Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Craft Beers...

Options
  • 06-03-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

As we all know, there has been an explosion in the number of craft beers available on the market.

But very few of these are actually nice. (nicer than Bud, Coors etc but that would not be too hard) Most are too watery, too hoppy or just lack any sort of decent flavor.

There are of course exceptions. Five Lamps is a tasty brew as is Red Rebel but other ones which I've tasted have stood out for being totally unremarkable, forgettable or just insipid.

The fact of the matter is most, not all, craft beers su@k.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think thats more a personal opinion then a truth.

And everything is nicer then bud or coors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭circadian

It's a matter of opinion to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Different strokes for different folks...

People have different tastes, some like hoppy IPA's, some like high ABV doppelbocks, some like macro's.

It is what it is, just drink what you enjoy...simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Beer...mmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I like Bud and Coors. So yeah… fück you. Oh and craft beer tastes like dirty sock water strained through moody week old jock straps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I just spat out my Galway Hooker in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks...

People have different tastes, some like hoppy IPA's, some like high ABV doppelbocks, some like macro's.

It is what it is, just drink what you enjoy...simples

This.

I love being able to try loads of different beers and find something that I like. I was in the Porterhouse recently and asked for the barmaid's recommendation and she poured me a couple of wee samples, which was nice of her. I went to the beerfest in 2013 and it was great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

All very subjective, great to have the choices we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Hope that's the drink you're talking about. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Hope he gives you a discount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've no problem with bud or coors or hienakin either if it's good clean gaff and the beer is good and cold.

Craft beers are nice in that they being some choice and interest to the market.

I've also brewed some beer of my own, some has turned out great, some ordinary and some I just fed to the two pigs it was poor.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to try a craft beer but sometimes I just feel like swallowing a pint of ice cold bud.

So it's not that x is great and y is crap, I find it depends how I'm feeling what I want and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I'm living on a diet of Hobgoblin these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To each his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

most of them are horrendous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jetsonx wrote: »
    What do you think?

You should stick to bud, bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

jetsonx wrote: »
    As we all know, there has been an explosion in the number of craft beers available on the market.

But very few of these are actually nice. (nicer than Bud, Coors etc but that would not be too hard) Most are too watery, too hoppy or just lack any sort of decent flavor.

There are of course exceptions. Five Lamps is a tasty brew as is Red Rebel but other ones which I've tasted have stood out for being totally unremarkable, forgettable or just insipid.

The fact of the matter is most, not all, craft beers su@k.

What do you think?

I presume you're talking about Franciscan Wells beer Rebel Red. The Molson Coors company bought the brewery in 2013. Not sure if they are technically an Craft beer anymore since Coors operate them.

I like trying Craft beer and international beer. I always get a little disappointed when I walk into bar and see tap options are Guinness, Heineken, Bud and Bud Extra Cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Lidl do a lager, red ale and stout under the 'Irish Brewing Company' tag and theyre all yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

What does craft beer even mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I think that's your opinion OP. And your opinion sucks ass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

What does it take for something to be labelled as "craft beer", is it purely down to having manufactured batches below a certain level or what? I've certainly enjoyed many craft beers & it's great to have the variety available. However I am concerned the tag "craft" may simply become a buzzword used by manufacturers to sell beer at inflated prices that in many cases is not that great. The craft beer "revolution", while in some ways a positive for the consumer has also attracted a great many poseurs in beards & skinny jeans who wax lyrical about the glorified ditch water they delight in paying €6.60 a pint for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

love my hoppy beer but then I grew up in Yorkshire drinking hoppy beer. Haven't tasted a bad ipa or golden ale yet in the new craft beer guys up here.
    Each to there own mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The main thing that puts me off craft beer is its apparent ability to turn otherwise decent individuals into condescending, sneering bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

What does craft beer even mean?

Craft Beers are beers produced by a Brewery or Micro-Brewery that must be:

1. Legally and economically independent of any other brewery;

2. situated physically apart from any other brewery

3. the quantity of beer brewed in the brewery, including beer brewed for export, for consumption and under licence or contract arrangement for another brewery, must not have exceeded 30,000 hectolitres,

4. The quantity of beer brewed in the brewery under a licence, franchise or contract arrangement for another brewery must have been less than 50%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Craft Beers are beers produced by a Brewery or Micro-Brewery that must be:

1. Legally and economically independent of any other brewery;

2. situated physically apart from any other brewery

3. the quantity of beer brewed in the brewery, including beer brewed for export, for consumption and under licence or contract arrangement for another brewery, must not have exceeded 30,000 hectolitres,

4. The quantity of beer brewed in the brewery under a licence, franchise or contract arrangement for another brewery must have been less than 50%.

Thats the definition of microbrewed. Completely different to craft brewed. Craft beer has no legal protection afaik

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

mad muffin wrote: »
    I like Bud and Coors. So yeah… fück you. Oh and craft beer tastes of something

FYP;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OP should win the prize for 'sweeping generalisation to counter sweeping generalisation'!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

kylith wrote: »
    This.

I love being able to try loads of different beers and find something that I like. I was in the Porterhouse recently and asked for the barmaid's recommendation and she poured me a couple of wee samples, which was nice of her. I went to the beerfest in 2013 and it was great fun.

Did she chill the wee samples first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

"Craft" is up in the air, there's a bajillion different styles and flavours out there it's ridiculous to say anything in broad strokes.

I prefer nice malty ales and porters, someone else will prefer their crazy high percentage beers, but I can't drink them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Aye, How many are from large brewery's that produce the swill to plug into this market. I would wager a lot are and people will attune their taste to this fact rather than the product being superior. If you blind taste test between a cheap version and a premium version most people cant tell the difference. If you then do the same but tell people one is cheap and other other is the expensive one people will like the expensive one even though it could be the cheap one in the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Your arse OP.

Try drinking heineken, carlsberg, coors or bud in a blind taste - they all taste the same.

I've started drinking "craft" beers this last couple of months. I've found them all to have distinctive tastes - some nicer than others, but all of them are nicer than the bland, generic "household" names.

Advertisement