Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Coral Cup - ITV4's Trilogy of Events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That was just fantastic by Ronnie to level it.
    That shot from O’Sullivan to bring blue and pink into play AND get the snooker behind the green was very significant.

Ronnie hasn't had the best of run in this match overall. At least 2 frames he should have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That shot from O’Sullivan to bring blue and pink into play AND get the snooker behind the green was very significant.

Was a great shot, got the bit of luck but didn’t diminish its quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Virgin Media morons.

No-one else on Virgin Media?
    I got a 'due to copyright we cannot bring you this program message' bang on 23:00, snooker gone. Presumably football or something that they don't have ROI rights for was scheduled for this hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ITV4 just went to a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

ITV4. When those ads briefly came on there i was damning ITV to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ITV4. When those ads briefly came on there i was damning ITV to hell.

I thought I missed something and it went to a re rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jayc12

This is gripping stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Wow.

That was one of the most dramatic snooker matches I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

That had it all. Absolutely gripping, my two favourite players, been a great second session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Wow - that was a brilliant game, such a great last frame too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Wow. Bad mistake by Trump. What a long yellow by Ronnie. What a final black.

I think overall Ronnie did deserve to win the match despite the fluked pink in the final frame.

I disagree strongly with hendry regarding trump that missed yellow. Foulds called it right, thought it was totally wrong way to play the shot. Judd will be seething he let that match slip by but was an absolute belter. Incredible how much it meant to ronnie, goes 13-12 up in his career head to head with judd as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

This tournament has been so good so far. So exciting there at the end. Judd will be sick but he had three decent chances to finish O'Sullivan off there so can't have too many complaints. Huge win for O'Sullivan. Not only in the context of the race to number 1 but also taking Judd out like that. Judd's had the edge on Ronnie this season and you could tell it was starting to niggle with Ronnie. Big psychological boost for Ronnie ahead of the worlds. Selby and Judd are the only too who can beat him I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Real retirer for anyone who was on Judd at short odds in running. Yellow ball miss is unforgivable. That was just perceptible peer pressure that made him attempt position off it onto the green not needing the green. If O'Sullivan was ebdon in the chair you can be sure he'd trickle that yellow in. Because it was Ronnie Judd was worried how he'd be perceived rolling the yellow in without attempting to get position on the green.
    Still, some cahones on O'Sullivan in that decider and the final frames in general. The blood looked like it had drained from Judd's face during that decider.

Should have rolled the yellow in. The same yellow that O’Sullivan developed off the fluked pink. Trump wasn’t thinking clearly though, he looked so nervous during that last frame, lost all his composure.

That’s right about this being a big psychological boost for O’Sullivan because Trump has beaten him in 2 finals this year alone I think? Selby and Trump definitely the 2 players who can intimidate O’Sullivan.

The yellow and black to clear up were beautifully struck pots under so much pressure.

Absolutely had to roll yellow in, with just enough power that it might come away from pocket if missed, but not enough for position on green. Judds mental game has definitely come on leaps and bounds this season but under pressure it will and does break down. He’s very very good but not quite the finished article yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

That right there is why I don't see Trump winning the Worlds, despite the season he's had, at least not this year. 6-2 and 8-5 up, and he couldn't get the job done. Ronnie's comeback was just fantastic. That was a massive psychological blow to Trump, he's going to take a while to get over that.

That right there is why I don't see Trump winning the Worlds, despite the season he's had, at least not this year. 6-2 and 8-5 up, and he couldn't get the job done. Ronnie's comeback was just fantastic. That was a massive psychological blow to Trump, he's going to take a while to get over that.
    Harsh on Trump. He's shown this season he has the game to win the World's. He's also shown he's not afraid of Ronnie. Yeah he let that slip a bit last night but it happens. I remember Ronnie letting slip a big lead in the Masters against Paul Hunter before going on and winning the World Championships a couple of months later. Judd still isn't the finished article but he'll be there or thereabouts in Sheffield. Hopefully himself and Ronnie aren't seeded to meet each other until the final. Could be a final for the ages if those are the last men standing next month.

A trump v O’Sullivan world final would be an outstanding prospect, it’s the best rivalry we’ve had in snooker past 3-4 years. That said, I’d still have my doubts about ronnie going that deep. Could be maybe he’ll convince himself to give it one huge, possibly last, major push this year, but i just think he’ll struggle again with the extreme mental demands of it. Last night was a blow to judd, but he’s had a great season and should be positive about where he stands right now. Got to improve his shot selection at critical times of matches, i think that’s the difference between him being a potential and true great of the game.

• Advertisement

A trump v O’Sullivan world final would be an outstanding prospect, it’s the best rivalry we’ve had in snooker past 3-4 years. That said, I’d still have my doubts about ronnie going that deep. Could be maybe he’ll convince himself to give it one huge, possibly last, major push this year, but i just think he’ll struggle again with the extreme mental demands of it. Last night was a blow to judd, but he’s had a great season and should be positive about where he stands right now. Got to improve his shot selection at critical times of matches, i think that’s the difference between him being a potential and true great of the game.
    He has an awful habit of coming wrong side of the blue when in amongst the balls. In fairness to him he tends to recover well with the in and out of baulk shot but it cost him a couole of times last night. His long potting is sensational though. How many times yesterday did he pot a red straight from Ronnie's (admittedly poor) break offs?

Pighead wrote: »
    He has an awful habit of coming wrong side of the blue when in amongst the balls. In fairness to him he tends to recover well with the in and out of baulk shot but it cost him a couole of times last night. His long potting is sensational though. How many times yesterday did he pot a red straight from Ronnie's (admittedly poor) break offs?

Yes that’s true. Judds cueball control does look to have significantly improved this season but it’s nowhere near ronnie level yet. Then again, whose is? Ronnies long potting was a bit ropey at times but he did smash that last frame yellow when it mattered. That’s what makes a true champion i suppose.

Pighead wrote: »
    Hopefully himself and Ronnie aren't seeded to meet each other until the final. Could be a final for the ages if those are the last men standing next month.
    A trump v O’Sullivan world final would be an outstanding prospect, it’s the best rivalry we’ve had in snooker past 3-4 years.
    As seedings stand right now, Ronnie and Trump would be due to meet in the Semi-Finals (best-of-33) of the World Championship.

5-3 to Robertson over Allen, going into tonight's session.

Despite winning on Thurs I still think that match is an example of why O’Sullivan will struggle to win the World Champ. He was pretty poor in the first session and lost it 6-2. Over the last few years he has been prone to having at least one woeful session of snooker in the Worlds, which is enough to get knocked out. Hard to see him maintaining the consistency needed over 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Despite winning on Thurs I still think that match is an example of why O’Sullivan will struggle to win the World Champ. He was pretty poor in the first session and lost it 6-2. Over the last few years he has been prone to having at least one woeful session of snooker in the Worlds, which is enough to get knocked out. Hard to see him maintaining the consistency needed over 2 weeks.

Another big reason against Ronnie for the worlds is that Leo Scullion will be the ref in the final of the 2019 worlds. Leo is too slow for Ronnie and Ronnie doesnt like him and doesnt rate him. Ronnie could even get him in any other match.
    Ronnie tries to show him up by regularly getting down on the shot before Leo has respotted the colour. Hurrying Leo up.

Ronnie won the first session last night, 5-3. Robertson did the same this afternoon, after Ronnie's focus seemed to dip. 8-8, going into the final session tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Robertson would give Selby a run for his money in the grinding stakes,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Might be 13-12 this. In the spirit of the week that's in it

Despite the close score line, not the most entertaining final. O’Sullivan just about managing to keep his nose in front, 11-10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Missed black off the spot. That's it for Robertson

Advertisement