Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s fake.

I don’t believe there is a date on a milgauss (open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

OmegaGene wrote: »
    one fitness yoke and a proper watch

Fair enough, but Buzz goes one further...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote: »
    It's a very long time since I last had a quartz watch. Forgot about their accuracy. I set the time 5 days ago and it has gone about +0.6s since :D

Just checked mine yesterday - it has lost 15.6 seconds over the last 3 years and 9 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Watch on both wrists here most days f@ck it

Same here. Fitbit Ionic on the right wrist and and whatever I'm feeling on that particular day on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Off to a typical Middle East brunch for the afternoon. Wore my constellation quartz for the first time in months. Battery is gone but my wrist feels naked so I'm wearing it anyway. I tried on my wife's gold Daniel Wellington and I decided I rathered the stopped watch instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Only Sports Rolex in Frankfurt Airport

I've wanted to get this watch for quite a while after seeing it with the strap like this. I have to get it shipped from America as I can't find it in Asia. Is this a casual watch that would suit hoodies / t-shirts? I rarely wear shirts or smart clothes. I don't want to get it if it can't be worn all the time.

VSjL93n.png

64fee0943e202e60662c6dc36963fba0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

I've wanted to get this watch for quite a while after seeing it with the strap like this. I have to get it shipped from America as I can't find it in Asia. Is this a casual watch that would suit hoodies / t-shirts? I rarely wear shirts or smart clothes. I don't want to get it if it can't be worn all the time.

Nice watch, I like it a lot more than most of the other cheap Seiko 5s. Looks good on a nato it is a bit dressier on the bracelet but I'd still wear it as casual wear on one. Seiko 5 braclets aren't great are folded metal links so they feel light and rattly. The nato does make it look more casual. It's nice on leather too. They are pretty small at though 37mm so not for everyone.

502961.jpg

Few on ebay most from Japan
    On amazon .com
    but not shipping to Ireland so you'd have to use addresspal or if you know someone in US to forward it.

Ryath wrote: »
    Nice watch, I like it a lot more than most of the other cheap Seiko 5s. Looks good on a nato it is a bit dressier on the bracelet but I'd still wear it as casual wear on one. Seiko 5 braclets aren't great are folded metal links so they feel light and rattly. The nato does make it look more casual. It's nice on leather too. They are pretty small at though 37mm so not for everyone.

That's quite different with the matte? finish. Haven't seen them for sale. Maybe that pic is a mod.

I should go to a store and try on some Seikos to see what size I like. My current watch is 39mm but very thin so it fits nicely. I'm afraid to go 40mm or more without trying in the store first.

In Vietnam so I would go through a company that buys stuff in the US, puts it in a container, and deals with everything on this side. If I go ebay, I could get hit with unexpected charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Didn't spot the case was different. Yea it's a mod SNK809 case with a sapphire crystal.

• Advertisement

Think I'll place the order tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Have been severely tempted by a lovely a Seiko Railway myself lately. Beautiful interpretation of a classic design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Anyone else having 404 errors with the buying/selling thread?

I can’t see the last post on the thread. Little gremlins attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Anyone else having 404 errors with the buying/selling thread?

Same, on mobile.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just for Wibbs

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

The main reason is they are sitting in a pocket of the market that the swatch group need occupied; below Omega and above a load of sub 1k brands. Rado seems to be somewhat ignored. Longines has a fantastic recognised brand name that most people not into watches would have heard of so it gives them the opportunity to buy a "good watch" without splashing big. It cheapens the brand somewhat because they have such a good heritage.

I still love them though. The Big Eye is one of my favourites and is still a watch that's on my top ten most wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

A lot of people here give out about Adverts and all the low ball offers, However people selling watches can have really bad attitudes also.

Throwing out a few low balls today. First one on a Tudor Pepsi. Price 3300 asking. Thats about average on Chrono24, so real value is around 2800-3000. I put in 2700 and just get a flat no. No negotiation, no salesmanship. I have 130 odd positive feedbacks on adverts and I just get a no.

Next one, a chap with a big box moonwatch. Wants 3800 for it. Claiming its "new" but warranty is activated. He sold one in 2019 for around 2800. Says it cost 4800 new and he only got 10% off in the AD. I throw in 2700 and just get a flat no.

Does anyone know how to negotiate anymore, its rare get a buyer, and you have to work a little to get a sale. Its a world were anyone can find out the market value of a watch in 10 seconds so this unrealistic pricing and inability to negotiate is obnoxious and tedious. I always test a seller with a low offer, its like people dont want to sell their stuff at all.

Rant over.

You ever in Limerick? Or Athlone?

I def ain’t keeping mine (I should try to trade for two or 4 nice implants ��)

testing a seller with a low offer as you call it is very annoying and puts me right off tbh, 9 times out of 10 it leads nowhere and ruins the listing, because the next person will offer a similar price or even lower
    i always prefer negotiations to be done in private message and at least the listing is not ruined.
    not trying to sound like an arse but maybe it is your buying style that is the problem ;)

They are not low balls at all, I go out of my way to start with something that is not insulting, they would be on the low end of reasonable, where the difference split is the fair price. Usually a good seller would say "lets take it to PM if your serious" or suggest I raise my offer in a polite manner indicating a reasonable seller with reasonable expectations. These flat "NO" responses are so lazy, and hint at a total lack of ability to negotiate....

My buying style is fine, never any complaints, always sell good **** at good prices and always buy quick without a fuss at a fair price. For instance I would have gone to 3100 on the tudor and maybe the same or a bit more on the speedmaster..both reasonalbe private sale cash prices.

Any activity on a ad bumps its listing, and entices anyone watching into action, so I cannot agree that it is annoying or thread ruining. It does seem to annoy grumpy people with unrealistic price expectations who want to sell but dont want to realize their depreciation or have any interaction with potential buyers. You have to kiss a few frogs or else just take it to dawson or wathcfinders and see they low ball you get there.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    You ever in Limerick? Or Athlone?

I def ain’t keeping mine (I should try to trade for two or 4 nice implants ��)

PM me what you would want for it....we can defo work a deal on this.

PM me what you would want for it....we can defo work a deal on this.

I got it for a good deal on here from deepthought and will pass it on for the same! Cheaper than your starting negotiating position on that advert! And a lot less than you are willing to pay!

2700 is not a lowball.

2700-3100 is about right on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Throwing out a few low balls today. First one on a Tudor Pepsi. Price 3300 asking. Thats about average on Chrono24, so real value is around 2800-3000. I put in 2700 and just get a flat no. No negotiation, no salesmanship. I have 130 odd positive feedbacks on adverts and I just get a no.

I don't get that either. Pick one or two comparable watches on Chrono24. Take into account the 10% commission the seller has to pay there. And a little bit of room for negotiation and the small value of the warranty a trader on Chrono24 has to provide. That will give you a realistic private sale value of about 85% or so of the Chrono24 price, give or take a few percentage points

I offered 90% of the Chrono24 price for that Rolex Explorer on adverts. And the seller (a very experienced private watch seller) simply refused. What is he expecting? That there will be some idiot along prepared to pay significantly more?

you said you threw out a couple of low balls and then say they arent low balls :confused:
    how do the seller know you are prepared to negotiate ? they are not mind readers, that is why i prefer taking things to pm or text as i think it works better for both parties involved

When I say low ball I mean lower that I would be willing to go. Its how nearly every personal business transaction since the start of time has worked. I am not going to put my best foot forward, but I am not insulting people either. I just dont understand people unwillingness to negotiate or the fact they might actual think their watches are worth what they or asking.

People dont have to be mind readers...all they have to do is look at my feedback, my sold items and my comments. These ignorant "NO way buddy" responses are pure lazy.

Unkle...that will come right for you in the next few weeks, I have been there, its a game of chicken with him. Although he is a "dealer" really so just getting out clean is a loss to him.

I think the typical Irish seller is slightly deluded as to the value of their watch.

Market here is tiny. Supply and demand.

If you want market price use a global platform like eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭micks_address

I think the typical Irish seller is slightly deluded as to the value of their watch.

Agree with this. Don't expect high prices secondhand in Ireland.. I see it on the US sites and people just be paying the money and in the UK.. reality is the market fullstop for watches is tiny and then take that tiny market to Ireland and it's smaller again..

Its like they would rather pay shipping, insurance and platform fees on ebay or chrono and deal with crims and chancers than do a simple sale locally for cash and make the same or more profit for 10% the hassle. Its real hubris to consider any potential buyer a source of annoyance or unworthy of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭micks_address

Its like they would rather pay shipping, insurance and platform fees on ebay or chrono and deal with crims and chancers than do a simple sale locally for cash and make the same or more profit for 10% the hassle. Its real hubris to consider any potential buyer a source of annoyance or unworthy of your time.

Well some do make stupid offer's... But I think some buyers are just a little less informed.. people buy an Omega and pay maybe 4k for it new in a dealer discount and think they have a 6k watch so when they go to sell it they think of course it's worth 4k..

Something like my aqua Terra which I think retailed around 5k new.. is probably worth in the region of 2500..i was offered 2400 Sterling on a UK forum before I even had it in my hand. I'd really like to hold onto it forever though. I'd love to add a moonwatch and 300m but probably will never be able to afford it.

Of course when I'm buying I always want the lowest price but highest when selling

• Advertisement

Of course when I'm buying I always want the lowest price but highest when selling

Hey thats just the dance, and half the fun. I always appreciate that anyone I am selling to is trying to get it as cheap as possible and guys I have had really tough negotiations with have turned out to be repeat customers and really top blokes.

I think you are right with Omega in particular, Long suffering Breitling sellers seem to price more realistically. When I have sold Omega I found that if you price appropriately (and I took some hard medicine from RRP) they fly out.

Tudor is a new one to me, never had one or sold one. They seem to get bough and sold quickly and often so maybe I am best out, although I like the designs and the quality seems top notch.

You would have a moonwatch and a SMP300 for the 5k you paid for the aquaterra....depressing thought.

Advertisement