Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

The problem is that there really is no incentive for taxis to pick up in the airport at those times, and the airport is far too reliant on taxis as a mode of transport. At 11 or 12 on a weekend, a taxi driver has the choice of having constant fares in the city centre, or possibly 1 job from the airport to a suburb, where he may have to run empty back to the airport.

They really need to hand the taxi operation to a private company, introduce SLA's, etc into the contract. Operating with sole traders just won't work, for the reasons I've set out above. Also, DAA haven't issued any new taxi permits in years, that doesn't help the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Couple of more pics from today from tweeter https://twitter.com/hynes_gh/status/1140224349997338624

D9LnDg2WkAUvusa.jpg:small

I personally don't think it is the queues pre se that piss people off. Particularly it's the sight of the closed e-gates that really riles people up - I know it did me.

D9LooM_XoAEdIR0.jpg:small

Why are they closed??? What are they there for if not to cut down on waiting times?

Obviously people are going to be extremely annoyed when they see that.

There is no defence for this. It's incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Couple of more pics from today from tweeter https://twitter.com/hynes_gh/status/1140224349997338624

D9LnDg2WkAUvusa.jpg:small

I personally don't think it is the queues pre se that piss people off. Particularly it's the sight of the closed e-gates that really riles people up - I know it did me.

D9LooM_XoAEdIR0.jpg:small

Why are they closed??? What are they there for if not to cut down on waiting times?

Obviously people are going to be extremely annoyed when they see that.

There is no defence for this. It's incompetence.
    We've a thread for this and nearly weekly letters in the Irish times complaining . try and tweet DAA or Dublin Airport - "no hablo ingles, not our problem senor" . BTW from an infrastructure view, in that corridor which I think is the 300 gates T2 approach , or in the T1 100 gates long rat maze , there are no bathroom facilities or drinking water fountains until through to the baggage hall .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone got any ideas for the taxi situation? Obviously Dublin Airport only build the taxi rank, the lack of taxis use it seems out of their control. IS there something that other airports do that Dublin is missing out on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas for the taxi situation? Obviously Dublin Airport only build the taxi rank, the lack of taxis use it seems out of their control. IS there something that other airports do that Dublin is missing out on?

metro and or heavy rail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At least 10 years away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

People do know that it’s not the daa’s fault if there isn’t enough taxis available on Father’s Day, don’t they ?

Yeah but surely it could be solved overnight if they allowed all taxis to operate there. Or drop the licence costs. Or make it easier for people to navigate to a separate Uber or mytaxi service. This is a daily issue now. Do something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Locker10a wrote: »
    Shhhh will ya, it won’t be so quiet and easy to use if you blab about it to everyone here and the whole world starts to use it.

There's a full two page spread in the Cara magazine at the moment advertising it so seems likely they're trying to push it

metro and or heavy rail.
    Some of the responses on here makes it seem like there's something Dublin Airport is doing that is driving taxis away. Is there a quick fix that I'm missing or something?

DAA charge taxis for an airport permit to pick up , they could get rid of it , they could also incentivise drivers to pick up.

One useful statistic they could make public is the avg number of taxis in the waiting area on an hourly basis, they have this information readily to hand

For really bad queues on a Saturday night take the bus if it arrives , to the city centre and a cab out you may be quicker ( yes I know it wont work for everyone who lives in Swords as it wont be cheap ) because you'll get a cab no snags in town easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

trellheim wrote: »
    DAA charge taxis for an airport permit to pick up , they could get rid of it , they could also incentivise drivers to pick up.

One useful statistic they could make public is the avg number of taxis in the waiting area on an hourly basis, they have this information readily to hand

For really bad queues on a Saturday night take the bus if it arrives , to the city centre and a cab out you may be quicker ( yes I know it wont work for everyone who lives in Swords as it wont be cheap ) because you'll get a cab no snags in town easily.

Do you think taxis fares to city would reduce?

Airport pick up is big business for taxi drivers. I am sure fees are in place across Europe. There is a shortage of taxi drivers in Dublin and since the illegal scam was uncovered its likely eliminated a few more out of it.

Now if the NTA made a threat of allowing Uber to operate from the airport I think a many taxi operators would consider picking up at airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i know it’s only of use to those of us in the know and having experience of it, but if you want out of the airport, pre book something or someone to meet you at departures level, be it Uber, cab, friends or relative, txt or call them as your plane is arriving at the gate and again when you get the bags. If it’s coordinated properly there won’t be any issues with a DAA gorilla giving anybody any hassle.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Do you think taxis fares to city would reduce?

Airport pick up is big business for taxi drivers. I am sure fees are in place across Europe. There is a shortage of taxi drivers in Dublin and since the illegal scam was uncovered its likely eliminated a few more out of it.

Now if the NTA made a threat of allowing Uber to operate from the airport I think a many taxi operators would consider picking up at airport.

I'm not too concerned with fares to be completely honest its having a taxi there thats pulled up waiting for me , if I was fare conscious I'd be on the 747 or Aircoach .

OP above asked about incentivising pickup its a real problem at peak hours at the moment . If Uber were allowed pickup from the rank it would lead to a straight strike so lets be realistic here, thats hardly an incentive. Fees are at DAAs discretion , they have discount structures for other modes , so again, lets be realistic here.

If you are late into Dublin airport ( after about 2330 ) its no bag of laughs at the mo with you plus a large amount of very tired and frustrated travellers having to queue for document check, and again for a taxi . Worse is the twitter social media accounts for the airport ( which in both queues above is happy to respond with Canned Response Number 1 "Not My Problem" and put you on the ignore list )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

If Uber was allowed transport in general would be a lot better! Even without Uber, what about mytaxi etc with an app pick up area/kerb as in most US airports? In many drivers pay on the way in or out and add the charge to the meter. No issue with that personally.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    If Uber was allowed transport in general would be a lot better! Even without Uber, what about mytaxi etc with an app pick up area/kerb as in most US airports? In many drivers pay on the way in or out and add the charge to the meter. No issue with that personally.

They already have that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Nijmegen wrote: »

I explained only a couple of days ago where the pickup zone is for MyTaxi (now FreeNow or whatever the ****):

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110435655&postcount=4427

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

That's great - They should stick a few signs up if they haven't already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

It appears people need be spoon fed information that should be second nature to most of them by now, it's not like taxi apps are a new invention, they've been around a few years at this point and can be found pretty much everywhere from small towns to major capitals of the world. The first thing I do after landing is open Uber or MyTaxi, order a car and follow the instructions to the pick up point, really simple. 

I can't remember that last time I queued up at a taxi rank after a flight, or any time for that matter. As for having signs and directions to the pick up zone inside the airport, that's what the app is for! The idea is that you book your taxi before you're at the pick up point in an airport, it allows the driver time to arrive and avoids crowds of people converging in a small area.  

The reason Dublin Airport is in this situation is largely out of their hands, it's peoples lack of common sense or knowledge about newer, more suitable taxi options and Ireland's complete lack of foresight or urgency to build sustainable public transport options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

It appears people need be spoon fed information that should be second nature to most of them by now, it's not like taxi apps are a new invention, they've been around a few years at this point and can be found pretty much everywhere from small towns to major capitals of the world. The first thing I do after landing is open Uber or MyTaxi, order a car and follow the instructions to the pick up point, really simple. 

I can't remember that last time I queued up at a taxi rank after a flight, or any time for that matter. As for having signs and directions to the pick up zone inside the airport, that's what the app is for! The idea is that you book your taxi before you're at the pick up point in an airport, it allows the driver time to arrive and avoids crowds of people converging in a small area.  

The reason Dublin Airport is in this situation is largely out of their hands, it's peoples lack of common sense or knowledge about newer, more suitable taxi options and Ireland's complete lack of foresight or urgency to build sustainable public transport options.

1. Your post is condescending. Just because you use an app to book a taxi doesn't mean that most people do it. Or even a lot of people.

2. If everyone at the airport booked a taxi in advance, there would still be a queuing problem because there's limited pick-up space.

3. Why should people need to book a taxi from a location with predictable, reliable demand? What advantage does that give anyone.

The only necessity for booking a taxi is if it's on a company account so you're limited to a specific taxi. Otherwise, anyone arriving at the airport should be able to walk out, hop in a taxi and pay by cash or card at their destination. Having everyone book a taxi in advance doesn't help the overall situation, it's a band-aid to fix the current problem, it's not a long term solution. In fact, if everyone waited until they had landed to book a taxi, all it does it encourage congestion at the airport at taxis hover around waiting to be booked. If enough taxis were waiting, we'd need somewhere for them to park, like a kesh maybe, but less organised because they could be booked in any order at all.

No need for the condescension, I'd say. Yes, once you've found the taxi app pickup zone once, it's easy to find it every time. And yes, it's easy enough to locate from Terminal 2 - although woe betide you if you go down the wrong escalator and are stuck behind the gapless fences DAA deemed necessary around the dropoff/pickup areas.

But I'd used "Zone 18" a half a dozen times from Terminal 2, and then I arrived one time at Terminal 1 and it was extremely difficult to find.

And I'm someone used to doing it. What about tourists, who aren't regularly using the airport, or have never been to Dublin before? Land at SFO and you'll see a "taxi app" sign, land at CDG and it's the same. Why can't we do this too? Because I guarantee you there are hundreds or thousands of arrivals to DUB who want to use a taxi app but don't because the directions are so complex.

Imagine trying to follow those directions after stepping off an 8 hour red-eye and no sleep at 5am, for example.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    And I'm someone used to doing it. What about tourists, who aren't regularly using the airport, or have never been to Dublin before? Land at SFO and you'll see a "taxi app" sign, land at CDG and it's the same. Why can't we do this too? Because I guarantee you there are hundreds or thousands of arrivals to DUB who want to use a taxi app but don't because the directions are so complex.
    Did this last September, it definitely was no better than Dublin. There's no signs for Taxi App. You get told by Uber to "meet at Departures door D"

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Did this last September, it definitely was no better than Dublin. There's no signs for Taxi App. You get told by Uber to "meet at Departures door D"

I know they've changed it recently for domestic arrivals, but at the international terminal there are very clear signs to direct you to the correct location on the Departures level. They look like this, only different directions:

maxresdefault.jpg

The problem at DUB is there are NO SIGNS at all, or at least there weren't a couple of months ago. Zone 17 is signposted, Zone 16 is signposted. But nothing for Zone 18, particularly coming from T1.

Folks as most here know I'm through weekly and sometimes more than once weekly. they are not good at this and until the last page of this thread I fully believed Mytaxi were banned from pickup at Dublin Airport as every time I tried to book one the drivers cancelled on me.

Ordering a car before you board (e.g from LHR) leaves typically a double fare if they come into the meeting point to pick you up, which is why I stopped doing it

I agree with markpb's comments above , just because someone uses MyTaxi doesn't mean everyone does

As of now if you order Mytaxi to dublin airport the first choice is T1 Dropoff which is marked at the terminal , if you change to the 18 it is somewhere else and the intent of most people is "that's not where I want to go to get a taxi" as theres a big sign saying 'taxis' directing you to the rank. So if you book from there it'll get cancelled and you wont use MT again

trellheim wrote: »
    Folks as most here know I'm through weekly and sometimes more than once weekly. they are not good at this and until the last page of this thread I fully believed Mytaxi were banned from pickup at Dublin Airport as every time I tried to book one the drivers cancelled on me.

Ordering a car before you board (e.g from LHR) leaves typically a double fare if they come into the meeting point to pick you up, which is why I stopped doing it

I agree with markpb's comments above , just because someone uses MyTaxi doesn't mean everyone does

As of now if you order Mytaxi to dublin airport the first choice is T1 Dropoff which is marked at the terminal , if you change to the 18 it is somewhere else and the intent of most people is "that's not where I want to go to get a taxi" as theres a big sign saying 'taxis' directing you to the rank. So if you book from there it'll get cancelled and you wont use MT again

That's kind of on MyTaxi - their app should be smarter:

If you're selecting somewhere at Dublin Airport in the app as a pickup location then it should only show you Zone 18 options.

If you're selecting somewhere at Dublin Airport in the app as a dropoff location, only then should T1 and T2 dropoff points become available.

It would very simple to build that kind of functionality.

Ultimately, for nearly every airport I've passed through that does accept taxi app pickup, they have a very specific location for that, but much looser requirements for where drop-off can happen. This is totally understandable, because airports have to be able to control traffic flow, and it's much harder to do that with a mass of people wanting to be picked up when their flight arrives.

So, Zone 18 is totally fine as a pickup location for Dublin Airport (although, it's quite awkward that it also operates as a surface car park), they just need to take that extra last step and provide official signage, and a specific pickup spot when you arrive at Z18 (and some covered waiting space would be nice too).

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

markpb wrote: »
    3. Why should people need to book a taxi from a location with predictable, reliable demand? What advantage does that give anyone.
    1. Many taxis at the rank don't take cards. That needs to be fixed.
    2. For visitors who don't speak the local language, using a taxi app solves the problem of specifying your destination
    3. Most apps let you pick from various options (regular, share with others, large car, luxury car)
    4. A taxi app gives you a predicted best route and estimated fare (some apps give a guaranteed fare... but not in Ireland), and some let you share your route for security reasons. There's less chance of being taken the "scenic" route accidentally or otherwise.
    5. The driver doesn't give anyone a hard time for taking a short journey

Dublin Airport needs to improve the rank for those who choose that option. Loading has always been a mess at both terminals. Sometimes there is a line of taxis and line of people waiting, so there's clearly a problem with the system.

For App users, there should also be a better pick area than Zone 18. Many airports have well policed pick-up areas at the terminal. Pull in, pick up your passengers and go. Strictly no waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭cson

If memory serves some of the stands at T2 built for dual A32x or one A330, so at least they won't take up the same as one A330. My bigger concern is preclearance, it's been an absolute nightmare the last few weeks, that new expanded facility can't come soon enough.

Preclearance is fast losing its time advantage at the origin end given how early you've to be airport for it to take into account the two performances of security theatre you're obliged to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

cson wrote: »
    Preclearance is fast losing its time advantage at the origin end given how early you've to be airport for it to take into account the two performances of security theatre you're obliged to attend.

I've honestly never found DUB security to be bad, always less than 5 mins with fast track. Last week though I was through security two and a quarter hours before my flight (AA DUB-ORD at 1:35) and the queue to get down to preclearance was backed up and looped around the escalator down from shopping (it would have stretched to the EI lounge if it went down that way). It took 40 minutes just to get down the stairs to CBP security, twenty minutes to get through that queue, and then a full hour to get from CBP security through the visa check. I made it to my gate and boarding was well underway, absolutely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sandbelter

I guarantee if EI/AA through MIA offer 10%-20% cheaper flights to Santiago and even Rio ex-DUB the majority of people will take them over quicker but more expensive routings on BA/AF/IB.

You'd need at least this discount to attract attention. My understanding is that you need a US transit visas and a C-1 transit visa costs $160 also you have to clear customers and immigration in Miami before reboarding to DUB, preclearance makes easier on the way out.

https://www.immihelp.com/visas/fees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

sandbelter wrote: »
    You'd need at least this discount to attract attention. It's US $160 for a C-1 transit visa.

https://www.immihelp.com/visas/fees.html

Unless you're from a Visa Waiver eligible country which includes not only Ireland and Chile but most of the EU and a lot of other countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sandbelter

Unless you're from a Visa Waiver eligible country which includes not only Ireland and Chile but most of the EU and a lot of other countries?

You're still dealing with circa half the market, Brazilians, Argentinians and Mexican for example don't qualify for eligibility....judging from the past comments Brazilians students seem to make up a sizable proportion of the traffic, especially at the lower price points. Argentina has just joined the student exchange programme (again cost conscious), but I'm not seeing anything that would change them from using KLM, Iberia or TAP.

Advertisement