Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Coral Cup - ITV4's Trilogy of Events

Options
  • 21-01-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

I wanted to make a thread for the newest addition to the tour, the Coral Cup, and what it entails for those unaware.

The series starts in two weeks, with the World Grand Prix, then the Players Championship at the start of March, and ending with a brand new tournament, the Tour Championship at the end of March. All three events will air on ITV4.

Here's how each tournament works:

World Grand Prix (4th/Feb-10th/Feb)
    Top 32 ranked players this season (July/2018-3rd/Feb/2019) compete. Best-of-7s the first two rounds, QF-best-of-9s, SF-best-of-11s, finale is a best-of-19. Winner gets £100,000, runner-up gets £40,000. Ronnie is the defending champion, defeating Ding Junhui 10-3, last year.

Players Championship (4th/Mar-10th/Mar)
    Top 16 ranked players this season (July/2018-3rd/Mar/2019) compete. Just like The Masters this is best-of-11s until the finale, which is a best-of-19. This is a fantastic tournament with a similar format to The Masters, featuring the best 16 players in the world. Winner gets £125,000, runner-up gets £50,000. Ronnie is the defending champion, defeating Shaun Murphy 10-4, last year.

Tour Championship (19th/Mar-24th/Mar)
    A new event for the elite players of the season. Only the Top 8 ranked players this season (July/2018-17th/Mar/2019) compete. This event starts with best-of-17s for the Quarter-Finals, Semis are best-of-19s, and the finale is a best-of-25. Winner gets £150,000, runner-up gets £60,000.

Now, how does a player actually win the Coral Cup? The player earning the most overall prize money across the three events will receive the inaugural Coral Cup. There's also a bonus for a player that is able to win all three events, they would have their total prize money boosted from £375,000 to £500,000.

Currently ranked for the season #29-Ding Junhui and #31-Shaun Murphy, both will have to do really well in the German Masters and the World Grand Prix to qualify for the Top 16 and Top 8 events.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

All three events will air on ITV4.

"Somebody's knockin' at your door....somebody's ringin' the bell..."

Looking forward to it. A top 8 tournament seems interesting, like the Masters on steroids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Love the snooker coverage on ITV4, none of this half-arsed BBC red button muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Love the tour championship. Nice format.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It is good to see the return of a best of 19 semi and a best of 25 final, outside of Sheffield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The German Masters finished today, with Kyren Wilson defeating David Gilbert, 9-7, to win his third ranking title. So, after that tournament, this is how the Top 32 are ranked, on the 1-year list:

1. Mark Allen - £353,000
    2. Ronnie O'Sullivan - £220,000
    3. Mark Selby - £218,000
    4. Mark Williams - £201,000
    5. Neil Robertson - £180,500
    6. Judd Trump - £174,500
    7. Kyren Wilson - £161,500
    8. David Gilbert - £157,000
    9. Jack Lisowski - £127,000
    10. Stuart Bingham - £125,500
    11. Joe Perry - £99,000
    12. Jimmy Robertson - £98,225
    13. Stephen Maguire - £98,000
    14. John Higgins - £96,000
    15. Barry Hawkins - £88,000
    16. Martin O'Donnell - £76,500
    17. Ali Carter - £72,500
    18. Ryan Day - £70,500
    19. Noppon Saengkham - £68,000
    20. Mark King - £65,500
    21. Mark Davis - £62,725
    22. Tom Ford - £62,500
    23. Zhao Xintong - £60,500
    24. Ding Junhui - £60,000
    25. Yan Bingtao - £60,000
    26. Matthew Stevens - £58,000
    27. Stuart Carrington - £57,500
    28. Xiao Guodong - £56,600
    29. Yuan Sijun - £55,000
    30. Shaun Murphy - £53,500
    31. Marco Fu - £53,500
    32. Gary Wilson - £48,600

The World Grand Prix starts tomorrow evening, on ITV4 at 6:45pm. Top 32 tournament, #1 plays #32, #2 plays #31, etc.

Round 1:

Mark Allen v Gary Wilson
    Martin O'Donnell v Ali Carter
    Jack Lisowski v Ding Junhui
    David Gilbert v Yan Bingtao
    Neil Robertson v Xiao Guodong
    Jimmy Robertson v Mark Davis
    Stephen Maguire v Mark King
    Mark Williams v Yuan Sijun
    Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy
    John Higgins v Noppon Saengkham
    Joe Perry v Tom Ford
    Judd Trump v Stuart Carrington
    Kyren Wilson v Matthew Stevens
    Stuart Bingham v Zhao Xintong
    Barry Hawkins v Ryan Day
    Ronnie O'Sullivan (defending champion) v Marco Fu

• Advertisement

Ronnie out in Round 1, didn't play terrible, Fu was just the better man on the night. The Allen Wilson match was almost painful to watch after the first two frames....dire stuff.

I don't think Ronnie has ever lost in the first round of a title he was defending before. Crazy. He also hadn't lost a first round match (for events without qualifying rounds) in three years, since the 2016 World Grand Prix.

Today's matches:

1pm
    Mark Williams v Yuan Sijun
    Martin O’Donnell v Ali Carter
    Neil Robertson v Xiao Guodong
    Jimmy Robertson v Mark Davis

7pm
    Judd Trump v Stuart Carrington
    Stephen Maguire v Mark King
    Jack Lisowski v Ding Junhui
    Joe Perry v Tom Ford

I don't think Ronnie has ever lost in the first round of a title he was defending before. Crazy. He also hadn't lost a first round match (for events without qualifying rounds) in three years, since the 2016 World Grand Prix.

Also, what he did in the final frame (taking on a ridiculous red) with a smile on his face wasn't a good sign. Reminded me of the old days where he just wanted to get off the table as quickly as possible when things weren't going his way. I wouldn't be surprised to hear whinging/retirement talk from him before long (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Really good quality match this between Williams and Yuan Sijun. This kid has caught the eye a few times, reluctant to big him up but he’s playing very well this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Neil Robertson suffering from a virus but still played, didn't look well at all today. I think he actually turned green at one point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Trump doesn't look like the ultra composed measured player he was not very long ago in The Masters.

Trump 3, Carrington 3. Final frame decider.

Edit: Trump clinches it. Played some terrible shots and some great shots in the final frame. I just don't think Trump has a level of professional class that all the other dominant players have/had. When things aren't going for him he keeps doing this flashy shot thing. Sometimes it works and more times it doesn't. With his supreme ability I sometimes wonder if he's not getting the right coaching including psychological coaching. Although he won this match I have never seen anyone look so disgusted with their performance after a win in my life.

Does Judd even have a coach? Open to correction but I don’t believe he has or hasn’t for years. I’ve often thought what a Terry Griffiths style figure could do for him but Judd seems like a very stubborn, independent minded individual so is happy to do it all his own way. His career, his choices I guess.

For a sport played so much in the mind it’s always struck me as strange how few pros follow ronnies example and employ a mind coach. Maybe a cost factor for some of them but long term I think it would repay the investment and then some.

Joe, I've no idea. I was a bit confused about this when Judd won the UK masters and his brother was showcased for giving him some support. I've no idea what kind of support though. I would have thought every top player has a coach but now you ask the question I've a mind to think none of them do.

I do think that this is something that is missing in professional snooker. If you compare snooker to any other individual sport like Tennis it does seem to me that the players have very little if any at all professional sports support. When Wilson won the German Masters just last week in the after match interview he talked about his family being his rock. But as a professional sportsperson you can't depend on your family for this.

Davis had Barry Hearn who pushed him, Hendry had Ian Doyle who pushed him, and although they weren't coaches, they were still ppl who influenced and motivated them in a professional capacity.

I have formed the opinion that if Robertson and Murphy(and others) had decent coaching, even just psychological coaching, they might have done a lot better for themselves, rather that being left to do it all by themselves. At the very top level of sport it's never a one man show.

Yes, spot on with all of that. Davis, of course, did hsve the great Frank Callan in his corner, as did hendry and they were obsessive about practice. But there just doesn’t appear to be a rigid culture of it in the game and it’s hard to understand why.

Look how Ronnie reignited his career when he started working with Ray Reardon and then added the “monkey” man to the ticket. And how Mark Allen credits Griffiths with turning him into a regular winner over past couple of seasons. Just seems like a no brainer really to surround yourself with such know how and experience.

Of course I’m not entirely aware of Judds setup but a few things he said in interviews did strike me as odd. Like, he spoke of how great it was to have his brother full time during the uk and spotting balls for him on the practice table. Which had me wondering if he’d been practicing all that time while spotting balls himself which you’d think is just such a basic thing. Seems happy enough with it himself anyway, so who knows really?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Trump clinches it. Played some terrible shots and some great shots in the final frame. I just don't think Trump has a level of professional class that all the other dominant players have/had.

You say that, but the general standard of late has been fairly poor generally speaking. Mark Allen was woeful the other day, Ronnie out in the first round despite having chances, Selby hasn't been dominant in a while, Kyren was very hot/cold in his recent tournament win, Mark Williams (current world champ!) out in the first round, to name but a few.

I actually couldn't help but think last night, there's still no real 'killers' on the table, like prime Ronnie, Hendry, John Higgins, etc.

Trump brings his brother along so he has someone to go to Burger King with, "go get food with", and not feel as isolated stuck in a hotel room alone.

Today's matches:

1pm, (end of Round 1)
    Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy
    John Higgins v Noppon Saengkham
    Kyren Wilson v Matthew Stevens
    David Gilbert v Yan Bingtao

7pm, (Round 2)
    Tom Ford v Judd Trump
    Xiao Guodong v Mark Davis
    Barry Hawkins v Marco Fu
    Stephen Maguire v Yuan Sijun

Rooting for Sean here, love watching him play.

Inviere wrote: »
    Rooting for Sean here, love watching him play.

^^ not off to the best start is Sean. Had a chance to rob that 3rd frame there after two outstanding pots, but then blew it with a black on its spot.

Sean's eight first round exit from a tournament this season, quite alarming statistic.

Wilson beats Stevens after being 3 - 0 down. Came down to the final black where Stevens missed it and left it over the pocket which was unmissable leaving Wilson to go ahead for the first time in the match and take it.

• Advertisement

Sounded harsh at the time but hendry had basically written Matt’s chances off at 3-2 ahead. He wasn’t wrong but how many winning chances did Stephens butcher in the course of the match? Pretty much the story of his career sadly.

Wilsom is quite good at comebacks too rather like Selby. He seems to get fired up in those situations. In the Germam Masters final he had lost something like 6 frames in a row but recovered from 4- 7 down to win it 9 - 7.

The standard in the Trump match there was shockingly bad, for televised Snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The standard in the Stevens v Wilson match was awful.

The standard in the Stevens v Wilson match was awful.

Yes it was dire. It was pissing rain outside today and if it wasn't for that on my day off I would have ditched it. Wilson one could forgive as he just won a ranking event on Sunday but Stevens was awful.

Today's matches:

1pm, (end of Round 2)
    Mark Allen v Ali Carter
    Ding Junhui v David Gilbert
    Mark Selby v Noppon Saengkham
    Kyren Wilson v Stuart Bingham

7pm, (start of Quarter-Finals, best-of-9s)
    Xiao Guodong v Yuan Sijun
    Allen/Carter v Ding/Gilbert

David Gilbert has had an incredible season, ranked in the Top 8 all season, he'll be a "wildcard" of sorts, if he manages to stay in the Top 8 for the Tour Championship. Rooting for him to go all the way in this tournament. Also been really impressed with Yuan Sijun, looking forward to his match with Xiao Guodong.

Other thing to note, in the bottom half of the draw, we could get another Trump/Wilson match in their "rivalry", in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Mark Allen made some show of himself

Another good win for gilbert, whitewashing ding. Definitely had a decent season but was leading MJW 9-5 in the world open final before losing 5 frames in succession and also jettisoned a winning position against wilson in germany last week. Not too many in great form here it seems so may get a chance to go one better this week.

Big fine coming for Allen you’d think, not sure what his problem is today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Strange stuff. Thought that kind of stuff was behind him now.

Advertisement