Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Craft Beers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Thats the definition of microbrewed. Completely different to craft brewed. Craft beer has no legal protection afaik

That's True! Which is why many Beers labelled as Craft Beers may be backed by a major drinks company like Coors. Ireland's beer consumer group, "Beoir" defines it the same way i described in my previous post.

http://www.beoir.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

What does craft beer even mean?

It means you're pretentious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A more accurate way of checking someones age than asking for ID, proper craft beers are wonderful and flavoursome. People that don't like them simply don't like beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

mfceiling wrote: »
    I've started drinking "craft" beers this last couple of months. I've found them all to have distinctive tastes - some nicer than others, but all of them are nicer than the bland, generic "household" names.

There's some awful sh*te parading itself as "craft" too though, some of the worst beers I've ever had were craft.

I'll enjoy a nice hoppy IPA or the like, but I've had stuff that tasted of nothing but hops, utterly bitter and nearly undrinkable. Brew Dog's Jackhammer is a good example of this, it's just a mouthful of hop burn and nothing else.

"Craft" can be just as ****e as anything else, and that's coming from someone who loves craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Give me a nice ruby ale over the common piss water larger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

The main thing that puts me off craft beer is its apparent ability to turn otherwise decent individuals into condescending, sneering bullies.

This is a very good point and I think it's becoming a big image problem for craft breweries at the moment. People who don't drink craft can sometimes associate those who do with being 'know it alls', or 'up their own arse'.

It's like there's a new culture of beer snobbery arriving which rightly turns people off even trying craft beers because they don't want to be lumped in as one of those types. I think because it's a relatively new thing the hipsterish type have latched onto it and are claiming it as their own.

So to anyone who is put off trying a craft beer, just do it! Don't mind the eejits who think they're onto the latest trends and find something you like yourself. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and at the end of the day the pubs always, and will always stock the old reliables if all else fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Love craft beers myself have found if a bar has them i am in i would be drinking them.

But my fave at the moment would be a strong 8% + stout. There is a pub i go to the odd time in waterford that has a lovely 12% oat and chocolate stout on tap and its just fantastic to drink as its so full of flavours and taste on like the crap regular everyday stouts.

Another fave of mine is the brooklyn double chocolate stout witch is 10% per bottle but its basically impossible to get down my way and always try and get a few bottles when i am in Dublin.

Metel Man in waterford is also a very good beer to drink and its so easy to drink compare to budwaser piss and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Any increase in choice has to be welcomed. When I started drinking, the choice of draught beers in many places was Guinness, Smithwicks, Harp and Bulmers. The options now are incredible, some better and some worse. It must be difficult to create a long term market now for new beers, it's becoming saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

@1st world problems

Icepick wrote: »
    @1st world problems

That's where we live...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I love when people b*tch about craft beer drinkers being condescending and sneering...whilst themselves being condescending and sneering at craft beer drinkers solely for liking different drinks to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The main thing that puts me off craft beer is its apparent ability to turn otherwise decent individuals into condescending, sneering bullies.

Beer snobbery. Yaay

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

95% of them are awful and taste like peaches or potpourri.

I could easily drink in a craft beer pub, if they werent full of bearded w@nkers smelling each others farts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I was talking to someone recently about craft beers, the conversation went thusly:

+ Do you like a pint of Guiness?

- Nah, wouldn't really be my favourite.

+ So, what do you drink?

- Ah I like ales, mainly the american type stuff, you know, IPA's and that kind of thing.

+ That craft beer stuff?

- I guess, yeah.

+ What do you drink that stuff for?

- Ah well I just like to try different things really, a bit of variation, you know?

+ Why?

- :confused:

- Well... I mean, you ever go out for a meal with the missus?

+ Yeah...

- Right, well you don't go to the exact same place and order the exact same thing every time, do you?

+ Yeah...

I dunno. The conversation was just a lost cause at that point. Incompatible views on life at a very fundamental level and no way to breach the gap.

I quite like Heineken. And Corolla. And I've had 'craft beers' I thought were horrendous (I'm looking at you Nogne Sunturnbrew!). But I just like to try out different things. I like some of the things I've had already, but I'm hardly going to limit myself to them when there's loads of other new and different things out there in the world to try that I may also like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Like most new "different" things that become popular it draws out the very worst part of the Irish character.

That being the opinion that anyone who does anything different and who dares to stray from the flock automatically has notions about themselves, is a snob and thinks they are better than everyone else.

It is a great way to spot the ignorant cretin mentality that is rife in this country.

Slattsy wrote: »

I could easily drink in a craft beer pub, if they werent full of bearded w@nkers smelling each others farts.

Miserable...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not everyone who drinks craft beers/ales have beards .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Slattsy wrote: »

Sounds like you're drinking in the toilet product section of Tescos to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

mfceiling wrote: »

Try drinking heineken, carlsberg, coors or bud in a blind taste - they all taste the same.

No they dont

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

One thing about living in the UK is that craft beer is just called real ale/porter/cider and they are drunk by those with skinny jeans and those who hate people in skinny jeans. Even better is they are usually quite cheap(£2.20 in my local for anything off the handpump) compared to the commercial stuff like carling selling for £3+. Hopefully Ireland goes that way once the intial snobbery is out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Selfish Giant

I've heard a lot about these so-called 'beer snobs', but in all honesty, the only consistent snobbery that I've come across is from people that prefer Guinness, Smithwicks, etc. I drink a range of beers, but I'll almost always have a smart remark thrown at me when I'm drinking a 'craft beer'. The amount of times that people have told me that I'm drinking piss, and these same guys refuse to even taste it! Imagine telling someone that they've terrible taste in music, without listening to a single song. It's very bizarre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

No they dont

Some have big bubbles, some have little bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Selfish Giant

No they dont

I agree. Coors, particularly Coors Light, is the worst alcoholic drink I've ever tasted. If my tongue was 'blindfolded' I'd still recognise its particular style of nothingness.

But to prove I'm not a 'beer snob', the second worst alcoholic drink that I've tasted was Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12, which is rated 'outstanding', with a score of 92/100, on Beeradvocate.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

lol the f**king thread title - "The TRUTH about Craft beers" as if the OP's opinion is the literal 'factual truth' for the planet
    Just opened a 1litre bottle of Black's of Kinsale Model T stout with three more to go. "The TRUTH about Buried getting very very drunk tonight".

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

kylith wrote: »
    This.

I love being able to try loads of different beers and find something that I like. I was in the Porterhouse recently and asked for the barmaid's recommendation and she poured me a couple of wee samples, which was nice of her. I went to the beerfest in 2013 and it was great fun.

It was nice but it should be standard. Lets face it you are paying more for supposedly premium product so a little sample to know that you like it is in order and is in fact good business, more than likely you will go back to the Porterhouse and they have just got some excellent free advertising here! I no longer live in Ireland so I am not sure what is normal there but a free sampler is no problem in any of the bars here in Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,129 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Give me choice. That's the main thing. The only thing I'm against is the same narrow range of generic brands in every pub. There should be no reason why you and I are unable to sit in the same pub and both get a beer we'd like.

Diageo nearly killed the concept of choice in this country so **** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Craft beers often tend to have strong tastes by design. That's why people who don't like them seem to really hate them. Mass produced beers, on the other hand, seem to be designed not to offend, rather than to please. Very little flavour at all, a lot of the time.
    Craft beers also use a lot of hops. I heard recently that, even tough the craft beer industry is a tiny percentage of the market (5-10%, maybe) it uses 60% of all the hops used in the brewing industry. So, if you don't like the taste of hops, then you're not going to like many craft beers.
    They are also often served at the wrong temperature. Lots of them should be served at 8 or 9 or even 12 degrees. Not 3 or 4 degrees like you would serve the mass market brands.
    I think they are great. They make drinking beer more interesting and fun than it has been for most of my adult life. I can't stand the inverted snobbery that seem to be rife on the internet against people who have dared to move away from the only 6 or 7 taps that could be seen in almost every pub in the country until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

All alcohol tastes horrible I refuse to believe anyone enjoys the taste of beer craft mass produced or otherwise.i only drink grey goose because its so neutral tasting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I bloody love German biers. The majority of bier brewed within it's borders is lovely. Absolutely bloody brilliant.

I also like trying a few craft beers from time to time but I drink too fast so they usually end up ming-warping me fairly quickly.

Wouldn't go for the buds or coors but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

As a bud drinker, the day I stop being asked how I can drink 'that piss-water' is the day I stop thinking all craft beer drinkers are pretentious hipster ****.

I like my piss-water thank you very much!

Advertisement