Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No they won't. You'll get a pass for some "natural ability" or some such nonsense. But alas. :P

To be fair to my Kerry moaning, if you were in Division 4 and getting beaten by Waterford in Munster I would still be at ya. See, I'm consistent in my disgust. :)

---

The Championship thread has been garbáiste the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

I looked up the rulebook just to get some clarification on this. This is what I found:

1.9 Provided that he has at least one foot on the ground, a player may make a shoulder to shoulder charge on an opponent- (a) who is in possession of the ball, or (b) who is playing the ball, or (c) when both players are moving in the direction of the ball to play it.

Only a shoulder to shoulder charge is permitted according to the rule book anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They do have some lovely wristy hurlers in fairness.

Better not mention the "Thuggery in Tralee" episode though. Those lovely fine "natural footballers" would never stoop so low.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

15 to 20 warnings(yellow cards) have been issued since the game.

I believe posters are not able to see that sanctions were applied to a post- other than their own.

Rest assured, any poster that deserves a ban, will get one.

Any issue, please message rather than quote this in thread, thank you.

Unless your name is Flynn and playing against us, then it's absolutely fine.

• Advertisement

Small didn't even have a foul awarded against him. I wonder if he'll face any sanctions post match?

Neither did Flynn, he got his goal and was highly praised for it.

I've no doubt HQ are getting the rule book out to throw at him. Don't you be worried about that.

I hope so to be honest, player safety has to be of upmost importance at the end of the day.

I'm sure you do.

No doubt you're also worried about the off the ball shenanigans that's blighting the game and driving lads away from the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There are various videos going around. That one doesnt do Small any favours. It was not a shoulder to the jaw. The impact at pace caused his shoulder to go up, thats physics and contrary to O'Mahonys comment they were both slightly crouched.

• Advertisement

The video I linked shows the impact was to the jaw with very little to no contact with the shoulder. Do you have a video that shows different?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Lads it time to take my grandfather’s advice as posted earlier. Some lads are getting the horn due to a Dublin defeat, says a lot more about them than any Dublin player or supporters here. Time to hit the button and stop feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I I don't think the ref was 'up' for any team. I think he tried to let the game run and let some things go. But both sides took advantage and it ended up in a right mess.

It was a fairly full first half, but people will be talking about the second half for years to come. Mainly because a combination of Dublin throwing it away, and Mayo going for it. A few days on and I honestly don't feel that Dublin were too hard done by with the result. It was not one of those type of games that Dublin did not deserve to lose. They blew it from a cushy position. 6 points up and losing by 3 after extra time says there was only one team in it after half time.

I would like Dessie to start introducing young players ASAP. If just to freshen things up bit of pace and bit of life to the team. When you think back in 2016/2017 the talk of Mayo football that it would take them a generation to come back. How would they replace Andy Moran etc. But they had a complete clear out and revamp so that just four years later they look like they could dominate Gaelic Football along with Kerry for the next 5-10 years.

Maybe you could call this Mayo's Golden generation, I am not expecting Dublin to suddenly unearth players of the quality Mayo now have. But I would just like Dessie to throw in 4/5 lads with a bit of fearlessness, vibrancy and energy (especially in the forward line and half backs). That is what this Dublin team is missing IMO. And the experienced lads on the panel should be able to guide them along.

I was thinking has Kilkenny turned into more of a hindrance than a help, constantly dictating the play. But he also has a tendency to slow things down.

Looking at those six forwards that started the last day. First thing that springs to my mind is where is the 'zip'

Paddy Small (10) horse of a player can win ball but not fast over the ground

Ciaran Kilkenny (11) He is good if other around him have zip and make the runs - if not he is fairly impotent

Niall Scully (12) Nice silky type of player really comfortable on the ball but no real pace to terrify defences. He has a very languid style.

Dean Rock (13) Ok great man for the frees and extremely accurate in his kicking - got a bit more from play this year I felt - but again no mad pace about him

Con O'Callaghan (14) He probably had his worst season in a long time - comfortable on the ball - used to be very dangerous when he started out in the half forwards.

He has the pace, in 2017 he was great with a goal in both the Mayo game and Tyrone. Full of vibrant direct running. Now he looks a shadow of that player jaded coasting through games.

Cormac Costello (15) Ok a good man for the frees is calm under pressure and dangerous if given space. But I always feel he is easily closed down if the defender is a fast one.

--

The whole forward line and half forward line needs a complete rejigging and freshening up. It is about time Bugler started games he has a bit about him when he comes on.

--

I think the half back line is a problem as well. Mainly because of Cian O'Sullivan gone who used to have such a calmness about him everyone around him looked better.

James McCarthy (5) legend that he is - is his time up as a starter as a half back? You need someone with pace there

John Small (6) a solid warhorse - but he is no Cian O'Sullivan not in the same class. In fairness not many are. But he is solid but not in the same manner CO'S commanded that defence.

Murchan (7) Seemed to be one of the few fellas who consistently wanted to run at Mayo and draw them out of position.

--

I suppose if McDaid comes back and maybe Jack MCcaffrey at a long shot it could sort it out the half backs a bit. McMahon had a solid year to be fair to him but it was kind of a Paul Casey type year. A solid 6/10 nothing flashy but nothing silly either. It needs more pace there dynamic players.

Those six forwards are not functioning properly consistently are the real problem, I think. Too many fellas who want to do the same types of job.

--

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

You can dig away and you will find it. That what you linked was not the original angle nor the angle any official had. That came about when a few people (pundits) were howling for blood.

There is a thing called fairness in how we analyse these incidents of any GAA player but this is nothing but a witch hunt against Small and the greatest team to play the game. Begrudgery as my late mother would say is the biggest killer of Irish people.

Night all. Work at 5am

And I was ran out the Mayo thread when I went in and asked what a 'values and behaviours coach' was last year.

In the image above from last years AI programme.

And they managed to turn it into something else. Fairly quickly I got the vibe that 'outsiders' were not welcome and there was not much craic in it. They were discussing all stars. And I said how could I take it seriously when Clarke got one when he let in two OG's? And how it was political in its method. I added I only used to look at the All Stars when Dublin were winning feck all. And I could not name Dublin's all stars at all.

I was told by the mod not to post anymore there politely - in other words leave us be for the time being.

Yet here on the Dublin thread it seems that posters can appear on it from nowhere making the same point repeatedly. With a nasty undercurrent and edge to it. I suppose Dublin/Dublin people are just a more tolerant and welcoming? Which is reflected in the Dublin thread.

The video isn't edited or anything. It just shows what happened. We don't want players receiving broken jaws going out onto a football pitch. It's important that it's stamped out. If it was a Dublin player on the receiving end the same calls would be made. Shoulders to the jaw, elbows, punches, whatever, it's important to show that those types of acts are not welcome in Gaelic Games.

All very good points G. I'd say one way to inject some directness and pace into the front 6 would be to push Howard back into the half forwards. If you're an attacking team it's great to see Howard picking the ball up at his own 21 where he can't hurt you. He was played too deep and it was one of many mistakes Dessie made this year. Let's see if he makes some changes next year.

Feck it yeah forgot about the moving Howard to the half forwards option. Put McCarthy in the middle. I would drop one of C'OC or Kilkenny.

I think the two half forwards on either side of whoever plays either side of the CHF should be nippy players. Because that way whoever plays (11) C'O'C or CK are suddenly very dangerous. I see Paddy Small more of a full forward type of fella move him out of the half forwards. I would say poor auld Costello will end up losing his place as well. He just slows it down and since Rock is on frees is he needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

There was no shoulder to shoulder contact at all. He knew well what he was at. He was filthy the whole game but no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Going by their antics in losing at the weekend, and their historical 'edge', Dublin could do with a Values and Behaviours coach themselves. Or has Bernard Dunne left his role too?

The irony of a Dub fan scrutinising the depth of another county's backroom team when they seem to have started the fad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Mod edit.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

When multiple players resort to pure base violence in frustration with the punches, elbows, shoulders-to-face and clotheslining that were on display it's a real show of the actual core values there under the veneer when the mask slips.

The other thing on display was the ineffectiveness of the officiators and their lack of balls that allowed it to happen.

It's Costello or Rock for me, so one of those would lose out on a starting position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Were you watching the Dublin games this year? Ciaran Kilkenny has played majority of football at full forward and Con was centre forward for most games this year. Kilkenny got 0-13 Con 1-5(very low by his high standards). While CK played well it was very obvious Con was at centre forward was not working out. Dessie failure to change this was one of key reasons we lost. Kilkenny is our most important forward as we need his leadership out the field. That his first championship defeat in 9 years. Con is our biggest goal threat yet he was deployed 40/50 yard from our goal. Bugler will be fit next year. Need look at likes of James Doran, Mark Lavin, and Lorcan O'Dell as options as half forwards next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Can I ask ye one very serious question arising out of Saturdays game.

Can you get a burger and a pint in Croke Park still!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

He'll be picked on reputation alone. Not fairly mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dublin don't have a proper bench players to come on and make an impact anymore which is a big problem. No Dermo Connolly, Paddy Andrews, KMcM, OGara, Mannion. Costello starts now.

I find it interesting how it elicited such a reaction from a Wexford man, who decides to comment on a Dublin GAA thread in a match their county was not participating in.

Which to me mean one of two things;

1) You either have a secret grá for Dublin GAA

2) You have a bit of dislike for Dublin GAA

I would surmise it is the latter, as in your post above you put the word 'edge' in quotation marks. And also used the word antics, to imply it was out of the ordinary and never seen before. But the truth is there was nothing much different seen in that game of football than anyone would ever have seen in a Gaelic Football match. The game was not a really nasty one, despite attempts by some to create a narrative that it was. More messy than anything, not helped by the referee.

Also implicit in your word choice is dismissal of the Dublin football team and questioning their character off the pitch. Which is a usual tactic by many non-Dub GAA followers who look for a new angle to dislike them. There is a lot of the same tired narrative by non-Dubs with gripes about Dublin

'Dublin are boring, machines, show no emotion', 'no skill', or the best one 'when they are gracious they are insincere' (Jim Gavin) 'false humility' is/was the phrase some use . Now the narrative is 'the dirty dubs', the previous narrative in the 00's was Dublin were a soft touch and could be 'got' at. Depending on the best way of sullying the Dublin team at any particular time/era one of those particular narratives is trotted out. Not to mention other issues which consume the minds of fine country men in between the milking of cows - so 'the offshoot' Dublin threads created for their amusement on boards.ie where there is little nuance in the narrative. It is all designed to diminish Dublin's achievements, that is the sole goal for many.

Simply put it is all begrudgery. I understand it people want to take the top dogs down. That is human nature. In contrast no-one gives a damn about serial losers they are no threat, they are no benchmark to measure a team against.

As regards my comments on the Mayo backroom team it was a question as to what a 'values and behaviours coach' does or is as I had never seen the term. And, as I had not seen it before it therefore stood out a mile on the page.

So I thought posing the question to supporters of that county would shed some light on the term for me. And I also referenced the attitude to posters from other counties in those threads (such as a the Mayo one) versus the Dublin thread. Normally those other threads have fair less activity than the Dublin thread. And it is not just because of population, it is because most GAA supporters like yourself want to see what the fans of the best team in the history of Men's Football think about their county and what is going on. The Dublin GAA thread is used to having outsiders from other county's come in. In other county's threads outsiders are ran out of it. Or at the minimum discouraged.

Other GAA boards county threads are akin to the country pub. Heads turned sideways as the stranger walks in. A bit of a 'parish pub' mentality, Meanwhile the Dublin thread echoes real life. Country people are drawn to Dublin for the action and buzz. Dublin people are well used to it is much more cosmopolitan its mindset. What is shining through in this thread is the lazy country view of Dublin as a county in general = rough. 'The dirty Dubs crimeline' and so on.

It is funny to see.There is that undercurrent in the current narrative about John Small and another poster even threw his brother into the mix for good measure. And believe another phrase in the narrative that has just been used by the same poster was a reference to the 'mask slipping'.

It is very clear what is meant by that underlying narrative. Yet there is many a hurling game with even beyond the same level of hard hitting in Munster for instance. And it is described as 'passion', or 'a great advertisement for hurling' and so on. The same with Ulster football the pundits used to eulogise about the 'passion' and so on. Tyrone v Armagh in the 00's etc. But when Dublin have some players who play a physical game, suddenly the narrative changes. A questioning of Dublin's moral fibre and character.

With regard to the image in question was from the 2020 AIF Final match programme in which my county Dublin participated in. Which is the reason I brought the programme. It was not 'scrutinising the Mayo backroom team' merely reading the programme, which I paid for. I don't skip pages, I like to get the full value and read it all. Otherwise what is the point in buying a match programme?

The real irony here you are a Wexford fan (which is really a hurling county) are scrutinising a Dublin's supporter's post who questioned a phrase in a football match programme his county participated in. On a Dublin GAA thread.

It at least tells me one thing you seem far more interested in Dublin than I would ever be in Wexford, for instance. It shows that the interest in Dublin GAA is massive. Which is good for the GAA and good for Dublin GAA.. I have even seen Colm O'Rourke at packed Dublin Club Football Finals. Would Dublin people travel to Meath Club Finals, I am not so sure?

Whether you are born and bred in Dublin, outside Dublin. or from another county living in Dublin. It is shown by the massive level of interest non-Dubs have in this Dublin thread. I am not sure I was even in the Wexford GAA thread much at all if ever. Or if I could find Castletown on a Wexford map. I assume it is one of those places that are bypassed by the motorway?

To be honest, the only thing I would ever hear about Wexford is the latest Davy Fitz rant. Otherwise I wouldn't pay much heed. Since he is gone, the mention of Wexford for me now has most chance of registering when there is mention of strawberries.

The real irony is - that many non Dublin supporters come to gripe about Dublin GAA from all sorts of angles. The truth is because Dublin is box office. It will be known as having the best Men's Gaelic Football Team in the history of the GAA that revolutionised the game.

To paraphrase former Wexford Hurling Manager Davy Fitz -' Dublin have lead Two Pivotal Gaelic Games Revolution's, Wexford have done f**k all.'

--

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

I was one of those who wanted Costello to start as I felt he deserved it. But it has been tried now and the mix does not seem right. It is very hard on Costello but Dessie has to think for the good of the team overall.

• Advertisement

Jaysis

Advertisement