Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

Likewise with the Leaf 24, it's a donkey by EV standards but I've only been beaten off the line once and that was by a Golf GTI

I did like the line about how the acceleration "wasn't relevant" to the masses. It's not wrong but it seemed a bit petty

How did that seem petty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How did that seem petty ?

I dunno, it's just sort of like saying "this is better but we've decided our customers don't care". Surely that's up to the customers, and there's a lot of folks who still care about 0-100 times when they rarely go above 60.

They could have said something positive around both like "ID.4 and Model Y acceleration better than combustion equivalent"

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I dunno, it's just sort of like saying "this is better but we've decided our customers don't care". Surely that's up to the customers, and there's a lot of folks who still care about 0-100 times when they rarely go above 60.

They could have said something positive around both like "ID.4 and Model Y acceleration better than combustion equivalent"

I didn't take it as petty, it's legitimate to point out that mass market hatchbacks and crossovers, don't need the acceleration of a supercar to be viable.

Save that for the GTX version

The I.D 4 with base motor probably the same as the id.3 will be weak in my opinion but most I would think anyone coming from a 1.6-2 litre diesel will be quite happy, this is what I meant. Most people of small suv/crossovers in Ireland would not have a 0-100 of less than an average of around 9.9 seconds if not more.

This is why VW are going to make a dual motor AWD version for those who want power, they will have to pay probably 70 K for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

The I.D 4 with base motor probably the same as the id.3 will be weak in my opinion but most I would think anyone coming from a 1.6-2 litre diesel will be quite happy, this is what I meant. Most people of small suv/crossovers in Ireland would not have a 0-100 of less than an average of around 9.9 seconds if not more.

This is why VW are going to make a dual motor AWD version for those who want power, they will have to pay probably 70 K for it.

Yes a good 2.0TDI is comparabale

ID3 from what ive seen is 0-160km/h in 20 secs or so, that's about BMW 520D pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

3 years free charging in US - could this ever happen in Europe ?

https://insideevs.com/news/445048/id4-3-years-unlimited-charging-electrify-america/

cannco253 wrote: »

https://insideevs.com/news/445048/id4-3-years-unlimited-charging-electrify-america/

It's possible, the ID.3 got free charging up to 2 years/€600/2000kWh whichever comes first.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave a similar offer with the ID.4

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Charging is incredibly cheap in the US. You can use a Tesla Super charger and full the car from 20-80 And the cost is typically $1-$2 in total.

Most cities in the US have free changing as well. Where I grew up, the city has solar panels over all schools/ car parks/ etc and created their own solar power company. Every citizen in the city gets heavily discounted or free electricity too. It’s also a heavily Republican city, just so you don’t give undue credit to the other party...

ID.4 livestream today at 16.00 Irish time, can't wait :D

• Advertisement

id.4 will be a huge success for VW, could even be my next EV. But not so sure, depends on spec and performance + cost.

Ok I dropped out of the live stream already too much American bullsh1t.

It's already over, nothing earth shattering in terms of news

1. Price in the US is $40k before incentives
    2. There'll be an ID.4 1st edition with 12" touchscreen and fancy alloys
    3. AWD version coming spring 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

So basically a bigger ID3 with pretty much the same interior.
    ID3 owners will be happy they're not missing out on anything and potential Enyaq owners will have nothing to be jealous of and will enjoy that extra cash in their pockets.
    Seeing both now if I was too get one I'd certainly be getting the Enyaq.

Ps Autogefuhl have their video up already.

lafors wrote: »
    ID3 owners will be happy they're not missing out on anything and potential Enyaq owners will have nothing to be jealous of and will enjoy that extra cash in their pockets.

The interior did look a bit higher quality than ID.3 and personally I think the Enyaq interior isn't great, the ID series looks a lot more futuristic

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

christ - the yanks are unwatchable

car looks great though, I can't see how they don't sell absolutely tons of them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The interior did look a bit higher quality than ID.3 and personally I think the Enyaq interior isn't great, the ID series looks a lot more futuristic

It looks like they've improved the quality of the materials in the ID.4 the interior design is very similar to the ID.3 but the change in quality should answer a lot of the ID.3 concerns.

drumm23 wrote: »
    christ - the yanks are unwatchable

car looks great though, I can't see how they don't sell absolutely tons of them

I nearly switched off when your man with the cap was talking garbage. Luckily my son was screaming at me at the time so I didn't have to listen to any of it :D

It was certainly fairly understated compared to other EV reveals, normally they have a few talking heads from the company yammering on about various topics

lafors wrote: »

From what I've seen and heard the id.4 will have much better interior with much nicer seats, nice dash plastics, door plastics etc.

liamog wrote: »
    It looks like they've improved the quality of the materials in the ID.4 the interior design is very similar to the ID.3 but the change in quality should answer a lot of the ID.3 concerns.

Yes the interior pics I've seen are far nicer than the id.3. nicer plastics and fabrics.

• Advertisement

It's already over, nothing earth shattering in terms of news

1. Price in the US is $40k before incentives
    2. There'll be an ID.4 1st edition with 12" touchscreen and fancy alloys
    3. AWD version coming spring 2021

Yep pretty much what the vw salesman told me, will cost 40k basic which they expect most id3+ owners to swap over to rather than pay that for an id.3.

40 K Euro's is probably correct after grant, vrt relief and after extortion tax, aka, VAT is applied.

AWD will be ridiculously expensive for only 100 hp more, that's a joke actually.

Yes the interior pics I've seen are far nicer than the id.3. nicer plastics and fabrics.

I'm gonna guess that's the max trim level, there'll no doubt be more 'budget' interiors

I'm gonna guess that's the max trim level, there'll no doubt be more 'budget' interiors

Most likely but I'd say the basic would be better than the id3.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

https://www.carwow.co.uk/volkswagen/news/4493/vw-id4-suv-price-specs-release-date

"The VW ID.4 comes with the same 77kWh battery capacity as range-topping versions of the smaller VW ID.3. It’ll do 320 miles between charges, which is 20 miles less than the ID.3 can manage – partly because the ID.4 is bigger and heavier.

Didn't know about the 100mph top-speed limiter on the ID.4. Is this the same for the ID.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thought every electric car was limited to 160kms...

Edit: I thought but I’m definitely wrong, lol

https://www.carwow.co.uk/volkswagen/news/4493/vw-id4-suv-price-specs-release-date

"The VW ID.4 comes with the same 77kWh battery capacity as range-topping versions of the smaller VW ID.3. It’ll do 320 miles between charges, which is 20 miles less than the ID.3 can manage – partly because the ID.4 is bigger and heavier.

Didn't know about the 100mph top-speed limiter on the ID.4. Is this the same for the ID.3?

Oh, I didn't realise the id4 comes standard with 77 Kwh battery ?

Can't see it cost 40K then in Ireland even for the basic model.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Oh, I didn't realise the id4 comes standard with 77 Kwh battery ?

Can't see it cost 40K then in Ireland even for the basic model.

It’s not far off it to be fair. Starting around 44500 including metallic after grants.

Edit and that’s not the basic, that’s a similar First Edition with a pretty high spec as standard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

That’s much better looking than the iD3. The iD3 looks like a elongated Up! but the iD4 looks like a much better fit for the design. But yeah the Enyaq will likely kill it if it’s coming in 5k less pound for pound.

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    It’s not far off it to be fair. Starting around 44500 including metallic after grants.

Edit and that’s not the basic, that’s a similar First Edition with a pretty high spec as standard

That's pretty good then with 77 Kwh, think though 8.5 seconds 0-60 or probably 8.8 seconds 0-100 would be a tad slow for me.

They have a good battery cooling system so can't understand the low DC Kw for 77 Kwh.

Advertisement