Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE's 071 Class.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I saw one of them blue ones in Ballina myself a few years back. Nearly fell out my truck:D

corktina wrote: »
    I saw one of them blue ones in Ballina myself a few years back. Nearly fell out my truck:D

First time I saw one was on a Cork-Tralee train around 2005 or so. I was in Mallow, having gotten off the Dublin train. Was sitting in the Cravens and didn't see the loco up front but then caught 112 running round the train. At the time I wasn't particularly knowledgeable about the railways and had no idea what was going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Karsini wrote: »
    First time I saw one was on a Cork-Tralee train around 2005 or so. I was in Mallow, having gotten off the Dublin train. Was sitting in the Cravens and didn't see the loco up front but then caught 112 running round the train. At the time I wasn't particularly knowledgeable about the railways and had no idea what was going on!

I seem to remember her being on loan for a few years in the mid-2000s. I have a photo somewhere of her on a Galway train at Kildare taken in June 2006. There was a time when she was regularly on the Tara Mines trains, I was on a trip to Dublin so decided to head out on a rambler and see if I could get pics. Waited at Howth Junction for ages and no sign of the train, a northbound DART was due and the southbound signal red so I decided to chance heading on to Malahide and try get it there. About a minute after the DART left Howth Junction what flies by only a blue streak... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,552 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nope, sorry. I know the company undertook some consultancy work and they almost landed a big contract for the Chunnel, that's all I know of.

Did they not also provide a rather massive amount of consultancy for the Manchester tram system, despite not actually having any tram systems in Ireland at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

112 was indeed on loan a few years back,i recall it on the Ballina branch cravens set several times before being swichted onto timbers/liners in the yard.The 071 loco on the branch was often changed with one on the liner so it could head back to Inchicore(swapped in Kildare).When they wanted to swap a Craven,they use to send one down on the 1615 F.O(attached to end of a a MK2 rake) and send the other one back on the 1530 on a Sunday.(locked off from pax of course).

IE did some pretty heavy refurbishment on her while on loan - on the outside you may have noticed that 112 has the newer style marker lights like the 071s while 111 and 113 still have the original marker lights.

Also, the engines on the 111s are still original spec 645E3 while the 071s were upgraded to 645E3C spec. 076 is also on an E3 or E3B (can't remember for sure). Its original engine failed badly and it's now using an engine taken from a scrapped Swedish loco. You can hear the difference, I can only describe it as if the 111s and 076 seem to whistle more while the other 071s sound more raspy.

I remember that with 076,piston flew out through the side panal.The 111s do whistle more,definately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Well if the E3s get clapped out could always ask MotivePower/GE for some 12-645F3Bs with another 550hp :D

A couple of clips to show off sounds:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

082's horn sounds more like a parp than the throaty horn we're more used too!

Nice sound out of 113 and great clag to boot.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    082's horn sounds more like a parp than the throaty horn we're more used too!
    Yep, she didn't have her unique turbo at this time either, that was after the overhaul and repaint. I work near Clontarf Road DART station and can hear the trains from where I work. I always know when 082 is on a Tara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

"Probably mentioned here before but heres the current status of the Class.
    087-Withdrawn,Parts used for remainder of class,ready for scrap."
    Boards.ie

087 pictured in Inchicore showing the loco undergoing as a full body-shell overhaul
    current Today's Railways

as they would say in private Eye
    shurley shome mishtake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo checker

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Let me guess, you support the WRC, right?
    :) not interested in WRC WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIPS atall

i dont think 087 will be back she is spare parts only i reckon

any sightings of 084 ?

by the way drivers of the 071s are complainin about leaky cabs ,id say an umbrella would be required for each trip.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Listen to the music.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Listen to the music.

Sweet,sweet music.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

The lovely sound of the 081.

I remember I used to go into Limerick station on Sunday evenings when a student 100000 years ago just to hear it.

Being not well up,what causes that big engine note rise as it comes to a halt?

080's horn is almost two tone at one end at the moment.081 is a great goer!! Edit-Mayo Checker,yes some of the cabs are leaky around the window seals but no need for umbrella's just yet!!

cml387 wrote: »
    The lovely sound of the 081.

I remember I used to go into Limerick station on Sunday evenings when a student 100000 years ago just to hear it.

Being not well up,what causes that big engine note rise as it comes to a halt?

I might be wrong but I think the engine will automatically rev up to drive the air compressors, otherwise the brakes would run out of air and fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

082 is easily my favourite of the 071s and i might assume it is the favourite for others too.Just that sound............gorgeous

082 sounds no different than the rest of the 071s its all imagination. .all the same ..

Umbrellas on stand by if them CAB leaks get worse oscar:)

• Advertisement

082 sounds no different than the rest of the 071s its all imagination. .all the same ..

She definitely has a different tone,my vocabulary will struggle to describe it but it's very noticeable in the videos above.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

eejoynt wrote: »
    087 pictured in Inchicore showing the loco undergoing as a full body-shell overhaul

I am wondering whether it is actually their test bed for trying to resolve the leaky cab problems? It certainly doesn't looked dumped from the picture - it's in a shed.

Hungerford wrote: »
    I am wondering whether it is actually their test bed for trying to resolve the leaky cab problems? It certainly doesn't looked dumped from the picture - it's in a shed.

POOR 216 must not be that important anymore so in that case

082 sounds different without a doubt.There is no imagination or illusion about it

082 certainly does sound different-www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7wb546OSs. I noted 073 hauling the Ballina-Waterford timber this evening,nice to see "071 Class Hellfire" wrote on the dirt on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

POOR 216 must not be that important anymore so in that case

In fairness, CIE have a long and distinguished history of leaving stuff to rot outside. Generally, if something is in a shed, it means that they may want to use it again.

082 certainly does sound different-www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7wb546OSs.
    an 071 sounds the exact same as the next 1 when you hear them from distance you know for sure that its not a 201 before you see it that roarin sound can be heard for miles 082 is no different

an 071 sounds the exact same as the next 1 when you hear them from distance you know for sure that its not a 201 before you see it that roarin sound can be heard for miles 082 is no different

Have you heard 082 in notch 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

088 passed Milltown Bridge near Thurles with one wagon in tow on the up line this afternoon, must remember to take the camera when I walk the dog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

082 certainly does sound different-www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7wb546OSs.

082 is a beast ever since it's overhaul. You can hear the thing for miles off before it gets near you more so than another 071. 082 has a very different to any other 071 or 201. The 071s have a distant rumble while 082 has a roaring throaty sound from way off. It sounds like it's about to tear it's self apart when I hear late at night on the taras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I must be the only person here who doesn't actually like this class :P

To me they just like a bulked out 141 on steroids :pac:

082 is a beast ever since it's overhaul. You can hear the thing for miles off before it gets near you more so than another 071. 082 has a very different to any other 071 or 201. The 071s have a distant rumble while 082 has a roaring throaty sound from way off. It sounds like it's about to tear it's self apart when I hear late at night on the taras.

Lovely description of the sound of 082,a throaty roar.There is a unique sound to it compared to the other 071s which is clear as day especially in notch 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

QUOTE=Cookie_Monster;77006880]I must be the only person here who doesn't actually like this class :P

To me they just like a bulked out 141 on steroids :pac:[/QUOT

banned!

I must be the only person here who doesn't actually like this class :P

To me they just like a bulked out 141 on steroids :pac:

Karsini wrote: »
    Have you heard 082 in notch 8?
    yes and it sounds the same as the rest of the others i have heard .

take note
    082 is just an ordinary member of the 071 class

yes and it sounds the same as the rest of the others i have heard .

take note
    082 is just an ordinary member of the 071 class
    087:

082:

Honestly, you can't say that these sound the same.

anybody on IRN see the brill recent overhead view of inch

it is sad to see so many locos just left there to rot

With the mk3 coaches that can also be seen ......

IRN would want to get their act together and get more freight contracts on board and get them locos moving again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

IRN would want to get their act together and get more freight contracts on board and get them locos moving again..

Freight from where to where for whom? We're not exactly Germany or the UK, we have very little heavy industry or long distances to cover.

BTW here's the link to those photos http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/2514/Re-Inchicore-Works-from-above?page=-1#.TzrRprFmJbk. Anyone know what's the story with the 5-car 22000 in Inchicore?

there was murmurings of reopening Sligo to timber I think? With the increase in passenger services on both that line and Kildare-Waterford it would be challenging to find timetable slots for said service though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

East Wall looks a prime candidate for an arson attack that will take care of the MkIIIs - why on earth have they still got them lying around the place?

Freight from where to where for whom? We're not exactly Germany or the UK, we have very little heavy industry or long distances to cover.

WELL do u ever wonder where these lorries that you see clogging up our roads every day are going ?????? While the rails around the country have nothing on them atall through the night and most of the day there be plenty of free slots for freight to operate on and take some lorries off the road.

WELL do u ever wonder where these lorries that you see clogging up our roads every day are going ??????

To places that don't have railway lines to them.

East Wall looks a prime candidate for an arson attack that will take care of the MkIIIs - why on earth have they still got them lying around the place?

True, I guess that could happen anywhere really where you keep them all together. At least here they're close enough to Alexendra Road you can push them out of the country quickly before they fall apart :D

I'm kind of surprised no UK company like Angel Trains hasn't picked them up- I guess regauging them and bringing them up to UK MK3 standards was too expensive. I think at this stage they are well and truly done for after so long in the elements.

BTW here's the link to those photos http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/2514/Re-Inchicore-Works-from-above?page=-1#.TzrRprFmJbk. Anyone know what's the story with the 5-car 22000 in Inchicore?

the first pic there is great. at least 4 141s in there in 142 in black and tan.

The 5 car 22k, maybe one car is in a shop with issues, being normally a 6 piece set?

The 5-piece ICR is 22033, the missing coach caught fire in Athenry last year. Not sure what state it's in.

• Advertisement

the first pic there is great. at least 4 141s in there in 142 in black and tan.

The 5 car 22k, maybe one car is in a shop with issues, being normally a 6 piece set?
    Probably set 22033
    http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/reply/52857/22000-Class-watch#reply-52857

One month in Inchicore and no sign of its sixth carriage being re-added? Just one more bungle in the saga of the 22Ks it seems.

I'd assume that the 201 behind the running shed near the traverser is 216? Doesn't look the best even from that height.

To places that don't have railway lines to them.
    ALL THE LORRIES MUST END UP IN TO DONEGAL SO:):)

ALL THE LORRIES MUST END UP IN TO DONEGAL SO:):)

Name a factory that has a direct rail connection these days, because that's the only way it's going to be viable to move stuff by rail for them. Other wise it's load truck, drive truck to railhead, wait to offload container, container sits in yard, loaded to train, more waiting, railhead A to railhead B, more waiting to offload, re load to truck, drive truck to actual destination.

The cost and time cost of all the moving and waiting far outweighs the cheaper cost of rail freight due to the short distance involved in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Saw a locomotive passing manulla junction last night going to Ballina with its load of containers, the number on it was 071 but it was not an 071. It looked like a 201? It was gone before I could get any pictures. Does that make any sense from someone who knows very little about locomotive classes or sizes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement