Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Coral Cup - ITV4's Trilogy of Events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Williams and Trump split their session, 4-4. Robertson won the first two against Selby, who then won the next six to lead 6-2 going into their final session tonight.

If Ronnie wins this tournament he becomes the new official world #1, knocking Selby off his throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

If Ronnie wins this tournament he becomes the new official world #1, knocking Selby off his throne.

A throne he's held for what, 4 years or so? Amazing feat if Ronnie can do it. Imagine, hits #1 ranking spot, wins at the Crucible one last time, and calls it a day at the very top of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Great trolling with the referee assignment.

Edit: not him, nevermind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Black ball finish to Selby Robertson

And Robertson takes it.

There is nothing like a proper length snooker match sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

And Robertson takes it.

There is nothing like a proper length snooker match sometimes

Absolutely. That was hugely enjoyable match, a real grind fest but the tactical side is great to watch sometimes. Epic last frame. Don’t get that with best of 7s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I felt rather sick to see Williams loose that match especially after potting that great all or nothing long red to give himself a great chance to win the frame and match. He was quite clearly over-stretching for that last red and wasn't at all surprised he missed it.

As other have said it's great to see longer matches and comebacks in some matches. I noticed although I may be wrong that there seems to be much less final frame decider's when it's best of 9 or 11 which is a shame.

These multiple session matches outside a final are great to see again, full of drama. Trump wins the decider, and the match 9-8, after being down 8-5 to Williams.

On the other table, Wilson continues to struggle with his form and lost the session 6-2 to Mark Allen. Although, I'd have more faith in a Wilson comeback tonight, than Bingham against Ronnie.

That was another cracking match today. Think all snooker fans are agreed, long form gives you so much better matches.

Only criticism I would offer is this should really be a one table situation with just 8 players. I don’t understand why it isn’t. Also, this is what the uk championship used to be like before they crippled it.

Quite fitting that the final four of this Top 16 tournament are four of the Top 5 players all season. The semi-finalists are the best players of the season.
    Same final four as the Players Championship. Again, quite fitting that the final four of this elite 8 tournament, are the Top 4 ranked players of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Only criticism I would offer is this should really be a one table situation with just 8 players. I don’t understand why it isn’t.

Commercial TV stations dislike it I guess, as there's a huge chance you'll have sessions with only two or three frames.
    Having two matches at once increases the chances there'll be snooker to show. Mixing the start times as they did also meant they were guaranteed a full session of snooker on Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon.

Nothing much can be done once it gets to the semi-finals and final though.

Commercial TV stations dislike it I guess, as there's a huge chance you'll have sessions with only two or three frames.
    Having two matches at once increases the chances there'll be snooker to show. Mixing the start times as they did also meant they were guaranteed a full session of snooker on Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon.

Nothing much can be done once it gets to the semi-finals and final though.

Fair response and I’d definitely accept it up to a point. Tv is essential for the sport, of course, but going down the road of pandering to tv bosses and allowing them control over schedules is a slippery slope imho. That’s a big part of the reason the UK Championship was eviscerated and I’d fear for the worlds too going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

This week so far proves that the longer format makes more exciting and better games, especially when the top players play each other. Great tournament so far,

Trump is seriously purring this afternoon. Seems to revel in playing Ronnie.

Trump is seriously purring this afternoon. Seems to revel in playing Ronnie.
    Yeah, 6-2 to Trump. Not as bad as the 7-1 lead in The Masters, but still an uphill battle for Ronnie tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Bi*ch of a kick there for Ronnie in Frame 11. Really fancied him to clear up and pull it back to 5 - 6 but 4 - 7 as it stands to Trump, as a result of that kick I feel. Ronnie defiantly playing better than the afternoon session and Trumps highest break is still only 63 so not sure how this one is going to go. Could be very close.

Btw, does McManus have a nickname? If not I propose Alan 'the value' McManus.

Dennis Taylor anyway calls him 'angles' McManus a lot. You have to be in the humour for him. He can bang on a bit. Real Trump v Ronnie style frame here currently..... Balls tied to the cushion, nip and tuck.

Angles.....for his apparent knowledge of the various angles round the table. One of the best analysts on any of the channels for me. Angles, Foulds & Hendry different gravy to the rest far as I'm concerned.

Expected ronnie to get that brown, that could be very costly miss, though not straightforward clear up for judd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Angles is quality.

If it wasn't for that kick in Frame 11 I think it'd be 6-6 here. Hopefully O'Sullivan gets the first frame after the interval to set things up nicely.

Long matches involving the game's best players, so much better than best of 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Those two breaks from Ronnie to bring it to 8-7. 20 minutes of top quality television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Terrific match this. The two best players in the world playing proper match snooker. The era of players like Selby winning due to their safety acumen is over.

Don’t mind judd going for his shots but that pink was a leave all day for me. Messed up the position and should have taken his medicine. Delighted with a decider all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Don’t mind judd going for his shots but that pink was a leave all day for me. Messed up the position and should have taken his medicine. Delighted with a decider all the same!
    Up to 10 so not a decider yet!

Pighead wrote: »
    Up to 10 so not a decider yet!

Yeah...caught me out there alright!

Hah, I've been watching it on silent and assumed it was best of 17 also.

Virgin Media morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Amazing match.

Pleased to be able to definitively say.....we have a decider!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

That shot from O’Sullivan to bring blue and pink into play AND get the snooker behind the green was very significant.

Advertisement