Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Amazon's a reasonable shout as an acquirer -- they've already invested in Rivian, not averse to huge capital expenditure, the semi could complement their expanding logistics ambitions, and autonomous driving could help solve the last mile in delivery too.

Still more likely they remain independent -- Musk doesn't have any problem raising money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    I could have got an S85 very desirable spec (AP, 7-seats, dual charger, air suspension, with several years Tesla full CPO warrranty remaining) on Irish 142 reg for €40k, but this was several thousand more than I was willing to pay for it. They will come down quite a bit before this time next year, I'd say.

Would you buy a RWD model S though?

those non-D old Tesla’s cost a lot in (expensive) tyres - and if the internet is to be believed they burn through them VERY quickly, given the car weight and instant torque on those back wheels.

Save on dino-juice, but spend it all on rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

sk8board wrote: »
    Would you buy a RWD model S though?

Sure. I actually don't really like AWD. Takes the spirit out of driving. And in this country you don't need it either.

The cost of tyres would be the least of my worries if I bought an aging out of warranty Tesla Model S :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

4 year old cars are hardly aging!

im tempted to go for a model s, 2015 with AP1. nicer looking imo, has all the agdgets required, autonomous drive is a LONG way off, im sure i will end up with another tesla by then.

free supercharging for life, obv an 85d would be the minimum to go for im guessing.

motorway trips would be nice with the free supercharging.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    4 year old cars are hardly aging!

Generally I would agree with that. But first generation Tesla Model S were poorly build with poor reliability, many needing eye wateringly expensive parts replaced. Now they were all under warranty so didn't cost the owner anything, but the 4+ year old cars are now out of warranty. That would worry me

That said battery and drivetrain are under warranty for 8 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Haven't made the change to any eV yet, personally I expect battery prices not capacities to plunge in comparison to a semiconductor nm tech switch. So as more eV battery fabs come online the prices will tank. Some research show huge fabs been constructed in China Europe japan Taiwan and US. Once they start hitting the market in 18 months I can't see 50k cars as competitive. Small eV hatches 35 - 40 kW should be around 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

unkel wrote: »
    I feel an early Model S is overpriced at this stage. 5, nearly 6 years old, with asking prices of €50k, no thanks

For €30k, maybe.

I'm waiting. Not very patiently, but waiting anyway :p

I am waiting with you. There has to be a drop on the way one the model 3 is available in the uk.

£25k for an AP1 is my trigger.

I don't really know what my trigger is. I would have gone €37k for the 7-seater AP1 high spec model on Irish 142 plate with several years of Tesla full warranty left a few weeks ago

No warranty (except drivetrain) 7-seater AP1 don't care about the rest of spec from the UK I guess including an unfair but realistic €2k VRT would mean GBP25k = EUR28k + 2k VRT = EUR30k

I'm with you there on your GBP25k so. Slightly more if I was confident I could successfully fight the VRT payment and get a full refund. No VRT is due after all on EVs worth (OMSP) less than EUR35k in Ireland

I guess we will have to wait either way, jhegarty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Tuned in via YouTube and it was pretty interesting investor event last night. Self driving feature complete sometime in 2019(*) and launching fleetwide "in 2020(*)" for any cars with AP computer version 3 which is 21 times faster than the currently shipping Nvidia AP2 computer. Cars made after November 2016 are all compatible with AP3 computer so Tesla will potentially have a robotaxi fleet of 1 million cars by that time. Legislation is lagging behind so needs to be addressed first. Musk drives the latest development versions of full self drive and summon and admitted that "they are not ready for deployment quite yet" but that they operate on totally different level from the competition and once the product is ready it will be able drive on any road (or other drivable surfaces) anywhere on earth.

A not so subtle dig to Audi SUV's efficiency. "Oh E-tron... etron, if you speak French you get it". And that 2012 Model S 85 has still longer range than the next best competitor in 2019.

Lots of questions from the investors about negative publicity and Elon seemed a bit lost on how to deal with it. Bloomberg was mentioned, i.e. Musk should have a chat with him. Also somebody from the odeon suggested a Tesla myth rebuttal page which was received well. Marketing is pointless as it's wasting money and Tesla sells any vehicles they can manufacture regardless. The same reason was given about moving to Indian market: too much bureaucracy for what it's worth. Can't currently make enough cars to serve the other markets.

More global factories a key to cater for the demand and to shorten the time from manufacture to money in due to long delivery times to international markets as well as to combat import duties and taxes. Europe site will be next but location is not selected yet. He hinted something about Germany I think. It's balancing act as expanding too rapidly will lead the company running out of money but they will have to expand rapidly enough to cater for the global markets. The Chinese GF building itself has now been completed and the process installation is on the way.

Tesla won't be able launch more models before manufacturing is sorted out. Both battery cell and vehicle/battery pack capacity needed to launch both Model Y and the Semi. Pickup Truck will be revealed by the end of the summer and can do anyting than a F150 can do but better. Model Y according to Musk has market potential of 290% over the Model 3 which sounds about right. There are lots of customers who need more seats or a hatchback for a dog etc. etc. He said that they have a conservative estimation of Model Y volume production by end of 2020 but likely before that sometime in next summer.

Musk seem to still be burning the candle from both ends. The delivery of facts and projection was typical Musk genius style. Love or loathe. I have been a fan since Model X lauch event.

(*) Elon time so there could be a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

In relation to GF China, finished means just the very small portion they are using for 3 production? They surely have not build that big yoke from the render with the tapered corners in 6 months?

• Advertisement

jusmeig wrote: »
    In relation to GF China, finished means just the very small portion they are using for 3 production? They surely have not build that big yoke from the render with the tapered corners in 6 months?

Musk mentioned that the factory building itself has been completed and that it has a yearly capacity of half a million cars or a bit more which would be currently 23% (I think that was the number) of the total Chinese BEV market. One of the questions was that will that be enough for China and the answer was that Tesla may have to build another factory in some other place than Shanghai in China due to the logistics (again). Nothing was mentioned about further building work needed in Shanghai, just the assembly lines under construction now.

Model 3 will be initial product and as communicated before I suspect the cars will be shipped not only to China but other regions too until the local giga factories have been built to Europe and other locations. And moving lots of Model 3 production in China will free space in Fremont for production of new cars like the Model Y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

samih wrote: »

Musk mentioned that the factory building itself has been completed and that it has a yearly capacity of half a million cars or a bit more which would be currently 23% (I think that was the number) of the total Chinese BEV market. One of the questions was that will that be enough for China and the answer was that Tesla may have to build another factory in some other place than Shanghai in China due to the logistics (again). Nothing was mentioned about further building work needed in Shanghai, just the assembly lines under construction now.

Model 3 will be initial product and as communicated before I suspect the cars will be shipped not only to China but other regions too until the local giga factories have been built to Europe and other locations. And moving lots of Model 3 production in China will free space in Fremont for production of new cars like the Model Y.

Could they do European production in China?

Surely cheaper than doing it in the US?

Mike9832 wrote: »

Makes sense to ship them from the location that has lowest import duties. Not sure how US/China compare in that respect but the production cost will be somewhat cheaper in Shanghai both due to cheaper labour and more optimised production due to learnings from US factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Elon has said that won't happen, so unless he changes his mind I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Elon has said that won't happen, so unless he changes his mind I don't see it happening.
    And of course Elon is not known to be volatile. :pac::D

ELM327 wrote: »
    And of course Elon is not known to be volatile. :pac::D

Even so I don't see it happening. By the time the Chinese GF is up and running properly, which will take many months, Tesla may be building a GF in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I think Volvo makes S90 in China so it may be beneficial. It could make delivery of custom models faster, as there is decent ground link to Europe.

there's not a hope that the autonomous driving will happen in the next 5 years surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

there's not a hope that the autonomous driving will happen in the next 5 years surely?
    I would almost bet my house on it. Have you seen the Tesla Driver UK videos on youtube? Autopilot seems to struggle on anything but ideal driving conditions (i.e motorways, dual carraigeways etc).
    Even the latest video of Advanced summon doesnt look promising. It drives in a straight line from where it was parked to where the driver is standing, driving across other parking spots etc.
    How they can say FSD is next year is beyond me.

I think they will be on HW5 before FSD fully comes in.

• Advertisement

Why are you so sure? The dev builds of these cars have been driving autonomously for years.

Why are you so sure? The dev builds of these cars have been driving autonomously for years.

On known roads though.
    They could do full autonomy now from "on ramp to off ramp" (ie NOA with no prompts) but not on country lanes etc.

Fully guided driver assists will be here by end of year able to cope with 99.999% of scenarios, but the ability to be 100% confident 'hands off' will take a lot longer

On known roads though.
    They could do full autonomy now from "on ramp to off ramp" (ie NOA with no prompts) but not on country lanes etc.

Fully guided driver assists will be here by end of year able to cope with 99.999% of scenarios, but the ability to be 100% confident 'hands off' will take a lot longer

Autopilot isn't based on knowing the roads but on machine learning.

On known roads though.

Ive no idea what the test roads are. Id not worry about the tech being ready, its the miles of red tape and legislation that's the issue.
    If an autonomous car can handle 99% of situations, it's still an awful lot safer than a drunk driver :)

I'm contemplating a model S with AP1, just because I didn't see the autonomy realistically from a legal point of view being ready in the next few years.

I wonder if in fact they WILL be able to retrofit the AP3 to odler cars with some swap down the line, by the time its actually ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Pure AI?

lol

Only this year could AI beat gamers at starcraft

Still games it can't beat human's at

Pure AI?

lol

Only this year could AI beat gamers at starcraft

Still games it can't beat human's at

Starcraft is much more complicated than driving :)
    Planes have been taking off and landing themselves for years, are you afraid of flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Mupchease wrote: »
    Everybody seams to forget Tesla isn’t just a company that sells cars.

the solar roof is really just a joke, they cant and havent delivered.

Tesla is basically a very small electric car company, with add on notions.

The car models I find are look a little old looking to , the styling needs to be updated, i.e. new models are needed.

the solar roof is really just a joke, they cant and havent delivered.

Tesla is basically a very small electric car company, with add on notions.

The car models I find are look a little old looking to , the styling needs to be updated, i.e. new models are needed.

The solar roof is being rolled out in 8 states. That's version 3 of the roof. It's a work in progress.

• Advertisement

I understand how it is based, but the fact remains that at this moment the tech beyond well lined roads is not capable.

Advertisement