Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi EVSE and Kona charge timer issue

Options
  • 13-10-2018 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have an Ioniq and a Zappi and do they have any issues with charge timers not reacting as expected?
    i.e. the charge session starting too early?

I can see how this would happen with more than just the Kona. The Leaf also interrogates the EVSE when you plug it in to see what rate the EVSE can provide. It then starts the charge session at the appropriate time to give you 100% at your departure time. If the EVSE, because its maximising SolarPV at the time, says it can only provide 2kW's right now then the car will assume that that's the max available and start the session way earlier than it should... which means peak rate electricity!!

Interesting dilema. Will Hyundai fix it or Zappi I wonder!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ioniq and Zappi are exactly the same, well I have not checked how early it starts to charge the car in the middle of the night, but definitely the time to charge is totally wrong displayed on the car. E.g. showing 10 hours when it takes 4.

At the start I only used the timer on the Zappi for 2 reasons.

1- If you set a timer on the car it may not charge when out and about during the day as car may be waiting for night rate.

2. There is a bug in some versions of ioniq firmware where it forgets timer settings so you might end up with no charge if it decides to forget one night.

I expect the same issue and design is in the kona where it shows longer charging time than reality and car may start charge earlier than necessary.

Now I use timer on Zappi and departure preheat on ioniq, which seems OK.

The reason is, as explained the Zappi advertises minimum power e.g. 1.2kw at the start, and then can ramp up in a few seconds to 7kw. I think they do this for solar installations where there may only be limited power available. Ioniq/kona could recalculate time to end based on current charge rate and update it every 15 seconds which would show the correct time until full properly. However if the car is waiting to decide itself when to start charging, it cannot know that more than 1.2kw is possible and has to start charging earlier.

I think a limited fix is possible in the car, but Zappi could have a menu option where it advertises full power, for non solar situations , so car will be able to properly start the charge at the right time . I believe the software in a Zappi can be updated, and it already has specific options so it works best with, for example Zoe.

At the moment it causes no issue for me, possibly the charge and or preheat is happening a little earlier than needed, but otherwise it is not a problem.

I emailed Zappi months ago about the time to full issue on ioniq and never got response

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There is a solution apparently....

In the Zappi menu:
    Other Settings--> Advanced-->Compatibility Mode-->Active-->OFF

I wonder what exactly that setting does and if it affects other cars or has some other downside.

Skip to 1:40

Advertisement