Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Considering he has earned $2.6 million since 2017, so over a million after costs and tax and that's excluding endorsements - he's not broke anyway! I suppose he gets criticised like any professional sportsperson does, and I'm sure he aspires to more than scraping by (in professional golf terms).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dublin49

His achilles heel is definitely day 4 when he makes the cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

Back on the Korn Ferry Tour this week. Shot a bogey free 66 in the 2nd round to move up to 7th spot

First time in a long time he's had a consistent round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Just 3 off the lead going into the last round. Tied 4th. Would be great if he coukd shoot the lights out tomorrow and bag a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

Just 3 off the lead going into the last round. Tied 4th. Would be great if he coukd shoot the lights out tomorrow and bag a win.

Big big test for Seamie. Would love to see him cross this particular rubicon.

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Big big test for Seamie. Would love to see him cross this particular rubicon.

He has won on this tour before, well when it was called web.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Power was due to play in the PGA’s Zurich Classic this week but has withdrawn due to testing positive for Covid-19

Zach Sucher takes his place now. Stupid format competition anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

callaway92 wrote: »
    Power was due to play in the PGA’s Zurich Classic this week but has withdrawn due to testing positive for Covid-19

Zach Sucher takes his place now. Stupid format competition anyway.

We complain about same old stroke play week in week out and a lot of same courses on PGA tour. We complain about Matchplay. We have people complaining about this. It is different and sponsors should be proud to stump up a lot of money for an event that gives 0 world ranking points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    We complain about same old stroke play week in week out and a lot of same courses on PGA tour. We complain about Matchplay. We have people complaining about this. It is different and sponsors should be proud to stump up a lot of money for an event that gives 0 world ranking points.

But it’s garbage.

• Advertisement

Seamus has picked up a lot of valuable FedEx points in this competition in past

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

OEP wrote: »
    Seamus has picked up a lot of valuable FedEx points in this competition in past

i had the same thought. tough break.

Seamus just shot -8 in a qualifier for the Wells Fargo this week. He has the clubhouse lead but there are a lot of scores still to come in.

He will have to wait a few hours for all rounds to be completed but he would be incredibly unlucky to miss out with that score.

paulos53 wrote: »
    Seamus just shot -8 in a qualifier for the Wells Fargo this week. He has the clubhouse lead but there are a lot of scores still to come in.

He will have to wait a few hours for all rounds to be completed but he would be incredibly unlucky to miss out with that score.

Where do you follow that? Monday qualifiers are notorious for crazy scores but you'd think -8 would do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Where do you follow that? Monday qualifiers are notorious for crazy scores but you'd think -8 would do it

This Twitter account is pretty good:
    https://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1389316504412360707?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Great scoring from Seamus yesterday and Quail Hollow is a course he likes. Would love to see him go well this week.

Motivator wrote: »
    Would love to see him go well this week.

you'd imagine he absolutely needs to...

serious talent to put up a score like that.

tropics001 wrote: »
    you'd imagine he absolutely needs to...

serious talent to put up a score like that.

His talent can’t be questioned, he wouldn’t be on the PGA Tour if he didn’t have it. His head is the problem, he can tip along in a round and be playing well and if he makes one error that seems to be it for him and he loses confidence quickly.

His talent can’t be questioned, he wouldn’t be on the PGA Tour if he didn’t have it. His head is the problem, he can tip along in a round and be playing well and if he makes one error that seems to be it for him and he loses confidence quickly.

yep that does seem to be the case of late.

• Advertisement

Bogeyed the last to finish +1, cut is currently E

Bogeyed the last to finish +1, cut is currently E

Cut ended up being +2 so Seamus is in for the weekend. I’d say he thought he blew it on 18.

delighted to see it. swing freely today and post a low number.

(here i am offering advice to a PGA professional)

On Golf Weekly Peter Lawrie said that when you're like Seamus is now and fighting to make cuts, you almost always end up basically a shot either side of the cut mark. So if you're a two or three shots under the cut in the last few holes, you'll make a couple bogeys or if over it, a couple of birdies. Said its horrible, seems to be what Seamus is going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

He's made the cut by 2 strokes, leaderboard is flat, he's only 7 off the lead and 3 shots gained gets him inside to 20. Making the cut at a big tournament like this will be great for his confidence and his profile.

On Golf Weekly Peter Lawrie said that when you're like Seamus is now and fighting to make cuts, you almost always end up basically a shot either side of the cut mark. So if you're a two or three shots under the cut in the last few holes, you'll make a couple bogeys or if over it, a couple of birdies. Said its horrible, seems to be what Seamus is going through.

His situation with his tour status at the moment is horrible. Doesn’t know from one week to the next where he’s going to be playing or if he’ll be playing at all. His caddy also commutes from Ireland, how that works I don’t know, and I remember a few months back he was a reserve and needed someone to withdraw in order to play. He drove 5 hours on the Wednesday evening to get to the course and another player dropped out Thursday morning with an hour left before the cut off for the reserve to get in. Seamus got in and then missed the cut which meant another 5 hour journey home with no paycheck.

Hopefully he goes well over the weekend, makes a few quid and qualifies for next week. The uncertainty surrounding his participation in tournaments must be soul destroying especially when there’s so much pressure on him to perform in the tournaments he does get in to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

His situation with his tour status at the moment is horrible. Doesn’t know from one week to the next where he’s going to be playing or if he’ll be playing at all. His caddy also commutes from Ireland, how that works I don’t know, and I remember a few months back he was a reserve and needed someone to withdraw in order to play. He drove 5 hours on the Wednesday evening to get to the course and another player dropped out Thursday morning with an hour left before the cut off for the reserve to get in. Seamus got in and then missed the cut which meant another 5 hour journey home with no paycheck.

Hopefully he goes well over the weekend, makes a few quid and qualifies for next week. The uncertainty surrounding his participation in tournaments must be soul destroying especially when there’s so much pressure on him to perform in the tournaments he does get in to.

I've driven 5 hours for a round plenty of times with no chance of a paycheck :pac:

I know everyone's problems are their own but hopefully Seamus can look to the 99.9% positives in his chosen profession. He's made 55k already this year, more than 3million career earnings outside of promotional stuff.

Hes a qualified accountant, so I'll assume he's not living beyond his comfortable means.

I've driven 5 hours for a round plenty of times with no chance of a paycheck :pac:

I know everyone's problems are their own but hopefully Seamus can look to the 99.9% positives in his chosen profession. He's made 55k already this year, more than 3million career earnings outside of promotional stuff.

Hes a qualified accountant, so I'll assume he's not living beyond his comfortable means.

I'm sure he's very happy and definitely not struggling by any means but you can take at least half of that away to tax and expenses.

$55,000 wouldn’t pay for his travel expenses. It costs around $250,000 a year for a tour pro between travel, food etc and that’s not taking into account their coaches and entourage. Yeah he has his sponsorship but don’t forget all of those deals are very much performance related so if he doesn’t perform he doesn’t get paid. Life on tour is a struggle, yes the PGA is more lucrative than the European Tour but the PGA is so competitive to get in the top 125 comfortably you need to earn the guts of $1m in a season. Finau, without winning a tournament, earned $3m in the space of a month at the turn of the year. If Seamus could start qualifying and getting into the top 30 or top 20 in tournaments he’d start earning massive money.

Bouncing around between the Korn Ferry and PGA Tour isn’t ideal. One magic weekend for him and his whole life changes. A strong round tonight and he’s in the mix for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

He really is killing himself off the tee, SG off the tee - 5.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Yeah - that didn't go well ......another day out tomorrow though , Cmon Seamus ,one big solid low round could make a lot of difference for the next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Yeah - that didn't go well ......another day out tomorrow though , Cmon Seamus ,one big solid low round could make a lot of difference for the next few weeks

For confidence I presume you mean, in the current situation it would probably be better to miss the cut than have to face out again tomorrow, either way it's a high level and small margins make the difference

Seamus just chipped in for eagle on the last to shoot a bogey free opening round of 65. Currently 1 off the lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

That was some reward for the risk he took. 260 yards from the rough with a hazard across the front of the green

Wide fairways and big greens according to Harrington. Definitely suits Seamus who is fairly long, and fairly erratic off the tee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Trampas

tobsey wrote: »
    That was some reward for the risk he took. 260 yards from the rough with a hazard across the front of the green

When I was watching on shot tracker I thought he had to lay up as anything not hit right was in the drink. Still don’t think it was the right shot. -5 why ruin a good round

Nobody say anything, right!

Trampas wrote: »
    When I was watching on shot tracker I thought he had to lay up as anything not hit right was in the drink. Still don’t think it was the right shot. -5 why ruin a good round

First round and a good score going, he was obviously full of confidence. If he put it in the water he’d drop 1 shot, 2 at worst. Putting it in the water on day 1 isn’t a tournament ender so good luck to him for going for it. Who knows, it could have been the shot to kick him on and give him the confidence to put together a very good week. I guarantee he won’t be doing it today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Nice finish.. Currently in a tie for 5th

Solid round by seamus tonight to move to -11 and currently tied 5th.

Hopefully we might get to see hom in action tomorrow.

• Advertisement

1 bogey in 36 holes and he recovered well after it with 2 birdies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Great follow up to the superb 1st round.

I was hoping Seamus would be out tonight with Jordon Spieth because at least we might get to see him but he’s out with Charl Schwartzel who’s playing well lately so hopefully playing with a Major winner who’s back in form will inspire Seamus. This is probably his best chance at a win so far I believe. Take Spieth out of it and he’s got nobody to fear really.

It’s just a pity that he’s had his best two rounds ever on the PGA, only dropped one shot in 36 holes and is 6 behind going into day 3. If he can somehow pull it off and win this, it would be life changing for him. A win would get him a two year tour exemption, he’d get into the tour championship and he’d finish well inside the 125 mark for the season. He’d get into the PGA next week and oh yes, he’d bank $1.4m.

A life changer in so many ways, best of luck to him.

He's already 6 off the lead and it'll be a crazy low score that will win this so his chances of winning are quite low but a top 5 or something like that would be great for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I was hoping Seamus would be out tonight with Jordon Spieth because at least we might get to see him but he’s out with Charl Schwartzel who’s playing well lately so hopefully playing with a Major winner who’s back in form will inspire Seamus. This is probably his best chance at a win so far I believe. Take Spieth out of it and he’s got nobody to fear really.

It’s just a pity that he’s had his best two rounds ever on the PGA, only dropped one shot in 36 holes and is 6 behind going into day 3. If he can somehow pull it off and win this, it would be life changing for him. A win would get him a two year tour exemption, he’d get into the tour championship and he’d finish well inside the 125 mark for the season. He’d get into the PGA next week and oh yes, he’d bank $1.4m.

A life changer in so many ways, best of luck to him.

He’s 6 behind someone who won a fortnight ago. Power has shown nothing to suggest he’s ready to win on the PGA Tour. A top 10 would be a great result for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This tournament could be the biggest gig of his season, he needs to make the most of it. There's $1.4M prize money and 500 FedEx points going.

Compare that to the other PGA Tour events he will probably play in this season - the Barbasol in mid-July is the same week as the British Open and the Barracuda in early August is the same week as the FedEx St. Jude WGC so Seamus should make the field but each of them has just $630K in prize money and 300 FedEx Cup points.

There's only six of the current FedEx Cup top 20 playing this week so it's his best chance to make some money and FedEx points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Nice eagle from the bunker on 14

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Great stuff from Seamus,hopefully a decent finish now.

The birdie at the last keeps him in the mix for tomorrow. As others said earlier in the week, one big Sunday could change everything for him. If he pulled a win out of the bag suddenly he can play golf without having to worry for the next two years about a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Neewollah

Great back 9 from Seamus. Been well positioned a couple of times going into the final round in recent years but has fell away on most occasions. Fingered crossed tomorrow he holds his own and gets a top 5 at least. I think the win might be slightly beyond him the way field in lying but anything is possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement