Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Fairly Interesting scene in Connolly, what looks a failed 201 hauled by an NIR 111 down to Connolly and then getting ready to be shunted away by an 071.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Fairly Interesting scene in Connolly, what looks a failed 201 hauled by an NIR 111 down to Connolly and then getting ready to be shunted away by an 071.

Was that today? I seen that also , again in the way through Malahide station.

Lad in the driving seat on the IR train was loving the lift. Spurred a few jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

It was today,112 hauled 227 to Connolly,and 076 took it to Inchicore,where it was started after a short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Where are they storing all these locos in Inch - it was a straight track through the station the last time I was on the Rosslare train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Where are they storing all these locos in Inch - it was a straight track through the station the last time I was on the Rosslare train?
    The rosslare train goes through Inch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The rosslare train goes through Inch?

Yep. Inch station closed in 1964. Happen to live about a mile or two away from it myself. As the old joke goes, there's only an inch between Arklow and Gorey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo checker

hopefully 112 might be sent down here to do a few liners and timbers but it mite not happen anytime soon as they mite need 2 locos when they start work on the derry line later this year. after that .i would love a 111 class to venture down here .....

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

dowlingm wrote: »
    Even the 071s would have loads of time left if run on a North American railroad I'd say ...
    Definately,
    Found this video earlier shows what can be done.

http://www.nationalrailway.com/national_geo.asp

I seem to remember back in the days of Paul Conlon's tenureship at CIE that all sorts of engineering work was going to be carried out at Inch Inchicore - including outside contracts. Apart from repairing some church gates were any other contracts won? Losty?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

hopefully 112 might be sent down here to do a few liners and timbers but it mite not happen anytime soon as they mite need 2 locos when they start work on the derry line later this year. after that .i would love a 111 class to venture down here .....

Did a 111 class loco not work some of the Taras last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I seem to remember back in the days of Paul Conlon's tenureship at CIE that all sorts of engineering work was going to be carried out at Inch Inchicore - including outside contracts. Apart from repairing some church gates were any other contracts won? Losty?

I've no idea and what church gates are you on about? :)

I've no idea and what church gates are you on about? :)

It was in Rail Brief years back - I didn't keep it. Do you know if they ever got any other outside work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was in Rail Brief years back - I didn't keep it. Do you know if they ever got any other outside work?

Nope, sorry. I know the company undertook some consultancy work and they almost landed a big contract for the Chunnel, that's all I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

i would love a 111 class to venture down here .....

They seem to be quite regular visitors already given how often the Enterprise 201s go pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

At one stage the 111s were supposed to be made pushpull compatible so they could operate the Gatwicks and the DBSO they bought for it. Did any work actually get done on them?

dowlingm wrote: »
    At one stage the 111s were supposed to be made pushpull compatible so they could operate the Gatwicks and the DBSO they bought for it. Did any work actually get done on them?

I'm open to correction here, but in the case of the mkIII p/ps the push-pull system was based on the multiple working system in the IÉ GMs. It would have made sense to NIR to convert the DBSO from whatever system BR used to the GM one, rather than go to the trouble of converting three 111s to the BR system. I'm guessing it would have allowed for 201 operation as well.

Then again I shouldn't really be using the word 'sense' in a discussion about NIR's DBSO... :rolleyes:

Hungerford wrote: »
    They seem to be quite regular visitors already given how often the Enterprise 201s go pop.

YES they might be regular enough up that part of the country but im hopin to see them work a liner or timber down here in mayo
    hence my name mayo checker:)

connolly and inchicore are a good bit away from mayo :)

any news on the whereabouts of 084 ?

Rud wrote: »
    Did a 111 class loco not work some of the Taras last year?

ya i believe there was a workin on the taras but 112 did a few timbers from waterford to ballina/westport a few years ago so i guess never say never for a return down here some day

Niles wrote: »
    I'm open to correction here, but in the case of the mkIII p/ps the push-pull system was based on the multiple working system in the IÉ GMs. It would have made sense to NIR to convert the DBSO from whatever system BR used to the GM one, rather than go to the trouble of converting three 111s to the BR system. I'm guessing it would have allowed for 201 operation as well.

Then again I shouldn't really be using the word 'sense' in a discussion about NIR's DBSO... :rolleyes:
    Yes, the IÉ GMs use a modified AAR system for push-pull, it's the same system as used for multiple working but also contains door control commands. I've no idea whether the Mk2 DBSO was wired for AAR or TDM.
    ya i believe there was a workin on the taras but 112 did a few timbers from waterford to ballina/westport a few years ago so i guess never say never for a return down here some day
    Yes, it did work a Tara last year after spending some time in Inchicore for maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

YES they might be regular enough up that part of the country but im hopin to see them work a liner or timber down here in mayo
    hence my name mayo checker:)

Let me guess, you support the WRC, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I saw one of them blue ones in Ballina myself a few years back. Nearly fell out my truck:D

corktina wrote: »
    I saw one of them blue ones in Ballina myself a few years back. Nearly fell out my truck:D

First time I saw one was on a Cork-Tralee train around 2005 or so. I was in Mallow, having gotten off the Dublin train. Was sitting in the Cravens and didn't see the loco up front but then caught 112 running round the train. At the time I wasn't particularly knowledgeable about the railways and had no idea what was going on!

Karsini wrote: »
    First time I saw one was on a Cork-Tralee train around 2005 or so. I was in Mallow, having gotten off the Dublin train. Was sitting in the Cravens and didn't see the loco up front but then caught 112 running round the train. At the time I wasn't particularly knowledgeable about the railways and had no idea what was going on!

I seem to remember her being on loan for a few years in the mid-2000s. I have a photo somewhere of her on a Galway train at Kildare taken in June 2006. There was a time when she was regularly on the Tara Mines trains, I was on a trip to Dublin so decided to head out on a rambler and see if I could get pics. Waited at Howth Junction for ages and no sign of the train, a northbound DART was due and the southbound signal red so I decided to chance heading on to Malahide and try get it there. About a minute after the DART left Howth Junction what flies by only a blue streak... :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nope, sorry. I know the company undertook some consultancy work and they almost landed a big contract for the Chunnel, that's all I know of.

Did they not also provide a rather massive amount of consultancy for the Manchester tram system, despite not actually having any tram systems in Ireland at the time?

112 was indeed on loan a few years back,i recall it on the Ballina branch cravens set several times before being swichted onto timbers/liners in the yard.The 071 loco on the branch was often changed with one on the liner so it could head back to Inchicore(swapped in Kildare).When they wanted to swap a Craven,they use to send one down on the 1615 F.O(attached to end of a a MK2 rake) and send the other one back on the 1530 on a Sunday.(locked off from pax of course).

IE did some pretty heavy refurbishment on her while on loan - on the outside you may have noticed that 112 has the newer style marker lights like the 071s while 111 and 113 still have the original marker lights.

Also, the engines on the 111s are still original spec 645E3 while the 071s were upgraded to 645E3C spec. 076 is also on an E3 or E3B (can't remember for sure). Its original engine failed badly and it's now using an engine taken from a scrapped Swedish loco. You can hear the difference, I can only describe it as if the 111s and 076 seem to whistle more while the other 071s sound more raspy.

I remember that with 076,piston flew out through the side panal.The 111s do whistle more,definately!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Well if the E3s get clapped out could always ask MotivePower/GE for some 12-645F3Bs with another 550hp :D

A couple of clips to show off sounds:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

082's horn sounds more like a parp than the throaty horn we're more used too!

Nice sound out of 113 and great clag to boot.:)

Advertisement