Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭billyhead

I suppose so. They would be around 5th or 6th in the pecking order. I can't see beyond Ballymun, Ballyboden, Jude's or Kilmacud. I don't think Thomas Davis or Vincent's will win it anyway. Na Fianna could be a good outside bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Na Fianna have been a good watch the last couple of years.

Would love to see them v ballymun.

A tasty local encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

Raheny would have a good starting 15. Darren Byrne and Gavin Ivory have u21 AI medals. Other represented Dublin at minor and u21. They are midtable Division 2 team. I heard Sean MacMahon broke his leg Saturday. That him gone for club championship.

We have lost 10/26 from 2019 AI final panel. Throw in O'Gara, O'Carroll and Daly who played their part 5 in a row. A lot of experience has gone. Philly will more than likely retire. Cooper, Fitzsimons, Rock and McCarthy have another couple years in them. Next couple years is about rebuilding. We got to u20 2019 and 2020 AI finals and need to bring a few of them lads through.

Ballymun should start as favourites if keep everyone fit. My money is on Ballyboden. A lot of good young players coming through and very strong central spine. Basquel brothers very good club players. Kilmacud Crokes very strong 1-9. Very reliant on Paul Mannion up front. Dara Mullen and Dan O'Brien will need to step up. St Vincents are in transition. Na Fianna always flatter to deceive. Conor McHugh, Aaron Byrne and James Doran will need to deliver. St Judes have a good team but don't have firepower to beat the top teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I assume you would held the same viewpoint all the times Keegan, AOS and particularly Cillian O'Connor were subjected to vile abuse by Dublin fans over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Can't disagree with any of that. Ballymun, Crokes, Boden, will take some beating and any of them could beat the others if they hit top form.

I think Na Fianna and Raheny have it in them to cause an upset but I don't see the depth there to take them all the way.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I looked up that minor Dublin team from 2011 that lost to Tipp (Jayus it was some team looking at it in hindsight!)

R O’Hanlon 6; G Hannigan 6, R McDaid (Capt) 7, R Real 8; E Lowndes 6, J Small 7, J McCaffrey 7; P O’Higgins 8, E O’Conghaile 6; C Costello 6, C Kilkenny 9, G Ivory 7; S Fulham 6, P Mannion 7, C Meaney 7. Subs: D Campbell 8 for Meaney (39), D Byrne 7 for Hannigan (inj, 53), N Scully for Fulham (59).

But Raheny still had three lads starting in it even though the competition was fierce. I always think Rutherson Real has to have to coolest name in Gaelic Football as well.

If McMahon is out that is big blow for Raheny, they are the type of team that need everyone fit and a bit of luck to go their way.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jayus, I didn't know it was that many gone!

I would take two or three new young lads with a bit of go and buzz about them. Fearless types. I remember the lift Jayo and Keith Galvin gave that 95 team. Jayo in particular, just give the team a bit of a spark again. It all seems very flat now.

I always have a soft spot for St Judes because of the way they play. They get the last ounce out of their team and have a system geared around Kevin Mc. I really admire the tactics. The sum is greater than the parts. Well coached.

One bookie has it as follows -

Ballymun (favs) 7/4

Then in the following order Boden, 4/1 Crokes 4/1, Na Fianna 6/1, Judes 8/1, Vincents 10/1, Castleknock and Raheny 20/1,

https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-club-football-championship/winner

• Advertisement

Raheny had 6 lads on Dublin minor panel in 2011. CJ Heapes, Sean Byrne and Joe Dowling were on panel. Brian Fenton was that age group but missed due to injury. His fellow club man Paddy O'Higgins won 2 AI 21s but then moved to England. Don't think would have had pace or mobility for senior intercounty.

Pat Spillane son playing with St Judes this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

The only hope is that the embarrassment of this happening in a marquee game will force the GAA to upgrade the officiating tools to deal with it and not appointing refs who simply don't have the temperament to apply the rules in big games.

This part I can agree with. If Lane never gets to ref another match it would be a start and something everybody would be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I will never have a soft spot for Judes after they subjected us (Liffey Gaels) to quite a hammering in 1993. I genuinely have irrationally hated them since that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I watched that in Chaplin's (Tipp bar) before making my way to HQ. Best day of my sporting life.

Tickets up for sale for the hurling finals if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I dont get to post that much so apologies for delay in getting back to you.

The video doesn't need to be edited to portray something slightly different. We see photos often compressed to show a big crowd at an event to boost popularity when if fact there are not many at it. The stills I saw during the week, and the one been used to blacken Small were from the end of the impact. The physics of the collision are important to note. From what I took from what was explained to me, Basically Small being as big as he is made this look worse for him. He was in upright after impact while O'Donoghue who didnt see it coming could not brace himself to take impact so Smalls shoulder came up and ended up connecting with his jaw. I dont think Small acted maliciously or with intent to injure the player. I would have had more of an issue with McCarthys tackle.

I hope like every genuine GAA supporter O'Donohue makes a speedy and full recovery.

Player welfare is vital at every level from juvenile to senior. Like you said dirty sly strokes have to be taken out of the game without sanitizing the game. There will always be incidental collisions and by it nature some heavy hits and impacts. It is very hard to get balance right. Example can David Moran shoulder Eoin Murchan? Moran 6..4 Murchan about 5..9 same for Brian Fenton shouldering anyone 5..8 or 9. In theory yes but in reality no without the smaller player possibly getting injured. The bulking up of players over the last decade is I believe a huge problem and has also led to serious injuries. Thankfully Jack McCaffrey has made a stance on it and hopefully more will follow.

Players getting bigger is not really the issue. I copped a fairly similar shoulder many moons ago. I was mid turn with the ball when I got hit and the force spun me round into it even more. Had a broken nose and two black eyes for my troubles but it was in no way a dirty hit. Sometimes the bigger man and physics go against you. It's rare enough thankfully.

Player welfare pops up every now again after a game like that involving us but only if it's us dishing it out. I remember when we were routinely having seven bells knocked out of us until the battle of Omagh. Then and only then did something need to be done and bans were handed out. It's been a common theme for years now.

• Advertisement

Anyhow, went along to the Na Fianna Boden game this evening. Wasn't a great day for the aul ground hurling but enjoyed it all the same. Boden showed great heart to come back after halftime but Na Fianna just had toouch for them. Some very good performances on show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,224 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If Diarmuid Connolly had done what O'Shea did, he would already have a six month ban.

I agree that we have a forwards problem. There should only be one space for Rock and Costello, neither of them contribute enough from general play to be included as a non-freetaker, Rock is too static and Costello is too flaky. As Rock is the far better freetaker, it should be him unless injury/form. O'Callaghan, Kilkenny, Rock and Scully are the four nailed on forwards, but beyond that, there is little quality. O'Gara, Connolly, Andrews, McMenamin, the Brogans, Mannion and Flynn were all better than the current other options. 8 players gone who are all better than the Basquels, Small and Costello. Maybe Bulger and Aaron Byrne can step up, but I am doubtful. We need to find some more.

The other big problem is the lack of a partner for Fenton. Using McCarthy there takes from the half-back line, using Howard there takes from the half-forward line. They are stop-gap options, and we need to find a more permanent solution. Comerford will come good, but the backline is the least of our problems, we are not letting in huge scores, Murchan, McMahon are the future of that defence.

The reason Mayo had a behaviour and values coach is that they needed one. Their record over the last decade demonstrates that.

To be fair, Ballymun may need one too.

I have seen some filth in my days playing and watching. Looking back some lads good players and nice away from the game should have never been let inside a ground. Funnily one or two went on to become decent referees. I have a mouth full of false teeth, well 5) Not a dirty belt at the time just par for the course for a forward to expect a few belts. If it happened now I think a lot would end up forking out quite a few €uro.

I dont go to many games now but was surprised at how lads had bulked up. Young lads spending to much time in the gym and I think there comes a macho mentality with it which is not good for the game. They are in a lot of cases expected to make big hits to go with the bulk and if the dont they get stick from their own sideline.

From my experience of watching Ballymun they are decent on the field. Tough but not dirty in my opinion. But hey, give a dog a bad name......

Only said "may". As with Mayo, reputation may be the issue, but I fully accept that Mayo need a values and behaviours coach.

Oh, there's definitely an element of some teams bulking young players up too much. However, you need a bit of size (not talking about body builder size here) to help protect yourself and the ball but not at the expense of skills coaching. At underage levels it's often true that a good big lad will get the nod over a more skillful small lad.

I don't think we can get rid of it nor that we should really but a balance needs to be found.

• Advertisement

Also McHugh from Na Fianna needs to be given more game time.

Advertisement