Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

expensive double bogey, par would have seen him 7th on his own finished T13.

could be huge when he looks back on the year....

big Fedex ranking points effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Big expectations on here.. This is a serious result for seamus fair dues. Card nearly secured

Progess

kieran. wrote: »
    Big expectations on here.. This is a serious result for seamus fair due. Card nearly secured

Progess

I meant fedex ranking points in terms of keeping his card! - not making the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Trampas wrote: »
    Why are people surprised he wasn’t on tv?

Week in week out pga tour concentrates on top of leaderboard and top pros.

Vast majority want to see their favourite players and not the top 10

I hate it but what can we do. Top players drive ratings and tv revenue (ads)

He was in the top 10 and making birdies was my point.

First Up wrote: »
    But they are in top 10 and are well known. It really isn't that hard to figure out.

Not hard to figure out at all. Of course they will show top ranked players but they also generally show top 10 or players making a move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Another pi$$ poor Sunday for Seamus. He's making cuts tho which is a big improvement on only a few weeks ago.

Talent is there, his head needs a workout though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Another good week for him, serious turn around from a few weeks ago when he looked dead and buried still has a great shout of keeping his card.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Remind me wrote: »
    Ah you’re back with another absolutely pointless contribution....

"Remind me" why i didn't ignore you earlier?

Nope, can't think of a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kieran. wrote: »
    Big expectations on here.. This is a serious result for seamus fair dues. Card nearly secured

Serious? He's ranked 101 this morning, it's still early May and players pick up FedEx Cup points for the majors and WGC events - most of which Seamus will not be playing in.

He's a long way from securing his card for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

coylemj wrote: »
    Serious? He's ranked 101 this morning, it's still early May and players pick up FedEx Cup points for the majors and WGC events - most of which Seamus will not be playing in.

He's a long way from securing his card for 2020.

Yes - he probably needs around 110 more points to secure his card. And considering the last 3 weeks have probably been the best in his career so far, he still has some work to do. Hopefully he can somewhat maintain this level but there will more than likely be some regression to a more "normal" level for Seamus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Anyone got Nick Bradley's phone number?

GreeBo wrote: »
    "Remind me" why i didn't ignore you earlier?

Nope, can't think of a reason.

You come out with some s**te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Jaysus, tough crowd on this forum.

Not a golf fan but took an interest in Seamus after he did some interviews on Newstalk at the end of the last couple of seasons.

He seems a great example of small incremental improvements - which I always like.

Disappointing he wasn’t able to see it out last night but great to see him at the sharp end. I’m sure it’s a better pressure to be feeling rather than scratching away for a tie of 50th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Jaysus, tough crowd on this forum.

Not a golf fan but took an interest in Seamus after he did some interviews on Newstalk at the end of the last couple of seasons.

He seems a great example of small incremental improvements - which I always like.

Disappointing he wasn’t able to see it out last night but great to see him at the sharp end. I’m sure it’s a better pressure to be feeling rather than scratching away for a tie of 50th.

Yeah would have to agree. Shooting +1 on a tough track like that on Sunday wasn't that bad.

Looking at his last month I'd say Seamus is more than happy at his move up through the fed ex rankings after his start to the year.
    It would be great to see him come over to launch and play without worrying about having to keep fighting to stay in the top 125 back on the pga tour.

It would be great to see him come over to launch and play without worrying about having to keep fighting to stay in the top 125 back on the pga tour.

+1 I'm sure he'd have no problem getting a sponsor's invite to Lahinch but there is a $6.4M tournament that week (3M Open) in Minnesota which would be hard for Seamus to miss.

Especially when you consider that a lot of the leading players on the PGA Tour will be taking that week (July 4-7) off because they want a break before playing in the following events on consecutive weeks..... (1) Scottish Open (2) the 148th Open in Portrush and (3) the WGC FedEx-St. Jude. The WGC coming straight after the Open in Portrush is a problem for the Irish Open for that reason.

So Seamus has to weigh up the fact that there wil be lots of dosh and FedEx points to to play for in Minnesota and a lot of the top 50 boys away, it would be hard to skip that event when you're outside the top 100 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

I heard an interview with him around October/November where he explained he was tweaking bits and pieces with his swing and that it would take him a few months to get comfortable.

It seems he’s finally getting to grips with things this season but I would worry he’s making his money too late in the season. He probably needs another $250,000 in earnings to keep his card. He cut it unbelievably close the last two years. Would love to see him keep his current form going. Fair play to him and good luck to him.

It brings it home when you see the media attention, the corporate sponsorships and endorsements and the money the top 5 and top 10 guys are bringing home each week compared to the “journeymen”. McIlroys cheque for winning the TPC was more than Seamus had won in his career to date. It’s often easy to forget the guys at the lower end of the scale who are battling each week to make ends meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Elmer Jones

Motivator wrote: »
    I heard an interview with him around October/November where he explained he was tweaking bits and pieces with his swing and that it would take him a few months to get comfortable.

It seems he’s finally getting to grips with things this season but I would worry he’s making his money too late in the season. He probably needs another $250,000 in earnings to keep his card. He cut it unbelievably close the last two years. Would love to see him keep his current form going. Fair play to him and good luck to him.

It brings it home when you see the media attention, the corporate sponsorships and endorsements and the money the top 5 and top 10 guys are bringing home each week compared to the “journeymen”. McIlroys cheque for winning the TPC was more than Seamus had won in his career to date. It’s often easy to forget the guys at the lower end of the scale who are battling each week to make ends meat.

Seamus Power has made over $2 million in his career so far so he's well beyond making ends meet, another season or 2 on the PGA tour and he'll be set for life in his early 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Seamus Power has made over $2 million in his career so far so he's well beyond making ends meet, another season or 2 on the PGA tour and he'll be set for life in his early 30's.

After taxes, caddy/agents fees he's probably banked less than a million of that for himself though.

You'd also have to wonder what the cost of touring is. Can't be cheap?

Certainly making more than ends meet though as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Elmer Jones

After taxes, caddy/agents fees he's probably banked less than a million of that for himself though.

You'd also have to wonder what the cost of touring is. Can't be cheap?

Certainly making more than ends meet though as you say.

I'd say any sponsorship he has covers a fair bit of the expenses involved.

Being a bang average professional golfer these days is a great great life.I'd say it's a long long way removed from Ian Woosnam driving around europe in a camper van and living on baked beans in order to save money.

Being a bang average professional golfer these days is a great great life.I'd say it's a long long way removed from Ian Woosnam driving around europe in a camper van and living on baked beans in order to save money.

But I believe the PGA Tour is a much lonlier place than the European Tour. A top US player is never far from his agent, hairdresser, personal chef, sports psychologist etc. so there isn't all that much camaraderie with the other players.

Driving around Europe in a camper van sounds like much more fun than whizzing around North America in an executive jet and being cocooned inside a doughnut of hangers-on.

• Advertisement

Seamus got a nice write-up in the 'Power Rankings' (players to watch) preview of the AT&T Byron Nelson on the PGA Tour website .....

Seamus Power

Pardon the pun but he's surging. The 32-year-old from Ireland has crafted a career on patented heaters, so this endorsement is all about his T6-T5-T13 burst over the last three weeks.

https://www.pgatour.com/power-rankings/2019/05/06/fantasy-golf-advice-2019-att-byron-nelson.html

Can anyone elaborate on that reference to '.. a career on patented heaters .... '?

coylemj wrote: »
    Seamus got a nice write-up in the 'Power Rankings' (players to watch) preview of the AT&T Byron Nelson on the PGA Tour website .....

Seamus Power

Pardon the pun but he's surging. The 32-year-old from Ireland has crafted a career on patented heaters, so this endorsement is all about his T6-T5-T13 burst over the last three weeks.

https://www.pgatour.com/power-rankings/2019/05/06/fantasy-golf-advice-2019-att-byron-nelson.html

Can anyone elaborate on that reference to '.. a career on patented heaters .... '?

Sounds like they are mixing him up with Stephen Grant maybe? He's not on the PGA Tour obviously but his father has a very successful company that makes boilers I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Think I remember seeing it's around 150k a year in costs to play the pga tour.
    Then u have your taxes on top of that. 2
    million in earnings isn't leaving a lot over 5 seasons i think he has been on tour.

mike12 wrote: »
    Think I remember seeing it's around 150k a year in costs to play the pga tour.
    Then u have your taxes on top of that. 2
    million in earnings isn't leaving a lot over 5 seasons i think he has been on tour.

It's his third year on the PGA tour. He was on the Web.com for 2 years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Sounds like they are mixing him up with Stephen Grant maybe? He's not on the PGA Tour obviously but his father has a very successful company that makes boilers I believe.

“Patented heaters” I think is an American term for a player in good form. The term “heater” is used when a player is on a winning streak in Vegas. Similarly someone who’s a “cooler” is bang out of form.

It’s nothing to do with him selling boilers as far as I know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

OEP wrote: »
    It's his third year on the PGA tour. He was on the Web.com for 2 years before that.

OK thought it was longer, age 32 so he is very late getting on tour, what was he up to before that.

mike12 wrote: »
    OK thought it was longer, age 32 so he is very late getting on tour, what was he up to before that.

He was playing on a mini tour in North Carolina, where he is based. He topped the order of merit on that and then that qualified him for the Web.com.

It's not actually old to get on the tour. Outside of say the top 25 guys (I'm pulling that number from my arse but the point still stands), most players take a good few years of grinding it out on smaller tours before making it onto the PGA tour. You have the likes of Rory, Harrington, Darren Clarke, McDowell and even Lowry, who were exceptional amateurs and made it to the top quite quickly, thats not the norm for the average player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Good round today and will make the cut at least. Another decent weekend and he’ll be well set

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Good round today and will make the cut at least. Another decent weekend and he’ll be well set

Nice round and it looks like he'll be right on the cut mark after a difficult first round. Not as strong as previous few weeks, but still likely to pick up a few FedEx Cup points and strengthen his chances of finishing in the top 125.

• Advertisement

He’s likely to drop a few spots if he finishes in that position.

Will need to move up a few spots over the weekend.

Advertisement