Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

In addition to my stuck charger head above, I have the following issue. Would anyone have any ideas on this?

My setup is simple for now, just a 16amp line straight into the Zappi. No CT clamp/Harvi/Solar etc (for now).

When I plug the Zappie into the car (191 28kWh Hyundai Ioniq), the car tells me it will take 8 hours to charge from 75% to 100%. On a 16amp (3.6kWh) charger, this should take about 2 hours.

The Zappi says it's putting out 3.6kWh and the electrician says the car "just needs to get used to the new charger"! It seems the car does actually charge up over the 2 hours, but the estimated time taken is way off.

This means if I try to charge overnight from empty, the car will immediately start charging as it thinks it needs 24 hours to fill the car, when it only really needs 8. This makes it difficult to use timers to take advantage of night rate prices etc.

Is this something you've come across before? It's a brand new car and all other charging, on rapids, granny cables and 7kWh chargers have all resulted in the correct charge time estimate being displayed on the dash.

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,
    BigAl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

stimpson wrote: »
    Is that a type 2? My type 1 has a button on top for disconnecting. I didn’t get a holster though and I leave it draped over my post box.

Might be worth calling their support number.

Yeah it's a type 2/CCS charger cable. I'm in work so hard to call, but I've sent them an email.

It was raining and cold this morning so I didn't see a button, but I'll have another look for a release button on it when I get home, thanks for the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi,

In addition to my stuck charger head above, I have the following issue. Would anyone have any ideas on this?

My setup is simple for now, just a 16amp line straight into the Zappi. No CT clamp/Harvi/Solar etc (for now).

When I plug the Zappie into the car (191 28kWh Hyundai Ioniq), the car tells me it will take 8 hours to charge from 75% to 100%. On a 16amp (3.6kWh) charger, this should take about 2 hours.

The Zappi says it's putting out 3.6kWh and the electrician says the car "just needs to get used to the new charger"! It seems the car does actually charge up over the 2 hours, but the estimated time taken is way off.

This means if I try to charge overnight from empty, the car will immediately start charging as it thinks it needs 24 hours to fill the car, when it only really needs 8. This makes it difficult to use timers to take advantage of night rate prices etc.

Is this something you've come across before? It's a brand new car and all other charging, on rapids, granny cables and 7kWh chargers have all resulted in the correct charge time estimate being displayed on the dash.

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,
    BigAl.

The charging thing was discussed here recently. The Zappi starts off at a low rate and ramps up to full charge. The car sees the low rate and makes the time calculation based on that. Full charge rate is achieved in about a minute.

There was a suggestion to turn compatibility mode off, in the advanced settings, but this caused my charger to stop charging on it's timed settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Are you 100% sure it’s in Fast mode as opposed to one of the Eco modes? The Eco+ mode will carge at 1.6 kW with no solar connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hi,

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,
    BigAl.

This will solve that but apparently causes other side effects...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108342417

Maybe contact Zappi and see if they have a better solution now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

stimpson wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure it’s in Fast mode as opposed to one of the Eco modes? The Eco+ mode will carge at 1.6 kW with no solar connected.

To use a set timer on the Zappi, the mode has to be set to eco+ (2 leaves). If set to fast, it will start immediately, but will still ramp up the charging speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Hi,

Has anyone gotten their Zappi stuck in the holster thing? I've had it 2 days, and after we put the end of the cable into the holder, it got stuck.

I pulled, pushed, twisted etc and it just won't come out. Any ideas.....

471816.jpg

Thanks!!

My Zappi has a release button, but I still find it sometimes very hard to disconnect from the car in the morning. I'm quite often worried that I'll damage the car's charger trying to pull the Zappi out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭spakman

I assume you've pushed down the little button on top that keeps it locked in place?

spakman wrote: »
    I assume you've pushed down the little button on top that keeps it locked in place?

The release button? Yes, of course. Still stiff as feck, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

WD40 FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Could it have been frozen in place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Zappi (Gen 1) - with a Type 2 connector ordered. Going to buy a Type 2 to Type 1 adapter.

Should hopefully have it installed by this time next week :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Zappi (Gen 1) - with a Type 2 connector ordered. Going to buy a Type 2 to Type 1 adapter.

Should hopefully have it installed by this time next week :)

Where did you order from if you don't mind me asking?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Where did you order from if you don't mind me asking?

Getting the charger and harvi from thevecompany.com (Sister company of electricautos.ie) ==> http://theevcompany.com/product/zappi-charging-station-type-2-plug/

Sourcing the adapter as we speak - eBay most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Does anyone find the so called ip44 rated caps are useless, ours is just accumulating water inside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

calnand wrote: »
    Does anyone find the so called ip44 rated caps are useless, ours is just accumulating water inside of it.

Same

calnand wrote: »

Yep same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi guys, installed today. Any suggestions for settings?

From the manual I think eco plus plus set green to 100%

Then set boost timer for night saver?

Using it with the harvi.

Yes I think so. Eco plus sends all excess electricity to the car. Don't forget to plug in your car during the day :)

The only issue I can think of with the Zappi is that most EVs won't take less than 6A (1.4kW), so if your excess is say 1.3kW, it will go straight back to the grid and it will not charge the car at all.

Nice day for solar anyway. According to Accuweather the real feel temp is about -5C in Lucan at the moment, yet I've already generated 10kWh today (3.8kwp system)

I think a Zappi is next on my list too in the next few months...

Pretty sweet, 10kwh is my daily house usage. Very good going for early February!

• Advertisement

Yes, the average Irish household uses 3.5MWh per year (so just under 10kWh per day)

My 3.8kwp system produces more electricity than the average Irish household uses. That sentence is giving me a warm green feeling :p

A lot of hot water from the solar thermal today too...

unkel wrote: »
    Yes I think so. Eco plus sends all excess electricity to the car. Don't forget to plug in your car during the day :)

The only issue I can think of with the Zappi is that most EVs won't take less than 6A (1.4kW), so if your excess is say 1.3kW, it will go straight back to the grid and it will not charge the car at all.

Nice day for solar anyway. According to Accuweather the real feel temp is about -5C in Lucan at the moment, yet I've already generated 10kWh today (3.8kwp system)

8.2 kWh myself from 3.3kw system.

The min excess of 1.4kw is annoying already, Eddi is next on the list.

Will need to have a think about the charging schedule too. Might leave off charging on a friday night and saturday night with the car plugged in Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

The Eco setting will feed 1.4kw to the car and any shortfall is drawn from the grid so if you are producing 1.3 kW from PV you can still use it to charge the car, that's if you don't mind making up the shortfall from the grid.

denismc wrote: »
    The Eco setting will feed 1.4kw to the car and any shortfall is drawn from the grid so if you are producing 1.3 kW from PV you can still use it to charge the car, that's if you don't mind making up the shortfall from the grid.

Ya I want to use excess and nightsaver rather than daytime rate.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Ya I want to use excess and nightsaver rather than daytime rate.
    If more than 60% of your charge comes from PV then its still cheaper than night rate.

Thanks denismc, that is good to know. I guess there is no setting you can program that you want at least a certain power from the solar? I.e. you wouldn't want to charge the car in the dark (zero PV) at 1.4kW from the grid at the high day rate of electricity.

Trying to make a business case for myself to buy one. Need an untethered one (as I need to use a 15m length cable) and the new untethered model out this month is GBP695 (€795), which is frankly mad money for one. I can get my neighbour sparks to install it and I could sell my 7.2kW ABL unit for maybe €250, so still a net cost to me of €545

To break even, I would need to feed the car with almost 7000 kWh at a value of 8c (nightrate)/kWh with solar PV that I would lose to the grid for nothing otherwise. That's nearly 50k km driven. If I could exclusively charge the car with my own solar PV, it would take me 3 years to break even. Realistically more like 3 times that time, so getting closer to 10 years payback

Unless of course I would dramatically increase my solar PV. Not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭spakman

Trying to make a business case for myself to buy one. Need an untethered one (as I need to use a 15m length cable) and the new untethered model out this month is GBP695 (€795), which is frankly mad money for one. I can get my neighbour sparks to install it and I could sell my 7.2kW ABL unit for maybe €250, so still a net cost to me of €545

To break even, I would need to feed the car with almost 7000 kWh at a value of 8c (nightrate)/kWh with solar PV that I would lose to the grid for nothing otherwise. That's nearly 50k km driven. If I could exclusively charge the car with my own solar PV, it would take me 3 years to break even. Realistically more like 3 times that time, so getting closer to 10 years payback

Unless of course I would dramatically increase my solar PV. Not impossible.

Look at it practically. if you can afford it and it makes life easier, do it. Not everthing in life has to make sense on a spreadsheet.

I know what you're saying, but I have a perfectly fine charger, replacing it with a Zappi wouldn't make my life any easier. It wouldn't be better for the environment either. So it would have to make financial sense to do it. Not 100% so, as I see it as a toy too for playing with, which is worth something to me, but it would mostly have to make sense too.

• Advertisement

Thanks denismc, that is good to know. I guess there is no setting you can program that you want at least a certain power from the solar? I.e. you wouldn't want to charge the car in the dark (zero PV) at 1.4kW from the grid at the high day rate of electricity.
    There is an eco+ mode where you can set the percentage of power coming from the panels vs the grid, so you can set it so 80% of you power comes from PV and the rest from the grid.
    And the price increase for the new units is a lot for what seems to be a cosmetic change.

When I ordered my unit l got it with an 8m tethered cable so if you contact Myenergi they may still have some of the older units and they maybe able to put 15m cable on it.

Advertisement