beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

I think that is just with VAT added rather than a straight 1:1 conversion. Sales tax in US is a state by state thing.

Unfortunately expensive storage is inevitable with these systems. They're both using fast flash, quite a bit more expensive than the budget stuff you find in a €50 SATA SSD.

The Xbox uses slower flash (than the PS5) which in theory should be cheaper. But the flip-side is that the PS5 uses non-proprietary NVMe so you're going to have multiple manufacturers in competition.

I prefer the Sony solution, non-proprietary is always going to be cheaper and better for consumers. Particularly in the long run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I can see MS keeping the storage prices high. I still remember the absolute rip off prices for their 360 hard disks. And lets not go into PS Vita storage cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I think that is just with VAT added rather than a straight 1:1 conversion. Sales tax in US is a state by state thing.

It isn't. The price of the ssd in dollars plus the average EU VAT rate is roughly €229.

It is normal for companies to just change the sign before the price from dollar to euro, Seagate decided to change it to GBP instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not my cup of tea, but I know some folks are seriously addicted, Football Manager 21 coming to xbox platform

https://www.sportbible.com/football/gaming-fm21-release-date-confirmed-and-itll-be-on-xbox-20200925

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/playstation-5/playstation-5-consoles/playstation-5-digital-edition-console/p/191430

Serious issues trying to get a PS5 on smyths atm in Ireland. Surely half of this is scalpers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,181 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not my cup of tea, but I know some folks are seriously addicted, Football Manager 21 coming to xbox platform

https://www.sportbible.com/football/gaming-fm21-release-date-confirmed-and-itll-be-on-xbox-20200925

Football manager with a controller should be illegal.

Great for people without a PC if they can hook up a keyboard & mouse, though? You'd like to think it will be an option. Mods certainly won't be available which would take away from the experience slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think that kills the Series S for me.

512Gb is feck all for games, so you'd need to buy the storage expansion imo with that. If it was 1TB, you'd manage with deleting and downloading, but 512 GB could be 3-4 games only depending on what ones (if you buy CoD, Cyberpunk and AC, i'd say you won't have much left).

With the storage expansion there, you might as well just buy the Series X

Advertisement