Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Coral Cup - ITV4's Trilogy of Events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

This Australian thing with Ronnie is painfully unfunny. That said, he seems to be playing well, total destruction of Allen last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Inviere wrote: »
    This Australian thing with Ronnie is painfully unfunny. That said, he seems to be playing well, total destruction of Allen last night.

Yeah Ronnie played some good stuff. Looking forward to today.

The interview after was awful. So disrespectful to all the lads in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Yeah Ronnie played some good stuff. Looking forward to today.

The interview after was awful. So disrespectful to all the lads in the studio.

You could see the forced smiles and almost taste the cringe...

Just about to kick off now. Cmon Neil!

Inviere wrote: »
    You could see the forced smiles and almost taste the cringe...

Just about to kick off now. Cmon Neil!

Haha yeah, so cringe. And he goes on about the respect he has for Hendry and showed him none then. You could tell Hendry wanted to talk snooker with him seriously. Would have been nice to listen to from my point of view.

He's arguing with the ref again :) and look he is correct, but think theres a nicer way to go about it, bit subjective I know. Just makes it all a bit uncomfortable. These days I wonder does he enjoy that a bit during the match, helps him up his game/focus ?

Hopefully Robertson gets a frame now to make a match of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He's arguing with the ref again and look he is correct, but think theres a nicer way to go about it, bit subjective I know. Just makes it all a bit uncomfortable. These days I wonder does he enjoy that a bit during the match, helps him up his game/focus ?

I was going to suggest the opposite. I don't see how winding oneself up and getting aggro could help his focus. It's interval now and no doubt the incident will be on his mind. Doesn't seem to have affected him though.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I was going to suggest the opposite. I don't see how winding oneself up and getting aggro could help his focus. It's interval now and no doubt the incident will be on his mind. Doesn't seem to have affected him though.

Yeah personally it wouldn't help me so I agree with ya from that perspective.

Great 4 frames from him anyway.

Come on Neil, I want a final frame decider tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

There was always going to be something today between Ronnie and that ref. Think the ref. is a bit intimidated, which may contribute to the mistakes, and there might have been a case to give the final to someone else.

Unless you think a bit of edge and argy bargy is good box office, of course ;)

Well done Neil. Gets one on the board

Well done Neil. Gets one on the board

Hopefully he can take this last one of the session. I though he played brilliantly against Trump so I think a comeback is possible if he does take this last frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thought it was especially helpful of ronnie to graciously help the referee with the repositioning given he said it wasn’t his job a couple of days ago!

But seriously...hendry made good point, ref got it wrong but if he was taking undue care to respot then ronnie possibly have a go for being too slow. He’s under a bit of pressure out there.

• Advertisement

Would be cool if he made the 1K break to win the tournament at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

That ref is hopeless. If you can't re-spot the black correctly when a player is among the reds, (and place it incorrectly not once, but twice), maybe this isn't the job for you.

You could tell Hendry was implying he'd be pissed off about it too, but didn't put it in those words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ronnie seems to be on a mission to stamp his dominance all over everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

This referee... 12-13 reds in one pocket, almost spilling back out onto the table and he doesn’t distribute them among the other pockets. When he picked the last pink out of the pocket it was visible from above the table.

Nice century from Robertson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

This referee... 12-13 reds in one pocket, almost spilling back out onto the table and he doesn’t distribute them among the other pockets. When he picked the last pink out of the pocket it was visible from above the table.

Nice century from Robertson.

He's really bad. Couldn't replace a simple white there.

We were on for 1,000 centuries there. But tough red

We were on for 1,000 centuries there. But tough red

Surprised he didn't try to bring it out at some point.

Have a feeling he’s saving the tons thing for either the winning frame or even another time....could be wrong, just a feeling

Have a feeling he’s saving the tons thing for either the winning frame or even another time....could be wrong, just a feeling

Surely tonight is more attractive than the first round of the tour championship on a Thursday afternoon.

Well we get an interval anyway

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    Surely tonight is more attractive than the first round of the tour championship on a Thursday afternoon.

Yeah definitely...why i said he’ll try to win the match with the ton tonight if he can, that would be best case scenario for it. I didn’t think he tried very hard on the last red in that last frame he won tbh. Like i said, i could be wrong and he does it next frame.

Absolutely amazing. I enjoyed that quite a bit I must say.

That was cool

Fantastic finish to a very enjoyable week of snooker for me.

Incredible win and finish. Nearly stole the high break prize of £5,000 from Robertson at the end, if he didn't foul the white. That's O'Sullivan's 35th ranking title, one away from Hendry's record of 36, which you have to imagine he'll break before the end of 2019. Possibly this season, if he can win the Tour and World Championships. Nice speech from Ronnie afterwards too, he was clearly loving the crowd's enjoyment of his 1000th century.

Here's how the Top 8 are ranked now for the Tour Championship:

1. Mark Allen - £394,000
    2. Ronnie O'Sullivan - £353,500
    3. Judd Trump - £307,000
    4. Neil Robertson - £305,500
    5. Mark Selby - £246,500
    6. Mark Williams - £223,500
    7. Stuart Bingham - £188,000
    8. Kyren Wilson - £187,500

Only the Gibraltar Open can effect the rankings before then. The top 6 are guaranteed their spots and aren't playing in Gibraltar. Bingham and Wilson are, plus current #9 for the season, David Gilbert (£182,000). Top prize is only £25,000 in Gibraltar, but depending on how deep they go or how early they lose, any two of the three can make the Tour Championship. Of course, whoever ends up #7 will have to play...Ronnie.

It's Ronnie's night but Robertson has really turned it around to be number 4 for the season marginally behind Trump. Remember a couple of years back he dropped out of the top 16 and missed the Masters. Shaun Murphy will need to find the same trick up his sleeve.

Think most of Robbo's decline was down to personal problems though, rather than just having form desert him.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Think most of Robbo's decline was down to personal problems though, rather than just having form desert him.

Yes he spoke about it I believe, I remember reading it somewhere. Fair play to him.

The third and final leg of the Coral Cup starts Tuesday afternoon on ITV4, the inaugural Tour Championship. Top prize is £150,000. Someone will also be awarded the Coral Cup, for the player with the most total prize money from the Coral Series overall.

Predictably, the Gibraltar Open did not have any impact on the Top 8 rankings, listed above. #1 plays #8, #2 plays #7, etc.

Quarter-Finals (Best-of-17)
    Tuesday, 1pm: Neil Robertson v Mark Selby (1st session)
    Tuesday, 1pm: Judd Trump v Mark Williams (1st session)
    Tuesday, 7pm: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Stuart Bingham (1st session)
    Tuesday, 7pm: Neil Robertson v Mark Selby (final session)
    Wednesday, 1pm: Mark Allen v Kyren Wilson (1st session)
    Wednesday, 1pm: Judd Trump v Mark Williams (final session)
    Wednesday, 7pm: Mark Allen v Kyren Wilson (final session)
    Wednesday, 7pm: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Stuart Bingham (final session)

Semi-Finals (Best-of-19)
    Thursday, 1pm: Trump/Williams v O'Sullivan/Bingham (1st session)
    Thursday, 7pm: Trump/Williams v O'Sullivan/Bingham (final session)
    Friday, 1pm: Allen/Wilson v Robertson/Selby (1st session)
    Friday, 7pm: Allen/Wilson v Robertson/Selby (final session)

Final (Best-of-25)
    Saturday, 7pm: ? v ? (1st session)
    Sunday, 1pm: ? v ? (2nd session)
    Sunday, 7pm: ? v ? (final session)

• Advertisement

Almost like a mini world championship this competition. Each of those matches looks very interesting. Any of the 8 could win it.

Advertisement